Author Topic: Euroka's Tennis Journal  (Read 63084 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2009, 11:04:11 AM »
We had a good men's doubles outdoors on a brisk spring morning today. Perhaps the most notable thing that we played on a neighborhood court that was new to me. I mentioned to Pacer some time ago that one of the nice features of the DC area is that there are so many neighborhood courts tucked away in the landscape that one mostly learns about from friends.  As time goes on, one gets to know quite a few so that if one lot is occupied there is another within 10 minutes drive.

Come to think of it, that is what happened at the tennis4you event last year so it must be much the same for Columbus.  The bottom line is that it is good to cultivate a large circle of tennis friends because that means more courts and more tennis. I look like playing every day this week except Friday in 5 different locations!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »
We had a good men's doubles outdoors on a brisk spring morning today. Perhaps the most notable thing that we played on a neighborhood court that was new to me. I mentioned to Pacer some time ago that one of the nice features of the DC area is that there are so many neighborhood courts tucked away in the landscape that one mostly learns about from friends.  As time goes on, one gets to know quite a few so that if one lot is occupied there is another within 10 minutes drive.

Come to think of it, that is what happened at the tennis4you event last year so it must be much the same for Columbus.  The bottom line is that it is good to cultivate a large circle of tennis friends because that means more courts and more tennis. I look like playing every day this week except Friday in 5 different locations!
You are livin' the Dream! :))
How was the wind today?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »
You are livin' the Dream! :))
How was the wind today?

A bit gusty here but I've played through a lot worse and saw a lot worse in the IW final yesterday. No papers on the court at inopportune moments.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
Euroka my friend, I smell nice weather coming around the corner.... :)
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Good stuff E!  You are all over the place on some tennis!   :cool:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
I've probably been overdoing it  :Confused: . The tennis matches Saturday-Tuesday were pretty light but the Wednesday hit with the instructor was intense and combined with an all-day meeting which I had to drive to and from through heavy rain-soaked traffic, Thursday night tennis was too much. Starting off 7-5, 6-1 was not all bad but in the third set I was feeling exhausted, visually uncoordinated   :;:-|, even slightly dizzy and completely let  down my partner. Score was 0-4 in effectively love games when saved by the bell  :Blush: .

Had to haul myself up at 6am :::O  to go to the meeting, second day, and still felt lousy. Forced myself to do Kickserve's Pick 'em which probably accounts for my deplorable choices there  ::))) .  Scheduled to play tomorrow but some rain in the forecast and maybe a couple of days off would be good.  But somehow, one keeps coming back for more.  :uhm:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:50:34 PM by euroka1 »

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »
Oh yeah, you got the sickness!   ;-()

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #347 on: April 01, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »
In retrospect, I really overdid it last week and should not get into that sort of situation too often, although eventually it might be a good way to exit if handled right. Nasty administrative problem to leave behind, however.  :rip:  :innocent:

I'm now having a soft tennis week  :) . An indoor game yesterday on dirt and hit with the instructor today. Did quite well on both occasions. My alternative serve is coming on well. We look like having spring weather at the weekend and there should be a couple of good games in that.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2009, 06:46:02 AM »
You got 'the sickness' all right!
A little of this with your coffee in the morn should help get you going for the tennis 'sickness'. :)>>>>
[youtube]
[/youtube]
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #349 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »
You got 'the sickness' all right!

Thanks MT  :sick: :Alien:

Think I might go back to bed again after that  :)) . You should send a copy to my good friend Nole Djokovic too!

The "soft" tennis week is working well but it needs to be good weather on Saturday and Sunday or deprivation withdrawal symptoms will set in  :bang-head: .

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
What is this alternative serve you speak of? 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #351 on: April 02, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »

Nothing fancy but this late in life I'm finally learning to put spin on a serve. My normal serve is flat and can be fairly well directed but I felt I needed an alternative one to confuse the opposition. It takes a while to get all the motions, arm and body right but I'm getting there. It helps a lot to have one-on-one instruction for this.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #352 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »

Nothing fancy but this late in life I'm finally learning to put spin on a serve. My normal serve is flat and can be fairly well directed but I felt I needed an alternative one to confuse the opposition. It takes a while to get all the motions, arm and body right but I'm getting there. It helps a lot to have one-on-one instruction for this.

Ah, very nice!   :cool:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »
Good game of mixed dubs on a beautiful spring day but without much success with 1-6,3-6,5-7. But we were getting better all the time and, at any rate it, it was far more fun than engaging in vitriolic repartee at tennis4you/tennis discussions/tennis discussions  :zipped: .

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #354 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
Tennis in April. Wind, april showers, blossom blowing across the court (or is it snow?)  :confused1: .

Hit with the instructor this morning. He seemed to think, anyway it was nice of him to say, that I was hitting better than I thought I was doing. Worked more on the serve. We were talking about pros retiring. He thought that some, like Agassi wanted to stop when they were not getting better; others like Connors kept playing because they loved the game. Others, Fed and Roddick were mentioned, might only continue as long as they were prepared to put in the immense training effort for staying at the top at the expense of other interests, such as family, in life.  We agreed that the next year or so ought to be interesting on that front.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #355 on: April 08, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
I think it must have been snow!  It was here!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #356 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
Good Thursday night doubles 6-4, 6-3. My serve and most of my other shots were on. Only dropped serve once.
Came through the night much better than two weeks ago  :PHEW:) .
Lesson learned from that night  :nono: is not to turn up for Thursday night tennis after already having had a physically and mentally stressful day.
Not much lined up for the weekend. April showers in forecast  :rain: and people are tied up with family events.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #357 on: April 10, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
The key is to not have stressful days before playing tennis................let me know when you figure that one out!   ;-()

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
 :thumbs-up:
OSU has the priority right: get rid of the stressful day and but not the tennis!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #359 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
I disagree with both of you!
Tennis is the ideal release after a stressful day. :gleam:
Too bad I'm relegated to table tennis for awhile! :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!