Author Topic: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009  (Read 32611 times)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Re: UEFA Champions League 2008/2009
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »
Yes they won which is all that matters but even their biggest fans today are admitting how lucky and fortunate they were to get through this one.

You would believe something a Scouser thinks? There are chimps with more intelligence than Liverpool's biggest fans  :whistle:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 06:45:16 AM »
Yes they won which is all that matters but even their biggest fans today are admitting how lucky and fortunate they were to get through this one.

You would believe something a Scouser thinks? There are chimps with more intelligence than Liverpool's biggest fans  :whistle:

When they are talking bad about their own team then that is the one occasion you can actually believe them  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
Football is about who scores more goals, not who creates more chances, or when they score them.
I agree about that, but I am quite surprised you made this statement, I think you are one of the football fans that at the end of the match thinks it's more miportant how the teams play than the final score. 
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »
Football is about who scores more goals, not who creates more chances, or when they score them.
I agree about that, but I am quite surprised you made this statement, I think you are one of the football fans that at the end of the match thinks it's more miportant how the teams play than the final score. 

Like anybody, I prefer to watch attacking, entertaining football, but I'd much rather my team win 1-0 than lose 4-3. I guess I'm lucky that the 2 teams I support: Man Utd and Carlisle United, play attacking football and win  :cool:

I guess I like to watch a team like Arsenal playing attractive football, but when Arsene Wenger says after a defeat 'We should've won, we were the better team' I tend to think he's talking bullsh!t unless he's had good goals disallowed or something else really unlucky. (Unlucky does not include missing penalties or clear-cut chances, that's your own fault for having useless strikers).

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »

Like anybody, I prefer to watch attacking, entertaining football, but I'd much rather my team win 1-0 than lose 4-3. I guess I'm lucky that the 2 teams I support: Man Utd and Carlisle United, play attacking football and win  :cool:

I guess I like to watch a team like Arsenal playing attractive football, but when Arsene Wenger says after a defeat 'We should've won, we were the better team' I tend to think he's talking bullsh!t unless he's had good goals disallowed or something else really unlucky. (Unlucky does not include missing penalties or clear-cut chances, that's your own fault for having useless strikers).
I agree in everything you say!
you are lucky then if your clubs are Man Ud and Carrlisle!  :)
you made a wonderful point with "luck" in sports. I also dont belive there is luck in sports, it's a cheap excuse for teams that should have won and lost or teams that should have lose and win the match. as you said missing a penalty is an error, nothing related to luck.
Wenger is that kind of coach who does not accept defeat, he is quite an embarrasment with his comments for Gunners fans.
the important thing that I wanted to say is: you know I am stats fanatic, but the final score is not the most important thing in order to say who was the better team, there are thousands of examples of countries and clubs in football history that played better than the opposite team and sadly lost against weaker-worst countries/clubs.

about the CL draw, let's hope we have a group of death, group stage is normally very boring.
the dangerous teams in pot 3 and 4 are: Atletico Madrid, Forentina, Zenit St. Petersbug (holders of UEFA Cup)
and then probably the French clubs (Marseille and Girondins), Celtic, the always dangerous away matches at Panathinaikos and Fenerbahce and the clubs from Ukraine in winter: Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:54:24 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
the important thing that I wanted to say is: you know I am stats fanatic, but the final score is not the most important thing to say who was the better team, there are thousands of examples of countries and clubs that played better than the opposite team and sadly lost against weaker-worst countries/clubs.

I think that's where I disagree with you, as it's not about who dominates possession or has all the chances, it's about who scores the goals. As for Standard Liege last night and the previous game: they may have dominated for most of the tie, but they couldn't score the goal that mattered, they switched off at the end and that cost them, they deserved to lose. There are some factors which can cause the better team to lose: referees, injuries, cheating, but in 90% of games, the right result happens. If a team wins because their keeper made 10 awesome saves and the opposing keeper lets one in through his legs, then team that won still deserved their victory, as the keepers are as much parts of the team as the outfield players.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
the important thing that I wanted to say is: you know I am stats fanatic, but the final score is not the most important thing to say who was the better team, there are thousands of examples of countries and clubs that played better than the opposite team and sadly lost against weaker-worst countries/clubs.

I think that's where I disagree with you, as it's not about who dominates possession or has all the chances, it's about who scores the goals. As for Standard Liege last night and the previous game: they may have dominated for most of the tie, but they couldn't score the goal that mattered, they switched off at the end and that cost them, they deserved to lose. There are some factors which can cause the better team to lose: referees, injuries, cheating, but in 90% of games, the right result happens. If a team wins because their keeper made 10 awesome saves and the opposing keeper lets one in through his legs, then team that won still deserved their victory, as the keepers are as much parts of the team as the outfield players.
that first sentence it's obvious, you won matches scoring goals. I can not disagree with you.
I was not talking about Liverpool-Liege, I was talking about some very important football competitions that football experts say the best team sadly did not win the cup or title, some of the factors are the one you mentioned: referees, injuries, cheating. for me this is sad that the best country could not win the cup or title and it's also sad for the sport.

"bad boy" KS, ....keeper let's one in through his legs...thank you! I still remember Arconada unforgettable mistake in the Euro 84 final!  ;-()

just one more thing, Is young Walcott the most talented British player since Giggs? or I am biased as a Gunner fan!   

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »

that first sentence it's obvious, you won matches scoring goals. I can not disagree with you.
I was not talking about Liverpool-Liege, I was talking about some very important football competitions that football experts say the best team sadly did not win the cup or title, some of the factors are the one you mentioned: referees, injuries, cheating. for me this is sad that the best country could not win the cup or title and it's also sad for the sport.

"bad boy" KS, ....keeper let's one in through his legs...thank you! I still remember Arconada unforgettable mistake in the Euro 84 final!  ;-()

just one more thing, Is young Walcott the most talented British player since Giggs? or I am biased as a Gunner fan!   

Just so you know that wasn't deliberate: I've never heard of Arconada as 1984 was 6 years before I was born  :whistle:

Walcott most talented since Giggs? I've not seen a whole lot of him, he may be the most taleted now, but since Giggs there's been Rooney, Owen, Wright-Philips, Bentley, Gerrard and others. From what I've seen of Walcott, he's good, but I can't see him becoming an all-time great.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »
UEFA Champions League Draw now on,keep an eye out for your team.4 pots in all with pot one comming out first.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »
Decent draw im looking for here for United

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »
UEFA Champions League Draw now on,keep an eye out for your team.4 pots in all with pot one comming out first.

Live stream anywhere?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »

Just so you know that wasn't deliberate: I've never heard of Arconada as 1984 was 6 years before I was born  :whistle:

Walcott most talented since Giggs? I've not seen a whole lot of him, he may be the most taleted now, but since Giggs there's been Rooney, Owen, Wright-Philips, Bentley, Gerrard and others. From what I've seen of Walcott, he's good, but I can't see him becoming an all-time great.
I was joking about Arconada, that's why I said "bad boy".
Arconada's mistake is one of the biggest by a goalkeeper in an international country club competition final. Platini made the free kick and well the rest is history....Platini invited him to this year Euro final.

Walcott, well...Owen for sure better, his goal against Argentina in WC 98 is one of the best in WC history...Gerrard also is great...IMHO perhaps should be captain of England. Rooney, I think he is overrated. Wright-Philips and Bentley not better.
the problem for Walcott is that sadly he is the kind of player that Capello dislike. 

Later I am going to mention teams that sadly deserved to win but they didnt...they were the best teams but they didnt win the cup in very important competitions.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »
Draw not yet started. Got it on Skysports News at work ready for it  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »

Live stream anywhere?

Skysports news is showing,will this help KS

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »

Live stream anywhere?

Yes, got it on now! Thanks sid! :cool:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »

Live stream anywhere?

Yes, got it on now! Thanks sid! :cool:

Great stuff KS,draw after adds

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 11:04:17 AM »
Id say we are due for yet another meeting with Roma  :whistle:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
why? it's better and most interesting to play the best teams.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
Sir Alex and Ronaldo sitting next to one another here  :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:35 AM »
why? it's better and most interesting to play the best teams.

We have just had quite a lot of matches against Roma the last few years so it will probably happen again  :))