Author Topic: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon  (Read 35887 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »

hey pawan I am happy you converted. I think youwere one of the most esceptic with the guy some months ago...

I never "converted". I have liked him from before but I was very skeptical because what I thought I saw was just not good enough to cut it. But I am now convinced that he's gotten a lot better and is moving in the right direction, his performance against Murray was solid too, it could have gone either way such a close match.

Now if you see me saying I like Nadal.. or more along the lines of Del Potro, if you see me saying i like Donald Young, THEN I'd have definitely converted  :rofl_2:

You're lucky that you can dislike players from your own country. I don't particularly like Murray, but because Britain seem to only have 0, 1 or 2 decent players during every era/generation, you are kind of inclined and forced to support them  :rofl_2:

Well its not like America has an excess of champions to choose from either  ..-) But yeah i guess I am not as obligated to warm up to every upcoming American as you might be in supporting Murray  :)~

Let me put it this way: your #15 would be our #2  :(

is Andy Murray the highest ranked Scotsman/Brit ever? he will be #4 soon. i believe he can be #3 at his current rate of progress.

if that happens, Fed could be #4 sometime next year. here is the way it is likely to be at the end of this year:

1. Clay Monster
2. Djokovic
3. Fed
4. Murray

what a wonderful time for the sport finally. we finally have 4 that are capable of making monster runs at slams.

Henman and Rusedski got to 4 as well, other than that I don't think we've had any men in the Open era go higher. We may have had a women, not sure.
murray is better than any british player in the open era.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

hey pawan I am happy you converted. I think youwere one of the most esceptic with the guy some months ago...

I never "converted". I have liked him from before but I was very skeptical because what I thought I saw was just not good enough to cut it. But I am now convinced that he's gotten a lot better and is moving in the right direction, his performance against Murray was solid too, it could have gone either way such a close match.

Now if you see me saying I like Nadal.. or more along the lines of Del Potro, if you see me saying i like Donald Young, THEN I'd have definitely converted  :rofl_2:

You're lucky that you can dislike players from your own country. I don't particularly like Murray, but because Britain seem to only have 0, 1 or 2 decent players during every era/generation, you are kind of inclined and forced to support them  :rofl_2:

Well its not like America has an excess of champions to choose from either  ..-) But yeah i guess I am not as obligated to warm up to every upcoming American as you might be in supporting Murray  :)~

is Andy Murray the highest ranked Scotsman/Brit ever? he will be #4 soon. i believe he can be #3 at his current rate of progress.

if that happens, Fed could be #4 sometime next year. here is the way it is likely to be at the end of this year:

1. Clay Monster
2. Djokovic
3. Fed
4. Murray

what a wonderful time for the sport finally. we finally have 4 that are capable of making monster runs at slams.

Henman and Rusedski got to 4 as well, other than that I don't think we've had any men in the Open era go higher. We may have had a women, not sure.

Not yet. More talented, probably, and he will become the most succesful, but Henman has achieved more, and Rusedski too, Murray has a bit more to do.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »

1. Clay Monster
2. Djokovic
3. Fed
4. Murray

Not yet. More talented, probably, and he will become the most succesful, but Henman has achieved more, and Rusedski too, Murray has a bit more to do.
what did henman achieve by 21? murray won his first masters at 21 and henman won his first masters at 30.........murray definitely has it in him to win a slam at least or even multiple slams........henman was so unfortunate to find himself in front of sampras a few times in the second week of wimbledon........he was an extremely good traditional grass courter and that's it.......he just couldn't play on any surface other than grass.........forget about rusedski.......apart from one slam final and a masters title, he was just a hopeless player if you compare him with murray..........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »

1. Clay Monster
2. Djokovic
3. Fed
4. Murray

what did henman achieve by 21? murray won his first masters at 21 and henman won his first masters at 30.........murray definitely has it in him to win a slam at least or even multiple slams........henman was so unfortunate to find himself in front of sampras a few times in the second week of wimbledon........he was an extremely good traditional grass courter and that's it.......he just couldn't play on any surface other than grass.........forget about rusedski.......apart from one slam final and a masters title, he was just a hopeless player if you compare him with murray..........

Yes, Murray has achieved more by this age than Tim or Greg did. However, by the same token that Federer is not yet better than Sampras, if he will ever be, Henman and Rusedski, over their careers achieved more than Murray has yet: Tim has 6 slams semis and the same peak ranking, Greg has a slam final and the same ranking. Murray will almost certainly surpass them obth by a country mile, but he hasn't yet.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »

1. Clay Monster
2. Djokovic
3. Fed
4. Murray

Yes, Murray has achieved more by this age than Tim or Greg did. However, by the same token that Federer is not yet better than Sampras, if he will ever be, Henman and Rusedski, over their careers achieved more than Murray has yet: Tim has 6 slams semis and the same peak ranking, Greg has a slam final and the same ranking. Murray will almost certainly surpass them obth by a country mile, but he hasn't yet.
murray is better than both henman and rusedski........that's for sure.........i could have meant it talent wise too........you must get it yo!  ;-()

Offline ovg

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »
Greg Rusedski - you're kidding right? To me he doesn't belong in any group that include Henman or Murray, except for his faux Britishness.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »
Greg Rusedski - you're kidding right? To me he doesn't belong in any group that include Henman or Murray, except for his faux Britishness.

We're not exactly spoilt for choice. GS finalist, world #4, he wasn't a total mug, and achieved more over his career than Murray has to date, although Murray will obviously surpass him by far.

Offline ovg

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »

We're not exactly spoilt for choice. GS finalist, world #4, he wasn't a total mug, and achieved more over his career than Murray has to date, although Murray will obviously surpass him by far.
OK, noted. Good point on your lack of choice! (Unexplicable  - there's another country/kingdom who needs to analyze what's wrong with the way junior are developed).

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:33 AM »

OK, noted. Good point on your lack of choice! (Unexplicable  - there's another country/kingdom who needs to analyze what's wrong with the way junior are developed).

Oh, we are analyzing it. We used to say that it's a lack of funding, so then they threw money at it and now the problem is too much funding  :confused1: Personally, I think it's something to do with the general British attitude to sports (whenever Murray or another Brit loses, it's always a 'brave' or 'plucky' effort  :whistle:) and also how expensive it can be to start: for an 8-year-old from a poor background:
Decent Racket: £60
Club Membership: £150/year
Coaching: £20/hour
Tournaments: £15 (entry fee) + transport + time off work for parent.
A player having 2 lessons per week and maybe 10 tournaments per year (minimum at that age for anybody hoping to turn pro later) could have their tennis costing £2500 per year which is unnacceptable for many families, especially for a very low chance of success. Many who show talent at an early age have their coaching paid for, but in many cases, the LTA take over their coaching, and are getting 8-year-olds training twice a day, every day, which is too much. 6 people in my year group from my county qualified for LTA training, 4 of them quit by the age of 12, the other 2 are still playing but nowhere near as seriously as they used to. I missed the cut, as did another who is now at an Academy down South, though I'm not sure how well he's doing, but certainly better than any of those who got help earlier on. So, in a nutshell, the LTA don't often provide financial support for young players, and when they do, they massively overdo it.

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »

Guys, do we have to discuss all this in Del Potro tribute thread ??? You have hijacked it !!

I mean, go and use the Nalbandian thread instead that needs a serious push !!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »

Guys, do we have to discuss all this in Del Potro tribute thread ??? You have hijacked it !!

D-Pot has arrived on the scene. he is a scary beast in the making. he had Murray on the ropes. just didnt seal the deal. no doubt he will be getting stronger physically and all those match wins will supply/furnish him with the confidence needed to mow down the opposition.

i have revised by evaluation of D-Pot. he is a top 5-6 player soon. i dont care what the rankings say.

in my estimation, he has leapfrogged E-Gul (Gulbis), Cilic, and any other young gun on the rise.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »

D-Pot has arrived on the scene. he is a scary beast in the making. he had Murray on the ropes. just didnt seal the deal. no doubt he will be getting stronger physically and all those match wins will supply/furnish him with the confidence needed to mow down the opposition.

i have revised by evaluation of D-Pot. he is a top 5-6 player soon. i dont care what the rankings say.

in my estimation, he has leapfrogged E-Gul (Gulbis), Cilic, and any other young gun on the rise.

He was so tied at the end of that match.  He ran out of gas....
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »

He was so tied at the end of that match.  He ran out of gas....

affirmative. that loss taught him so much. he will be back in force.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »
don't you guys think that his height will be a disadvantage in the longer run? he still looks a bit slow to me.........i remember murray lobbing him 3 times which on each occasion he failed to run back and get to the ball.that is slow for a 19 yr old.......murray lobbing del potro itself is a joke, given his height.......actually he could turn that disadvantage into an advantage if he is ready to take the tougher route.........he can use his height and those long arms to blast serves at 125 MPH and run to the net cutting off volleys using his log arms.........his forehand is also good though.no denying that he will make a good baseliner.but he should kick up his movement........he is only 19, so there is also a chance that he could still grow a couple of inches more and get to 6'8" which is scary to imagine.........

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
don't you guys think that his height will be a disadvantage in the longer run? he still looks a bit slow to me.........i remember murray lobbing him 3 times which on each occasion he failed to run back and get to the ball.that is slow for a 19 yr old.......murray lobbing del potro itself is a joke, given his height.......actually he could turn that disadvantage into an advantage if he is ready to take the tougher route.........he can use his height and those long arms to blast serves at 125 MPH and run to the net cutting off volleys using his log arms.........his forehand is also good though.no denying that he will make a good baseliner.but he should kick up his movement........he is only 19, so there is also a chance that he could still grow a couple of inches more and get to 6'8" which is scary to imagine.........

so you answered your own question.

next.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »

next.
what is your opinion on his athletic ability? do you feel he is quick enough? 

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »

next.
what is your opinion on his athletic ability? do you feel he is quick enough? 

if you saw him against Murray, you have the answer to that too. of course he is good enough. if he is doing the dictating, he can afford to be a little less mobile. nobody in the game can move like the Clay Monster and Djokovic so thats not going to happen with D-Pot.

he can easily compensate by doing the dictating. he had Murray on the ropes and had him running from side to side and Murray is among the best movers. he just hits a bigger serve or he steps inside the court.

D-Pot had no problem dispatching Roddick in that tournament before the Open. the guy has major game.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »

1. Clay Monster
2. Djokovic
3. Fed
4. Murray

Hi KS i to think Murray is better than any british player in the open era.This why with some luck he just might win the USO.I know the 3 players ranked above him in the rankings will be more a fav with the bookies.Last year we lost Murray in most slams,& he was not @ his best here last year over his wrist.This year he is fighting fit so i give him a chance,up to now Murray done great here,when we think who Del Potro beat.Here is Del Potro record Where he has beat Fish 6-1 6-2 SF then Roddick in the final @ Los Angeles.On the way to winning Washington he beat Haas 6-1 6-2.Hass put Gasquet out @ the USO.These are just 2 of Del Potros 4 b2b wins.Murray beat Del Potro here & most give Murray no chance,Some people can drive me nuts.When we think what Haas is like on a hardcourt & he played Del Potro & lost,& haas does  Gasquet @ USO.I know Nadal might win V Murray,but Murray has more skills than some think 2.

Del Potro HIGHLIGHTS 2008
Singles
  ATP & Grand Slam W: Kitzbuhel, Stuttgart, Washington, Los Angeles SF: s-Hertogenbosch QF: Munich

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:08:00 PM by sid »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »

Oh, we are analyzing it. We used to say that it's a lack of funding, so then they threw money at it and now the problem is too much funding  :confused1: Personally, I think it's something to do with the general British attitude to sports (whenever Murray or another Brit loses, it's always a 'brave' or 'plucky' effort  :whistle:) and also how expensive it can be to start: for an 8-year-old from a poor background:
Decent Racket: £60
Club Membership: £150/year
Coaching: £20/hour
Tournaments: £15 (entry fee) + transport + time off work for parent.
A player having 2 lessons per week and maybe 10 tournaments per year (minimum at that age for anybody hoping to turn pro later) could have their tennis costing £2500 per year which is unnacceptable for many families, especially for a very low chance of success. Many who show talent at an early age have their coaching paid for, but in many cases, the LTA take over their coaching, and are getting 8-year-olds training twice a day, every day, which is too much. 6 people in my year group from my county qualified for LTA training, 4 of them quit by the age of 12, the other 2 are still playing but nowhere near as seriously as they used to. I missed the cut, as did another who is now at an Academy down South, though I'm not sure how well he's doing, but certainly better than any of those who got help earlier on. So, in a nutshell, the LTA don't often provide financial support for young players, and when they do, they massively overdo it.

lol we know what its like here for young tennis players,Thats why Murray as a kid played in Spain :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »

shankar m8 Murray has the best lob in tennis atm,even the x pros say this on tv.Murray can make anyone look slow when lobing tennis players.When Murrays beat Karlovic this is a ploy he like 2 use v him,Karlovic is taller than Del Potro.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:17:14 PM by sid »