Author Topic: Euroka's Tennis Journal  (Read 61834 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2008, 03:52:16 AM »
Good mixed doubles here today. We lost 5-7, 4-6 but it was congenial company, perfect fall weather, the county had apparently swept up the leaves from the court a day or so before, and I felt I was playing well on all fronts. Couldn't ask for much more.   :)

Extra bonus:  One more hour of sleep tonight.   :sleeping:
Different strokes for different folks!:rofl_2: 
I think of it as an extra hour of playtime in the morning!!!
Up at 4 a.m., a little T4U, string up a ratchet, and then off to the courts for 1.5 hr of singles and a couple hours of dubs!!!
Woooohooo! :coffee: :toot: :coffee: :Play Ball: :coffee: :yay:

Of course you realize I'll be crashing about 3pm this afternoon.... :::O :sleeping: ;;)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2008, 06:34:03 AM »
Hamstring injury?  What is an injury?  I never get hurt, I am bullet proof!  :(
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »
Another nice day of mixed dubs but the opposition too strong again. 2-6, 6-4, 2-4. However, a good time was had by all.
There was a new face on the other side and she was just too smart for us. I never quite worked out an effective return of serve strategy.
Playing again tomorrow, another group, all men. I hope the weather holds.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:31:07 PM by euroka1 »

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2008, 03:25:30 AM »
Another nice day of mixed dubs but the opposition too strong again. 2-6, 6-4, 2-4. However, a good time was had by all.
There was a new face on the other side and she was just too smart for us. I never quite worked out an effective return of serve strategy.
Solving the riddle against new players always takes me awhile, especially in dubs.
You only get a few chances to try different tactics and the next thing ya know the match is over.
I really try to tune in during the warmup and do an assessment at that time.  The first thing I look at when playing dubs and singles
is which way does this person like to move?  Side to side or front to back. 

Was it her serve that gave you trouble or the following shot?
Have fun outside today, looks like another beauty in the northeast.  I'm hoping to hit the river one last time this afternoon and scoop up some jumbo perch! :fishie:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »
Solving the riddle against new players always takes me awhile, especially in dubs.
You only get a few chances to try different tactics and the next thing ya know the match is over.
I really try to tune in during the warmup and do an assessment at that time.  The first thing I look at when playing dubs and singles

Have fun outside today, looks like another beauty in the northeast.  I'm hoping to hit the river one last time this afternoon and scoop up some jumbo perch! :fishie:

It was. But I got better as the match went on.
It can be the other way, too. Once about 20 years ago, a guy said to me about my serve "By the time I stop laughing  :hysterical: , I can work out how to handle it!"  A compliment of sorts, I guess  :confused1: .

Still 50 degrees here so am heading out in an hour or so for an early game. Nice that it is now brighter.  :)

Good fishing, K ! :fishie:               :whip:

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2008, 05:40:46 AM »

It was. But I got better as the match went on.
It can be the other way, too. Once about 20 years ago, a guy said to me about my serve "By the time I stop laughing  :hysterical: , I can work out how to handle it!"  A compliment of sorts, I guess  :confused1: .

Still 50 degrees here so am heading out in an hour or so for an early game. Nice that it is now brighter.  :)

Good fishing, K ! :fishie:               :whip:
:rofl_2:  Makes me think of 2 fellows at the local club who have some hilarious service motions.  One even wears a hairpiece which looks ridiculous.  What a combo! :rofl_2:

Somehow, I think there's no way your motion could be as exaggerated as these fellers!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Good tennis today, still outdoors, probably about 50 degrees, 6-2, 6-4. Most agreeable  :)) .

How long will it last  :scared: .

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
Good tennis today, still outdoors, probably about 50 degrees, 6-2, 6-4. Most agreeable  :)) .

How long will it last  :scared: .

Hopefully a month, but probably more like a week.  We have had some nice weather here in Jersey as well.  If we can extend the outdoor season to December, then we will be back out in April or May, so it's only about 4 months of unplayable conditions, which is not too bad, really.   :)
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
Don't you guys play in indoor leagues that make you play and pay starting too early in the season and running late into Spring and beyond?   That is what we have to deal with round here.   :(

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
Don't you guys play in indoor leagues that make you play and pay starting too early in the season and running late into Spring and beyond?   That is what we have to deal with round here.   :(

That's Thursday night and it's been going for several weeks now. Shall be missing it this week as I have to go off to Chicago for a meeting.
Getting indoor court time here is complicated and devious  ::::)))) , as befits the DC area. It's also not cheap. The county has to get money from somewhere  :)>>>> and tennis addicts are considered fair game. Shall tell you about it sometime over drinks.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »
Sounds good!   We have been going indoor for 2 months now.   ..-)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »
Good tennis today, still outdoors, probably about 50 degrees, 6-2, 6-4. Most agreeable  :))

Tennis was good again today; 6-1, 6-2. Have learned the art of annoying opponents with top-spin ground strokes that land near the baseline. It will be good while it lasts.

But the best part of the day was having drinks with Dallas, who is in town for a meeting. I was telling her how good tennis is in Ohio in July and August and how she should at least try to come to Cincy and see Fed live  :lmao: .  My drink was a double  :drinks: : one for Scott.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks for hitting a drink for me yo!  Hopefully it was a Coke or Pepsi  :)

Also glad you got to meet Dallas, you beat me to that one!
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
Thanks for hitting a drink for me yo!  Hopefully it was a Coke or Pepsi  :)

Also glad you got to meet Dallas, you beat me to that one!

Sorry Scott, It was Jameson's  :scared: .  Best you not stand up for a while.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »
I cannot stand up anyways!!!
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2008, 09:09:28 PM »
Sweet!  Lets hear more about meeting Super-D.  Did you just have drinks and talk briefly or what? 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »
Unfortunately not much time; only about an hour.  She arrived this afternoon, had a dinner commitment tonight and I have to go to a meeting in Chicago tomorrow.  Next time I hope it can be longer.
We covered tennis4you and all who live therein   :zipped:  :rofl_2: pretty well. I learned that she did NOT keep a tape of Federer-Karlovic at Cincinnati 2008 so I urged that she should come in 2009 when hopefully he would be more successful.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

Yes....me too. 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »
It has been quite a while since I went 8 days without lifting a tennis racquet and I was starting to experience withdrawal symptoms :bang-head: .

Today I had my usual hour with the tennis instructor and all went basically well except I was out of shape and out of breath most of the time; a consequence, I suppose, of intervening events such as drinking with Dallas, wining and dining at the Chicago conference, and general inactivity.

Some of the old bad habits were creeping back and were sternly corrected but, on the whole, I was pleased that so little had been lost. The instructor was pushing the envelope a bit by sending me overheads during the volley workout  :mad1: . But the distress was compensated by an improvement in my volley placement  :).

It's getting harder to have tennis outdoors now and I can see having to do with less anyway so I might as well get used to it.  Should start doing this stuff  :lifting) like herc and monstertruck.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
Someone once told me it takes about 2 weeks of no tennis to lose you "mojo."  I'm not sure if that is true, but I seem to lose mine after about 5 days.  I need to play all the time.