Author Topic: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon  (Read 37044 times)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Re: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
I loved watching Youzhny 'slice' down John Isner, at the USO this autumn. Nevertheless, Del Potro is a remarkable player. His personality is sorely missed on the tour.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
Davin: No one wants to see Del Potro's name in draw

Reported on November 15, 2010

In an interview with La Nacion, Juan Martin Del Potro’s coach Franco Davin says that Del Potro’s wrist is now fine, but he’s still lacking timing and match toughness. He does not expect him to immediately become a dominant player, thinking that he may not be all the way back until halfway through 2011.

“I am confident he will play as he was doing before the injury,” Davin said of the 2009 U.S. Open champion. “We set goals all the time, but today not so many because he spent a year not playing and everything is more difficult. [But] surely all his rivals will pay attention to the draws because none of them want to play Juan.”

http://www.evri.com/media/article;jsessionid=1d2decvfsk0y2?title=Davin:+No+one+wants+to+see+Del+Potro's+name+in+draw&page=http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid%3D8780%26zoneid%3D6&referring_uri=/person/juan-martin-del-potro-0x75258%3Bjsessionid%3D1d2decvfsk0y2&referring_title=Evri

No one wants to draw Del Potro in the first round.  :)

Offline smashlob

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
i'd agree with that statement. hopefully by uso he's playing great tennis again.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »
Juan Martin Del Potro To Return in Sydney International

http://www.fastlinesports.com/2010/12/08/juan-martin-del-potro-to-return-in-sydney-international/

Good to see the Tower of Tandil on his way back.  :)>>>>

Offline .-Federers_Mate-.

• Tennis Player
  • Roger is Tennis
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2010, 10:29:56 PM »
Delp will do ZERO next year. AS someone who has had wrist surgery before, i can tell you that he may never be back to his old level again

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
Delp will do ZERO next year. AS someone who has had wrist surgery before, i can tell you that he may never be back to his old level again

He may or may not but just your particular case of wrist problems is too small of a sample to make any generalizations.  :)~

He beat Fed the last 2 times they played and Rafa the last 3 times they played, not many can say they took out Nadal and Fed the last 5 times they played.
He's no joke.  :king:

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »
Juan Martin Del Potro To Return in Sydney International

http://www.fastlinesports.com/2010/12/08/juan-martin-del-potro-to-return-in-sydney-international/

Good to see the Tower of Tandil on his way back.  :)>>>>

Indeed it is.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2010, 04:57:30 AM »

He may or may not but just your particular case of wrist problems is too small of a sample to make any generalizations.   :)~

He beat Fed the last 2 times they played and Rafa the last 3 times they played, not many can say they took out Nadal and Fed the last 5 times they played.
He's no joke.  :king:

Now that's a FACT! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO 2011 AUSTRALIAN OPEN OUTFIT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
Here's a practice session in Sydney, he looks pretty good with that smooth power he has.  :king:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_fNqZdg7iE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2011, 02:01:03 AM »
Good to see Juan back but he hit a road bump.  :dunno:

He'll rest up some after getting 2 matches under his belt.

Following a heroic victory in his comeback match Monday against Feliciano Lopez, former World No. 4 Juan Martin del Potro succumbed to German Florian Mayer 6-2, 7-5 in one hour and 14 minutes in his second round match. The 22-year-old Argentine lost serve three times, including a crucial break for Mayer at 5-all in the second set.

“You could see he’s not 100 per cent,” said Mayer. “His serve is really strong, but from the baseline he missed a lot.  I think also he was maybe a little bit tired from his long match Monday because when you didn't play for such a long time and you play your first match over three hours, it's really tough.

“But I really played well from the baseline. I knew when I played my game I had a good chance to win today, and I took it.”

Prior to his win against Lopez, del Potro’s last tour-level victory had come against Mayer in the third round of the 2010 Australian Open. Del Potro was sidelined a majority of the 2010 season with a wrist injury, causing him to drop outside the Top 200 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

“Of course I want to play and win a tournament,” del Potro said of his expectations coming into Sydney. “When you lose, it's hard. But now it's different.  I have different sensations. I lost, but I have another tournament in three days.  I'm in good shape.  I have my wrist in good shape. That's good.”

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
I've been watching Potro lately and he's looking better as he moves through some match play.
It appears he's getting close to his old form.
When he first came into the spotlight a few years back he just started winning so maybe he's about ready to put some good play together.
Stay tuned!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
I've been watching Potro lately and he's looking better as he moves through some match play.
When he first came into the spotlight a few years back he just started winning so maybe he's about ready to put some good play together.
Stay tuned!!
Sounds like he just needs  match play to build some confidence.  Sure would be nice to see him contending for slams.  Any thoughts on his chances at RG?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »
Stay tuned!!
Sounds like he just needs  match play to build some confidence.  Sure would be nice to see him contending for slams.  Any thoughts on his chances at RG?

Hard to tell now MT. I don't want to put more into a few wins than what's there.
Del Potro never hit his peak, he was steadily improving the whole year before the injury.
However, at the last RG he played Fed and was looking good on that surface even then, and after that match he improved enough to win the USO.
He's not considered a threat on that surface by almost all but I'm not buying it.

I'm enjoying Del Potro's comeback a great deal.   

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:15:20 PM by swish »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
He's not considered a threat on that surface by almost all but I'm not buying it.

why not?

the strange and trully great thing about Delpotro is that he is not the typical argentinian. clay is not his fav. surface, he prefers hardcourts, he nevers plays the local event in Baires and he has even asked to play Davis Cup in Argentina on hardcourts.
can he dominate on clay? probably, the asterisk is his movement.
he will probably take more seriously IW and Miami than the european clay swing (matchplay/practise then) and of course I expect him to be ready and on fire for the US Open series.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »

why not?
the strange and trully great thing about Delpotro is that he is not the typical argentinian. clay is not his fav. surface, he prefers hardcourts, he nevers plays the local event in Baires and he has even asked to play Davis Cup in Argentina on hardcourts.
can he dominate on clay? probably, the asterisk is his movement.
he will probably take more seriously IW and Miami than the european clay swing (matchplay/practise then) and of course I expect him to be ready and on fire for the US Open series.

He took Fed to 5 sets and had a good chance of winning that match if he didn't tire out.
With that win he may have had a RG title in his pocket.
This is all before he really started improving into the hard court season, he never reached his peak as there were areas he was improving on, endurance being the one that allowed him to take the USO title.

He matches up well with Nadal and may have the game to beat him there.
His movement is good enough on clay, he has plenty of power to take control of points and a large wingspan to get to a lot of balls.

He is lacking in a lot of areas now and still is causing problems on the tour with just being back for a short time, he can get a lot better goes without saying.

These are just a few of the reasons he can do well on clay as well as hards.
On grass I don't know how his game will progress.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
Pretty cool that he has yet to reach his peak potential.
Hopefully he can continue to build his confidence and stay healthy.  RG may be a bit early for him to make the later rounds but only time will tell.
Fun times ahead!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »

Already wrong and we are just in February...

Vamos Juan Martin.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
Congrats to DelPo on winning a tourney this early.  The final was one of the worst ATP matches I have ever seen.  It was brutal to watch.  Regardless, a win is a win and the great players can find a way to win while playing bad. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Congrats to DelPo on winning a tourney this early.  The final was one of the worst ATP matches I have ever seen.  It was brutal to watch.  Regardless, a win is a win and the great players can find a way to win while playing bad.

It was a battle of attrition. Neither one played anywhere near the level that got them into the final.
Tipsy just seemed taken in by the moment.
Del Potro was just flat out of gas and was lucky to win today.

For awhile there it looked like DelPo might just retire.

Good for DelPo to stress his body though, it'll help build him up some.
3 weeks is a long time to be playing for any player.