Author Topic: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon  (Read 32738 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »
People have been hyping Del Potro for a while now and looks like he's had some chances to finally show what he's made of. I saw his match against Haas yesterday and liked what I saw. Nothing too impressive but a solid game overall. A sligthly better serve and some touch at the net and he'd be "complete" but he needs weapons to compete at the top.

So question. Does this streak and wins over Roddick and Haas make Del Potro a top 5 contender for the USOpen along with Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray? Or is he just a dark horse pick along with Gasquet, Blake, Berdych and such?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »
People have been hyping Del Potro for a while now and looks like he's had some chances to finally show what he's made of. I saw his match against Haas yesterday and liked what I saw. Nothing too impressive but a solid game overall. A sligthly better serve and some touch at the net and he'd be "complete" but he needs weapons to compete at the top.

So question. Does this streak and wins over Roddick and Haas make Del Potro a top 5 contender for the USOpen along with Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray? Or is he just a dark horse pick along with Gasquet, Blake, Berdych and such?

I really haven't seen him play so I wonder too...

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »

Some of the commentators, If I am not wrong, did say something to this effect. If I am not wrong, if Del Potro even wins 2 or 3 matches in this next tournament, he'll win the USOpen series points thing which is currently led by Nadal and Murray with 145 each and closely followed by Novak and then Del Potro.

I didn't answer my own question so I'll do that now. I personally cannot see Del Potro as a top 5 contender. I think he's a solid shot for the second week perhaps but I don't see him as a serious contender. There's a lot of people like Blake and Gasquet who have weapons and if they can put together a few good matches are a serious threat. Del Potro is solid and consistent and is good but not good enough as of yet to challenge any of the big games. He is I think best suited to pull of some more upsets like those against Roddick and Haas. Perhaps he can take out people like Ferrer, Davydenko but I don't think he can do this over and over again against the top players who are either in form or have better weapons.
Another thing to consider is that this guy has played I think every week and will play even next week I think where he'll be the favourite to win. Winning (possibly) 5 tournaments right before the USO is a little too much for the body for someone who's just 19 isn't it?

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

Some of the commentators, If I am not wrong, did say something to this effect. If I am not wrong, if Del Potro even wins 2 or 3 matches in this next tournament, he'll win the USOpen series points thing which is currently led by Nadal and Murray with 145 each and closely followed by Novak and then Del Potro.

I didn't answer my own question so I'll do that now. I personally cannot see Del Potro as a top 5 contender. I think he's a solid shot for the second week perhaps but I don't see him as a serious contender. There's a lot of people like Blake and Gasquet who have weapons and if they can put together a few good matches are a serious threat. Del Potro is solid and consistent and is good but not good enough as of yet to challenge any of the big games. He is I think best suited to pull of some more upsets like those against Roddick and Haas. Perhaps he can take out people like Ferrer, Davydenko but I don't think he can do this over and over again against the top players who are either in form or have better weapons.
Another thing to consider is that this guy has played I think every week and will play even next week I think where he'll be the favourite to win. Winning (possibly) 5 tournaments right before the USO is a little too much for the body for someone who's just 19 isn't it?

Hi Pawan the last line you wrote is about right for me,he is only 19 years old.For a 19 year old i think we have 2 be impressed.Murray & Djokovic are 21 years old,one in top 5 & other @ number 6.Del Potro is 17th ranked @ 19 years old,He should only move upwards.@ the US Open i think the draw will be a big factor on Del Potro.There are Questions,like will one player above him in the rankings pull out?if yes then he gets a top 16 Draw.That could give him a chance to get deeper @ the USO?We might learn a lot @ this USO on Del Potro.The way he going i would not be shocked if he gets into the top 10.Del Potro i want to see him play some bigger guns in tennis,i think we know more then.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »
Juan Martin del Potro is starting to set standards that are going to be hard to emulate. Four straight ATP titles? His first ever ATP titles? No one in the history of Open Tennis has managed to hit the winner’s circle for the first time in their career and stay there that long without defeat.

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=6616270

:applause:

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »
Sometimes players pan out, sometimes they don't.  This guy is in the process of panning out!  I'm on the bandwagon. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 04:44:17 AM »
Sometimes players pan out, sometimes they don't.  This guy is in the process of panning out!  I'm on the bandwagon. 
Are you sure this thing's safe? :confused1:

CONK da ball!!!

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
if i am guessing right, 'the batman' will jump in here and do one of his 'bat stunts' within the next few posts.........

I dont know shank, it is far more easier to laugh about Nalbandian, this kid doesnt show anything particular to mock at... dsmastous is right on the spot, there is a fasion here. where can I buy a T shirt with his face on it ?

Del Potro has had bad luck with his matchups especially at the GS last year.  Rafa at RG, Fed at Wimbledon, Djokovic at the US Open, no shame in losing to any of those 3, especially on those surfaces. 

Hi alchemist iv been looking @ past draws for Del Potro 2,you make a very good point here.Whats he going to be like when he 21 years of age?for only 19 years of age he doing great.

This year's US Open will tell us a lot Sid.  I can see Del Potro knocking off someone like Roddick in a best of 5 but I still can't see him beating the top 3 there though.  I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a deep run though. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
Are you sure this thing's safe? :confused1:

:laugh-bouce:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:40 AM »

He's much more impressive when you see him live, Pawan. It's the overall power of his game that gets you. But apart from your somewhat dismissive remark, I agree with what you say. His serve indeed needs improving.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »

He's much more impressive when you see him live, Pawan. It's the overall power of his game that gets you. But apart from your somewhat dismissive remark, I agree with what you say. His serve indeed needs improving.

Well, from what I hear, watching a live pro-tennis match is way way more impressive than internet photos and tv coverage based analysis  :whistle:
That said, I am impressed to hear that he is impressive. So you think he has more overall power in his game?  That's interesting and definitely something that I didn't catch. That's good for him.
We'll find out for sure. I think his quarter is pretty empty this USO so he could potentially make the quarters.

Offline ovg

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
To me he's not top 5 this year. Only because he is still growing and has that lanky gangly look of someone whose game is still changing because his body is. He has a good head though - probably a little more than you might expect for his age and when he does settle down in the growing department he has every chance.

Offline TheBull

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 11:58:02 PM »
I think he tosses a little higher while serving??? Am i the only one?

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 03:44:13 AM »

Well, from what I hear, watching a live pro-tennis match is way way more impressive than internet photos and tv coverage based analysis  :whistle:
That said, I am impressed to hear that he is impressive. So you think he has more overall power in his game?  That's interesting and definitely something that I didn't catch. That's good for him.
We'll find out for sure. I think his quarter is pretty empty this USO so he could potentially make the quarters.

Ray Bowers put it very well in http://www.tennisserver.com/lines/lines-archive.html

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO

Juan Martin del Potro at Legg Mason 2008.

Juan Martin del Potro, age 19, arrived in Washington fresh from consecutive triumphs in his preceding three tournaments, including a straight-set win over Andy Roddick in the final of Countrywide Classic in Los Angeles the preceding week. The young Argentine player was now ranked in the world's top twenty--the only teenager at that level. Here at Legg Mason, del Potro was seeded second, so that a return meeting with Roddick in the tournament's final round seemed likely.

Physically, Juan Martin seems perfectly made for tennis. At about 6-6 in height, he has a slender, athletic build and walks with obvious flexibility in body and limb. His game features power serving and power stroking, forehand and backhand, which he gradually unveils in the early stages of matches, delivered relatively effortlessly. After the first few games, he is usually bombarding the corners with relentless, heavyweight deliveries carrying both pace and strong topspin. Few opponents are able to sustain effective resistance to the unceasing pressure. He is relatively uninterested in coming to net. An excellent returner of serve, he usually returns from fairly deep behind baseline and uses his reach to help handle an opponent's wide serves. In interviews he is restrained but self-confident.

I watched at least part of all four del Potro victories enroute to the Legg Mason final. Especially interesting was his Friday quarter-final meeting with John Isner, last year's finalist here. From watching Isner earlier in the week, I understood that John's serving ability remained excellent and also that he had improved his back-court game, which now included a more polished rallying ability to go with his potent forehand drive, usually dispatched inside-out to opponent's backhand.

At first both players had trouble handling the other's serve and both seemed comfortable in long rallies. I was slightly surprised, as I had expected del Potro to be superior in both areas. But as the South American began to unleash his heaviest artillery, it became evident that Isner was in trouble. John's errors gradually became more frequent as the weight of del Potro's shot increased. Isner kept trying hard and overall fared better on the scoreboard than I had predicted. Both sets were decided with a single service-break game, 64 64.

Del Potro's semi-final win over veteran Tommy Haas on Saturday, 62 61, was more impressive. Both men began carefully, trying to avoid error in longish rallies from back court. Haas showed the greater variety, working his opponent from side to side and changing speeds and spins. The two divided the first four games, giving little hint of the demolition that would soon begin.

The European would win only one more game thereafter, as del Potro's raised stroking power took effect. Many of the points were interesting, featuring Haas's tactical virtuosity against del Potro's steady forcefulness. But most of them were won by the tall youth from Tamdil. Afterwards Haas explained to reporters how difficult it was to execute his own shotmaking against this opponent's pace, spin, court movement, and control. Haas predicted that del Potro would soon reach the sport's top ten. Del Potro d. Haas, 62 61.

I think he tosses a little higher while serving??? Am i the only one?

The toss is very high considering that it starts off at quite an altitude. I expect he'll work it out after a while.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
Del potro was practicing with Juan Monaco yesterday.  let me tell you, Del potro was absolutely hitting the ball phenomenally.  he should be a major factor at the US Open (to nobody's surprise with the great season he has had).  he was ripping the cover off of the ball...
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »
thanks Euroka. as I said, I am impressed because last time I saw him (like last year or earlier), I felt he was just too gentle with the ball. That's the first thing that stood out. But looks like he has stepped it up several notches.

I'd also like to point out that the way he is so good at getting the ball right where he wants while hitting it that hard is very impressive.  :)

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 07:32:42 PM »
Careful, the bandwagon is currently under attack !
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:36:54 PM by Pamqnx »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
Careful, the bandwagon is currently under attack !

But the bandwagon stood up & took what was chucked @ it,then the bandwagon hit back with some of its own :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

but yeat he didnt play good...

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »

but yeat he didnt play good...

But a win is a win...