Author Topic: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009  (Read 29811 times)

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
Re: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009
« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »
2-0! Ronaldo with a header after a brilliant move :))

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
No analysis, just some thoughts from the bottom of my heart!
With the new Champions League format all the big clubs have won the title again, all but not Inter. It's very sad, more than you can imagine.
The invention of Inter, catenaccio, only lasted 4 minutes.

I didn't know Inter were planing a comeback in the Champions League. I hate that word. It's a return to Serie A.
A return for millions of fans who would never forget Inter.
There's noting tragic about being a great club, not unless you're trying to be the greatest club.
Don't you sometimes hate your favourite clubs? Constantly.
We don't need discussions. Don't be silly, Oh wake up conchita, you'd be killing yourself in an empty stadium. Inter left 1 hour ago.
Tell her, Chris, Do her that favor, tell her isn't going to be another Champions League title for Inter.  It's not true, Inter is a great club.
Yes, this is the San Siro, Milan, it's about 2 o'clock in the morning, that's the suicide squad, complete with coaches and journalists.
The clubs are ageless, aren't they? Inter was the greatest of them all, you would not know, you're too young.
No one ever leaves a wonderful club as Inter. That's what truly makes one club a star.

Congratulations to Manchester United players, coaches and fans!  :)
I know. Well played!!  :)
Best of luck for the remaining Champions League matches!  :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »
I'm just so happy we have made it through to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League :yahoo: :grind dance: :winner: :applause: :cloud 9: :shakey: :yahoo: :grind dance: :winner: :applause: :cloud 9: :shakey: Beating the Italian Champions is a big step forward to what we want and could achieve this season so this is a huge night for this wonderful club :cloud 9: After we scored we really did play pretty poor, far too often passing poorly and really letting Inter at us. That 2nd goal- a great move I must ad and superb work from Rooney to set Ronaldo up, was crucial for us early in the 2nd half and we generally controlled the match from there. Inter were so much better tonight than 2 weeks ago in Italy. They looked like the Italian Champions tonight and showed some real fight. Also this is a big win as I and many rate Mourinho as one of the very best managers in world football so to get by him is fantastic and a big step towards retaining our trophy. Conchita I know how disappointed you'll be but as I said in the message you can take comfort from going out to one of the greatest ever United sides and the Champions of England, Europe and the World, and the team that might just retain all of those trophies :)

On we go then- Quarter Finals next in the Champions League so lets see who we get in the draw!!

Now just 18 games from absolute paradise and going down in the record books for ever at winning the unthinkable Quintuple + Community Shield!! :cloud 9: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Next up- Those Scousers on Saturday!!!  :)>>>>  :)>>>> Lets take the biggest step yet towards retaining our League title and finishing off their almost non- existent hopes of winning our trophy  :)>>>>  :)>>>>
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »
Excellent post Chris! gracias for your kind words!  :cool:

at last Arsenal have beaten Roma 7-6 on penalties in the highest-scoring shoot-out in Champions League history! :)
what's that the final at the Olimpico Foro Italico?  :rofl_2:
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
Early goal for United but pretty poor performance after that; they sat back and nearly paid the price several times. United could have scored again too, though, John O'Shea opted to shoot when Berbatov would have had an open goal to score!

Need to step it up a gear in the second half.

Oh dear God. I have more confidence when Fabian Barthez goes for a dribble  :whistle:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #245 on: March 12, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
I'm just so happy we have made it through to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League :yahoo: :grind dance: :winner: :applause: :cloud 9: :shakey: :yahoo: :grind dance: :winner: :applause: :cloud 9: :shakey: Beating the Italian Champions is a big step forward to what we want and could achieve this season so this is a huge night for this wonderful club :cloud 9: After we scored we really did play pretty poor, far too often passing poorly and really letting Inter at us. That 2nd goal- a great move I must ad and superb work from Rooney to set Ronaldo up, was crucial for us early in the 2nd half and we generally controlled the match from there. Inter were so much better tonight than 2 weeks ago in Italy. They looked like the Italian Champions tonight and showed some real fight. Also this is a big win as I and many rate Mourinho as one of the very best managers in world football so to get by him is fantastic and a big step towards retaining our trophy. Conchita I know how disappointed you'll be but as I said in the message you can take comfort from going out to one of the greatest ever United sides and the Champions of England, Europe and the World, and the team that might just retain all of those trophies :)

On we go then- Quarter Finals next in the Champions League so lets see who we get in the draw!!

Now just 18 games from absolute paradise and going down in the record books for ever at winning the unthinkable Quintuple + Community Shield!! :cloud 9: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Next up- Those Scousers on Saturday!!!  :)>>>>  :)>>>> Lets take the biggest step yet towards retaining our League title and finishing off their almost non- existent hopes of winning our trophy  :)>>>>  :)>>>>

God I hate to go to school just because I miss all this
BUT..........
WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT!!

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #246 on: March 12, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »
Barcelona (6) 5 - 2 (3) Lyon

Lyon utterly capitulated to rampant Barcelona in the first half of this epic Champions League encounter, but the French side managed to salvage some pride in the second period as the Blaugrana tailed off.

That isn't to take away too much from the hosts, though; their opening 43 minutes of play were relentlessly effective and mesmerisingly beautiful in equal measure; the kind of play for which Barcelona have become famous, albeit in doses all too small to be called consistent.

Still, it was clear from the outset that the home fans were to be in for a treat. As early as the ninth minute Lionel Messi had set up Thierry Henry for a half-chance, but what was really of note was Barcelona's midfield dominance.

Indeed, the likes of Jeremy Toulalan were struggling to make an impact, and a lack of passing options were presenting themselves to Lyon, resulting in every clearance, near enough, being an aimless punt. When Fabio Grosso attempted a considered pass into midfield in the 14th minute, in fact, he found only Andres Iniesta, whose through ball to Samuel Eto'o should have been put away. However, the Cameroonian shot over.

Lyon were having immense trouble getting out of their own half, but one effort saw Juninho - in a rare moment of possession - dink the ball over the top for Karim Benzema, but the forward's finish was as poor as Eto'o's.

Still, the first half was all about Barca, and it was no surprise when in the 24th minute they took the lead. With Jean-Alain Boumsong woefully positioned, Rafael Marquez's long ball forward found Thierry Henry onside to go one-on-one with Hugo Lloris and bury a low finish.

Two minutes later 'Titi' Henry doubled the advantage. This time the strike was prettier; great work from Xavi put Henry through just ahead of the again-dozing Boumsong, although the defender may feel that Henry was offside this time. No flag went up, though, and Henry was left to make a fine finish.

Lyon were all at sea, with even Yaya Toure having the run of the attacking midfield for Barcelona, such was the visitors' ineffectiveness. Juninho's next contribution was to get a yellow card; Lionel Messi's was to score.

Yes, the Argentine had been quiet, but in one glorious moment he showed just why he is carving out a reputation as a Ballon d'Or winner-in-waiting. Seizing the ball on the right, he left three defenders for dead, played the one-two with Eto'o in the box, and then passed the ball past the agog Lloris to make it 3-0.

The onslaught did not end there. Samuel Eto'o put his recent duck behind him to slam home a convincing finish after Cris - previously one of the more solid stoppers - contrived to miss Henry's cross from the left.

Lyon could have shriveled up and died, but to their credit a lifeline of sorts came courtesy of Jean-Il Makoun seconds before the break with an excellent, albeit unmarked, header from Juninho's far-post corner.

Nobody saw it coming but it was game on right after the interval as Juninho himself put his poor start behind him to get on the score-sheet. Delgado, with practically his first action of the game, fought Iniesta off on the right and cut back a low cross; Karim Benzema showed maturity and wisdom to dummy for the onrushing Juninho to bury it.

Suddenly Barcelona were worried - surely they weren't going to throw it away? When Karim Benzema was just a mere inch offside when breaking down the left, the fans wondered if the comeback was coming.

In fact, though, for all Lyon's improvement in the midfield, Barcelona were to enjoy the bulk of the chances heading up to the hour mark, with Cris pulling off a great block to prevent Dani Alves from converting a Messi cross, and Henry and Xavi coming close soon after.

Lyon, while showing plenty of spirit, lacked finesse, and their persistent fouling saw cards for Grosso and Makoun as the ending stages approached.

But with ten minutes to go their hopes were so nearly raised as Ederson and Toulalan found Benzema unmarked on the edge of the box with an angled shot just waiting to be taken. Inexplicably, the youngster blasted over, and with the ball went his side's hopes of a fightback.

The Blaugrana knew the game was now theirs as they made some late substitutions, and the game ended with the unhappy sight of Juninho - the man who seemed set to spark a comeback - being sent off for a second bookable offence, namely for a pointless act of dissent.

Barcelona, then, held on convincingly for the win - and in fact built on it. Right at the death substitute Seydou Keita took advantage of Hugo Lloris' decision to come off his line to meet a lovely Xavi through ball to finish after taking it round the 'keeper.

So, five goals to Barcelona about sums up their attacking brilliance on the night, and while Pep Guardiola will worry about this side's propensity towards defensive errors, they absolutely outclassed Lyon, especially in midfield, and are worthy last eight

AGAIN WE WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :thumbs-up: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »
I completely agree with you both. Real just proved tonight what a sad excuse of a team they have now become and just how strong the English League is compared to the Spanish League.
Just think Real are a top 2 team in their country  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: yet the 3rd best English team beat them 5-0  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Chris....this is why I did not want to comment on your post here...Liverpool are having a great week. First Real and then ManU...personally both teams are better than Liverpool, despite what the scorelines suggest.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
I completely agree with you both. Real just proved tonight what a sad excuse of a team they have now become and just how strong the English League is compared to the Spanish League.
Just think Real are a top 2 team in their country  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: yet the 3rd best English team beat them 5-0  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Chris....this is why I did not want to comment on your post here...Liverpool are having a great week. First Real and then ManU...personally both teams are better than Liverpool, despite what the scorelines suggest.

Its ok Falcon, we just defended worse than we have for a few years and gave them 4 goals. A repeat performance will never happen again at our club. Liverpool knew they had to win, United knew a draw would be ok and a defeat wouldn't be the end of the world and that showed yesterday. They better hope they don't draw us in the Champions League because revenge will be very sweet I can guarantee  :)) When we've retained all our titles we'll be having the last laugh at those damn scousers  :)>>>>

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2009, 08:19:15 AM »

Its ok Falcon, we just defended worse than we have for a few years and gave them 4 goals. A repeat performance will never happen again at our club. Liverpool knew they had to win, United knew a draw would be ok and a defeat wouldn't be the end of the world and that showed yesterday. They better hope they don't draw us in the Champions League because revenge will be very sweet I can guarantee  :)) When we've retained all our titles we'll be having the last laugh at those damn scousers  :)>>>>

Oh it should be that way Chris...I want ManU vs Liverpool...its going to be fantastic for us because we already know who's going to win...it was just a bit of poor defence from ManU as you say...Tevez wasn't at his best and Ronaldo's free kicks weren't the kind we are used to seeing from him. Things will be different in the UEFA and henceforth in the EPL...Sir Alex must have given the men a good coating  :rofl_2:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »
Falcon, who do you want for Barça? the draw is on thursday or friday?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:23:30 AM by conchita »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »

Oh it should be that way Chris...I want ManU vs Liverpool...its going to be fantastic for us because we already know who's going to win...it was just a bit of poor defence from ManU as you say...Tevez wasn't at his best and Ronaldo's free kicks weren't the kind we are used to seeing from him. Things will be different in the UEFA and henceforth in the EPL...Sir Alex must have given the men a good coating  :rofl_2:

Absolutely Falcon  :// we will get them next time we play there so there is no worries about that. We played terribly but that WILL NOT happen again and the English, European and World Champions will have the last laugh  ;-()

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »

Absolutely Falcon  :// we will get them next time we play there so there is no worries about that. We played terribly but that WILL NOT happen again and the English, European and World Champions will have the last laugh  ;-()
hehe yes...look I'm already laughing  :)

Offline Borovnia

• Tennis God
  • March 27th 1999 - August 9th 2008
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:17 AM »

draw is out friday 11:00 AM GMT. I hope we get any english team on quarters, for those who say spanish league blah blah. Barça is in an upper lever  :)~

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2009, 07:23:06 AM »

draw is out friday 11:00 AM GMT. I hope we get any english team on quarters, for those who say spanish league blah blah. Barça is in an upper lever  :)~

don¡t try to fool me, I know you want Villarreal, Bayern or Arsenal.  :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #255 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »

You dont want that Borovnia as United, Liverpool or Chelsea will knock you out  :)~

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #256 on: March 17, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

Bring on anyone...we are READY  :lifting) :Boxing: :Boxing: :Boxing:  (Except ManU...I'll be very sad if ManU or barca lose at this stage  ;-()...both teams are meant for a bigger stage for their meeting)....draw on Friday!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
Champions League quarter-final draw:

Villarreal v Arsenal

Manchester United v Porto

Liverpool v Chelsea

Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Great for Barca and ManU!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my enemies (read Liverpool or Chelsea) are gone  :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:34 PM »
And the Semi Final draw is:

Manchester United OR Porto VS Villarreal OR Arsenal

Liverpool OR Chelsea VS Barcelona OR Bayern Munich

This was just crazy when both the Quarter Final and Semi Final draw came out this way as all 6 of these matches were what I said to my friend and colleague at work as my perfect draw :cloud 9: This draw just couldn't have been anymore perfect for us!! United have such a fantastic opportunity to reach the Final again :yahoo: :grind dance: :winner: While 1 of Chelsea and Liverpool and 1 of Barca and Bayern will be out this next round!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »
And the Semi Final draw is:

Manchester United OR Porto VS Villarreal OR Arsenal

Liverpool OR Chelsea VS Barcelona OR Bayern Munich

This was just crazy when both the Quarter Final and Semi Final draw came out this way as all 6 of these matches were what I said to my friend and colleague at work as my perfect draw :cloud 9: This draw just couldn't have been anymore perfect for us!! United have such a fantastic opportunity to reach the Final again :yahoo: :grind dance: :winner: While 1 of Chelsea and Liverpool and 1 of Barca and Bayern will be out this next round!!
This indeed is perfect for us Chris....imagine...Liverpool or Chelsea will be out  :zipped:
And as for my Barca...I think we should just play our natural game and win without much trouble.  ;-()