Author Topic: Knee injury  (Read 6152 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Knee injury
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
Just got off the phone with insurance (Cigna).  They rejected my request for an MRI.  Makes sense to me.... I guess not being able to walk up stairs does not raise a flag like it used to....   

I'm thinking that I have a grade 2-3 MCL tear, which would keep me out about 2-3 months.  I've already been out 1 month, so hopefully 1 more month should nearly complete it.... 
Is it worth it to foot the bill out of pocket?
From my experience, you'd be amazed at how medical costs drop when you're paying cash!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »
Just got off the phone with insurance (Cigna).  They rejected my request for an MRI.  Makes sense to me.... I guess not being able to walk up stairs does not raise a flag like it used to....   

I'm thinking that I have a grade 2-3 MCL tear, which would keep me out about 2-3 months.  I've already been out 1 month, so hopefully 1 more month should nearly complete it.... 
From my experience, you'd be amazed at how medical costs drop when you're paying cash!

It's actually feeling bit better over the past week, so hopefully I'm turningb the corner.  I'm just going to come back slowly and not push too hard.  I would pay with cash if I wasn't showing signs of healing.  We'll see how it goes.   
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »

It's actually feeling bit better over the past week, so hopefully I'm turningb the corner.  I'm just going to come back slowly and not push too hard.  I would pay with cash if I wasn't showing signs of healing.  We'll see how it goes.   
://
Slow is the word.  It took me several re-injuries to learn that fact the hard way. :mad1: :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 08:02:31 AM »

Slow is the word.  It took me several re-injuries to learn that fact the hard way. :mad1: :(

I know....I feel impatient.  Just because I can now walk up the stairs with only very mid discomfort, I want to grab a racquet and head out.  The better side of me knows I need to wait longer!   2 more weeks would be a good idea.   I'm like an addict who knows there is dope right around the corner.   It's very difficult to stay away.     :)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:19 PM »

I know....I feel impatient.  Just because I can now walk up the stairs with only very mid discomfort, I want to grab a racquet and head out.  The better side of me knows I need to wait longer!   2 more weeks would be a good idea.   I'm like an addict who knows there is dope right around the corner.   It's very difficult to stay away.     :)
That's a most excellent comparison! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »

So, you have true experience here?   So, you are or were a dope addict?   :rofl_2:

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »

So, you have true experience here?   So, you are or were a dope addict?   :rofl_2:
That's a little too personal for public consumption!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

Settle down now!    :-) 

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »

That's a little too personal for public consumption!

My bad...............besides, I was just joking anyway!   ;-()

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »
My knees have both been aching lately which makes me a little nervous.  Not sure if I need a little rest of not.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 06:55:30 AM »
My knees have both been aching lately which makes me a little nervous.  Not sure if I need a little rest of not.

If you don't stop, at least ice them down after you play.

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 11:39:43 PM »
Thats a good idea.  My knees kill me the day after I play hard.  I know that I will need work done to them in the future.  I have been WAY over weight for years.  I have lost 60 pounds in the last year, but I need to loose another 30.  I am just hoping that as I continue to loose the weight, that my knees will feel better.  Until then, I just take 800mg of "Vitamin I" and  tough it out. ;-()

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
Thats a good idea.  My knees kill me the day after I play hard.  I know that I will need work done to them in the future.  I have been WAY over weight for years.  I have lost 60 pounds in the last year, but I need to loose another 30.  I am just hoping that as I continue to loose the weight, that my knees will feel better.  Until then, I just take 800mg of "Vitamin I" and  tough it out. ;-()
Boy does that sound familiar!
I've even added Glucosamine/Chondritin to the vitamin I.

Good on ya for droppin' the 60 lbs!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »
What brand of Glucosamine/Chondritin do you suggest??  Drink or pills???  Sounds like thats exactly what I need.....but a little advice first would help.  Thanks.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
What brand of Glucosamine/Chondritin do you suggest??  Drink or pills???  Sounds like thats exactly what I need.....but a little advice first would help.  Thanks.
I'm currently using a brand called Finest Natural.
For me, there was an extended lag time before I noticed any improvement.  If I remember right it was well over 8 weeks.  However, once it kicked in, there was a definitely an improvement in both my shoulder and my knees.

I typically buy it at Walgreens and wait for the specials as it can get a bit expensive.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
For me, there was an extended lag time before I noticed any improvement.  If I remember right it was well over 8 weeks.  However, once it kicked in, there was a definitely an improvement in both my shoulder and my knees.

I typically buy it at Walgreens and wait for the specials as it can get a bit expensive.

Thanks, I am going to pick some up today.  Even if its not on special.  If it takes time to kick in, then I need to get on it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 03:41:03 PM »

Thanks, I am going to pick some up today.  Even if its not on special.  If it takes time to kick in, then I need to get on it.

The doctor who "prescribed" it for me told me it takes about a month for it to really take effect, if it has any effect at all. Some people get more benefit from it than others.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

The doctor who "prescribed" it for me told me it takes about a month for it to really take effect, if it has any effect at all. Some people get more benefit from it than others.

Well I bought a 2 month supply.  I hope this helps.  I bought this stuff called Osteo Bi-Flex and it has both Glucosamine and Chondroitin along with MSM w/ Joint Shield....whatever that is.  It also says it has something called 5-Loxin that is supposed to help it take effect as quickly as 7 days.  Whatever.....who know, but something has gotta help and I hope this does.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »

Well I bought a 2 month supply.  I hope this helps.  I bought this stuff called Osteo Bi-Flex and it has both Glucosamine and Chondroitin along with MSM w/ Joint Shield....whatever that is.  It also says it has something called 5-Loxin that is supposed to help it take effect as quickly as 7 days.  Whatever.....who know, but something has gotta help and I hope this does.

I've posted this here before, but it's been awhile, so I'll post it again.
The way my doctor described it is that the Glucosamine is what's important. It's something the body produces while you are young, but stops after about 30 or 40.
Chondroitin is an anti-inflametory. Of the two things the Chondroitin is the expensive part, while Glucosomine is pretty cheap. He said I should avoid getting the combo and just look for Glucosomine by itself. You can get it much cheaper that way, and the Glucosomine is what you really need.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 08:34:46 PM »
So, if the body stops naturally creating glucosamine at 30 or 40, then what are the side effects of putting it into your body at that time?   Also, taking glucosamine...............does it go to the joints or does it go around the body?   My understanding is that it is all about the fluids deteriorating in the joints themselves and that you actually need specific injections straight into the joint and not just into the whole body!?