Author Topic: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009  (Read 32743 times)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009
« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »
This is it guys...it all comes down to this finals...

GO BARCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #381 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
Well we're at the day then!! Thank you so much for that because this is just unbearable, how I'm going to get through today until kickoff time feeling this nervous I don't know  :scared: I'm not ready and nervous for this one I could only get a couple of hours sleep as thats what I was thinking about! I hope and prey this won't go to penalties again, as I can't go through that drama again. So come on United!! We are the Champions of England, Europe and the World and this is our trophy to retain :cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: :cloud 9: :cheer: We gotta get at their weaker defence and look to get at them that way, while we stay extremely strong at the back. If we can keep their stars quiet with excellent defending, we'll be winning this trophy :cloud 9: :winner: Please please United lets win in Rome, win Champions League number 4 and confirm ourselves as 1 of the best teams and squads ever with an historic back to back double!!

GO GO GO UNITED!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #382 on: May 27, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »
Sir Alex: This is our time

There are moments Sir Alex Ferguson rues in past European expeditions; missed opportunities that fuel his burning desire to maintain a relentless pursuit to put United where he says the club belongs: among the continent’s elite.

Reigning European champions, the Reds are the dominant force despite Barcelona's protestations, but Sir Alex wants more trophies to prove it. He joked in Rome that his team-talk will come to him during a restless night's sleep. You can bet it’ll be a spine-tingler.

Just as equalling Liverpool's 18 league titles was never even considered ‘job done’, neither would becoming the first team to retain the Champions League. Sir Alex has bigger plans, but winning on Wednesday would be a good start, or rather a continuation.

“There’s an opportunity for us to put ourselves alongside Europe’s great teams. This is a squad with a great future, a young team withh experience to do well in the next few years. On Wednesday we can endorse that.

“To be considered a great team, you have to win the European Cup again. But there have been unlucky teams down the years. You have to win this cup, it's a prerequisite. Teams like ourselves and Barcelona have to win this trophy to be considered in that regard. But not everyone can win it.

“Nobody has retained the trophy,” he adds. “But we're good at firsts. We have a opportunity to repeat that. It’s interesting – unusual – that nobody has retained the trophy since the Champions League started. It was done regularly in the sixties and seventies. There were cycles of great teams, like Ajax, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. We have an opportunity to change that; I hope we take it.”

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #383 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:54 AM »
Ronny set on team glory

The notion goes that whomever comes out on top - Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi - then the World's best player tag is automatically theirs.

Cristiano is on the throne currently, but he says retaining his crown will not be his motivation in front of a packed Stadio Olimpico crowd on Wednesday. Believe it or not, his aim is shared glory.

“Whoever wins the final will have a better chance [of winning the award]," Ronny said. "But I don’t care about that, what I want is to win the Champions League – that’s it. Some players in my team have played fantastic football this season - they deserve it.”

Ronaldo is aware that the TV cameras and photographers' lenses will focus on him all night, but it's a pressure he's learned to live with. “It’s normal for people to talk about me," he says. "I’m 100 per cent focused on the game. I try to help my team, I will try to score and win the game.

"It's a great stadium. I feel very good to play here. I’ve played here a few times and, in my opinion, I played well. I have to play well now. The pitch, the stadium, the fans… they’re amazing; I look forward to playing here and winning. It’s going to be special.”

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »
Rio 'feeling good' for final
United skipper trains with team-mates ahead of Barca clash

Manchester United captain Rio Ferdinand has confirmed he has been training with his team-mates ahead of the UEFA Champions League final.

Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils meet Primera Division champions Barcelona in Rome on Wednesday night as they look to defend their European crown.

England international Ferdinand has not featured for his Premier League-winning side since their 3-1 win at Arsenal on 5th May because of a calf injury.

However, centre-back Ferdinand now appears in the running to start alongside Nemanja Vidic after confirming his condition is much improved ahead of the crunch clash.

He said at a press conference televised live on Sky Sports News: "My injury is fine.

"I have been training the last couple of days with the team. I feel good.

"The manager knows I wouldn't put myself into a position to be in the game if I wasn't 100 per cent fit.

"We have got a talented squad and if my fitness was ever going to be detrimental to the team and the result then I wouldn't play.

"I have been working hard with the phyios at the club, training hard and working on the injury. I don't see any problems."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2009, 01:11:56 AM »
Fergie on brink of greatness
United boss aiming to join European elite

Sir Alex Ferguson believes European glory for Manchester United on Wednesday will bring them alongside the all-time greats.

The Red Devils are set to face Catalan giants Barcelona in Rome's Stadio Olimpico as they look to defend the European crown they claimed in dramatic circumstances 12 months ago.

Should they prove successful in their endeavours, they will become the first team to claim consecutive victories in the competition under its current format.

That is proving to be some incentive for a side that prides itself on being the best, although Ferguson is well aware of the challenge posed by Pep Guardiola's Primera Liga champions.

"There have been times when we should have done better in Europe and this is an opportunity for us to get that victory which would put us alongside the great teams of Europe," said Ferguson.

"I think this particular team has that kind of future. Hopefully tomorrow we can endorse that.

"I think it will be a game when both teams have the ball they won't want to give it away.

"We know both teams can keep it well and what we can do with the ball will decide the game. What we can create and how long we can keep it will crucial.

"We will have to play well to win, that goes without saying. Certain things will be important like concentration and luck. That can decide a game."

Ferguson is confident his side can re-write the history books, insisting United pose a goal threat equal to that of their attack-minded opponents.

Respect
"I think that from a team perspective there is always an opportunity for us to score because we always carry a threat," he added.

"So hopefully we can continue that way of playing. Of course, like every game, you have to analyse your opponents and their strengths and weaknesses.

"(Lionel) Messi is a great player and a fantastic footballer. We played against him twice last season, so we know how strong he can be.

"I think we have the players to cope with him. You have to respect great players and we will do that."

While on the subject of Barca's Argentine superstar Messi, inevitable comparisons have been drawn with United's own wing wizard Cristiano Ronaldo.

The latter is currently regarded as the best player on the planet by Fifa, but Ferguson believes it is difficult to choose between two players with incredible talent.

"They're two fantastic footballers," he said.

"They both have the courage to attack defenders all the time, regardless of how many times they are tackled or fouled. They run the ball and that is the kind of courage we want to see in footballers.

"They have different kinds of qualities. They are physically different players, but at the end of the day how can you divide them? It's very difficult."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2009, 01:14:03 AM »
Evra on Euro glory hunt
United defender hoping to topple Messi and co

Patrice Evra expects a tough game against Barcelona on Wednesday, but is determined to come out on top.

The Manchester United full-back is set to go toe-to-toe with the Catalan giants in the final of the UEFA Champions League.

The Red Devils are looking to become the first club to successfully defend the title in its current format, having overcome Chelsea in a penalty shoot-out 12 months ago.

Evra admits he is desperate to get his hands on another winners' medal, but accepts that Barca superstar Lionel Messi is set to offer a stern test of his defensive capabilities.

"I remember in my first interview after I arrived in Manchester, I said: 'I didn't come here to play in the Champions League, I have come to win it'," Evra told L'Equipe.

"At the moment I have one, but I want a second one and then a third one. That is my objective.

"Of course I will endure a difficult night against Messi. I know that. I have a lot of respect for him but I am confident I can handle him.

Proud
"I know that I could make 20 challenges and then lose just one and he could score. People would then say that I have failed.

"It is up to me to ensure that the story has a positive ending. (Sir Alex) Ferguson has said: 'Messi? Pat will take care of him'. I hope I don't disappoint him.

"I feel strong though. People can call me arrogant, but why should I lie? Of course I feel strong and of course I am proud as well. I am at the top of the pyramid, but I am not stupid and I realise that one small step could see me fall down very quickly."

Evra has also revealed that United's quest to defend their European crown began the moment they left the field after their epic tussle with Chelsea last season.

Hungry
"After the win in Moscow last year, on our way back, the coach stood up and said: 'Gentlemen, I want to thank you, but next year I will look into everyone's eyes and I will see if you are still hungry. The ones that are not hungry anymore will be out of the team'.

"That is what it is like here - you win and you have to forget about it, you win again and you have to forget about it again.

"In a way it is a shame that we don't get to celebrate the titles, but that is what a winning culture is all about."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:24 AM »
Messi would pay to see Ron
Barca ace says Red Devils winger is one to watch

Lionel Messi has revealed he would pay to watch Cristiano Ronaldo while also reaffirming his wish to play for Barcelona for the rest of his career.

Messi goes head-to-head with the Manchester United ace in Wednesday's highly-anticipated UEFA Champions League final in Rome.

The Argentinian wizard has acknowledged Sir Alex Ferguson's troops have quality all over the pitch, although he believes Ronaldo is something else.

While Messi thinks it is imperative to shut down Ronaldo in Rome, he knows it will also be prudent to keep an eye on the likes of Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Carlos Tevez.

Quality
"Manchester United have quality everywhere," Messi told the Daily Mail.

"So many good players. But if I had to pick one out it would be Ronaldo.

"He is a player I would pay to watch.

"He and I are very different players but he is unbelievable, very special, and it will not be easy to stop him.

"But we must not pay all attention to him and forget about Berbatov, Rooney and Carlos Tevez.

"Manchester United have players all over the pitch who can punish you in the same way we have."

Loyal
Messi has again reaffirmed his loyalty to the Catalan giants stating he wants to remain with the club for the rest of his career.

The 21-year-old has been linked with an audacious move to arch-rivals Real Madrid, but he has not given a second though to leaving Camp Nou.

"I have said so many times that I am so happy at Barcelona, and I have no desire to ever leave," he continued.

"I owe them so much. I want to repay them for the rest of my career. I am loyal to Barcelona.

"The doctors at home in Argentina told my parents I would never grow past 4ft 5in.

"The medical bills were very high. My father took on other jobs but even then it was not enough for the other bills.

"Nobody else was prepared to take a chance on me apart from Barcelona and if it was not for them I would not even be a professional football player."

Fitness tests
Meanwhile, the Barca playmaker is hoping the likes of Andres Iniesta and Thierry Henry can be fit for the Roma spectacle.

"Iniesta has had a spectacular season and it's the same with Henry, who has scored a lot of goals. It will be a lot easier if they are there," he told Sport.

"I hope that both can be in the final, they are very important and deserve to play in a game like this. It would be very good."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:24 AM »
Iniesta - We fear Rooney
Barca ace says Red Devils striker could be the key

Barcelona playmaker Andres Iniesta says Wayne Rooney epitomises Manchester United's sublime work ethic.

Although Rooney may not have scored the number of goals Barca's forward line have plundered this season, Iniesta believes he plays a key role.

Iniesta, who scored Barca's priceless leveller in their 1-1 draw at Chelsea, says Rooney's versatility and commitment makes him an invaluable member of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad.

The 25-year-old knows the UEFA Champions League final between the sides in Rome on Wednesday will be a tight affair and that keeping mistakes down to a minimum could be the key to success.

Work ethic
"What I value most about the way they play is how hard players like Rooney work," explained Iniesta.

"He was filling in at left-back against us last year in the semi-final.

"Finals are not usually very tactical. We can plan a million things before the game but in the second minute they can strike and all the plans go out the window.

"We cannot commit any mistakes because they have so much firepower up front."

Unstoppable
Meanwhile, former Red Devils defender Gerard Pique believes that on his day Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is unstoppable.

The former Red Devils stopper knows the England international well from his time at Old Trafford before his Camp Nou switch last summer.

"When he is focused he is simply unstoppable," explained Pique.

"I have never seen a player as powerful as Rooney - the way he goes past people, the intensity of his play, the runs he makes from the first minute to last and the shot that he has. World class.

"Perhaps he does not get the credit he deserves because he should score more goals, but he offers so much."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:13 AM »
Barca 'confident' on key duo
Guardiola sure Henry and Iniesta will be fit for United clash

Barcelona head coach Pep Guardiola is 'confident' Thierry Henry and Andres Iniesta will both be fit for the UEFA Champions League final.

French striker Henry has been struggling with a knee injury while Spanish midfielder Iniesta has been aiming to shake off a thigh complaint.

The duo recently returned to light training and now look set to be fit for Barca's clash with Manchester United in Rome on Wednesday.

"Today is the last training session and we will see how their condition is," Guardiola told a news conference.

"I think they will be there tomorrow. I am confident.

"If they play they are okay. If they are not okay they are not going to play."

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
you've done work Chris...good to see Messi's views too...I'm sure he won't be moving (You should have seen my desperation when there were talks about Chelsea trying for him  :scared: )

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »
you've done work Chris...good to see Messi's views too...I'm sure he won't be moving (You should have seen my desperation when there were talks about Chelsea trying for him  :scared: )

I'm trying to keep my mind occupied Falcon  :)) I'm not going to be a particularly great person to be around today  :zipped: I can imagine how desperate and worried you were when you feared Messi possibly going to Chelsea. I think he'll be staying in Barca for a long time yet :)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »

I'm trying to keep my mind occupied Falcon  :)) I'm not going to be a particularly great person to be around today  :zipped: I can imagine how desperate and worried you were when you feared Messi possibly going to Chelsea. I think he'll be staying in Barca for a long time yet :)
Ahh Chris you are always sweet...so I have no worries there  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2009, 01:39:18 AM »

Ahh Chris you are always sweet...so I have no worries there  :)

Thanks Falcon as you always are too  :) This is how we are until 7:45pm BST  :friends: For the 2-3 hours after that its not appropriate to put how we might be  :rofl_2: You know my bestest friend in the world is a massive Liverpool fan, but I think I even got her on side for tonight  :rofl_2: she knows what it means to me and how much I love Man United so maybe she's also just worried for me if we lose  :lmao:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »
Sh!£ Ronaldo a slight doubt for tonight  :(  :blue: as went over on his ankle last evening in training. Should be ok from all accounts but this is an extra worry that we and I could do without  :(  :blue:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #395 on: May 27, 2009, 04:52:04 AM »
Well we're at the day then!! Thank you so much for that because this is just unbearable, how I'm going to get through today until kickoff time feeling this nervous I don't know  :scared: I'm not ready and nervous for this one I could only get a couple of hours sleep as thats what I was thinking about! I hope and prey this won't go to penalties again, as I can't go through that drama again. So come on United!! We are the Champions of England, Europe and the World and this is our trophy to retain :cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: :cloud 9: :cheer: We gotta get at their weaker defence and look to get at them that way, while we stay extremely strong at the back. If we can keep their stars quiet with excellent defending, we'll be winning this trophy :cloud 9: :winner: Please please United lets win in Rome, win Champions League number 4 and confirm ourselves as 1 of the best teams and squads ever with an historic back to back double!!

Chris, do you ever really consider you may take sport a little too seriously?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #396 on: May 27, 2009, 05:38:29 AM »

Chris, do you ever really consider you may take sport a little too seriously?

I know I do but thats what makes it even better and more special when things go right. I just love my sport and my teams and players and yes it does completely stress me out and I think an awful lot of them but I love it and wouldnt want it any other way  :)

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
  • GLADIATOR: THE KING OF CLAY
« Reply #397 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:08 AM »
I know a lot of Barça fans who say that they havent sleep well this night, they have skipped work, they dont know what do do today until the final, etc etc, I guess it's normal :))
"In the last game, I didn't see nothing. The true, I wasn't see nothing, no?" Nadal about the 2008 Wimbledon final

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #398 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
Barca are one up,after Chelsea i dont want them 2 win.Not sure i want Man u winning 2 years on the trot.Reff send all 22 players off please if it gets 1-1 :rofl_2:

Offline britbox

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #399 on: May 27, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
Congratulations to BARCELONA!

Vintage performance... Almost like men against boys.

:king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king:

All due respect to the Kings of Europe. Well deserved.

Only surprising thing is it wasn't 4 or 5.  I don't think I've ever seen such a lopsided final.