Instructional Tennis > Tennis Journals

Euroka's Tennis Journal

<< < (120/123) > >>

euroka1:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on April 08, 2013, 03:15:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: monstertruck on April 08, 2013, 06:06:33 AM ---Great news, your return to court, with improved vision!!!
I think it will be interesting to see if the surgery has any impact on your ball striking abilities.
Do you find the eye protection a hinderance during play?
Personally, I sweat so much that any form of glasses would be drenched in short order.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's nice. If anything, the eye-ball coordination is going through an adjustment but the serve is fine.

No, in my doubles game there is no hindrance and, as you pointed out, it is good for safety. The sweat issue is one that will be tested as summer comes in. We are expecting 80 deg temperatures later in the week.  :)

--- End quote ---

Hi all,

One my tennis partners had cataract surgery a week or so after me and she was not allowed to go on the tennis court for three weeks!   My guy said it was OK the next day! Such is the diversity of medical advice.

Two months after and I am now off the expensive drops (about $250, not covered) that ward off infection. On the whole the cataract operation was a success. One eye is 20/20 but the other eye is less so. When I told the surgeon that, he replied that it was bad in the first place but I suspect he could have done a better job on it. Still it is way better than before and I have prescription glasses to correct partially some residual astigmatism in it but I can get by without them.

Two interesting things that I was not expecting: one, I have to have sunglasses whenever I am in bright sunlight far more than before. I can now understand why all these other aged people in the neighborhood are wearing sunglasses routinely. second, both new eyes are set for focus at infinity and there is very little accommodation built in. This means that one is always looking around for reading glasses, which  (like sunglasses) can be bought cheaply at the drug store.

But tennis is a lot easier and at least, as mentioned above, one can see the lines, and really, the fact that they can do this sort of thing today is pretty wonderful.

Not much warm sweaty weather yet but it is coming, I think, within days.

euroka1:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on May 15, 2013, 07:40:44 PM ---One my tennis partners had cataract surgery a week or so after me and she was not allowed to go on the tennis court for three weeks!   My guy said it was OK the next day! Such is the diversity of medical advice.
--- End quote ---

I have a new instructor for my Wednesday morning hit. We went through several shots, including drop shots. There's lots of diversity in the advice from tennis instructors too. It both cases one likes to go for what works but the doctors certainly give you a harder time if you don't follow theirs!

monstertruck:
Good stuff E-Man.
Glad you're enjoying your new peeps :yikes:.

Take good care of them and don't hesitate to wear the wrap around shades.  I've used them since I was 40 as I spend a ton of time outside for work and on the water.  There's a reason that the 'seasoned veterans of life' wear them-  they work.  Now, if the manufacturers could make them just a tad more fashionable they might catch on with the general public.

Did your other instructor move on or are you trying someone new?

euroka1:

--- Quote from: monstertruck on May 17, 2013, 07:50:55 PM ---Did your other instructor move on or are you trying someone new?

--- End quote ---

The previous instructor, like the one before, moved on to a better job and one closer to home.  My basic need is really to have someone to hit with but it is also useful to be able pose dumb questions.

monstertruck:
Sounds like a casual contract.
Sort of like 'friends with benefits'. ;-()

Good hitting partners can be very difficult to find.
One that's willing to help bring along you're game is a bonus.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the going rate in the D.C. area?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version