Author Topic: Euroka's Tennis Journal  (Read 67839 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #480 on: November 06, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
We played dubs today in 41 degree weather, but you got us beat.  I took heating pads in an insulated type box to help keep my hands warm on change overs.  Actually helped a lot.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #481 on: November 14, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
As mentioned above, lovely weather here today; sunny and in the 60s. But the leaves are still blowing about the court and, accumulating as they do in heaps, keep hiding tennis balls  :confused1: . But it was so good to be outside. :))

Good place to mention here that I am very happy these days with my backhands and volleys. It is thanks to the weekly hit with the instructor at the Y when it is possible to concentrate on practicing those things that need it most. He has managed to get my backhand working quite smoothly. There's a certain rite of passage in tennis life when one suddenly is no longer scared at hitting a backhand and the question of running round it rarely comes up any more. My serve continues good but it has been OK now for quite some time.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #482 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
As mentioned above, lovely weather here today; sunny and in the 60s. But the leaves are still blowing about the court and, accumulating as they do in heaps, keep hiding tennis balls  :confused1: . But it was so good to be outside. :))

Good place to mention here that I am very happy these days with my backhands and volleys. It is thanks to the weekly hit with the instructor at the Y when it is possible to concentrate on practicing those things that need it most. He has managed to get my backhand working quite smoothly. There's a certain rite of passage in tennis life when one suddenly is no longer scared at hitting a backhand and the question of running round it rarely comes up any more. My serve continues good but it has been OK now for quite some time.

A postscript to the above. While we were playing last Sunday a family (2 adults and 2 small kids) turned up for a hit on the adjacent court. But when the kids saw the large piles of leaves that had been swept up, they lost interest in the tennis and, with loads of delight, jumped and rolled in the leaves  :trampoline: :trampoline: . I've never looked at tennis court leaves in quite that way.
With resignation, the parents carried on hitting alone.  :( :(

Great indoor tennis last night. I was playing unusually well (see above) apart from just a couple of terrible volleys (at least I tried) and the serve was way better than good  :)>>>> .  Managed a couple of love games on it  :hammer:.

Shall be hitting with the instructor this afternoon on an outdoor court. Weather cool but still beautiful.  :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #483 on: November 19, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »
SUPER E tearing up the courts!!!
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #484 on: November 20, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »
It's nice to hear you still receive regular instruction!
Most players I know would rather buy new gear in hopes of improving their game. :(

I liked the 'tennis court leaf' story. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »
Post-Thanksgiving tennis outdoors to help work off the turkey; social mixed doubles  :friends:.

Temperature low 40s  :blue:, wind 20-25 mph, leaves still blowing everwhere. Low sun, unobstructed by leafy trees in the south.  :shades:

It wasn't the best tennis  :(. We were all rugged up with multiple layers  :ninja:, which certainly upset my timing, not to mention the wind and not being able to see the ball at times :-o. The game progressed regularly to 8-8 with the server facing the sun always losing, and the server with back to the sun always winning when finally we scored a break and won the set at 10-8.  :)

It was good to be out, however,  :)) and way better than last year when, as I recall, snow was the problem.

Now looking forward to the afternoon semi from London (sensibly indoors).

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #486 on: December 03, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »

to Will
Along the lines of the above, one's game can also be lifted when playing with somebody who is better than you are. I had this experience last Monday and, not only could I hardly do a thing wrong, but some of my winning volleys and overheads really surprised me. I left the running to my partner, who invariably obliged.

We had a good match last night indoors, but the reverse from Monday happened in that in was my partner who was down in form and it dragged me down a bit. Although I was playing well, I was certainly not as good as last Monday. But it was a fun match.

Today, outdoors  :blue:, I had the weekly hit with the instructor. One thing new we tried, with some success, was to refine my topspin lob. I learned last night that it is a nice thing to do when the other side make unwelcoming approaches at the net  :mad1: .

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #487 on: December 03, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »

to Will
Along the lines of the above, one's game can also be lifted when playing with somebody who is better than you are. I had this experience last Monday and, not only could I hardly do a thing wrong, but some of my winning volleys and overheads really surprised me. I left the running to my partner, who invariably obliged.

We had a good match last night indoors, but the reverse from Monday happened in that in was my partner who was down in form and it dragged me down a bit. Although I was playing well, I was certainly not as good as last Monday. But it was a fun match.

Today, outdoors  :blue:, I had the weekly hit with the instructor. One thing new we tried, with some success, was to refine my topspin lob. I learned last night that it is a nice thing to do when the other side make unwelcoming approaches at the net  :mad1: .

Thats one of the reasons why i prefer to play singles than doubles. You never know how your partners game is going to be at the time of the match ( or at least thats been the case with me). I dislike being dragged down by someone elses performance! Glad it was a fun match for you nonetheless.

Ah, the topspin lob! :wub: it is such an essential shot to have in ones arsenal! I remember using the shot on tuesday during my doubles game, went over of the other players and landed on the baseline. :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #488 on: December 10, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
A dusting of snow today but not enough to stop a last regular hit with the instructor for the year. Same as last week. But the hour long exercise has proved to be very good for my basic strokes and it is always a good workout. There was some talk about going indoors but that would have to be 15 or so miles away and is hardly worth the drive for just the hour.

Looks like outdoor tennis in general is coming to an end here until spring with bad weather forecast for Sunday and Monday and too cold for tomorrow. It is good to still have Thursday night indoors and that is always a good game.

...anyway, in 5 weeks time I shall be cooking  :PHEW:) in the stands at Melbourne Park. Nice to have that to look forward to.  :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #489 on: December 11, 2010, 07:13:22 AM »
Out in a little bit of snow eh?  You are as crazy as I am!
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #490 on: December 31, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Wifey and I will ring in the new year from 9:00 PM to 12:30 AM on the courts.  This will be the first year I have been on the courts when the year changed.  No one better to spend it with than wifey!

Can't see Scott going astray this New Year's Eve.  :hell-no:

I'm having a quiet one. Just back from an eggnog-fest at the downtown club. All are envious at me going to a warmer climate in January.

I played indoors today for the first time in two weeks. I've had a recurrence of the old hamstring problem of a couple of years back. Fortunately, it hasn't meant more than one or two lost games because of the other distractions of the holiday season. I played the first hour today with a reinforcing bandage on the upper leg but took it off during the last hour and was pleased that there was no consequent problem. Serves and volleys were up to normal but I was not covering the court as well as I usually do. Not really surprised at that considering.

Onward and upward for 2011.  :grind dance: :trampoline:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:34:19 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #491 on: December 31, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
Hopefully that hamstring issue will not bother you for long!

Happy New Year E!
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #492 on: January 01, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
Wifey and I will ring in the new year from 9:00 PM to 12:30 AM on the courts.  This will be the first year I have been on the courts when the year changed.  No one better to spend it with than wifey!

Can't see Scott going astray this New Year's Eve.  :hell-no:

I'm having a quiet one. Just back from an eggnog-fest at the downtown club. All are envious at me going to a warmer climate in January.

I played indoors today for the first time in two weeks. I've had a recurrence of the old hamstring problem of a couple of years back. Fortunately, it hasn't meant more than one or two lost games because of the other distractions of the holiday season. I played the first hour today with a reinforcing bandage on the upper leg but took it off during the last hour and was pleased that there was no consequent problem. Serves and volleys were up to normal but I was not covering the court as well as I usually do. Not really surprised at that considering.

Onward and upward for 2011.  :grind dance: :trampoline:
I'm envious of the Eggnog Festival!!! :drool:

....and of course the tennis! :)

CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #493 on: January 07, 2011, 06:46:54 AM »
We finally got a four together for Thursday tennis last night. It was a very uneven and messy game but still it was good to be out  just hitting the ball.  I felt bad because my bad leg did not want to move about the court but fortunately my partner backed me up splendidly and I was able to do fairly well on the basics. The other side was more consistent but the score for two sets ended up 4-6,6-4; a pretty even outcome. One more match indoors today and then I am off for a month which should give the hamstring muscle good time to heal without provocation.

I had a chance to play on some courts in Melbourne but decided not and am glad now. Besides, at these big events, one is out in the noon day sun quite enough just watching the tennis.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
Off for a month?  Is that due to travel?
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #495 on: January 08, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »
Yes, I think he's taking a boat to Australia for the Open!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #496 on: January 08, 2011, 06:10:52 AM »
Yes, I think he's taking a boat to Australia for the Open!

G'day mates!  :upside down: (brushing up on the idiom),

Too right  :shades: , that's more or less it, but it's also the weather here   :blue: that has removed any thought of outdoor tennis here until February.

Apart from that, no worries.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #497 on: January 08, 2011, 07:54:27 AM »
Well, sucks you will not be playing for a month but excited for you that you get to watch some serious tennis! 
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #498 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
Back to non-serious tennis with the Thursday night group. Serving arm felt very weak at the beginning but serve came good again as the night went on. Movement on court rather clumsy and reaction time slow (blame it on jet-lag) but pleased to find no pain at all from the hamstring muscle that was bothering me in early January. Sometimes it seems it is good to take a month off from tennis and just let the body heal.  All in all I'm pleased the way the night went although my game was below its best.

Playing again tomorrow morning; needless to say indoors  :blue:.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #499 on: February 04, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »
Welcome back to tennis!!!
Scott Baker