Author Topic: The Backhand - Nadal or Agassi  (Read 5839 times)

Offline sweet_thing

• Tennis Player
The Backhand - Nadal or Agassi
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:56:07 AM »
So I am trying to work on my backhand, I have been looking at some clips of the pros, here is my question?

Andre Agassi has a very solid backhand and he seems to hit straighter then Nadal who seems too be a lot loopier? Does that make sense, Anyhow what is better, more effective or consistent?  :confused1:

Any thought Appreciated - Thanks. :)

Here are a couple of the videos I have been watching in slow motion.
- if you click the "change video / player setting" button on the player it has a slow motion option for playback. -

Nadal Backhand -
http://www.tennisclip.com/media/271/Rafael_Nadal_-_Backhand_Cross_Court/
http://www.tennisclip.com/media/275/Rafael_Nadal_-_Backhand_Slowmotion/

Agassi Backhand -
http://www.tennisclip.com/media/273/Andre_Agassi_-_Forehand_Backhand_Slow/
http://www.tennisclip.com/media/274/Andre_Agassi_hitting_-_USTA__USOpen/

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Re: The Backhand - Nadal or Agassi
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:11:16 AM »
in my opinion Agassi is the best pro player to study because he hits the ball so clean with zero wasted movement.  everything he does before hitting the ball has the clear purpose to help him hit it harder and better.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »
In his day, Agassi hit the ball with more spin than most. But his backhand, as thejackal says, is about economy, and consistancy. But spin is consistancy, and Nadal's whole game is about spin. Nadal's backhand is more effective, and because of the spin, very consistant. But he has to work hard to get that spin. Much harder than Agassi, or most others. That's the trade off. Max effort for every shot, vs economy of effort and max effectiveness.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
if those clips are just to get some idea, then it's ok......but don't try to copy any one.......just play your natural backhand and you will device your own method gradually.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »
Agassi's backhand is most efficient. Especially on return of serves too, his backhand's awesome.

Also keep in mind that Nadal's a natural righty and his backhand is significantly unorthodox because of the luxury of having an equally or stronger arm on the back side. Not many have this luxury. Agassi would be a more typical case as I doubt he had that advantage. Some things Nadal does on his backhand are just brute force.

Offline wihamilton

• Tennis Player
    • Fuzzy Yellow Balls
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Well it sorta depends on what you are looking for.  Agassi and Nadal's backhands are, in a way, technically dissimilar.  Agassi's backhand was similar to a one hander.  His left (non-dominant) arm did most of the work.  He really only used the right arm to bring the racket around at the last minute.  Look for a transcript of his U.S. Open commentary last year.  He talks about this.

Nadal, however, has a much more "active" right (non-dominant, because he is a lefty) arm.  Venus Williams is a great example of someone who's non-dominant arm is really, really active.  She's a righty... it's almost like she's hitting a left-handed forehand.

I suggest you figure out which style you find more comfortable and go from there.  As to the question of "who has a better backhand" I'd have to go with Agassi.  The combination of his incredible hand-eye coordination and flat(ish) ball made his backhand a formidable weapon.  It penetrates the court more than Nadal's backhand.  Further, as another poster mentioned, Agassi's backhand return is better than Nadal's.  Also remember that, a few years ago, Nadal's backhand was considered somewhat of a weakness.  Finally, you could make the argument -- based on the amount of spin on their respective backhands -- that Nadal has a better clay-court backhand while Agassi has a better every-other-surface backhand.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »
Well it sorta depends on what you are looking for.  Agassi and Nadal's backhands are, in a way, technically dissimilar.  Agassi's backhand was similar to a one hander.  His left (non-dominant) arm did most of the work.  He really only used the right arm to bring the racket around at the last minute.  Look for a transcript of his U.S. Open commentary last year.  He talks about this.

Nadal, however, has a much more "active" right (non-dominant, because he is a lefty) arm.  Venus Williams is a great example of someone who's non-dominant arm is really, really active.  She's a righty... it's almost like she's hitting a left-handed forehand.

I suggest you figure out which style you find more comfortable and go from there.  As to the question of "who has a better backhand" I'd have to go with Agassi.  The combination of his incredible hand-eye coordination and flat(ish) ball made his backhand a formidable weapon.  It penetrates the court more than Nadal's backhand.  Further, as another poster mentioned, Agassi's backhand return is better than Nadal's.  Also remember that, a few years ago, Nadal's backhand was considered somewhat of a weakness.  Finally, you could make the argument -- based on the amount of spin on their respective backhands -- that Nadal has a better clay-court backhand while Agassi has a better every-other-surface backhand.

Uh? If his left arm does all the work, it has nothing to do with a single-handed backhand...

People who have great backhand usually have a great left arm, like Agassi, like Nalbandian, like Davydenko.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »
in my opinion Agassi is the best pro player to study because he hits the ball so clean with zero wasted movement.  everything he does before hitting the ball has the clear purpose to help him hit it harder and better.
There certainly is alot to learn from his preparation, movement to the ball, and recovery.  One could certainly choose a worse player to emulate!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:45 PM »
There certainly is alot to learn from his preparation, movement to the ball, and recovery.  One could certainly choose a worse player to emulate!

I think of Agassi, Davydenko, Nalbandian, and Safin. All their backhands are quite "pure".

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »

I think of Agassi, Davydenko, Nalbandian, and Safin. All their backhands are quite "pure".
Clean movers and hitters they are.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline grasshopper_nam

• Tennis Player
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:26:11 AM »
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nadal naturally right handed, but he just plays lefty? I'm pretty sure I've heard that somewhere. Kind of explain why his backhand always looked a bit weird to me.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nadal naturally right handed, but he just plays lefty? I'm pretty sure I've heard that somewhere. Kind of explain why his backhand always looked a bit weird to me.
exactly, rafael's a natural right hander........that's why he gets enormous strength on his backhand........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS