Author Topic: Prat's Shoulder/back catastrophe  (Read 1650 times)

Offline prattennis_1

• Tennis Player
Prat's Shoulder/back catastrophe
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
I had to take 5 weeks off due to small tears in my right shoulder. I rest it up, heal it, and get back on the court. Now, my shoulder/back muscles are really tight after not having played for a long while probably. Before my injury, I used to play about 5-6 days a week along with a couple of tournaments a month. I've played 2 days since coming back and the tightness is really hurting my serve. I feel like I'm not getting enough extension due to the tightness. I feel horrible cause I used to have a really huge 115-120 mph serve. Now, I'm struggling to get it to about 70 mph. I served about 30 mins yesterday, and I think 1 out 7 went in. Horrible balance too. OK...I gotta stop talking.

So, what should I do to reduce tightness in my shoulder/back? I know that taking more time off is bad for my game and my mental well being.

Thanks for all the help,

PRAT

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Prat's Shoulder/back catastrophe
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Take a look at your serve motion. It's possible that some part of the motion may be putting undue strain on the shoulder, or back. Talk to a tennis pro about it.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
maybe 2 days isn't a good enough sample to base it on. I am sure after 5 weeks off even your shoulders need a little more time to become loose again. If I don't play for a week, it takes me a good 2 sets  worth of service games to get back even remotely to my "normal" serve and this also after a lot of stretching and stuff. I thought I was one of those people who especially suffered from this stiff shoulder buisness because as I said, I need to really stretch out and then gradually work my serves and only then will I feel comfortable.

I'd say give it some more time. In the meanwhile though, take it easy. Don't go for those beastly 120 serves if you feel pain or stiffness. Gradually work yourself into serves. Watch your service motion and be more focused on doing what you used to do fluidly and comfortably. If you find a certain portion tight maybe stretch it out or go through that motion to slowly loosen it.

I think its but natural that after 5 weeks of no tennis - and that too after an injury of sorts to that very muscle - its hard to serve the same after just a few hours.

give it some time and you'll be good, I think. and of course if it doesn't work out properly then definitely consult a pro or maybe even a doctor. :good:

Offline prattennis_1

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:21 AM »
Thank you guys so much for the input thus far, especially pawan. I really feel like I'm being rushed back into the sport. I take group lessons with some really high level players, and I felt kind of overwhelmed when I was put back into the battlefield. I felt like I needed to compete at their level, and my groundstrokes really weren't that bad. Hopefully, if I continue to play everything will resove itself. My coach (knowing that was off for a 5 weeks) suggested I change my whole service motion altogether. This really made me feel terrible because before my injury my serve was the strongest part of my game. This is a long injury story, and thats another crucial part of it. Thanks again for the help.

PRAT

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
I've changed my serve somewhat due to some shoulder problems. I don't take the racquet back as far as I used to. I used to almost point the racquet at the back fence before the swing. Not I think I bring it more straight up. That puts less strain on the shoulder.
But Pawan's right, 2 days is not a good barometer.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »
Bummer about the shoulder Prat, I hope the recovery goes well for you.   So, is there lesser competition you could get back into it against or maybe just a friend to go out and hit/drill with.  Actually, I just thought, why not take a hopper out with some regularity (like every other day or 2) and practice serves to re-strengthen the muscles and work out the kinks.  Try to be patient though and be happy that you are back out on the court rather than the forced time off. 

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »
I have to agree with the stretching, it can only help.  And if you are anything like me, you will struggle to just come back into it slowly.  I am all or nothing.  But some shorter hitting sessions might do you so good. 

Hope the shoulder feels better soon!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
Stretch and strengthen with shoulder specific exercises.
Have your service motion analyzed as mentioned above.  There maybe some technical glitches which are causing your injury.
Rest and refuel.  Glucosamine has done wonders for me.
Patience, your whole tennis life is ahead of you!  Use this recovery period to strengthen other parts of your game and enjoy your time away from the courts. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:17:48 AM »
You should incooporate some sort of streching routine.  It's also important to ice it for about 20 mins after you play to get rid of any harmful inflammation.  Of course, it does not hurt to take it east for a while, but I know this is difficult.  In my opinion, ice can be your best friend during sports-related injuries.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!