Author Topic: Euroka's Tennis Journal  (Read 62021 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #440 on: September 28, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
Nice job making the most out of a tough situation.
Usually 1 person in our group chooses to bow out and make it an even number.
When that fails, no matter what the arrangement, just hitting the ball is still tons of fun!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #441 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Back on the court tonight after an absence of some weeks. Returned yesterday from a two week visit to Chile where there was much wining and dining with little exercise in between and I was surprised that my game was reasonably good. We lost 3-6, 3-6 but I won most of my serves although there were 3 dfs which is unusual for me. Ground strokes went well although the volleys were rather miserable. Nice to be back to a normal tennis life.  Already have games scheduled for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and shall probably hit with the instructor on Wednesday.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #442 on: October 25, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
Crisp fall weather over here is beautiful for tennis except that it takes a while to sweep up the leaves before play starts!  :cool:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
Very acceptable indoor tennis tonight. 2-6, 6-4, 4-4. It was a close match after a slow start on my part. My partner did a lot of the running. I got nearly all my serves and did well to hang round the net and volley anything that came my way. My ground strokes, were quite good and I did some decent backhands for a change. It should be a good Thursday night season.  :))

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #444 on: November 04, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »
I had a good hour hitting with the instructor today. First after 5 weeks because of weather  :rain: and travel  on my part. Lots of balls and a good workout.  But ground strokes were rusty, some old bad habits required correction   :nono:(e.g. tend to hit the ball too soon on the backhand) but it was good to be back at it. To my surprise, my overheads are becoming really reliable  :lmao:. I never thought that would happen.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #445 on: November 08, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »
We are having great tennis weather here  :)) .  Today was like late summer for mixed doubles outdoors. Because of the bad weather a week or two ago, I signed up for a whole string of games. Basically, I play with 4 groups, two of them indoors as well as my weekly hit outdoors with the instructor on Wednesays. As a result, I've been hitting a ball every day since last Wednesday and have more tennis scheduled every day until next Friday.   :PHEW:)

I am tempted to grumble like Andy Roddick and Novak  about all this high pressure late in the season, but it is only a temptation as it is really what I enjoy doing most. Just hoping the body holds up.

Edit today Monday:

I played this morning. Three sets in two hours, mens doubles. I did fine in the first set but was quite out of steam by the end of the third  :( .    The overheads again were quite good.   :)  Hurricane/tropical storm Ida looks like giving me a day off on Wednesday! :rain:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:53:22 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #446 on: November 13, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »
Yes, it rained Wednesday and today is also a day off.
Good indoor tennis, mixed doubles,  last night 6-4, 4-6, 1-6 .
Looks like a progressive decline but the best long points were in the third set. The problem was that we didn't win any of them.  :Confused:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #447 on: November 20, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »
Good tennis last night, very competitive: 6-4, 4-6. Left me feeling quite stiff today. Not surprising. Only played on Monday up until then and that was a fairly soft game.
There was a threat of having to play twice today but, probably fortunately, it did not eventuate. Social doubles scheduled for both Saturday and Sunday.  :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #448 on: November 21, 2009, 05:34:46 AM »
Nice, sounds like you have the weekend set!  I am only playing once a week right now (Actually get to play twice this week) so I am pretty stiff the next day. I am lifting a ton still, and loving it!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #449 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:58 AM »
Nice, sounds like you have the weekend set!  I am only playing once a week right now (Actually get to play twice this week) so I am pretty stiff the next day. I am lifting a ton still, and loving it!!!

It's a comfort to know that even you young super-fit guys feel the stiffness too sometimes. We have another good day coming up for tennis. It is a bit brisk (39 deg right now) but still agreeable to play outdoors.

BTW,  :zipped:  I'm sticking with IE8. I'd rather deal with the devil I know  :Devil: than with the devil I don't know. I don't have much of a problem because my posts are usually short. It is only irritating if I have to make use of a long quote! 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #450 on: November 23, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
Good game yesterday. My game was really on except for a couple of terrible volleys. Serves were especially good.  :))
Not much more tennis this week  :crying:. Everyone is taking off for Thanksgiving.  :yahoo:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
Played yesterday indoors and out of doors this morning. Slipped on a stray leaf  :scared:. It was a "good" fall and I'm hoping no damage was done but am following the usual remedies this afternoon.

It would have been better to have stayed at home for the Davydenko-Federer match!.  :(

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2009, 07:00:13 PM »
It snowed over the weekend but some shovelling late yesterday and a brisk wind last night meant that we had a clean court to play outdoors today.
Temperature in the high 30s only but it was good to get out even though I was not moving well with all the layers of clothing on.
Tennis can become an addiction.  ..-)

Indoor games tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. That should be more comfortable.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #453 on: December 12, 2009, 05:21:21 AM »
As long as you can feel your fingers it is warm enough to play!  Feed that addiction!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #454 on: December 12, 2009, 06:32:32 AM »
As long as you can feel your fingers it is warm enough to play!  Feed that addiction!

The big saver here is a pair of open-finger mittens that my mother knitted for me decades ago when I was doing a lot of outdoor work.

The three indoor games this week went very well. I was surprised, and so were the opponents, at the consistency and accuracy of the serve and I did some fine volleys and overheads. Ground strokes OK too. I was even moving better, without all those layers.

But there are limits to outdoors  :ninja:. The weekend group called today and tomorrow's game off.  24 degrees outside right now  :blue:.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #455 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »
At this time of the year, reluctant spouses are often dragged off from their tennis games to social events  not of their own making and, as a result, substitute players are much in demand. Thus,  I had four indoor tennis games this last week; two on dirt, two on hardcourt. The weather has been cold  :blue: and wet  :rain: with snow predicted for tonight so outdoor play has been quite out of the question  :hell-no:.

I was very happy with my tennis, particularly with serve and volley, except for one truly horrible game last night when I double faulted three times  :shocking:. That has not happened in several years  :scared:. However, things came together at the end and the serve was back to form.

....and now, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :santa:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:07:32 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #456 on: December 22, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Played indoors today but there was no heat and it was cold  :blue: .
It was a tony all-whites place and I do not have a white sweater. Just had to keep moving!  :shakey:
That was almost certainly the last match of the year. Now a tennis drought until January.  :(

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #457 on: December 27, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »
Still not a game in sight. Outdoor courts still have snow and there are no prospects for indoor games. I hit the local pool today (indoors) and may even get to the YMCA gym this coming week. I'm sure I have some excess pounds to work off.  :(

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
First night of Thursday tennis since before Christmas. Very rusty all round except the serving which was only just aaceptable.
5-7, 6-4, 2-4. Hoping to do better next time but it could have been worse.
It's nice to be hitting a tennis ball again. :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #459 on: January 29, 2010, 03:47:19 AM »
New guy subbing at Thursday night doubles tennis. Killer forehand  :)>>>> and very fast on feet. As always takes a while to get accustomed.
But like Dmast at tennis4you event a couple of years ago, he was, in turn, somewhat flummoxed by my quirky serve. Also I did OK going to his backhand on serve and this strung things out.  :dunno:
Score 4-6, 2-6 when he was on the other side and 6-1 when I came around to his.
Still a very sociable night was had by all  :)). Nice to be playing inside with all this bad weather going on.