Author Topic: Euroka's Tennis Journal  (Read 67010 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #580 on: November 24, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »
Big freeze hit here last night, and darn it got cold quick!  Beautiful Thursday and then ice cold and windy as all get out last night!

We had it today :blue: and, as it was 40 degrees and above freezing, played outdoors regardless. But the wind was more or less in control of the whole show. It was good to get out and try, though, after all the good eating earlier in the week.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #581 on: December 19, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »
Although there is no snow yet and it is not yet really cold, it has become very difficult to get an outdoor game together here recently because of rain  :rain: , dense fog  :depressed: , and the seasonal illnesses  :sick: . Thanks goodness for indoor courts where we can still schedule a couple of matches a week among those available.  Playing indoors means that you only have to get there!

I sent my deposit in to the Cincy tournament. After 5 annual trips, I have made a projected resolution to actually go into Cincinnati for the first time. It is always so easy to just park at Mason for the week.

:santa: Happy Holidays to everyone with best wishes for much tennis in 2013. :santa:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:44:53 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #582 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
Happy New Tennis Year people!

Still a bit of a tennis drought around here with holidays, bad weather, and partners sick or out of town in sunnier places.  Only one match so far this week and that was shortened.

But it is good to be watching Tennis Channel right now and seeing several of the pros getting back to work again.  :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #583 on: January 03, 2013, 07:11:28 AM »
Once this week  For shame!

It's been a slow start to the year here too with holidays and the club being closed.  I am getting my tennis in though, rest assured!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #584 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
I am having cararact surgery right now; left eye last Wednesday, right eye next. Tennis suspended for now but I'm looking forward to making more authorative line calls when I resume.  :lol-cry:

Meanwhile, lots of tennis on TV to watch at home and lots to look forward to in the coming summer.  :) 

It has not been a good winter for outdoor tennis  :blue: .

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Euroka's Tennis Journal
« Reply #585 on: March 15, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
Hope you are reviving great from your eye surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #586 on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks, Dallas. So far things are looking good out of the new eye.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #587 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »
How long after can you play tennis?  I assume extremely quickly, but I really have no idea.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2013, 05:56:34 AM »
I am having cararact surgery right now; left eye last Wednesday, right eye next. Tennis suspended for now but I'm looking forward to making more authorative line calls when I resume.  :lol-cry:

Meanwhile, lots of tennis on TV to watch at home and lots to look forward to in the coming summer.  :) 

It has not been a good winter for outdoor tennis  :blue: .
:rofl_2:

Seriously, best wishes for a successful surgery, speedy recovery, and return to the courts!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
Thanks Scott and MT. The surgeries hand out conflicting instructions.  One lot says, OK to play tennis and golf; another lot says to avoid bending. At least in this intermediate stage, the last things one wants is to be getting hit in an eye by a tennis ball or a dramatic fall so I will stay off the courts until a week after the second surgery.

You do get the feeling that the medical establishments are most anxious to stay unsullied legally. The actual surgery was painless but, as always, dealing with the medical personnel was not. They can be awfully officious. The eye was only a bit sore for the first day.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #590 on: March 16, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »
Thanks Scott and MT. The surgeries hand out conflicting instructions.  One lot says, OK to play tennis and golf; another lot says to avoid bending. At least in this intermediate stage, the last things one wants is to be getting hit in an eye by a tennis ball or a dramatic fall so I will stay off the courts until a week after the second surgery.

You do get the feeling that the medical establishments are most anxious to stay unsullied legally. The actual surgery was painless but, as always, dealing with the medical personnel was not. They can be awfully officious. The eye was only a bit sore for the first day.
So much for the 'care' in healthcare..... :\

Am curious about the instructions to not bend over-  will the eye actually fall out if you do so?  There must be some way to keep it in. :Confused:

On a more serious note, have you considered wearing eye protection during play?  Perhaps not asnecessary during practice or singles, but I've seen a few head shots during hot doubles exchanges.  Unintentional of course! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #591 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
Back to playing 3-5 times a week with renewed vision for the line calls.

Yes, MT, I am wearing protective eyewear now, as much as anything because the surgeon would not like to see his good work undone by a misdirected tennis ball.

Spring is finally here for enjoyable outdoor play. Still a little cool and the wind gusty but it is a great season just to be outside.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #592 on: April 08, 2013, 06:06:33 AM »
Great news, your return to court, with improved vision!!!
I think it will be interesting to see if the surgery has any impact on your ball striking abilities.
Do you find the eye protection a hinderance during play?
Personally, I sweat so much that any form of glasses would be drenched in short order.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #593 on: April 08, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
I think it will be interesting to see if the surgery has any impact on your ball striking abilities.
Personally, I sweat so much that any form of glasses would be drenched in short order.

Yes, it's nice. If anything, the eye-ball coordination is going through an adjustment but the serve is fine.

No, in my doubles game there is no hindrance and, as you pointed out, it is good for safety. The sweat issue is one that will be tested as summer comes in. We are expecting 80 deg temperatures later in the week.  :)

Offline spartacus258

• New Poster
« Reply #594 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:42 AM »
Useful information
Alegerea unei femei in materie de newbielink:http://rubyfashion.ro/incaltaminte-dama/Pantofi-dama/ [nonactive] si newbielink:http://rubyfashion.ro/Haine/rochii/ [nonactive] este in ultima vreme un magazin ce comercializeaza  newbielink:http://rubyfashion.ro/ [nonactive]

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #595 on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »

Yes, it's nice. If anything, the eye-ball coordination is going through an adjustment but the serve is fine.

No, in my doubles game there is no hindrance and, as you pointed out, it is good for safety. The sweat issue is one that will be tested as summer comes in. We are expecting 80 deg temperatures later in the week.  :)

Hi all,

One my tennis partners had cataract surgery a week or so after me and she was not allowed to go on the tennis court for three weeks!   My guy said it was OK the next day! Such is the diversity of medical advice.

Two months after and I am now off the expensive drops (about $250, not covered) that ward off infection. On the whole the cataract operation was a success. One eye is 20/20 but the other eye is less so. When I told the surgeon that, he replied that it was bad in the first place but I suspect he could have done a better job on it. Still it is way better than before and I have prescription glasses to correct partially some residual astigmatism in it but I can get by without them.

Two interesting things that I was not expecting: one, I have to have sunglasses whenever I am in bright sunlight far more than before. I can now understand why all these other aged people in the neighborhood are wearing sunglasses routinely. second, both new eyes are set for focus at infinity and there is very little accommodation built in. This means that one is always looking around for reading glasses, which  (like sunglasses) can be bought cheaply at the drug store.

But tennis is a lot easier and at least, as mentioned above, one can see the lines, and really, the fact that they can do this sort of thing today is pretty wonderful.

Not much warm sweaty weather yet but it is coming, I think, within days.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #596 on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
One my tennis partners had cataract surgery a week or so after me and she was not allowed to go on the tennis court for three weeks!   My guy said it was OK the next day! Such is the diversity of medical advice.

I have a new instructor for my Wednesday morning hit. We went through several shots, including drop shots. There's lots of diversity in the advice from tennis instructors too. It both cases one likes to go for what works but the doctors certainly give you a harder time if you don't follow theirs!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:56:56 AM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #597 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
Good stuff E-Man.
Glad you're enjoying your new peeps :yikes:.

Take good care of them and don't hesitate to wear the wrap around shades.  I've used them since I was 40 as I spend a ton of time outside for work and on the water.  There's a reason that the 'seasoned veterans of life' wear them-  they work.  Now, if the manufacturers could make them just a tad more fashionable they might catch on with the general public.

Did your other instructor move on or are you trying someone new?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
Did your other instructor move on or are you trying someone new?

The previous instructor, like the one before, moved on to a better job and one closer to home.  My basic need is really to have someone to hit with but it is also useful to be able pose dumb questions.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #599 on: May 20, 2013, 05:20:34 AM »
Sounds like a casual contract.
Sort of like 'friends with benefits'. ;-()

Good hitting partners can be very difficult to find.
One that's willing to help bring along you're game is a bonus.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the going rate in the D.C. area?
CONK da ball!!!