Author Topic: Euroka's Tennis Journal  (Read 65612 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »
I'm envious of all that indoor court time!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2008, 06:02:29 AM »

Yeah, but you can get in on holidays??
Yeah, it's a 'key club'.  Open 24/7/365!!!

3 indooor hard courts.  Small locker room.  Small 2nd floor lounge/viewing area.
Owned and run by the members.
One feature I especially enjoy is coming right off the court to the lower foyer where the cooler of frostys is waiting! :king:
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2008, 06:15:26 AM »
I failed to mention some of the cons of the 'key club'.

There is a 2 year waiting list before your accepted as a Lmited Member.
Dues $260.  Open playing time 8pm to 9am.  May guest in twice per month for free.

After several more years (it took me 3) you're eligible for Associate Member.
Dues $560.00.  Open playing time 24/7.  Can play on up to 2 reserved courts per day and unlimited free time.
Not eligible to vote on club policy.

Finally you become eligible for Stockholder (5-10 years).
At this time you shell out the major coin-  somewhere between $4k and $5k at the moment.
Now the dues drop to $360 and you have the same playing time available as the Associate but with
the additional bonus of being able to vote on club policy and serve on the board.
This stock increase with COLA and can be sold if you move or passed on to family if you die.
That's the purpose of having the waiting list which is comprised of the Limited and Associate members.
It's basically a feeder program for the Stockholders to ensure they can recoup their investment.

Pretty neat setup which provides indoor tennis here in the boonies.
Unfortunately, the club itself does little or nothing to promote tennis in the area.
It's just a place for rich people and their families to play tennis. :( :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »

Outdoor tennis cancelled today because of sub 40s temperatures plus wind.  :crying:

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »

Outdoor tennis cancelled today because of sub 40s temperatures plus wind.  :crying:
21 degrees + 20mph winds = 5 degrees wind chill here.

Slide on up to NH for some indoor tenny! ;-()
Actually, I'm working down at the lake today!!! :shocking:
Windchill should be well below zero there. :(

That's good practice for ice-fishing though! :))
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:30:04 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »
My hour in the cold for hitting with the instructor yesterday really paid off in the 2 hours in the warm indoors tonight. We had 6-1, 6-4, 6-1,2-1. I didn't drop serve all night and did very well with groundstrokes too. Volleys could have been better but some were OK. Ran down some nice gets and the hamstring didn't even protest  :).  (N.B. Scott and OSU; time heals all! (until the next thing comes along) ). I  have to admit that the other side was not up to their usual form but that happens sometimes too.
Next week, Thanksgiving:mad1: NO TENNIS!.
To what do you attribute the payoff?
Any special tips or drills from the instructor or just the steady feed?

No tennis on Thanksgiving?   :(
We run a small round robin (6 guys on three courts) on Thurs soooos we can work up a bit of an appetitie! :))

How do you go about finding a club open on THX??   :confused1:  Unless maybe one of your group works there and has a key??
Dude, haven't you read about MY private club?
$560.00 annual dues.  Free court time.
Court usage rarely tops 33% between 9am and 6pm so there's a court available pretty much anytime except for Tues at 6pm and Wed at 430pm.
Now you know why I'm such a court hog in the winter!!! :king:

I wish I had that deal around here!  I spend 2-3K per year just to play 2-3 times per week indoors.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2008, 05:01:37 AM »
My hour in the cold for hitting with the instructor yesterday really paid off in the 2 hours in the warm indoors tonight. We had 6-1, 6-4, 6-1,2-1. I didn't drop serve all night and did very well with groundstrokes too. Volleys could have been better but some were OK. Ran down some nice gets and the hamstring didn't even protest  :).  (N.B. Scott and OSU; time heals all! (until the next thing comes along) ). I  have to admit that the other side was not up to their usual form but that happens sometimes too.

We run a small round robin (6 guys on three courts) on Thurs soooos we can work up a bit of an appetitie! :))

How do you go about finding a club open on THX??   :confused1:  Unless maybe one of your group works there and has a key??
Court usage rarely tops 33% between 9am and 6pm so there's a court available pretty much anytime except for Tues at 6pm and Wed at 430pm.

I wish I had that deal around here!  I spend 2-3K per year just to play 2-3 times per week indoors.
Sounds like court time is in high demand in your area!
Perhaps it's time to look into building your own tennis club!

If you plan on playing tennis the rest of your life, it's probably more cost effective for you and 10 buddies to build your own court!
2.5K / year  x  25+ years  x  10 buddies of equal commitment  =  6.25 mill

Several members of my tennis group had toyed with the idea of building a new facility when we were on the long waiting list to get our local club.
However, we're all at least Asso. members now and it's such a sweet deal that there really is no need for another tennis club.  Our goal now is to achieve a majority on the board and make some policy changes from within.
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2008, 05:02:52 AM »
Hey Euroka,

Thanks for letting us use your journal for this little chat session! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »
Hey Euroka,

Thanks for letting us use your journal for this little chat session! :))

That's fine. As said above, I can envy you for the availability of all that indoor time. Here it is fashionably scarce, as you might expect with all these Washington power people around, and (what you can get) is expensive.

My lot have cancelled again today  :depressed::mad1: 
I'm watching Davis Cup but with the mute on. I like quiet cerebral matches  :shades: .

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »

If you plan on playing tennis the rest of your life, it's probably more cost effective for you and 10 buddies to build your own court!

Several members of my tennis group had toyed with the idea of building a new facility when we were on the long waiting list to get our local club.
However, we're all at least Asso. members now and it's such a sweet deal that there really is no need for another tennis club.  Our goal now is to achieve a majority on the board and make some policy changes from within.

Hey, stop with the Bush math!  You must be trying to give me a heart attack!   :)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »

Hey, stop with the Bush math!  You must be trying to give me a heart attack!   :)
s**t, I thought you'd like the 'collective' aspect of it by getting your buddies to chip in. :rofl_2:

At this rate, not accounting for inflation, (or that your taxes will soon be going through the roof ;-()) you will easily spend upwards of 60k for court time.  You'd certainly be better off investing in a court or club of your own at that rate.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »

s**t, I thought you'd like the 'collective' aspect of it by getting your buddies to chip in. :rofl_2:

At this rate, not accounting for inflation, (or that your taxes will soon be going through the roof ;-()) you will easily spend upwards of 60k for court time.  You'd certainly be better off investing in a court or club of your own at that rate.

Monster, it is $625,000, not 6.2 million!  That's why it is Bush math.....   :)  Anyway, your point is valid and I/we are spending way too much money on this game.  Factor my son's training in>>>>>>way over the top. 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »
Currently I think I spend about $3K playing tennis each year. Tournaments (as spectator!) take up another $2K at present. Worth every penny  :)) . But I'm not into big spending anymore and will avoid any large initiation or entrance fees. The "event horizon" to use a cosmology term, is getting to be too close.

This morning out into the not so cold (30 rising to 40 degrees) for the Monday game. But I was not playing so well and as usual could sense it during the (partial) warmup. It was 6-3, 1-6  :mad1:, 1-2 when we finished. I wasn't hopeless but I gave the other side too many easy ones  :( .  Tomorrow is indoors dirt with my super-seniors group. At least it will be warm there  :).

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Tennis Discussions is a bit in the doldrums it seems and I'm trying to think of something that might shake it a bit  :shakey: but not stir up offense  :Blush: .   Maybe I can cause just a little by saying that, much as I admire him, I'm getting Federer overexposure there.  What we need is some sort of a scandal  :shocking: but that never happens over Thanksgiving.

...meanwhile, the most exciting thing I can think of is that I had a good game yesterday. Won all my serves and was playing an opponent who was at about the same serving level. He eventually dropped one of his serve games so all came right in the end.

Today, I had my morning hit with the instructor. We worked on dealing with high backhand lobs and in trying to get the racquet back to get some depth in the return. When I do this, I find it hard not to move the racquet correspondingly forward and hence put the ball into the net. Never my favorite shot  :( .

No more tennis until Saturday  :mad1:  :bang-head:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2008, 09:54:35 AM »
Agreed on the doldrums. :(
I didn't notice over exposure on the Fed man, but seems to me like there is plenty of confontation to be found and very little 'discussion'.

Do check in on the rules and etiquette thread.  Jamesdster is doing a bang up job of entertaining and educating there.  Nary a squabble to be found in that thread!!! :))

Did the instructor teach/work on the backhand smash?  I've had some success with the reverse pronation necessary to generate pace, however this has come at the expense of control.  I'll see if I can dig up the vid illustration of this shot that helped me a bit...
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
Do check in on the rules and etiquette thread.  Jamesdster is doing a bang up job of entertaining and educating there.  Nary a squabble to be found in that thread!!! :))

Did the instructor teach/work on the backhand smash?  I've had some success with the reverse pronation necessary to generate pace, however this has come at the expense of control.  I'll see if I can dig up the vid illustration of this shot that helped me a bit...

I'll do that. Fine points on such can be most entertaining.

No, I don't see myself even trying that. I get discomfort (but not pain) in the right shoulder even in a defensive shot over there. But if you can find the vid it would be interesting to see.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2008, 10:32:48 AM »

I'll do that. Fine points on such can be most entertaining.

No, I don't see myself even trying that. I get discomfort (but not pain) in the right shoulder even in a defensive shot over there. But if you can find the vid it would be interesting to see.
The vid was done by teaching pro Heath Waters.  I've found a sample link to the start of the lesson but can't find the whole vid that I was able to view before.
The part I liked is that he uses bio-mech reference points for each phase of the shot.  This gives me a visual model of how to hit the shot.

Enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow, no a.m. tennis for me as my back is still sore  from roofing the past 2 weeks!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Jamesdster

• Tennis God
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
Euroka (and everyone)

Have a great turkey day my friend.  It sounds like you may indulge in an extra portion since you have been playing so much.   :thumbs-up:
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.  - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »
People are starting to come out from under after Thanksgiving.

I played mixed doubles this morning, not all that well but it was just nice to be outside  :)) . Sunny, crisp, no wind. A good time was had by all.
Tomorrow looks like being wet and miserable so not much hope there  :depressed:.   What's it like in Ohio today Saturday?  Usually you folk get the bad weather a day ahead of us.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »
45 degrees here today, I would sneak out if I had thought of it.  But wifey and I are trying to man handle the kids, it is a chore in itself!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com