Poll

Who likes the changes at Wimby?

I like the faster combo better
I like the slower combo better
I like them both the same

Author Topic: Who likes the changes at Wimby?  (Read 19048 times)

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
Re: Who likes the changes at Wimby?
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
The graphic where Roger's serve at 126 MPH in 2003 has more pop at the return end vs this year is BULLCRAP!

That's not scientific in nature but pure stupidity and lack of any scientific knowledge!

For people who went to an actual science class.......there is stuff known as dependable and independent VARIABLES, something thatwas totally ignore in that comparison.

From that graph......can we tell what TYPE of serve Roger used? You have a horizontal and vertical plane and the ball travels in both planes with more inclination towards the horizontal and biased towards the vertical.....can you tell me percentage wise what trajectory did Roger's serve travel in both example?

What about the spin? The spin changes EVERYTHING ON A SERVE......the reaction, bounce and direction is directly affected by the SPIN. A 126 MPH serve with 4000 RPM is totally different than a 126 MPH serve at 1000 RPM.

There is no way in hell you can deduct the court is slower today vs 2003 in that graphic alone.

Instead we have STATS that tell MOST of the story...but why pay attention to those? Roger's serve HIS BEST this SW19 vs any other SW19 he had in the past. He wasn't even broken at Halle...........and at Wimby he was UNTOUCHABLE with ACES and service winners....STATS only possible on GRASS!

Roger's serve is better today vs 2003....MUCH improve and he can thank the spin he is using NOW...more heavy, more Sampras LIKE!

Also people ignore Rafa won Queens which is consider faster with a lower bounce vs SW19. Rafa is a GRASSCOURTER, he shares the athleticism and creativity of past great grasscourters like Sampras and Becker.

Sore losers and haters....that's what you are....I challenge anybody to prove to me that grass doesn't play like grass anymore. The bounce is little bit higher due to the improve dirt under the grass.....eliminating BAD BOUNCES, instead of winning a point base on LUCK...Now you have to earn it base on YOUR SKILLS.

I don't expect people to show face and actually challenge me with a smart reply.....just like I didn't get any on the question pose by MT on why Rafa/Roger H2H is what is today taking into accounts the dynamics on Hardcourts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:41:25 PM by huntingyou »

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »
I always agree with what you say Huntingyou, but there's no need to get aggressive and start attacking others!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
The graphic where Roger's serve at 126 MPH in 2003 has more pop at the return end vs this year is BULLCRAP!

That's not scientific in nature but pure stupidity and lack of any scientific knowledge!

For people who went to an actual science class.......there is stuff known as dependable and independent VARIABLES, something thatwas totally ignore in that comparison.

From that graph......can we tell what TYPE of serve Roger used? You have a horizontal and vertical plane and the ball travels in both planes with more inclination towards the horizontal and biased towards the vertical.....can you tell me percentage wise what trajectory did Roger's serve travel in both example?

What about the spin? The spin changes EVERYTHING ON A SERVE......the reaction, bounce and direction is directly affected by the SPIN. A 126 MPH serve with 4000 RPM is totally different than a 126 MPH serve at 1000 RPM.

There is no way in hell you can deduct the court is slower today vs 2003 in that graphic alone.

Instead we have STATS that tell MOST of the story...but why pay attention to those? Roger's serve HIS BEST this SW19 vs any other SW19 he had in the past. He wasn't even broken at Halle...........and at Wimby he was UNTOUCHABLE with ACES and service winners....STATS only possible on GRASS!

Roger's serve is better today vs 2003....MUCH improve and he can thank the spin he is using NOW...more heavy, more Sampras LIKE!

Also people ignore Rafa won Queens which is consider faster with a lower bounce vs SW19. Rafa is a GRASSCOURTER, he shares the athleticism and creativity of past great grasscourters like Sampras and Becker.

Sore losers and haters....that's what you are....I challenge anybody to prove to me that grass doesn't play like grass anymore. The bounce is little bit higher due to the improve dirt under the grass.....eliminating BAD BOUNCES, instead of winning a point base on LUCK...Now you have to earn it base on YOUR SKILLS.

I don't expect people to show face and actually challenge me with a smart reply.....just like I didn't get any on the question pose by MT on why Rafa/Roger H2H is what is today taking into accounts the dynamics on Hardcourts.
Apparently you haven't figured out why you're not getting any responses (other than this smart aleck remark).  :bye1:  Toodles.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »

Apparently you haven't figured out why you're not getting any responses (other than this smart aleck remark).  :bye1:  Toodles.

You didn't reply because you got nothing to say...simple as that! You want me to post it here and force a reply out of you?

This is a forum....I may sound agressive but is just a forum, I actually bring arguments instead of biased opinions.

If I ever really offend anyone, just tell me and I will ask for forgiveness...........I personally don't care if people use "agressive" online chat vs me. I can hold my own quite well!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
I always agree with what you say Huntingyou, but there's no need to get aggressive and start attacking others!

Some might say almost everything Huntingyou says is aggressive and in attack of somebody else  :whistle:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »
The slow grass is why I made the controversial statement that Sampras would only have a few wimby titles if he had to play on it. I got it from all sides on that one!!  :)>>>>

grass may be a little slower but it is still a big server friendly and a big hitter friendly. how else can you explain Fed`s 25 aces and 89 winners against one of the greatest defensive players of all time. he couldnt get a ball past Nadal on clay and yet hits for nearly 90 winners on grass.

its just an excuse and a crutch for people to say that grass is similar to clay in Paris. its the game itself that is a lot faster than it has ever been. these guys are hitting 100 MPH forehands and 93+ MPH backhands even on slower surfaces.
Fed hits a 100 MPH forehand here and there on clay. he hit one forehand at 101 MPH on grass. his serve is jsut a monster on grass. he never lost his serve in Halle. he lost his serve just twice before running into Nadal.

at Roland Garros, Nadal toyed with his serve and broke it 7 or 8 times. for the tournament (Roland Garros), Nadal broke serve better than 2 times out of 3. he does that on grass, nobody would ever win more than 2 games in a set against him.

I threw down some ha-lacious stats supporting ^^^^ this ^^^^ view, too. I think I've finally boiled the crux of the matter down to this: Federer, Roddick and Blake fans look for excuses when their favorite players lose.
That's odd, I like the 3 players you've mentioned, but I wouldn't consider going to the effort of trying to make excuses for their loses in a tennis forum.  :Confused:
Much the same as I wouldn't accept any congrats if they happen to win a match.  Why should a fan get congratulated?  Seems juvenile to me.  :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »

Some might say almost everything Huntingyou says is aggressive and in attack of somebody else  :whistle:

when people are expose.....they tend not to like that. That's all...really, just look at the nature of this thread and read all the biased opinions from most posters and then look at what I had to say regarding that!

If you disagree that's cool...... :ZZZZZ) :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2008, 03:03:35 PM »

You didn't reply because you got nothing to say...simple as that! You want me to post it here and force a reply out of you?

This is a forum....I may sound agressive but is just a forum, I actually bring arguments instead of biased opinions.

If I ever really offend anyone, just tell me and I will ask for forgiveness...........I personally don't care if people use "agressive" online chat vs me. I can hold my own quite well!

Kid, you can't offend me or intimidate me so don't worry about that. :rofl_2:
I have plenty to say on this and other tennis matters, but I won't be discussing those matters with you, thank you.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
Certainly an over-statement on my part calling the Wimby surface grass-clay. :)
Nicely noted on your part Shank that the balls have been changed as well.

As much as I dislike Nadal's stalling tactics, my intention is not to discredit his achievements.  Aside from that one flaw, he is obviously a great champion and will undoubtedly take his rightful place amongst the all-time greats provided he stays healthy.

My concern is the fact that between technology and the change in court surfaces variety in the pro game will decrease.

I find it interesting that there has been no response yet to my possible explanation for the lopsided HTH record between Rafa and Roger, other than the fact that Rafa is wonderful and beautiful (for Kittens and the girls)! ;-()

Too easy!

You think somehow you have discover a "fact" that explains the H2H, but thats where you are wrong!

First:

Nadal is FIVE years younger than Roger, while Federer mastered his game Nadal was discovering HIS. A claycourter upbringing means he was groom to dominate the dirt FIRST and of course if you were from Spain then you would understand this type of mentality!
Nadal's biggest weapon outside of his forehand is his MOVEMENT and soft surfaces allows this movement to flow freely while HC does the opposite!

What's Roger H2H vs Rafter and Kafelnikov? Can you blame Federer?

The same applies to Rafa......the deal is you need to forget about claycourt achievement in order to properly RANK his all court game; look at Murray and Gasquet for example, have they realize their potential? So why so most pressure on Rafa to outperform Roger on hardcourts when he wasn't even as good as Rafa has been on hardcourts up to age 22? Care to explain!

Second:

What makes you think Roger would OWN Rafa on hardcourts finals if the only time they played a 5 set match Rafa was ahead two sets to NONE and a Break? Roger only owns Rafa on carpets...but who doesn't? At the end of the year on his worst surface is easy to see why Roger has beat Rafa easily at the TMC...so did Nalby !
I have no doubts Rafa would still present problems to Roger at MOST hardcourts surfaces including AO and the UO......it's you the one who can't see this; two years ago on a faster surface than the UO Rafa OWNED Roger at Dubai......and it was a final, did you forget about that?

Third:

You speak like Rafa's career is over and he will not reach hardcourt finals to meet Roger........funny because Nadal is just entering his PRIME...you know that age from 22-25 where Males reach their peak!

Anyway.......  where was Rafa at Miami MS 2005 final? Where was Roger at Montreal MS 2005? Where was Roger at Madrid MS 2005? Where was Rafa at Dubai final 2006? Where was Roger at IW MS 2007? Where was Roger at Paris MS 2007? Where was Roger at Miami MS 2008?

If you can count those are FIVE BIG EVENTS finals where Roger failed to MEET Nadal? the other two...they split although Rafa should have won Miami in the third set?

What worst for you is, Nadal is 22 and although you don't care this FACT is HUGE and will play a role in the future just like it did in the past.

For the record; Wimbledon Uses the same ball that was use in the 90s with a 3% difference in size, same pressure.......that's a FACT. The reason the game seems so different to you is because S&V is DEAD......blame racket technology for this! Sampras could have play his game in today's grass...probably with minor adjustments.....the reason the ball seems to bounce so high is because there is MORE SPIN and PACE across the TOUR which change the dynamics of how the ball react to the surface....since a ball at 75 MPH with 1000 RPM will never bounce higher than a ball at 95 MPH at 4000-5000 RPM. Physics!

and Nadal is areal champion ALREADY...Pete never won the FO but you don't see me questioning his career...do you?

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »
MT,

You can't respond....you have nothing to say to argue in favor of your OPINION.

To call me kid and thump your chest like a big scary guy doesn't do anything to help your cause. I simply debunk your biased opinions with intelligent arguments and FACTS.

I don't need for you to reply........everybody in this forum can READ what I said!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »
MT,

You can't respond....you have nothing to say to argue in favor of your OPINION.

To call me kid and thump your chest like a big scary guy doesn't do anything to help your cause. I simply debunk your biased opinions with intelligent arguments and FACTS.

I don't need for you to reply........everybody in this forum can READ what I said!

You're funny. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »

when people are expose.....they tend not to like that. That's all...really, just look at the nature of this thread and read all the biased opinions from most posters and then look at what I had to say regarding that!

That was a very calm response, I didn't see that one coming I thought you'd be in for my head  :rofl_2: Most of the opinions and comments these past 2-3 weeks have been biased and in some cases far too aggressive and bad natured with regards to this whole Fed vs Rafa thing, your by no means the only 1 to have done this but some of you just need to talk a step back and calm it a little as I've not seen so many people fired up on here for 2 and a hlaf years when it was a constant battle of Maria vs the Williams Sisters.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »

That was a very calm response, I didn't see that one coming I thought you'd be in for my head  :rofl_2: Most of the opinions and comments these past 2-3 weeks have been biased and in some cases far too aggressive and bad natured with regards to this whole Fed vs Rafa thing, your by no means the only 1 to have done this but some of you just need to talk a step back and calm it a little as I've not seen so many people fired up on here for 2 and a hlaf years when it was a constant battle of Maria vs the Williams Sisters.

Not at all......why would I? You are not calling grass green clay or any nonsense like that.

Like I said; it's all cool......people can disagree. The reason why there are heated arguments is because Nadal haters try to downplay rafa's achievements.......backdoor compliments are not welcome. It puzzle me how many people truly dislike Nadal..........there was an unconventional player in the past called Borg, he did alright!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »

Not at all......why would I? You are not calling grass green clay or any nonsense like that.

Like I said; it's all cool......people can disagree. The reason why there are heated arguments is because Nadal haters try to downplay rafa's achievements.......backdoor compliments are not welcome. It puzzle me how many people truly dislike Nadal..........there was an unconventional player in the past called Borg, he did alright!

Just seen you going at a few comments so expected me to feel that as well now  :rofl_2: but fair play you didn't go for that too. Green grass as clay is not a comparison that can be made, the only way that can be said is that compared to 10-20 years ago its slightly more like that because now the bounce is a little higher while the speed is slightly slower.
The Nadal haters as you put it have said some stupid things of late about his achievements but at the same time the Nadal fans have not been angels and some of them have been much worse at talking down Fed's achievements and that even now he's still the number 1 and been in 2 Slam Finals this year. Its all got too much from both sides I feel.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

Just seen you going at a few comments so expected me to feel that as well now  :rofl_2: but fair play you didn't go for that too. Green grass as clay is not a comparison that can be made, the only way that can be said is that compared to 10-20 years ago its slightly more like that because now the bounce is a little higher while the speed is slightly slower.
The Nadal haters as you put it have said some stupid things of late about his achievements but at the same time the Nadal fans have not been angels and some of them have been much worse at talking down Fed's achievements and that even now he's still the number 1 and been in 2 Slam Finals this year. Its all got too much from both sides I feel.

if Rafa says Roger is the best....then he is!

Still #1 and going into the best part of the year for him. Fast hardcourts! I always respect Roger and think he is almost there when it comes to Sampras....I for one don't buy the weak competition argument or 90s were full of amazing players!

I think he is still the favorite for the UO and Rafa can't be better than TOP 3 favorite, he has issues that need fixing if he is going to win the UO or AO.

something you have to understand is: Rafa get's ridicule 24/7........even Drysdale last year said Rafa will never win SW19.......and pretty much called him 1D at this year AO. Why? His unconventional game! Too difficult for some people to really apreciate what can do!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »

Still #1 and going into the best part of the year for him. Fast hardcourts! I always respect Roger and think he is almost there when it comes to Sampras....I for one don't buy the weak competition argument or 90s were full of amazing players!

I think he is still the favorite for the UO and Rafa can't be better than TOP 3 favorite, he has issues that need fixing if he is going to win the UO or AO.

something you have to understand is: Rafa get's ridicule 24/7........even Drysdale last year said Rafa will never win SW19.......and pretty much called him 1D at this year AO. Why? His unconventional game! Too difficult for some people to really apreciate what can do!

You're one of the few Rafa fans on here that has come out and said that about Fed, and thats refreshing to see :applause: I think you call it extremely well with regards to the US Open.

I understand that there have been a lot of negative comments over Rafa over the years and still upto this point from all across the world, but its upto Rafa to prove those doubters wrong and I KNOW he definitely will. During the early times on here I was one of the only ones to continuously defend Rafa as a lot didn't like him and was the only person to guarantee that Rafa would definitely win Wimbledon one day- all the others thought I was mad, but I knew with his game, talent and desire he's do it one day. Now I'm still saying the same about him on a hardcourt. His motivation to improve and win at all costs wll see him win either the Australian or US Open or even both- I'm sure of that and when he does then you get to remind the doubters exactly that  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:18 PM »

You're one of the few Rafa fans on here that has come out and said that about Fed, and thats refreshing to see :applause: I think you call it extremely well with regards to the US Open.

I understand that there have been a lot of negative comments over Rafa over the years and still upto this point from all across the world, but its upto Rafa to prove those doubters wrong and I KNOW he definitely will. During the early times on here I was one of the only ones to continuously defend Rafa as a lot didn't like him and was the only person to guarantee that Rafa would definitely win Wimbledon one day- all the others thought I was mad, but I knew with his game, talent and desire he's do it one day. Now I'm still saying the same about him on a hardcourt. His motivation to improve and win at all costs wll see him win either the Australian or US Open or even both- I'm sure of that and when he does then you get to remind the doubters exactly that  :)

Well, that was refreshing to read.... Thank you both! :thumbs-up:

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
I'm so against about slowering the courts! Wy we wouldn't have two slower courts and two faster courts in GS's. There is FO and AO( i think it should be more slower, this new surface is faster then the old one right?) and on the other side Wimbledon and US Open. It would be so fun to watch different surfaces.
I just wanna ask, why is grass on Wimbledon every year slower and slower?

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm so against about slowering the courts! Wy we wouldn't have two slower courts and two faster courts in GS's. There is FO and AO( i think it should be more slower, this new surface is faster then the old one right?) and on the other side Wimbledon and US Open. It would be so fun to watch different surfaces.

Myth......the grass became gradually slower in a period of two or three years. The same grasscourt where Roger lost last week....is the same grasscourt where he won 5 in a row.

The game has become bigger and bigger, blame racket technology if you want but players today can rip the ball off both wings over 100 mph. In the 90s for example; Pete serve was around 130 mph.....today 130 mph is nothing because almost every player on tour can hit that mark!

Watch Sampras vs Goran final and then watch Roger vs Nadal final (any of them) and you will understand WHY Wimbledon officials had to change the grasscourt.

Still, if you go out there and step on the court to hit a few balls....you will soon understand Grass is still Grass....just like Sampras said!

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »

Myth......the grass became gradually slower in a period of two or three years. The same grasscourt where Roger lost last week....is the same grasscourt where he won 5 in a row.

The game has become bigger and bigger, blame racket technology if you want but players today can rip the ball off both wings over 100 mph. In the 90s for example; Pete serve was around 130 mph.....today 130 mph is nothing because almost every player on tour can hit that mark!

Watch Sampras vs Goran final and then watch Roger vs Nadal final (any of them) and you will understand WHY Wimbledon officials had to change the grasscourt.

Still, if you go out there and step on the court to hit a few balls....you will soon understand Grass is still Grass....just like Sampras said!

But why is slower, is the type of grass different or what? I can unterstand why the officials had to change the grasscourt but I still think that players can play with the old speed with new rackets

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)