Author Topic: ATP : Cincinnati Masters, Ohio July 28-August 3, 2008  (Read 53098 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: ATP : Cincinnati Masters, Ohio July 28-August 3, 2008
« Reply #720 on: August 01, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »
I just got back from work. Congrats to Rafa, new #1. I'm happy for Novak too. I'm not sure how he played, all I know is he won in straight sets. It would be nice if anybody can tell me some details. I didn't see the match. Cheers.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #721 on: August 01, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »
I just got back from work. Congrats to Rafa, new #1. I'm happy for Novak too. I'm not sure how he played, all I know is he won in straight sets. It would be nice if anybody can tell me some details. I didn't see the match. Cheers.

I didn't see the match either but I heard he player really well.  I still haven't picked his next match in my pick-em game!  It's tight!  Who to go with?  Nadal? Djokovic?  Nadal?  Djokovic?  I'm so confused!!!!! :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
« Reply #722 on: August 01, 2008, 09:41:48 PM »
It's going to be very weird for me to see Nadal as the #1 seed after Federer has been here for so long.  My mind still hasn't really comprehended it. 

Offline sofico

• Tennis God
« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »
MASON - August 1, 2008 - Rafael Nadal is guaranteed to claim the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Ranking this month after reaching the semifinals at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters with a 7-6(3), 6-1 victory over Ecuadorian Nicolas Lapentti on Friday night.

The 22-year-old Spaniard will replace Roger Federer as the new World No. 1 player in the South African Airways ATP Rankings this month. The timing of Nadal's rise to No. 1 depends on his results in Cincinnati:

- If Nadal wins the title, he will become No. 1 this Monday.
- If Nadal loses in the final he will become No. 1 on August 11
- If Nadal loses in the semifinals he will become No. 1 on August 18

Federer has held the top ranking a record 235 consecutive weeks (since Feb. 2, 2004) and Nadal has been No. 2 for a record 158 straight weeks (since July 25, 2005). The last player to rank No. 1 before Federer's reign was Andy Roddick the week of Jan. 26, 2004.

The Spaniard will become the 24th player in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 1973) to hold the No. 1 position. He will join countrymen Carlos Moya (1999) and Juan Carlos Ferrero (2003) to rank No. 1.

Nadal, who also won his career-best 32nd consecutive match on Friday, has reached the semifinals or better in all nine ATP Masters Series tournaments in his career. He will attempt to become the first player to reach the final in all nine when he plays World No. 3 Novak Djokovic in the semifinals on Saturday. Nadal leads the all-time series 9-3, winning the last three meetings this year.

Thank you Dallas for the info  :)). wow Federer's record as n1 is impressive. I think only Steffi Graf follows Federer as being ranked n1 for more consecutive weeks if I'm not wrong. Federer broke the record last year. Anyways, let's see if Rafa can get the spot as soon as Monday 4th
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:44:55 PM by sofico »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #724 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »

When I turned up for the Murray-Moya match at noon today, the two ladies in the next row asked "Who are you backing?" "Murray, I suppose" I said. "Bad choice" I was told "You're a loser" . Well the first set indeed looked like that. Murray was serving like crap (Above source, one of who is a lawyer said that is an acceptable legal term), his other shots were no better than so-so while Moya had all the mature finesse that he showed the previous day with Davydenko and later (although I did not see it) with Andreev. One o'clock came around and I was pleased to leave to find FreeBird with the score in the second set something like 2-1. Well, it appeared that just after I left, Moya ran out of gas and lost that set and the third (26 63 61). Evidently all that tennis in the summer heat had been too much for him. "Why did you have to leave?" I was asked. "Things were going fine until then" Murray evidently did not improve with first serve % less than 50%. It was all Moya. Still I'm glad Andy won.

FreeBird and I found each other and went off to lunch on a traditional Cincinnati dish (must get the name some time) along with much beer. He had a ticket to a friend's box (nicer seat than mine) and we saw Karlovic-Kohlschreiber play. Karlovic won 76(6) 76(3) and it was very similar to the match against Fed yesterday. Kohlschreiber actually played quite well when he was serving but also had problems with the Karlovic serve. Again the fatal statistics of small numbers effect in Karlovic tie-breaks was demonstrated. Karlovic's game has improved a lot in the last year or so. It's not just serve and he did some nice things at the net. I'm beginning to wonder if he might win the whole show here. I'm pessimistic about the semi against Murray from what I saw today and even Rafa/Nole might be taken by surprise.

The we watched Djokovic-Gulbis. Djokovic was much more alive than he was two days ago when I saw him. It was what hercules calls (I think) a slugfest with good serving on both sides. But Djokovic had marginally better control of the putaway points and the outcome looked pretty predictable. Gulbis, though, is a guy to be watched. He's improved enormously. After a set of this FreeBird left to go back home and I went back to my regular seat only to find that most of the Djokovic family had moved into a neighboring box, complete with serbian flag, NOLE letter boards and NOLE T-shirts. Alex would have loved it. Final score 63 64 .

There was about an hour's break before Nadal-Lapentti which started at 7pm. This was an unusual match which seemed almost to be in slow motion after all the slugging of Djokovic-Gulbis. Lapentti again played a very nice game with many nicely constructed points, clean drop volleys, and well aimed ground shots. It was a lot more competitive than the score 76(3) 61 suggests. Rafa really only came to fist-pumping life in the last couple of games. Perhaps he was trying to save energy. In any case, he will have to up the voltage when he meets Djokovic tomorrow if he is to get to the final.  Should be a good one.

Offline sofico

• Tennis God
« Reply #725 on: August 01, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »

Hi,

I watch the match and Novak seems to have pick up his game.It was very tight at the beginning, but then Djokovic broke and he handled the rest quite good. I don't remember if he faced another break point in the 1 set , the service was solid. Gulbis started playing very well (I think he had break chances in the 1st game of the 1st set, but then he kind of lost his concentration and then he called the trainer at the end of the 1st set.
The second set started kind of the same, very tight. Gulbis had chances but couldn't convert. Djokovic's serve in the 2nd set was very solid

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #726 on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

Hi,

I watch the match and Novak seems to have pick up his game.It was very tight at the beginning, but then Djokovic broke and he handled the rest quite good. I don't remember if he faced another break point in the 1 set , the service was solid. Gulbis started playing very well (I think he had break chances in the 1st game of the 1st set, but then he kind of lost his concentration and then he called the trainer at the end of the 1st set.
The second set started kind of the same, very tight. Gulbis had chances but couldn't convert. Djokovic's serve in the 2nd set was very solid
Thank you.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #727 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »

When I turned up for the Murray-Moya match at noon today, the two ladies in the next row asked "Who are you backing?" "Murray, I suppose" I said. "Bad choice" I was told "You're a loser" . Well the first set indeed looked like that. Murray was serving like crap (Above source, one of who is a lawyer said that is an acceptable legal term), his other shots were no better than so-so while Moya had all the mature finesse that he showed the previous day with Davydenko and later (although I did not see it) with Andreev. One o'clock came around and I was pleased to leave to find FreeBird with the score in the second set something like 2-1. Well, it appeared that just after I left, Moya ran out of gas and lost that set and the third (26 63 61). Evidently all that tennis in the summer heat had been too much for him. "Why did you have to leave?" I was asked. "Things were going fine until then" Murray evidently did not improve with first serve % less than 50%. It was all Moya. Still I'm glad Andy won.

FreeBird and I found each other and went off to lunch on a traditional Cincinnati dish (must get the name some time) along with much beer. He had a ticket to a friend's box (nicer seat than mine) and we saw Karlovic-Kohlschreiber play. Karlovic won 76(6) 76(3) and it was very similar to the match against Fed yesterday. Kohlschreiber actually played quite well when he was serving but also had problems with the Karlovic serve. Again the fatal statistics of small numbers effect in Karlovic tie-breaks was demonstrated. Karlovic's game has improved a lot in the last year or so. It's not just serve and he did some nice things at the net. I'm beginning to wonder if he might win the whole show here. I'm pessimistic about the semi against Murray from what I saw today and even Rafa/Nole might be taken by surprise.

The we watched Djokovic-Gulbis. Djokovic was much more alive than he was two days ago when I saw him. It was what hercules calls (I think) a slugfest with good serving on both sides. But Djokovic had marginally better control of the putaway points and the outcome looked pretty predictable. Gulbis, though, is a guy to be watched. He's improved enormously. After a set of this FreeBird left to go back home and I went back to my regular seat only to find that most of the Djokovic family had moved into a neighboring box, complete with serbian flag, NOLE letter boards and NOLE T-shirts. Alex would have loved it. Final score 63 64 .

There was about an hour's break before Nadal-Lapentti which started at 7pm. This was an unusual match which seemed almost to be in slow motion after all the slugging of Djokovic-Gulbis. Lapentti again played a very nice game with many nicely constructed points, clean drop volleys, and well aimed ground shots. It was a lot more competitive than the score 76(3) 61 suggests. Rafa really only came to fist-pumping life in the last couple of games. Perhaps he was trying to save energy. In any case, he will have to up the voltage when he meets Djokovic tomorrow if he is to get to the final.  Should be a good one.

I'm so glad you have had a great time at the tournament!  I wish we could have someone from the site at every tournament so we can get first hand reports!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #728 on: August 01, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

Hi,

Thank you.

Serbian Slayer is like a shark on fast hard courts. his backhand is basically unattackable and his return of serve off that wing may be the best on the planet.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #729 on: August 01, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

Hi,

Thank you.

Serbian Slayer is like a shark on fast hard courts. his backhand is basically unattackable and his return of serve off that wing may be the best on the planet.

Agreed on both counts.  If Djokovic can get his best game back he still may be the one to beat on hard courts.
He will certainly give Nadal a run if he regains that form.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #730 on: August 01, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »
I didn't have time to post earlier (I just got done doing my hair :innocent: ) but HELLS YEAH!!!! RAFITO!!!!! :trampoline: :grind dance: :thumbs-up: :not worthy: I won't officially celebrate until I look on atptennis.com and see Rafa's name next to #1. Rafa is hungry and only Djoke served on a platter can satisfy his hunger. :)>>>>

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #731 on: August 01, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

Thanks man, nice report  :thumbs-up:

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #732 on: August 02, 2008, 01:41:43 AM »
So uh... is Federer having wild parties the night before his matches or something? what the cheese?
Karlovic? of all people... Karlovic?
I konw I'm kind of late, but damn Fed-ex! pick it up!
:throws Swiss flag to floor:
Be the change that you seek.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #733 on: August 02, 2008, 01:48:30 AM »
no way he'll skip the Olympics, he loves Spain too much :)~
GREAT POINT!  :cool:
people saying Rafa should skip Beijing, well those people have no idea who Rafa -the person-is. Rafa loves his country. Rafas loves to play for Spain and Rafa loves to be with other Spaniard athletes and root for them.
people saying he should go to his mansion in Manacor instead of Beijing, well he probably will not be able to come back to Manacor in the next 20 years, Spanish people will never understand and accept that decision. he is the 4th most admired person in this country.
there's no Spanish top athlete in history saying no to the Olympics.
finally, we all know that Rafa is very happy to play in his first Olympics.
Before the season started, back in late December, reporters asked Rafa about his 3 main goals.
Rafa said that the 3 most important tourneys for him this year were: Wimbledon, Beijing 2008 and the Davis Cup. he didnt even mentioned Roland Garros.
fans saying he should skip the Olympics are perhaps the same people who said he should skip the tourney in his club in Barcelona.
impossible.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:05:12 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #734 on: August 02, 2008, 02:11:55 AM »
MASON - August 1, 2008 - Rafael Nadal is guaranteed to claim the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Ranking this month after reaching the semifinals at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters with a 7-6(3), 6-1 victory over Ecuadorian Nicolas Lapentti on Friday night.
as The Logo said: Nobody in the history of the game is a more deserving #1!!!

It is the moment to admit it: you are a better player than my all time idol Santana.
I expect that one day I can say that you are a better person than Santana.  :) I am convinced I will also have to say this more important thing soon.

Congratulations Rafa!  :)
Congartulations to his many fans!  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:41:11 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #735 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:11 AM »
Congrats to Nadal on the number one ranking. And good job Murray on the Moya victory!!! I watched some of it (not all of it, I was at tennis) and from what I saw Murray played some brilliant tennis. I hope to see him in the top 3 in near future.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #736 on: August 02, 2008, 04:44:27 AM »
So uh... is Federer having wild parties the night before his matches or something? what the cheese?
Karlovic? of all people... Karlovic?
I konw I'm kind of late, but damn Fed-ex! pick it up!
:throws Swiss flag to floor:

Hi Wilsonboy,
you need to see Karlovic serve. :scared: The rest of his game is OK too. You would be impressed.  :eek: Even the best players find it hard to avoid a tiebreak and its then that random events like net cord shots  :dunno: determine the outcome of the set.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #737 on: August 02, 2008, 06:17:45 AM »
Euroka1, you rock! :king:

You're tourney updates are awesome. :))
I bet you're havin' a ball in Cinncy, thanks for taking the time to provide us with
news from the frontlines!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #738 on: August 02, 2008, 06:23:50 AM »
Congrats to Rafa for snagging the #1 spot.  I didn't see the end of the match, I would have liked to see his reaction!  I did watch the first set and Lapentti (sp?) played very well.

I think Gilbert said (among other things while he praised Nadal about 500 times, literally, it was kinda weird) that Nadal took the #1 ranking and Fed did not lose it.  I think it was a combo of both personally.  If Fed had only lost to Rafa at the FO and Big W finals and stayed on track elsewhere like he always does then he would still be #1.  Just weird to hear them say certain things.  I usually agree with most of them, but that one threw me.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #739 on: August 02, 2008, 06:36:41 AM »
Big Kudo's to Nadal for snatching that No.1 ranking!