Author Topic: THE Philipp Kohlschreiber THREAD (pictures,artcles,etc..about Phil)  (Read 15810 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: THE Philipp Kohlschreiber THREAD (pictures,artcles,etc..about Phil)
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2009, 07:44:59 AM »
Federer sees off Kohlschreiber fightback
 LONDON, June 26 (Reuters) - Roger Federer lost his first set of the tournament but still managed to conjure a comfortable 6-3 6-2 6-7 6-1 victory over Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber at Wimbledon on Friday.
The 27th seed was meant to provide a stern test for Federer after disposing of Novak Djokovic at the French Open last month but the gulf in class was immediate as the Swiss maestro opened up a one-set lead in just 37 minutes.
The second was in the bag 30 minutes later but the German rallied from 2-0 down in the third to take it to a tiebreak which he won with a wonderful angled backhand 7-5.
Federer, five times a champion here, snuffed out the rising threat by racing to a 3-0 lead in the fourth and finally booked a fourth-round berth against French Open finalist Robin Soderling of Sweden with a thunderous forehand winner.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2009, 07:45:37 AM »
KOHLI's INTERVIEW
after lost to Federer

Q. How is playing Federer different from facing other players?

PHILIP KOHLSCHREIBER: It's tough. I mean, he always starts everything is looking so easy and smooth with him. But for the opponent, for example me today, I always felt the pressure so much that he's starting the matches very aggressive and put a lot of pressure. Yeah, I mean, it's always nice to play against him. It's a funny boy. It's always nice, so actually it's quite funny. Unfortunate that most of the time you gonna lose.

Q. He accumulated more than 20 breakpoints on your serve although you fought many off. Is his serve or return of serve maybe even a part of his game that might get overlooked? Is his return very good?

PHILIP KOHLSCHREIBER: Yeah, I think that's also what makes it really special. He has the quality to react of everything. Also if you serve good, yeah, it's just getting many, many balls back.

From my point of view I have to say that my serve was maybe not the greatest today. But also he has the ability to read the serve quite well, makes it maybe equal.

Yeah, I mean, ever service game was quite a hard fight for me. The beginning, yeah, he was playing too strong. Finally I get the better rhythm, and maybe calm a little bit more down, and yeah, start finally play a really good third set.

Q. Did you feel after winning the tiebreaker like, Hey, this a match, I'm able to get back into it?

PHILIP KOHLSCHREIBER: I don't know. It's tough to say. He did what he always did: He's coming out from the changeover or the toilet, and start with really good service game.

Yeah, that was the only point where I a little bit angry on myself, that i didn't ‑‑ you know, that I lost or I put a lot of energy in the third set. Maybe I, yeah, start to build up myself. But it was just, yeah, too slow.

Then he had already the break up and that was the only point where I was a little bit disappointed in myself that this happened after winning the third set. He was coming out better, and normally I should try to be a little bit aggressive or in the better mood. That was the only thing.

Q. Can you see anybody beating him at Wimbledon?

PHILIP KOHLSCHREIBER: I mean, if everybody is like fighting like I did today, you know, it's always a chance. Like he was also a break up in had the third set. You always have a chance to come back.

Yeah, I mean, I think it's always the key that you have ‑‑ everybody says that you have to enjoy the matches against him. Yeah, if you fight and you believe and you give everything, there's always a chance in sport to beat everybody.

Q. You have played against him a few times. Is this the best he played against you, do you think?

PHILIP KOHLSCHREIBER: Hopefully he says he plays good today, because I felt especially in the first two sets that he always just run me down. It was just too good. Maybe I played too aggressive sometimes.

It sounds maybe stupid, but always if I play very aggressive he just had the better answer and put me on the right foot.

And then finally I start to play long rallies, maybe what is not the real tennis on grass, but for me it was feeling better also. How I came back and broke him back, I just return, you know, with a lot of quality and start to make him in a longer rallies. There I felt in the third set even better than him sometimes.

So, yeah, he was just too good. You know, it's like the points, like the short points, is just the best. You know, he's serving, and the next one is like unbelievable good.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2009, 07:47:55 AM »
Day 3 vs Ivo Minar:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »
Day 3 vs Ivo Minar:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »
Day5 vs Federer:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
Day5 vs Fed:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »
In the Zone with Philipp Kohlschreiber

Few people can probably understand the fear that seeded players have of drawing Philipp Kohlschreiber in the early rounds of a Grand Slam. If anybody can, though, it’s Anglo/American sportswriters who dread the task of spelling his family name correctly on a consistent basis.

On the one hand, facing Kohlschreiber is perhaps the most daunting task any top 10 player can encounter before the second week of a major due to his brilliant forehand/backhand combination. On the other, his surname is probably the hardest task any Anglocentric tennis journalist is likely to face, at least since the retirement of Alberto Berasategui.

If he consistently won tournaments or reached the second week of majors, then he'd be a latter round opponent the top pros could face after they've finished playing themselves into form. Also, if we were a bit more accustomed to seeing him in the latter rounds, sooner or later we'd have to get used to the polysyllabic conundrum his moniker presents, just as we did with Goran Ivanisevic and Mark Philippoussis.

This year, Kohlschreiber defeated Novak Djokovic in the third round of Roland Garros, and was one of two people to take a set from Roger Federer at Wimbledon. But the main reasons why he strikes fear into the hearts of the game's elites were spelled out in the third round of last year’s Australian Open—as were the reasons why he cannot become an elite himself.

Andy Roddick had played fine tennis in his first two matches, routing his first two opponents after expending minimal effort. Even by then Kohlschreiber had established himself as a threat, having pushed Rafael Nadal at the previous year's AO, so many anticipated a contest. Being only 5'9", though, the German was expected to go down eventually against the overpowering presence of the American.

What fans at Rod Laver Arena were treated to that night exceeded anyone's expectations: Roddick played from behind throughout the match, having lost the first set 6-4 and the third in a tiebreaker. He refused to go down, and fought deep into the fifth set, but after a final brilliant return game in which the German hit the bulls-eye on multiple passing shots, the American was an upset victim in the cruelest of fashions: an 8-6 fifth set.

Throughout that match, Kohlschreiber was in The Zone: He hit a total of 104 winners in those five sets, hardly offset by a minute 33 errors. Despite his average height, his ace total was 32; a total that was practically Croatian in its scope.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
Philipp at US Open:
1st Round: def. A Seppi 6-0 6-4 6-4
next up: vs S Devvarman

Perfect start for Kohli, that was great performance against Seppi !

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2009, 11:03:57 AM »
Devvarman loses but takes heart at US Open

NEW YORK — India's Somdev Devvarman's first Grand Slam campaign came to a end when he lost to 23rd seed Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany on Thursday but he said he will learn from the experience.

The 24-year-old from Chennai won three qualifying matches to make it into the main draw at the US Open and then won his first-round match against Frederico Gil of Portugal in straight sets.

But the experienced Kohlschreiber, who has taken some notable scalps this year including that of Novak Djokovic at the French Open, had too much experience and ability, winning 6-3, 6-4, 0-6, 6-2.

Devvarman, who won back-to-back US collegiate titles playing for the University of Virginia in 2007 and 2008, said his time spent at Flushing Meadows had been "a great experience."

"Qualifying for the US Open was a great breakthrough for me and then to win a match and take a set off Philipp and have some chances against him will give me great confidence for the future," he said.

"I just have to take the right steps to get better and move up the rankings - work harder, get stronger, hit the ball harder and serve better."

Devvarman said he is also acutely aware that there is growing interest in tennis in India brought on by the recent successes of Sania Mirza in the women's game and in doubles play.

He said he drew early inspiration from the likes of doubles champions Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupati as well as stars from an earlier era like Vijay Amritraj and Ramesh Krishnan.

"I have a great opportunity coming from such a great country with such a great tradition in sport and hopefully I can get better and give them something to cheer about," he said.

Devvarman's exploits at Flushing Meadows, coming after he left the collegiate system, have pushed him up to a world ranking of 162, which will improve when the next ATP rankings come out.

He notably reached the final of his hometown tournament in Chennai in January and then in early August reached the third round in Washington, where he lost to Ivo Karlovic.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
Philipp at US Open:
1st Round: def. A Seppi 6-0 6-4 6-4
2nd Round: def. S Devvarman 6-3 6-4 0-6 6-2
next up:vs R Stepanek

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
Kohlschreiber claims comeback victory

Second seed Philipp Kohlschreiber recovered from a set down to battle past Bjorn Phau and into the quarter-finals of the Open de Moselle in Metz.

German Kohlschreiber needed an hour and 49 minutes to see off his compatriot after dropping the first set, eventually winning 4-6 6-3 6-2.

Next up for Kohlschreiber is Evgeny Korolev of Russia, who also recovered from a set down to beat Denis Istomin 3-6 7-5 7-6 (7-2)

Third seed Paul-Henri Mathieu of France beat Marc Gicquel 7-6 (7-5) 6-4, while Germany's Andreas Beck, seeded seventh, was a 6-2 6-4 winner against Frenchman Thierry Ascione.

Also on Wednesday there were first-round victories for French pair Michael Llodra and Sebastien Grosjean.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »
Philipp at the Open de Moselle:
2nd Round:def. B Phau 4-6 6-3 6-2
Quarter F :def. E Korolev 6-1 6-3
Semi Final:def. PH Mathieu 7-6 6-4

Final     :lost to G.Monfils 6-7 6-3 2-6

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »
Monfils downs Kohlschreiber to take Metz crown

Frenchman Gael Monfils thrilled the home crowd on Sunday by winning the Open de Moselle tennis event, beating Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber in three sets.

Monfils earned the 7-6 (7-1), 3-6, 6-2 triumph in the over two-hour battle between the top seeds.

The top-seeded Monfils picked up his first title of the season and just his second in eight lifetime finals. He lost to Ivan Ljubicic in the 2005 Metz final.

"[I am] very happy about winning this second title; I've been waiting for it for a long time," said Monfils. "Being in France, this title is even more special to me, as I won it here in front of my family and friends."

Kohlschreiber owns a 2-2 mark in title matches, having not won since early in 2008 in Auckland. This was his first final appearance since Halle in June 2008.

"I was a little bit lucky that I won the second set because he had all those break points," said Kohlschreiber. "But I think I played well in my games, I fought a lot and if you fight and hang in there I won the second set. The beginning of the third [set] was even and then he started to play two, three really good games and the match was unfortunately over."

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
Kohli in Vienna:
1st Round:def Kindlmann 6-1 6-3
2nd Round:def Crivoi  6-2 3-0 ret.

Quarter Fnl: vs Almagro

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
Kohlschreiber, Almagro reach Vienna quarterfinals

VIENNA — Second-seeded Radek Stepanek stayed on course for his third ATP title this season, defeating Frederico Gil 6-2, 6-3 to reach the quarterfinals of the BA Trophy on Wednesday.

Janko Tipsarevic defeated eighth-seeded John Isner of the United States 7-6 (4), 6-4. The Serb, who reached his first career final in Moscow last week, managed only four points off Isner's serve in the opening set before winning the tiebreaker.

"I never ever saw Isner hit one ball before the match ... had no idea how he was playing," Tipsarevic said. "He has a good forehand from the spot. I didn't play well in the first set as I didn't make him move enough."

Tipsarevic used his fifth break point in the second to close out the match with a backhand winner.

Philipp Kohlschreiber and Nicolas Almagro also reached the quarterfinals.

The 14th-ranked Stepanek was in control throughout and faced no break points. In the quarterfinals, the Czech plays either Jurgen Melzer or Dominik Hrbaty, who beat Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 6-3, 6-4 in a first-round match Wednesday.

The fourth-seeded Kohlschreiber reached his fifth ATP quarterfinal of the season when Victor Crivoi of Romania retired with a shoulder injury while trailing 6-2, 3-0. Kohlschreiber conceded only five points on serve and broke Crivoi four times.

The German next plays Almagro, who defeated Wayne Odesnik of the United States 6-4, 6-4. Almagro faced no break points and broke Odesnik once in each set.

In the first round, 2008 finalist Gael Monfils edged Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain 7-5, 6-4. The third-seeded Frenchman, who won his second career title in his native Metz last month, held serve throughout. Garcia-Lopez double-faulted on Monfils' third match point.

"I haven't much practice behind me ... Physically I have to improve," said Monfils, who retained his slim chance of qualifying for the season-ending ATP finals.

Also, Dominik Hrbaty of Slovakia defeated Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo of Spain 6-3, 6-4 and will take on Jurgen Melzer of Austria in the second round.

Daniel Koellerer cruised past Jarkko Nieminen 6-1, 6-2 and will play 2004 champion Feliciano Lopez in the second round.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
Kohli in Vienna:
1st Round:def Kindlmann 6-1 6-3
2nd Round:def Crivoi  6-2 3-0 ret.
Quarter Fnl:def Almagro 7-5 6-4

Semi final: lost to Cilic 4-6 6-7
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:06:42 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
Kohlschreiber steers towards more German success in Vienna

Vienna - Philipp Kohlschreiber began lining up a possible second straight year of German success at the Bank Austria Trophy with a defeat of Spain's Nicolas Almagro 7-5, 6-4 for a semi-final spot Friday.

The number 24 won his sixth match at the tournament to duplicate his showing of a year ago, when he reached the last four at the Stadthalle before losing to Frenchman Gael Monfils.

Compatriot Philipp Petzschner went on to win the 2008 title.

Fourth seed Kohlschreiber will await an opponent as Croatian top seed Marin Cilic faces 2004 winner Feliciano Lopez, the Spanish number six.

Cilic was called in as a late wild card after US Open winner Juan Del Potro pulled out with the injuries which have plagued him since his Grand Slam success over Roger Federer nearly two months ago.

Kohlschreiber concluded his victory over Almagro with an eighth ace after breaking twice and saving all three opportunities against his own serve.

'I like my game right now and I'm really confident on this surface. For me, it doesn't matter if it's fast or slow. I'll play on it no matter what the speed.

'I didn't have a brilliant match but it was solid. I'm pleased to be back in the semi-finals and hope to go farther than last year.

'I'm very confident right now and feel I can do well.'

The German, finalist this month against Monfils at Metz, improved to 3-1 over Almagro, ranked 28th and the champion last spring in Acapulco.

Kohlschreiber's victory was his 40th of the season after reaching his third semi-final this year.

In later quarter-finals, second seed Radek Stepanek was playing Austrian Jurgen Melzer while Monfils, the number three, was taking on Serb Janko Tipsarevic, last week's losing finalist in Moscow.

Cilic, Stepanek and Monfils are all chasing one of the last two places in next month's eight-man World Tour Finals in London.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »
Kohli lost Chiudinelli 6-7 6-4 5-7

Great run in Vienna, obviously ended in the 1st Round in Basel with his lost to the home player. Tough loss , but still one more tour remaining, Auf Geht's !

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2010, 02:37:40 AM »

Philipp at the Australian Open:
1st Round:def Zeballos 6-1 7-5 6-1
next up: vs Odesnik

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2010, 07:39:37 AM »

Philipp at the Australian Open:
1st Round:def Zeballos 6-1 7-5 6-1
2nd Round:def Odesnik  6-4 3-6 6-3 6-2

next up vs Nadal ! Auf Geht's!!!

TOMMY HAAS