Author Topic: THE Stanislas Wawrinka THREAD (pictures and other stuffs...about Wawri )  (Read 28830 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Just checked,Stani is playing challenger in Lugano.. Won 1st Round:d. Alexandre Sidorenko [FRA] 6-4 6-4
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
  • But...i'm wearing my Nike's
Just checked,Stani is playing challenger in Lugano.. Won 1st Round:d. Alexandre Sidorenko [FRA] 6-4 6-4

I guess that's a good idea to make sure he gets more than just 1 or 2 matches in. Hopefully he'll do well at SW19
:)~

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

I guess that's a good idea to make sure he gets more than just 1 or 2 matches in. Hopefully he'll do well at SW19

yeah I was surprised in a good way..Though I'm not sure he would play this Challenger if it wasn't in his country..
Anyway I'm not glad that he decided not to play some tour on grass before Wimbly...Eastbourne or Hertogenbosch would have been great......

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Monky

• Tennis God

yeah I was surprised in a good way..Though I'm not sure he would play this Challenger if it wasn't in his country..
Anyway I'm not glad that he decided not to play some tour on grass before Wimbly...Eastbourne or Hertogenbosch would have been great......

well, we'll see how it turns out

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Is this challenger on grass?

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

nope, it's clay  :\

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061

What the heck????  What's wrong with Stan???? :confused1:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

What the heck????  What's wrong with Stan???? :confused1:

Crazy Swiss !

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
OH boy what a great week !

Lugano final: Wawrinka def. Starace 7-5 6-3

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Yes, I heard he won.  Still don't know why he was playing on clay. :Confused:

Offline Monky

• Tennis God

Yes, I heard he won.  Still don't know why he was playing on clay. :Confused:

Woo, awesome that he won but still a big question about it being on clay. All good, a wins a win :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Stan is just too nice sometimes.  Maybe he needs to say "I'm here to answer questions about me, not Roger"... Look at his interview and you'll see what I mean!

S Wawrinka - 25 June 2009
Thursday, 25 June 2009

Q. Obviously there's a chance you will play Andy Murray. I know you have already mentioned his name.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Honestly I'm focused on the next match, so no chance I will say something about Sunday.

Q. Can I just ask you how you think he compares to Roger Federer in general terms? They're the two highest ranked players left in the draw.

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, this year he improved a lot. The last 12 months he's playing very well. He made the final in the US Open, he won a lot of tournaments. So of course he's just after Roger the favorite of the tournament.

Q. He seems to have a 6‑2 record over Roger. What do you think Roger seems to find a problem with him?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I don't know. He's playing good when they play together.

Q. Do you think Murray is getting closer to Roger with every year?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Maybe, but he's young, so that's why he improved a lot the last 12 months. We need to see the next year how he's going to play. You know, Roger is here since five, six years. He's already won 14 Grand Slams, so you cannot compare.

Q. Which do you think is the tougher opponent personally when you play against them?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Who?

Q. If you play against Murray or Federer? When you play against them, who do you find more difficult?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Roger.

Q. Why?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Because he's playing different. He's playing better maybe.

Q. What do you think Murray has to add to his game to get to that level?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I don't know.

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
 :rofl_2: he seemed so confused in that interview, the interviewer asking too many dumb questions. Now he gets America's smallest story in Jesse Levine.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
:rofl_2: he seemed so confused in that interview, the interviewer asking too many dumb questions. Now he gets America's smallest story in Jesse Levine.

Well you know only recently did Stan learn how to speak and be comfortable without an interpreter in English.  I remember when Switzerland played  England in Davis Cup Roger had to interpret the questions to Stan from the reports in English to French so Stan would understand what they were saying.  Now Stan feells comfortable enough to speak English by himself but you know it can't be easy, especially when the reporters ask dumb questions. ..-)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Wawrinka ready to emerge from Roger's shadow

It was probably the most bizarre celebration in the history of tennis. After his victories in the semi-finals and final of the Olympic doubles tournament in Beijing last summer, Stanislas Wawrinka would lie on the court while his partner, Roger Federer, knelt down and held out his hands as if warming them over a camp fire.

The explanation? Federer said that Stanislas Wawrinka was on such a hot streak that he was on fire. As a partnership they were certainly too hot for the opposition and their gold-winning performance earned them the accolade back home as Switzerland's team of the year. It was one of the few occasions in Wawrinka's life that he was able to share the limelight with Federer.

The Swiss No 2 is an accomplished player in his own right, ranked No 18 in the world, but usually the only place where he can upstage the five-times Wimbledon champion is on the table tennis table. Wawrinka beat his Davis Cup colleague at the Monte Carlo Masters for the first time two months ago, but Federer was on a working honeymoon at the time, having wed his long-time girlfriend, Mirka Vavrinec, five days earlier.

Wawrinka, 24, is one of Federer's best friends in tennis. They are Switzerland's first-choice players in both singles and doubles in the Davis Cup, which is where Wawrinka has his best opportunity of getting one over the former world No 1.

"I play Roger at ping pong in Davis Cup ties," Wawrinka said. "I have beaten him at ping pong, but it's not easy." He agreed that he was quite different in personality to Federer, particularly on the court. "He just plays in a more relaxed way and always makes it looks easy," Wawrinka said. "We're quite similar away from the courts, but on the court we're not the same for sure. He's the best player ever and he's playing so well."

Did he think he would be doing his fellow countryman a favour if he could beat Murray today? "That's not what I'm thinking when I go on court," Wawrinka said. "For sure if I won on Monday Roger would be happy, but that's not what I'm thinking."

Wawrinka's surname is evidence of his Polish ancestry, but his father is German, his mother is Swiss and he has Czech grandparents. He left school at 15 to concentrate on tennis full-time, won the French Open junior title in 2003 and broke into the world's top 100 four years ago, reaching a career-high No 9 in the world rankings after reaching the final of last year's clay-court Rome Masters.

He is at his best on clay his only tournament victory on the main tour came on clay at Umag, Croatia, three years ago and in the week of the pre-Wimbledon grass-court events at Queen's Club and Halle chose to play in a clay-court Challenger tournament in Switzerland, which he won.

Two years older than Murray, Wawrinka did not cross paths with the Scot until Britain played Switzerland in the Davis Cup in Geneva four years ago. Wawrinka won in straight sets in Murray's debut singles rubber in the competition.

They have since become good friends. "We have been friends now for four or five years, since we came on the tour together," Wawrinka said. "We are almost the same age and we practise a lot to together. We enjoy being together and talking in the locker room."

Has Wawrinka seen a change in Murray since his climb to No 3 in the world rankings? "Of course he has changed, but not with me," Wawrinka said. "He's the same. In his game, yes, for sure. He is playing much better."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:44:31 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Stan at Wimbledon,UK:
1st Round:def E Schwank 7-5 6-4 6-1
2nd Round:def M V Arguello 6-3 6-2 6-2
3rd Round:def. Levine 5-7 7-5 6-3 6-3

4th Round:lost to Murray 6-2 3-6 3-6 7-5 3-6

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
vs Murray

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
vs Murray

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Wawri's INTERVIEW after lost to Murray  :\

Q. Can you put into words just how you feel right now.

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I'm very, very sad, of course. Was a tough match, and to lose today is very, very bad for me.

Q. How much effort did you put into that today?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I try everything, but it was not enough. Almost, but not enough.

Of course, I try everything I can today to win the match.

Q. Do you think in years to come you'll regard it as a very special memory because of the atmosphere under the roof, playing Andy?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, for sure it was very, very special. It was a very nice atmosphere with the Centre Court and all the crowd for Andy Murray.

But I enjoy a lot the match. But for sure I'm very sad after the match.

Q. Did you think you were going to be the stronger player in the fifth set?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, but the second game he break me. I was 40‑Love, and he break me, and I think then it was more easy for him to play well and to stay on the game.

For sure I was playing very good. I was in the match, and I was hoping to do better in the fifth set.

Q. How were the conditions out there? Could you notice any difference between Wimbledon in daylight and Wimbledon at nighttime under the roof?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Was very, very nice to play with the roof closed. I enjoy a lot to play tonight.

Q. What about the grass itself? Was there any difference in the way it played?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, I think it was almost the same.

Q. Why is your nose so red?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: With the towel, new towel. Irritating.

Q. You were getting treatment from the physio early on. What was that for?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Well, something I have already in the first two match, but nothing special.

Q. It didn't affect the way you played?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Not really, no.

Q. Have you ever played in an atmosphere like that before?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, maybe in Davis Cup it's always nice match. This year in January we play ‑ in March we play in United States in Davis Cup. It was very nice.

Q. Does Andy Murray have what it takes to win Wimbledon, do you think?

STANISLAS WAWRINKA: For sure he's playing very good, especially on grass. He improve a lot the last 12 month.

But, yeah, today I was close, but he won the match. I think for the rest of the tournament he's ready, but you don't need to forgot the other player.

You know, Roger is still there, and I think it can be a very nice final.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
A great performance from Stan, a shame he didn't win, and a shame the way it had to happen, but I still have faith in Wawrinka and hope he comes through in the future :cheer:

Sweet how he throws Roger's name in their face :)~