Author Topic: THE Philipp Kohlschreiber THREAD (pictures,artcles,etc..about Phil)  (Read 16374 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: THE Philipp Kohlschreiber THREAD (pictures,artcles,etc..about Phil)
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »
Australian Open Rafael Nadal vs Philipp Kohlschreiber

Nadal should advance to the 4th round provided he does not take Kohlschreiber lightly.

Rafael Nadal advanced out of the second round of the Australian Open earlier on Wednesday and he now draws Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber, a match that should not be a big challenge for Nadal but one that he may have to pay attention to.

Kohlschreiber is the 26th ranked player in the world, a position he's been hovering around for quite some time, and he is no pushover.

During 2009 Kohlschreiber had victories over Novak Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Marin Cilic, Juan Carlos Ferrero, and Fernando Verdasco and he, Kohlschreiber, has to be considered to be a moderate threat against Nadal.

However the Spaniard is 4-0 against Kohlschreiber, 2-0 on hard court, and that includes a victory at the 2007 Australian Open.

While Kohlschreiber has taken sets off of Nadal in the past on hard court, he has never really fully challenged for victory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUF GET'S KOHLI! DO WHAT HASI COULDN'T 1 YEAR AGO!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2010, 02:55:14 AM »
Ferrer, Kohlschreiber advance to final eight

David Ferrer pocketed his fifth career victory over Ivan Ljubicic on Thursday, earning him safe passage into the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters quarterfinal. The 10th-seeded Spaniard is joined by two-time quarter-finalist Philipp Kohlschreiber.

(11) David Ferrer def. (8) Ivan Ljubicic 6-0, 7-6(4)

David Ferrer extended his series lead to 5-1 over round of 16 opponent Ivan Ljubicic Thursday afternoon. The 11th-seeded Spaniard secured four of 12 break points, including a trio of them in the opener, en route to a 6-0, 7-6(4) success in 91 minutes. Ljubicic committed a host of unforced errors during the match, unable to win more than 41% of his second-service points. With the round of 16 victory, the World No. 17 improved his 2010 record to 20-6. Ferrer, through to his fifth Monte-Carlo quarter, has snagged 14 matches on clay this season.

The 28-year-old will take on unseeded Philipp Kohlschreiber for a place in the semifinal.

Philipp Kohlschreiber def. Philipp Petzschner 6-3, 6-4

Philipp Kohlschreiber scored his second win against compatriot Philipp Petzschner on Thursday, without a loss of serve. Kohlschreiber took one break per set and held 10 of 10 service games, on his way to a 6-3, 6-4 victory in one hour and 33 minutes. The World No. 33 made his first ATP World Tour quarterfinal since February, where he finished among the last eight in San Jose. Kohlschreiber is through to his second Monte-Carlo quarter, having reached the same stage in 2007 (lost to Nadal).

The German trails 11th seed David Ferrer 3-4 heading into their quarterfinal clash on Friday.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
I saw the 2nd set and poor Kohli seemed to be lacking in confidence.
Ferrer's body language was that of a winner throughout the set and indeed he managed to take it to a TB and dominate there as well.
Hopefully Philipp can build on his success this week and work on the mental aspect of his game.  Technically, I thought he looked pretty darn good! :gleam:

On a side note, after reviewing the match stats, The Chief pointed out the lopsided numbers in the first serve %.  DF at 49% and PK at 63%( I think).  A perfect illustration of how the serve is nullified by clay.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05:34 AM »
Seems like no one  is paying attention to some of 'these threads'  :)~
I should prolly follow Babb's steps and squeeze 'my guys' into one thread  :rofl_2:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
Interview with Philipp Kohlschreiber after his win against Lukasz Kubot , Halle 2R

Q: Did you play that well after the tiebreak or was your opponent that weaker?

KOHLSCHREIBER: I think that actually it wasnít really necessary that I lost the first set. The reason I lost is was that I didnít make enough points on his second serve in the tiebreak. I think I was a bit too hesitant, too anxious. I could have won the first set but he took his chances. I also think that he didnít play on the same level in the second and third set. He gave me an early break in the second which encouraged me. I always had the feeling that I was a hint better than he was. But thatís just a feeling. Sometimes you lose the first set and still think you are the better player. Fortunately, the feeling I had turned out to be true. As I said, I think he didnít keep up his level.

Q: Werenít you annoyed you didnít use the two break points in the eleventh game? The match would have been faster?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Yes, it was annoying that he played a dream ball, which you donít get to see everyday, on the one point, and on the other point I play a difficult half volley which was out. That was the only moment I would say I didnít use my chances. Before, I didnít really find my way into the match. Also in the tiebreak in the first set I did too many mistakes on my returns, especially on his second serves which always give you opportunities on grass. So that was the game plan for the second and third set to change something, to go for it. There are not a lot of rallies with him. I think he is a very aggressive player, hits every ball hard and always swings through. The balls are extremely fast which makes it difficult for my game. He hits one Ďbombí after the other. But I think that I mixed up my game in the second and third set and found my ways into the match.

Q: Do you already have the right feeling for the grass court as last year here in Halle?

KOHLSCHREIBER: It always depends on your opponent. Assuming, for instance, that Nadal might be waiting for me in the quarters, last yearís tournament was easier for me. But every victory increases your self-confidence. Itís a lot of fun and the second and third set encouraged me and showed that I also can deal with not getting enough rhythm. I dealt well with that in the second set. I didnít get a lot of opportunities but I used the ones I got immediately. And thatís what tennis is about.

Q: Do you feel ready for a match against Nadal? Youíve never beaten him?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Yes, Iíve lost to him often Ė unfortunately. On clay, I really took some punishing but on hard court we have had some fights. What can I say? That it is going to be very difficult and the chances rare against such a top player. I will ask Flo Mayer, he already did it. It might sound silly but I think that the on grass the chances might be the best because he also didnít have a long time to prepare. He only played one match. It might sound silly but I think Ė and we all know Ė that his game on clay is the best. The faster it is the more chances I might get.

Q: So, does todayís experience not to play too anxiously apply? Should you play really courageously against Nadal?

KOHLSCHREIBER: I think it should be the right mixture. You canít just go for it all the time. Thatís not the right recipe. I think especially against the top players you shouldnít be anxious to play an okay ball because they also need to win the point. I learned over the years that you put yourself under too much pressure when playing these top guys, you always play onto the lines because you realise that they play an even better ball defensively than somebody who might be ranked fifty. They do less mistakes. But I donít want to make that mistake tomorrow. I intend to play controlled and offensive. I know that Iíll ned to be aggressive because if the ball is slow he can accelerate the ball like nobody else. Therefore, Iíll need to keep him busy. But I also shouldnít do too many mistakes because he is far too solid.

Q: Where did you spend the football night yesterday?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Here with Ralf Weber and Roberto Blanco in the VIP-area. It was definitely a delightful result. As I said we should kick the Dutch out of the tournament. Itís still very interesting in the group. I think every team still has a chance. Iím really enthusiastic about the game. I think the Germans were highly focussed and there were two dream goals by Gomez. But I also want to warn the team not to take a rest now. There are many more difficult matches to come. As a fan I hope that they will keep on playing like that because itís really fun to watch them play.

Q: As a Bayern fan do you feel for Arjen Robben?

KOHLSCHREIBER: I donít really want to comment on that topic. Of course, I am disappointed as a fan how the last games went. But I also know from my own experience that he surely gave his best. He absolutely wanted to help Bayern Munich and therefore said he would shoot the penalty and looked for opportunities. Sometimes it just doesnít work out. I know that he really gives everything. Therefore, as a fan I might be disappointed that the team lost but I would never blame a player. He also wanted 100% that the team won and surely it hurts him much more than it hurts me or anybody else.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
GERRY WEBER OPEN 2012
Kohlschreiber Stuns Nadal In Halle Quarter-finals
Halle, Germany
by ATP Staff

Defending Halle champion Philipp Kohlschreiber stunned top seed Rafael Nadal at the Gerry Weber Open Friday, winning their quarter-final clash 6-3, 6-4 to secure his first victory in nine meetings with the Spaniard.

Kohlschreiber won 27 of his 30 first serve points, and saved all three break points he faced. He broke Nadal once in each set to advance in 86 minutes, registering his first win in 12 attempts against a World No. 2.

The eighth-seeded German improved his record in Halle to a 22-6 mark, and is through to the semi-finals for the fifth time. He is bidding to join Roger Federer and Yevgeny Kafelnikov as the only players to successfully defend their crown in Halle. The tournament is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.

The loss for Nadal halted his 13-match win streak, which saw him triumph over Novak Djokovic in both the Internazionali BNL d'Italia title match in Rome, and this past Mondayís Roland Garros final. His previous defeat came to Fernando Verdasco in the third round of the Mutua Madrid Open.

In the semi-finals, Kohlschreiber will take on third seed and 2007 winner Tomas Berdych, or countryman Tommy Haas.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:32:55 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
Interview with Philipp Kohlschreiber after his win against Rafael Nadal

Q: Obviously you were the better player on the court but maybe mentally it was a little bit tough to put the nail in the coffin?

KOHLSCHREIBER: For sure, like I said on the court, Rafa is the most competitive player on the Tour. He hates to lose. So, obviously he tried everything. In the last game he was fighting a lot. I was very happy of course with the performance. I didnít get nervous which was also very important. Basically, I had a really great day from the beginning to the end and of course we know that Rafa came here very late. He didnít have so much time to prepare on grass. I was here on Wednesday and we all know that in the last years I always played really good tennis. Like I said Iím very happy that I had a great day today.

Q: How do rank this win in your best of?

KOHLSCHREIBER: From the name, from the match for sure itís the best victory. I mean he won eleven Grand Slam titles and many other titles. So, for sure itís really really great. Iím also realistic that he didnít have his best match or his best day but for myself I played maybe one of the best matches here on grass so far. I played very aggressive. I didnít give him so many opportunities to fight in the game. I tried to make the rallies short, to be very aggressive, to attack, to come to the net. I also tried to return very hard to the middle and everything worked out very well.

Q: How positive do you feel going into your next match and further ahead looking toward Wimbledon with this win?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Of course, I think inside Iím very very happy and when I go back to the hotel for sure I will celebrate. And on the other hand I also know itís not the end of the tournament. Now, Iím in the semis. So, itís a little bit tricky. The victory today is for sure fantastic but tomorrow itís going to be a very tough day. I think Tommy Haas or Tomas Berdych both are really fantastic players on grass. Itís going to be for sure maybe tougher than today because for Iím going to celebrate a little today the victory but these guys also prepared well for grass. I think itís going to be a very tough semi-final tomorrow.

Q: Did you expect that he would find his self-confidence in the course of the match?

KOHLSCHREIBER: I think I did everything correctly. I tried to keep the rallies short. I was able to take advantage of his insecurity. He didnít put so much power into his game as usually and his timing was off. I was able to take advantage of that. I was able to play a lot of winners which made him even more insecure and game me even more self-confidence.

Q: Was your preparation for this match any different than usually?

KOHLSCHREIBER: No. I have to say that I was quite relaxed. In the morning I practiced with Mikhail Youzhny which really felt good. I knew I have nothing to lose. I knew that even if I had won in three sets yesterday, the second and third set I played very solid. I watched his match on TV yesterday and saw that he hadnít really arrived on grass yet. I know he is the biggest fighter on the Tour and really hates to lose.

Q: You canít choose your opponent but who suits your game better?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Difficult to say. I played against Tomas Berdych this year. On a good day, his game is very unpleasant for me. He has a strong serve but what really distinguishes him is that he plays the balls very hard and very flat which I donít like too much Ė but donít tell anybody (smiles). So, it is going to be tough. Also Tommy is in really good shape and plays on a top level. Iíve played him here twice. It was always close. I think both of them are great grass court players and itís going to be a difficult match. For sure Iím not going to be the favourite just because I kicked up the number one seed. If you look at Tommyís career, heís been much more successful than I have. He also played semis in Wimbledon. Both are really good grass court players and Iím not going to be the favourite tomorrow.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
Interview with Philipp Kohlschreiber after his semifinal against Tommy Haas

Q: What happened in the tiebreak? 4-1 and then suddenly something was very wrong, wasnít it?

KOHLSCHREIBER: I donít think something was very wrong. I think Tommy played two good returns and a return winner at 4-2 and another good return and the two mini breaks were gone. But I think we both played a really good match. Tommy played better today. The was tremendously solid, highly focussed in every game. I couldnít really do a lot in his service games. I think the first set was quite even and I also served well, won my service games. But in the long run, Tommy placed his serves well and I didnít have enough opportunities to put him under pressure.

Q: In the second set you got broken after the roof was closed. Was that coincidence?

KOHLSCHREIBER: That was the only moment that I played worse that Tommy . It was 40-15 and I did two similar mistakes with the forehand. Of course, you could say that shouldnít happen but when you play one and half hours and were very focussed, hardly did mistakes, played very aggressively, then mistakes can happen. All in all, Tommy was the stronger player today, he was more solid and unfortunately he won.

Q: In the first set you didnít give away one point until 5-6 on your own serve. Is that even more annoying to lose the tiebreaker?

KOHLSCHREIBER: If we were to analyse everything then I can only blame myself when I played the volley, built up the point, donít play the volley properly, he passes me longline and itís deuce. That was also the shot I challenged. If you always took the right decision that could have been the break. But you need to take decisions quickly and on grass itís even faster. As Iíve been saying all week, Tommy is really playing great tennis. His game works well on grass. Heís always aggressive also on his second serves. He almost made more points on his second serve than on his first. That is unbelievable.

Q: But can you still be satisfied? You were the title defendant and made it to the semis?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Yes, it was a great tournament. Also today Ö itís never nice to lose. Iíve become calmer and am happier with myself. I showed a good performance. Improving is a long-term project. I think there was a lot I did well today. You canít play an unbelievable match every day. But for sure, it was a good day today. A great week. You donít expect to make it to the semis. I played four strong matches and am looking forward to the coming years.

Q: With what feeling are you going to Wimbledon now?

KOHLSCHREIBER: First I have to get over losing today. Itís always disappointing when you made it so close to the final. I donít want to think about Wimbledon. I can still improve on grass which I will try to do next week in Eastbourne so I can hopefully show some good grass court tennis in Wimbledon.

Q: Normally, you donít play a tournament prior to the Grand Slams. Why did you decide to play Eastbourne?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Just in order to live a different atmosphere. Here, the Centre Court is sold out every time. The atmosphere is amazing, we have the hawk eye. In Wimbledon I will play on one of the smaller courts, thereíll be no hawk eye, people walk past. Therefore, itís not bad to get used to not playing on the Centre Court every day and to be aware that there might be some hundred people watching instead of thousands. So, I want to feel that you have to fight in order to play on the Centre Court.

Q: Do you also have the Olympics in mind since the grass court season is longer than usually this year?

KOHLSCHREIBER: I was informed that at the moment Iím not nominated for the Olympics which is just too great. Therefore, I canít really comment on the Olympics. Itís very annoying when you want to play and your committee decides youíre not good enough. #

Q: But shouldnít you be in due to your ranking in the first 56?

KOHLSCHREIBER: The German committee called 24 in the world which I didnít reach after Paris. So, Iím not in.

Q: But youíll try?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Yes, they are still discussing things. But for now, Iím not nominated. Of course, I hope that the decision will change because itís really a big shame.

Q: Maybe a good performance in Wimbledon would help?

KOHLSCHREIBER: Maybe but I think that the whole discussion is ridiculous.

Q: Who informed you?

KOHLSCHREIBER: As far as Iím informed Klaus Eberhard who kept us posted with the DTB and DOSB over the past weeks. First, they said it might get better because a lot of ball sports didnít qualify so they might change the criteria. For now no German tennis player is on the list to participate in the Olympics.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
U.S. Open: Philipp Kohlschreiber beats John Isner in five sets, match ends after 2 a.m.

NEW YORKóTying the record for latest finish at the U.S. Open, Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany eliminated marathon man John Isner of the United States 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 at 2:26 a.m. Monday, reaching the fourth round.

The official completion time was the same as a second-round match in 1993, when Mats Wilander beat Mikael Pernfors.

ďOf course, itís very late, so everybody here is really a crazy tennis fan,Ē the 19th-seeded Kohlschreiber told the few fans who remained during an on-court interview.

He won his sixth consecutive five-setter. No. 9 Isner, the highest-seeded American man, dropped his fourth in a row ó and did it in angry fashion, getting docked a point for smashing a racket. It caps a disappointing Grand Slam season for Isner, who didnít make it past the third round at any of the four major tournaments.

An earlier three-set victory by Maria Sharapova in Arthur Ashe Stadium was interrupted by a rain delay, and Isner and Kohlschreiber didnít start until after 11 p.m. Sunday. They played 3 hours, 20 minutes.

That length pales in comparison to Isnerís record 11-hour, 5-minute victory at Wimbledon in 2010, and his 5-hour, 41-minute loss at the French Open this year.

Against Kohlschreiber, the 6-foot-9 Isner hit 22 aces, but he lost all three break points he faced. He only was able to break the German twice in 11 chances.

After the fourth set against Kohlschreiber ended at about 1:30 a.m., a sweat-soaked Isner headed to the locker room for a full wardrobe change, even switching shoes.

That added a delay of about eight minutes. When Isner came back, his mood quickly soured.

In the first game of the fifth set, he got upset over a miscommunication when chair umpire Carlos Bernardes charged him for an instant-replay challenge that Isner said he didnít really want. After pushing a forehand long on the next point, Isner whacked a ball in anger into the stands, drawing a warning for unsporstsmanlike conduct.

Later in that game, a foot-fault call by a line judge that Isner disagreed with erased an ace and led to a double-fault. And after missing a forehand, Isner got broken to trail 1-0.

Two games later, now down 2-1, Isner re-aired his anger at that call, saying to Bernardes: ďWho is this guy? How is he going to call a foot-fault? Worst call ever.Ē

With that, Isner sat down in his changeover chair and pounded his racket to the court twice, busting up the frame then chucking it away. Because of the earlier warning, Bernardes charged Isner with a point penalty, so Kohlschreiber started the next game ahead 15-love. Nonetheless, Isner wound up getting a break point at 30-40, but Kohlschreiber erased that with a backhand winner down the line.

Isner got another break chance while down 4-3, but he sent a groundstroke long, and Kohlschreiber wound up holding to lead 5-3. Two games later, the match was over.

Next for Kohlschreiber is a match Tuesday against No. 8 Janko Tipsarevic, whose victory Sunday ended more than eight hours earlier.

Asked what the key for him will be moving forward, Kohlschreiber replied: ďRecover as soon as possible.Ē

TOMMY HAAS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »
Vamos Phillip! I think he can go all the way to semifinals and top 10! I love his style.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline mita420

• Tennis Player
    • Cuban Cigars Best
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »
France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga reached his second successive Wimbledon semi-final with a 7-6 4-6 7-6 6-2 win over German Philipp Kohlschreiber.