Author Topic: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009  (Read 29865 times)

Offline Borovnia

• Tennis God
  • March 27th 1999 - August 9th 2008
Re: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009
« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Am I missing something here? Why are Sky Sports showing a stream of letters from angry Chelski fans about how cheated they are? All I saw was:
2 'handballs' that were blatantly ball to hand, and therefore not penalties.
Drogba go down when Toure clearly took the ball and dive against Abidal.
Malouda try and run through Pique and ask for a penalty when Pique didn't obligingly get out of the way.
Anelka dive 2 steps after barely brushing past Abidal when he was clean through on goal, to get Abidal sent off.

So, I think the referee made 1 big wrong decision and it went in favour of Chelski. But I have no doubt sid and Lugburz will tell me Chelski should;ve had 5 penalties, it's all a conspiracy, Anelka was tripped by Abidal and isn't diving cheating scum (yes, we have Ronaldo but you have Drogba, Ballack and Anelka) and that Terry, Ballack and especially Drogba were justified in their disgusting abuse of the referee at the end?

good analysis kicks  :thumbs-up:

Offline Borovnia

• Tennis God
« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
Now being serious, I think we were lucky tonight, but, regarding penalties, stealing etc, in the first half there is a hand by a chelsea defender just in the same vein of the ones they're complaining for, and, in the 1st leg there was a possible penalty to Henry, way more clear of the ones tonight, that none of us Barça suppoters were complaining by.

Said so, tonight we were outplayed, I mean, the team that was attempting to construct was very well blocked by great defenders. Chelsea could have sealed the match a few times, plus we were exhausted by the end of match, but in the end, Iniesta scored the first time we had a proper shot in the whole match!  :PHEW:)

Offline Borovnia

• Tennis God
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »
ah, and Drogba is a great comedian, falling down so easily.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36:54 PM »
WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:first-place: :first-place: :first-place: :first-place:

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »
Andres Iniesta's spectacular strike deep into stoppage time wrecked Chelsea's dreams of a second successive Champions League final against Manchester United amid chaotic scenes at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea looked to have kept Barcelona at bay and sealed an all-Premier League clash in Rome on a night of nerve-jangling tension after Michael Essien's 20-yard blockbuster in the ninth minute.

But with Guus Hiddink's side hanging on - and fuelled by a sense of injustice after referee Tom Ovrebo rejected a succession of penalty appeals - Iniesta beat Petr Cech from the edge of the area to send Barcelona into the final on away goals.

It was a heartbreaking moment for Chelsea and one that was too much to bear for Didier Drogba, on the sidelines after being substituted with an injury.

Hiddink unhappy with penalty decisions

There had already been angry scenes in the technical area after Barcelona's leveller, with Hiddink appearing to be buffeted on the touchline, but at the final whistle, Drogba marched on to the field to subject referee Ovrebo to a prolonged verbal tirade.

He rightly received a yellow card, but Drogba refused to be deterred by this punishment and continued to pursue the official while being held back.

It was an unpalatable conclusion to a dramatic encounter in which Chelsea had four appeals for penalties ignored, the strongest being a clear handball by Gerard Pique after the break.

Barcelona now face United in the final - but it was victory at a price with Dani Alves ruled out of the final after a booking and Eric Abidal also missing after he was unluckily sent off for tangling with Nicolas Anelka.

Chelsea, meanwhile, must now gather their forces for the end of the Premier League campaign and the FA Cup final against Everton.

They looked on their way to the final after a superb defensive display that restricted the visitors all night until Iniesta's deadly strike.

Barcelona's attempt to secure a crucial away goal suffered a blow before kick-off when Thierry Henry was ruled out with a knee injury - while Chelsea included both Drogba and Anelka in their line-up.

The Catalan giants posed the first threat when Xavi's effort took two deflections before Jose Bosingwa cleared from almost on the goal-line.

And Chelsea took advantage of that escape to make the breakthrough after only nine minutes.

Frank Lampard's pass was half-cleared, and even though there seemed little danger, Essien met the loose ball with a thunderous left-foot volley that left Valdes stranded as it ripped high past him and into the net off the bar.

Barcelona's response was predictably measured as they refused to stray from their trademark passing approach, but it failed to reap any rewards as Chelsea keeper Cech remained well protected by his defenders.

Indeed, it was Chelsea who had the better chances despite having less of the possession, with Valdes just beating Drogba to Lampard's long ball before diverting away the striker's angled free-kick with his knees.

Chelsea made the first of a series of penalty appeals when Malouda appeared to be hauled down by Alves inside the box, only for the referee to signal a free-kick just outside the area.

Drogba was the next to appeal when he was tugged back by Abidal, but Ovrebo ignored his claims - much to the obvious disgust of Chelsea's high-maintenance striker.

The home side, predictably, came under pressure in the opening exchanges after the break, but they broke away to great effect, only to see Drogba waste a perfect chance to double their lead.

Anelka set him up 12 yards out, but after cutting inside Pique, Drogba shot against the legs of Valdes, with Malouda striking the rebound into the side-netting.

Drogba was again left appealing in vain for a penalty after colliding with Yaya Toure, but Barcelona's giant midfield man looked to have just got a touch on the ball.

Referee Ovrebo was on the receiving end of Barcelona's anger after 65 minutes when he sent off defender Abidal after what only appeared to be an unwitting tangle of legs with Anelka.

And Ovrebo was in action again 10 minutes from time when Pique handled under pressure from Anelka, but once again the referee was in no mood to point to the spot.

Guardiola pays respects to Hiddink

As the game entered the final minutes of stoppage time, the one moment of magic Chelsea feared from this gifted Barcelona side arrived to steal their dreams of a second successive final away from them at the last gasp.

Essien sliced his clearance and the ball came to Iniesta, who sent a rising 20-yard drive past Cech into the top corner to spark chaotic scenes on the touchline.

More drama was to follow when Chelsea's players appealed one last time for a penalty when Michael Ballack's volley appeared to strike Samuel Eto'o's arm - and the German midfielder chased the referee back up the pitch to express his fury when the spot-kick never came.

And when the final whistle blew, Drogba marched on to direct his tirade at referee Ovrebo - it was an act that only increased the sense of anger and injustice on the air on a night of bitter disappointment for Chelsea.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2009, 11:45:59 PM »
I don't know what the fuss is all about....refreeing was bad, i agree and we were a bit lucky but these points should be kept in mind first...

1) When you play the ball around, you get more chances...Chelsea players are bigger than Barca players yet they keep the ball for a measly 33% of the time??? They waited for Barca to make the mistake...they did once and Essien scored...it wasn't going to happen time and again...

2) Drogba  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: this guy makes me laugh in every match...I'll talk about him later but just that he had 3 bloody chances that he could have grabbed with both hands....he could have sealed it for Chelsea...he failed...

3) barca knew they had to be on teh offensive and they did just that...sorry Chelsea fans but over the two legs, it was Barca that kind of dominated.

Now about Drogba... ..-)

He slapped manU player last time in the finals....ok he was nuts then...now? He apparently fakes injury to stop Barca's momentum. Anelka is a fantastic striker of teh ball and Chelsea pay millions to keep this Buffoon in their side and this is how he behaves? He went like a mad dog after the refree!! He shouts at the camera...nice role model...he ought to be spanked.

Lastly about refreeing...bad no doubt...Abidal was sent when he shouldn't have, Chelsea deserved a penalty for sure...but more than anything, I'd blame Chelsea for spoiling their chances....all in all, a very very strange match...

Now on to the finals.....

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »
Some pics...

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2009, 12:00:08 AM »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2009, 12:07:08 AM »
DROGBA   :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
Well to start with I must congratulate Barcelona and Borovnia and Falcon on joining us in the Champions League Final :) but my sympathies are with Luggy and Sid too(if he were here) as after last year I know how badly you wanted it this year :( Well Barca showed real fight last night, and that they're not just a fluent attacking team, they can also dig in when things are against them and come through. They did that very well last night, great time to grab the critical goal. Chelsea really ought to have killed tem off with their chances though, and even I must admit Chelsea should have had atleast 2 penalties last night- for me there's simply no argument over that and I'm amazed they didn't get atleast 1. Even more of a surprise was Barca only having the 92nd minute goal on target all night. Thats not so impressive and they'll have to come with more than that for the final, but main thing for them is they got the job done. The antics of the Chelsea players were a disgrace at the end, when Chelsea were heading out I knew there was going to be trouble with them, and players like Ballack and especially Drogba should face serious inproper conduct charges etc.

Now to the Final. Well for the neutral it is the perfect final- the 2 best footballing teams around, the 2 teams with so much flare and attacking talent. I must admit although I'm going to be so nervous and more so as the day nears, with the actual day seeing me an emotional wreck again, I'm very content with this final. For me Barca will give us chances going forward and even more so now with both fullbacks suspended, and lookking likely both Milito and Marques will be out of  the game. I tell you to me its a mouth watering prospect seeing Ronaldo in particular, along with the likes of Rooney and Park running at that Barca defense- boy we could cause severe problems there. Obviously Barca are 'usually' incredible strong going forward, but I believe in Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick etc we have much more to counter that, and it'll be a harder job for Eto, Messi and Henry to get at us. Intriguing game though and I just can't wait to look to defend our title in Rome :shakey: :cloud 9:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:01 AM »
Thank You Chris...I'm always a United and a Barca fan as you know Chris...its going to be very very intriguing for sure...can't wait for Henri to get back....

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:45 AM »
I'm not going to ask you who you'll be siding with in the Final Falcon because I know you'll leave me disappointed  :rofl_2: Its ok though- we will leave Barca disappointed on May 27th  :)~

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:12 AM »
I'm not going to ask you who you'll be siding with in the Final Falcon because I know you'll leave me disappointed  :rofl_2: Its ok though- we will leave Barca disappointed on May 27th  :)~
Yeah  :rofl_2: But personally for me it was more about beating Chelsea....I was biting my nails all night, I might not need the nail clipper for a year now  :rofl_2: If ManU wins the finals, it will just be a testimony to their greatness...i think they've already done so much so they don't have to prove themselves to anyone....as for Barca, i hope they do win and put up a great performance along with manU  ://

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2009, 01:50:46 AM »
Yeah  :rofl_2: But personally for me it was more about beating Chelsea....I was biting my nails all night, I might not need the nail clipper for a year now  :rofl_2: If ManU wins the finals, it will just be a testimony to their greatness...i think they've already done so much so they don't have to prove themselves to anyone....as for Barca, i hope they do win and put up a great performance along with manU  ://

Yeah its a very nice Final for you for sure  :)) I know exactly what you mean about the nails  :rofl_2: United are 1 of the biggest reasons why I too never have any nails  :rofl_2: thats what we go through for our teams. It really should be a great match, and I just hope more than anything right now we prove ourselves once for in Europe thisseason and retain our trophy and make history as the first team ever to retain the Champions League :cloud 9: OMG I'm just soooo excited and nervous already- I'm going to be a wreck again I can see it. Last year I hardly eat 3 days before the final, I could hardly breathe during the match, when I was sleeping it was always the match going through my head, and then experienced both sad and then happy tears during the match. I don't know if I can go through all that again  :scared: I say lets have a nice 3-0 United :shakey: :winner:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2009, 02:47:37 AM »

Yeah its a very nice Final for you for sure  :)) I know exactly what you mean about the nails  :rofl_2: United are 1 of the biggest reasons why I too never have any nails  :rofl_2: thats what we go through for our teams. It really should be a great match, and I just hope more than anything right now we prove ourselves once for in Europe thisseason and retain our trophy and make history as the first team ever to retain the Champions League :cloud 9: OMG I'm just soooo excited and nervous already- I'm going to be a wreck again I can see it. Last year I hardly eat 3 days before the final, I could hardly breathe during the match, when I was sleeping it was always the match going through my head, and then experienced both sad and then happy tears during the match. I don't know if I can go through all that again  :scared: I say lets have a nice 3-0 United :shakey: :winner:
Yeah we do love our teams and our players Chris...last year was just amazing...we already had this talk...it was damn funny actually....the fantastic goal that Ronaldo shot, the one he missed and in the end he lifted that trophy and then Drogba slapping tevez, then the penalty shootout with ManU nailing it...it was so beautiful...all against chelsea made it even more special for me (lol I'm going to get kicked by Chelsea fans  :rofl_2:) and then last night was again so special....why do these players keep us tensed until the final minutes of the match?   :)) iniesta could have saved my nails by slotting that goal a little early....I love sports  :))

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
  • GLADIATOR: THE KING OF CLAY
« Reply #356 on: May 07, 2009, 02:50:26 AM »
Dreamed final, the best 2 teams in Europe...I only hope that ManU plays more offensive than last years vs Barça, then we will see a top quality match. By the way Iniesta doesnt score very often but wow, last night's was amazing. The best spanish player this year
"In the last game, I didn't see nothing. The true, I wasn't see nothing, no?" Nadal about the 2008 Wimbledon final

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
Am I missing something here? Why are Sky Sports showing a stream of letters from angry Chelski fans about how cheated they are? All I saw was:
Malouda try and run through Pique and ask for a penalty when Pique didn't obligingly get out of the way.
Anelka dive 2 steps after barely brushing past Abidal when he was clean through on goal, to get Abidal sent off.

So, I think the referee made 1 big wrong decision and it went in favour of Chelski. But I have no doubt sid and Lugburz will tell me Chelski should;ve had 5 penalties, it's all a conspiracy, Anelka was tripped by Abidal and isn't diving cheating scum (yes, we have Ronaldo but you have Drogba, Ballack and Anelka) and that Terry, Ballack and especially Drogba were justified in their disgusting abuse of the referee at the end?

wow KS I thought you know me...
And all of you Chelsea haters,I even didn't expect that you'll find some kind words...But let me say this,Barca as a team are just good entertainment for the TV and nothing more...no real football there,and have been driven by Chelsea yesterday.
I don't wanna be angry on the refs,and barca players...and just for the kickserve I am angry with the players who should have scored at least 5 goals...

Bottom line,my heart is totally broken,not because the refs, but the fact that we had Barca on their knees and could do even more.........
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »

wow KS I thought you know me...
And all of you Chelsea haters,I even didn't expect that you'll find some kind words...But let me say this,Barca as a team are just good entertainment for the TV and nothing more...no real football there,and have been driven by Chelsea yesterday.
I don't wanna be angry on the refs,and barca players...and just for the kickserve I am angry with the players who should have scored at least 5 goals...

Bottom line,my heart is totally broken,not because the refs, but the fact that we had Barca on their knees and could do even more.........

Sorry Lugz, I underestimated you.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »
Yeah I can back Luggy up 110%, he's one of the most sporting and honest guys you'll ever come across  :) the sort of great guy you could neve have a full argument with or put down as a bad loser or somebody that will make excuses up. Thats why I felt so bad for Luggy last night, as after last year I know how desperate he was to play United again and beat us, so to go out that way, with that many Chelsea chances and then the incredible penalty decisions , must be an absolute killer :(

Luggy is 20 times more sporting than me and I'm not afraid to admit that when I'm talking about such an honest and good guy.