Author Topic: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon  (Read 36818 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
Jump on!

........Everyone else is.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:03:48 AM by Tennis4you »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »
 :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:
What time is it hitting the UK Dmas?
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »

I think it's about a 6 hour flight.

But I'm not on it. I'm just firing it up.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »

I think it's about a 6 hour flight.

But I'm not on it. I'm just firing it up.

They'll probably be too many on the flight so I'll skip it for the time being.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »
I'm on!  He's looking better all the time. He's still a bit of a hound dog puppy and he hasn't got complete control of the arms and legs yet... but he will!  I like him!  :))

(Do you have to be from the South to understand that... ?? All we understand in Texas is hound dogs and pickup trucks you know.)  :rofl_2:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 02:11:45 PM »
Congrats to Del Potro  :Confused:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »
if i am guessing right, 'the batman' will jump in here and do one of his 'bat stunts' within the next few posts.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »
Well I'm not ready just yet to jump in.  I'll wait until the US Open to see how he does there.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »
I don't understand at all how he can have 18 consecutive victories on 2 different surfaces...I still can't see anything particular in his game, but I have not seen his latest matches... :confused1:

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
if i am guessing right, 'the batman' will jump in here and do one of his 'bat stunts' within the next few posts.........

I dont know shank, it is far more easier to laugh about Nalbandian, this kid doesnt show anything particular to mock at... dsmastous is right on the spot, there is a fasion here. where can I buy a T shirt with his face on it ?

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »

I dont know shank, it is far more easier to laugh about Nalbandian, this kid doesnt show anything particular to mock at... dsmastous is right on the spot, there is a fasion here. where can I buy a T shirt with his face on it ?

Del Potro has had bad luck with his matchups especially at the GS last year.  Rafa at RG, Fed at Wimbledon, Djokovic at the US Open, no shame in losing to any of those 3, especially on those surfaces. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

Del Potro has had bad luck with his matchups especially at the GS last year.  Rafa at RG, Fed at Wimbledon, Djokovic at the US Open, no shame in losing to any of those 3, especially on those surfaces. 
Yeah, that darned ATP draw system really messes with everybody!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »
The dude is playing some solid tennis right now.  Should be interesting to see how he fares at the US Open!!!  What will he be ranked with his latest win over Haas?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »
he was nº 24 last week, this wek nº19, probably for the USO nº 12-14.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »
Thanks!!!  Looks like he will be a top 16 seed then.  Seems crazy!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 09:39:41 PM »

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:41:52 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline TheBull

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 06:10:37 AM »
Too bad babble  :rofl_2:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 06:12:37 AM »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 06:16:32 AM »

Hi alchemist iv been looking @ past draws for Del Potro 2,you make a very good point here.Whats he going to be like when he 21 years of age?for only 19 years of age he doing great.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »
What follows was in the Washington Post this morning. I also have it in the Legg Mason thread

I think Haas showed nice sportsmanship in his remarks. It is clear which of the two players is more used to dealing with the press!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Del Potro Cruises to Another Win
Final-Bound Teenager Dispatches Haas for 18th in a Row

By Zach Berman
Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, August 17, 2008; Page D03

Juan Martín del Potro exhibited no outward glee after topping Tommy Haas in the semifinals of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic yesterday afternoon. Instead, del Potro exhaled after winning the match, 6-2, 6-1. Then he slowly jogged toward the net, blew a kiss to the sky and with the perspiration of playing 82 minutes and the promise of winning his 18th straight match, del Potro shook Haas's hand.
It was a matter of routine for the blossoming Argentine star, who seemed the person least surprised by his convincing victory.
At the postmatch news conference, del Potro slouched in his chair and fiddled with his cellphone until the first question was asked. He spoke with the pace of someone who just tapped the snooze button.
Little rattled del Potro. Not Haas, not the pressure of Stadium Court and a streak that garners him more attention on a daily basis, not a room full of reporters asking questions in a language different from his native tongue.
The first question posed to del Potro was whether he has forgotten how to lose.
He snickered, waited a beat and, with little hitch in his appearance or voice, provided an honest answer: 
"Yes," he said. "A little bit."

If del Potro acted as if yesterday's victory did not merit much greater celebration than a game point, it was because little about the match indicated the result would be different. Del Potro entered as the second seed and Haas the fourth seed, but the difference seemed much greater between the player in the sleeveless shirt, del Potro, and the player in the backwards cap, Haas.
"It seems like he hasn't really been pushed that much in his matches," Haas said, "including me today."
If del Potro beats Viktor Troicki in the final, it will be his fourth consecutive tournament victory. Not since Wimbledon has anyone found a way past del Potro.
Haas could do little to become the first. Del Potro won 25 of 29 first-serve points, a staggering 86 percent compared with Haas's 47 percent. Haas never broke del Potro's serve. Del Potro broke Haas's serve five times.
Del Potro seldom beat himself, which allowed him to command the pace of the match. He recorded two double faults and 15 unforced errors compared with Haas's three double faults and 26 unforced errors.

After Haas took a 2-1 advantage in the first set, del Potro went on to win 11 of the next 12 games. With a rare combination of height and agility -- del Potro is 6 feet 6 and listed at 172 pounds -- he plays with both power and finesse.

"Once a guy that feels confident starts to get more confident, it's tough to come back," Haas said. "It seems like I was a step slower, playing with his kind of power, point after point."
Del Potro noticed the same syndrome. Although Haas was the highest-seeded opponent del Potro has played in Washington, del Potro finished Haas with more ease than any of his first three matches.
"Tommy was getting tired more than me," del Potro said.
Given the tournament's early upsets -- just three seeded players were among the eight quarterfinalists -- there is no guarantee del Potro will win the final. But given the way he has played in the past month, there is little reason to suspect he will slip.
A victory today will extend del Potro's winning streak to 19 matches. Just 34 other times in tennis history has a player gone on a longer streak, and del Potro has a good chance of continuing the streak beyond today.
The list of players del Potro has beaten during this run includes Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish and now Haas. None of the matches even reached a third set.
Haas said he considers del Potro a dark horse for the U.S. Open title. Although there are bigger names in tennis, there are few hotter players. And del Potro still is only 19, meaning he might be just beginning to scratch the surface. Today's championship, then, provides Washington a final glimpse at a player who is establishing himself as one of the brightest young stars in the sport.
"If he continues this way, you have to think he'll be in the top 10 pretty soon, if not the top five," Haas said. "He's one of the guys that's going to be very dangerous."