Author Topic: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon  (Read 33514 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Woooo Hoooo!!! Del Pot!

I'm your BIGGEST fan!

(for one more day)

are you seriously will be cheering for him in the final? :Confused: (of course if its gonna be him vs Fed?)

Hmm... good question. No point in rooting against Federer now.

Okay, I want Djokovic to beat Federer and the winner of Djokovic-Federer to beat JMDP.

Thanks Luggy!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

ok, and do me a favor this time, - watch Fed's match (but don't watch him in the face), and stop reading posts and comments about Fed,especially from Dallas(oops she's gonna kill me) and just watch his play,his footwork,his slices,his serve,his BACKHAND, and maybe you can join his bandwagon.

You've never read my deepest, darkest thoughts about Federer?  :-o

I'm insulted  :\

But boring is boring, Luggy. Do I want to watch another straight set dismantling by Roger of anyone? How many times is enough for a non-fan to watch someone fold like a lawn chair against Federer? How many more slams does he have to win to prove anything to anyone any more?

Man, I'm OVER Roger. I don't like to watch him because he's not my favorite player and 10 out of 10 times he carves up players not named Nadal in majors.

I knew that already,you explained that to me before,remember?  But that's exactly what I wanted you to avoid  ..-) just watch his game,if easier pretend like that's not Fed on court  ;-()
It's like with Metallica, after all the success and everything( they proved their class to everyone) they made St.Anger album, and all the fans started to rubbishing them,why? because its not Metallica we know? Well I thought they proved what has to be proved so just pretend its not Metallica and you gonna start like that album  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
hey everyone, I didnt knew about this bandwagon, im definitely in. I saw juan martin playing like 5 years ago in a junior final in uruguay, the orange bowl or something like that and it was awesome, such a great mentality and shot-making. Im very happy with his victory today, hope he does well tomorrow.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »

I must be the only believer, but DP will win tomorrow.

Everybody knows Federer will try drop shots and slices, DP knows it... it didnt work at RG, why here ?

I wont.

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
  • My kitty, Athena, reacting to a dtl bh by Robin
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2009, 02:58:15 AM »

Everybody knows Federer will try drop shots and slices, DP knows it... it didnt work at RG, why here ?

I wont.
Batman, you're not the only one who believes in him. Before the U.S. Open started, I filled out my bracket sheet and predicted Del Pony would win the U.S. Open and Roger would be in the final. Although I didn't do very well besides that prediction (check out our ATP Tournament Challenge, which just reflects my overall bracket picks), I did correctly predict the final, and I do think Del Potro should win this match. He won 9 matches in 13 days from Legg Mason through the Rogers Cup including beating Roddick twice, Nadal, Fernando Gonzalez, Lleyton Hewitt and Soderling in that walkover due to elbow injury. I picked him to win the US Open because nobody looks like he is on the same level as Del Pony. Nobody, including Federer! He has only confirmed my feelings on his play since that time. I believe he will win the US Open tomorrow.  ://
Soderking, Nole, Del Pony, Rafa and a Rejuvenated Nalby for the Love of Tennis...

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »

I wont.
Batman, you're not the only one who believes in him. Before the U.S. Open started, I filled out my bracket sheet and predicted Del Pony would win the U.S. Open and Roger would be in the final. Although I didn't do very well besides that prediction (check out our ATP Tournament Challenge, which just reflects my overall bracket picks), I did correctly predict the final, and I do think Del Potro should win this match. He won 9 matches in 13 days from Legg Mason through the Rogers Cup including beating Roddick twice, Nadal, Fernando Gonzalez, Lleyton Hewitt and Soderling in that walkover due to elbow injury. I picked him to win the US Open because nobody looks like he is on the same level as Del Pony. Nobody, including Federer! He has only confirmed my feelings on his play since that time. I believe he will win the US Open tomorrow.  ://

I want to be  in the bandwagon too.......but still rooting for Fed.

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »

I wont.

It would be good for the sport if Del Pony wins. Fed has had his fill of glory. It would be so great to see someone else prove themselves and it would result in more compelling matches in the future. I'm praying he keeps up his present form. Do any Federer fans get tired of him winning everything and secretly hope that he loses a few just so the sport is more interesting? If it wasn't for Rafa Nadal the past few years, I probably wouldn't even care about watching tennis...
Soderking, Nole, Del Pony, Rafa and a Rejuvenated Nalby for the Love of Tennis...

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2009, 04:37:07 AM »

I wont.

Because tennis doesn't work like this.

And because slices are more efficient here than on clay.

But I don't think it will be an easy final for any of them.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:47 AM »

I wont.

It would be good for the sport if Del Pony wins. Fed has had his fill of glory. It would be so great to see someone else prove themselves and it would result in more compelling matches in the future. I'm praying he keeps up his present form. Do any Federer fans get tired of him winning everything and secretly hope that he loses a few just so the sport is more interesting? If it wasn't for Rafa Nadal the past few years, I probably wouldn't even care about watching tennis...

I don't see why DP winning would make the sport more interesting.
At the WTA there are 100 different champions each year, and because there is no real NO 1 or champion it's pretty uninteresting.
Federer winning, I don't think is boring, it's interesting and attracts a whole lot of new fans to the sport. Just like Tiger Woods does to golf.

Maybe DP winning makes tennis even more popular in Argentina than it already is, but in general, I don't know.

Offline TheBull

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »
Congrats Del Potro.. His aggressive game was something to watch  :))

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
  • But...i'm wearing my Nike's
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »
Yes, very well done :applause:
:)~

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »
He´s done it!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »
He´s done it!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:first-place: :first-place: :first-place:
 :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Del Pony's post match interview! Congratulations to Del Pony!!!!!

THE MODERATOR: We'll begin with questions in English for your 2009 US Open men's singles champion.

Q. How did you do what you did out there and how does it feel?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: It's difficult to explain this moment. You know, since young I dream with this and take trophy with me. You know, I did my dream, and it's unbelievable moment. It's amazing match, amazing people. Everything is perfect.

I don't know, I can't believe.

Q. First of all, congratulations. You've been speaking all week and quite clear that this is your favorite tournament and you've always dreamed of winning it. Sometimes dreams come true. Describe the emotions that you felt when it was a reality.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, when I lay down to the floor, many things come to my mind. First my family and my friends and everything. I don't know how I can explain, because it's my dream. My dream done. It's over. I will go home with a trophy, and it's my best sensation ever in my life.

It's too early to explain. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week I will be believing in this. But now, I don't know. I don't understand nothing.

Q. The crowd out there, was that special?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course, the crowd, it's so exciting cheering for both players. Very respectful for both players. They made a good show for everyone.

Q. I want to know where in the match you felt that you could do this? Federer is known for just pulling out the aces and going to the fifth set and making it. Somehow just having the mental stamina to go through. When did you feel that, wow, I think I got this, I can actually do this?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, when I won the second set, I think if I continuing playing same way, maybe I have chance to win. But after, when I lost the third set, going to break up, I start to think bad things, you know. It was so difficult to keep trying to keep fighting. But one more time the crowd and the fans helped me a lot to fight until last point. I think I have to say thank you to everyone for that.

Q. When you spoke to the crowd in Spanish afterward you got kind of emotional. What did you say?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, because my parents want to come watch the final and say, no, be there. Of course they are part of this moment. They believe in me a lot like my coaches. It's a special moment for me, for my parents and my friends. This trophy is for these, too.

Q. If there was one thing you think did you well today, what was it? Fighting or technically was it ‑‑ what?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Big focus every time and good feeling with my forehand I think was the key of the match.

Q. You've done it now one time. You're only 20 years old. Does this give you an incredible desire more than ever to be a consistent champion, somebody who can go out and win other Grand Slams as well and repeat here? Build a legacy?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know, I just want to live this moment. Of course I will be in the history of this tournament. That's amazing for me. I have new opportunities in the other Grand Slams to win, because if I did here, if I beat Nadal, Federer and many good players, maybe I can do one more time.

But of course, will be difficult, because I was so close to lose today.

Q. You double faulted twice to go down two sets to one. How did you get yourself back into that match? What were you telling yourself?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I was so...

Q. Were you momentarily down?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, but that moment I start to think the final, playing with Roger, the best player of the history, nothing to lose. And be two sets to one down, but I think, okay, you never lose until the last point, so keep fighting. The crowd help me, and they saw my fight in every point.

So I think that's help me.

Q. You came this close to almost breaking the racquet after the third set. All of a sudden there seemed to be a new spark in you.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I was so nervous. But for respect to me and respect to everyone, I don't do that, because maybe when I feel nervous I saw Roger and he's a gentleman player, you know. We have to learn many things about him. Many times I do that today.

Q. In the first set, he handled pretty well. Was it nerves on your end that you got a little nervous playing the first set? In the second set, what adjustments did you make to your game?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, the beginning of the match I was so nervous, I can't sleep last night. I don't take a breakfast today. That's part of the final, you know.

But Roger start very good. I start little down. I miss ‑‑ I was bad with my serve, and that's important weapon of my game. When I broke his serve for first time, I start to believe in my game. To change.

Q. You always talk so quietly with this soft voice, do you ever shout in your life, in your private life? Do you get angry?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. I was in the locker room...

Q. What did you do?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Doing some bad things. I cannot tell you.

Q. Does this victory, is it even more special because you beat Roger in the final?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course. Beat Roger for first time here in my favorite Grand Slam, and two sets to one down, everything, I think it's the best final ever in my life, of course.

But if I beat Roger if three sets straight will be better. But it's impossible.

Q. Do you think the match you played against him in Paris helped you here?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, sometimes help me, but sometimes no, because I was 4‑5 serving and I did two double faults, same like Paris when I was 3‑All in the fifth set.

I think that, but fortunately it was early. I have two more set to fight. Maybe that's help me.

Q. You earned a lot of money today. How are you gonna use this? Are you gonna buy something to treat yourself?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, maybe cheesecake for my birthday.

Q. The fact that you in your first Grand Slam final beat Roger, who is in the prime of his brilliant tennis career and the way did you it, what did you learn about yourself today and throughout the course of this tournament?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I think everything is to learn about this match. I have many things to improve to be better. Of course I would like to be in top 4, top 3, or top 1 in the future. But I have to play like today many, many weeks in the year. If I still working and still going in the same way, maybe in the future I can do.

Q. Normally the strongest mentally player wins the tiebreaker. You played two tiebreaks against Federer and he starts one with a double fault and you win both. How did you explain? Do you think it was Federer who was, I don't say frightened, but something like that? Or that you did something really special?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, if I lose the fourth set tiebreak I lose the match. I did unbelievable points. I was focused every time trying to think on the point, and that's it.

Maybe Roger feel the nervous, because with his six straight tournament, of course it's difficult. But I did my things. I have respect for what my coach say before the match. That's the reason of my victory.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2009, 12:54:53 AM »
wow, wow,

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »
"Big focus every time."

....and of course that Ferocious Forehand.

Nice to see he has the mental strength to hang with the big dogs on the Grand Stage. :))
I missed the most of the first 2 sets and apparently that was the least best tennis. :phew:
The remainder of the match had plenty of tension and some occasional great play.

It looked to me like the wheels came off for Fed and JDP took full advantage of that.  Nicely done.

"Big focus every time" would make a good sig! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »
A fantastic summation of the match from the New York Times today:

Del Potro Stuns Federer to Win Open
By Geoff Macdonald

Michelle V. Agins/The New York Times

Juan Martín del Potro defeated Roger Federer in five sets.

Juan Martín del Potro of Argentina did what seemed to be the unthinkable on Monday night, beating Roger Federer in a dramatic five-set match to win the United States Open for his first major championship, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2.

The big-serving, 6-foot-6 del Potro ended Federer’s remarkable string of five consecutive Open singles championships and, at 20 years old, signaled that he is ready to challenge Federer and Rafael Nadal, whom del Potro beat in the semifinal on Sunday to reach the final, as the game’s top player.

The match began as many others had for Federer at this year’s Open. Having lost only two sets against six opponents before facing del Potro, Federer had little trouble winning the first set, 6-3, and seemed to be on track to add to his record 15 career Grand Slam championships.

But late in the second set, del Potro won a challenge on a passing shot that was called out. This seemed to unnerve Federer — who has voiced his displeasure with the Hawk-Eye replay system — and it took him until the end of the third set before he regained his equilibrium.

By the fourth set, del Potro had established his rhythm and power, his serve reaching 138 miles an hour. In the crucial tie-breaker at the end of the fourth set, del Potro took a 3-0 lead, and then overpowered Federer to win the tie-breaker, 7-4.

Del Potro then jumped to a 3-0 lead in the fifth set, and, in a reversal of roles, it was the 20-year-old who had the champion Federer measured for victory. With a final shot by Federer that went long, the championship belonged to del Potro.

It has been a remarkable rise for del Potro, who went from No. 65 in July 2008 to No. 6 in the world today. Now, with a United States Open title, he said, “I don’t have words to explain.”

Fifth Set: Del Potro 5, Federer 2
As well as Federer served at Wimbledon, he is woeful in this match. He opens with a double fault then hits two wicked forehands that del Potro couldn’t touch. An easy hold for Federer. Now it’s del Potro serving to get closer to the championship. Fed misfires on an inside out forehand to go down 15-0. A slow spinning serve befuddles the Fed and he muffs it long. 30-0. 40-0 and del Potro holds with yet another superb forehand winner. Can Federer hold again? Can del Potro?

Fifth Set: Del Potro 4, Federer 1
It was 15-15 on Federer’s serve as Federer’s serving problems continue. He moves to 30-15 after a forcing forehand, then to 40-15 after another serve and forehand combo. He holds to win his first game of the fifth set. At 15-0 for del Potro in the next game, Federer wrongfoots del Potro to draw even. The two each make mistakes to tie the game at 30-30. A strong inside-out forehand brings del Potro to game point. He holds as Fed sprays a backhand wide.

Fifth Set: Del Potro 3, Federer 0
Federer stumbles and is broken when Del Potro hammers a cross-court forehand pass to break. At 15-15 on del Potro’s serve, Federer unleashes an astonishing backhand down the line that del Potro falls trying to make a volley. Often a fall can signal a slight momentum change. At 30-30, he makes a rare forehand error. But del Potro saves break point when Federer misses a backhand long. At deuce, he hit a good serve then finished with a strong forehand down the line that went untouched. Another first serve puts the 20-year-old del Potro halfway to the title.

Fifth Set: Del Potro 1, Federer 0
A solid hold for del Potro, with Federer looking once again irritated. He flailed wildly at a couple of ground strokes to give del Potro a fairly easy hold. Which Federer will we see? Will he grow despondent as he did against Nadal in the Australian? Or hang on with guts as he did to beat Roddick?

Del Potro Wins Fourth Set, 7-6
Match Is Tied
After holding with authority, del Potro goes up, 1-0, in the tie-breaker on Federer’s double fault. He hits two forehand winners to go up, 3-0. Federer benefits from an unforced backhand mistake by del Potro, then hits an ace to draw to within a point at 3-2. Del Potro wins the next point with a backhand down the line that Federer mistimed and hit wide cross-court. Del Potro won the next point after Federer missed just long on a backhand down the line. Federer held his two points to get to 4-5. Del Potro goes up, 6-4, when Fed misses wide on a forehand. Set to del Potro as Fed misfires wide again. What a match!

Fourth Set: Federer 6, Del Potro 5
Del Potro holds by returning to some big serving on clutch points, then finishing the game with a thunderous down-the-line forehand. Federer looks contained, composed. He jumps to a 40-0 lead, but del Potro responds with some unbelievable shot-making. Federer saves the first break point with a superb defensive get. He hangs on through an incredible onslaught of del Potro firepower and holds to go up, 6-5.

Fourth Set: Federer 5, Del Potro 4
Del Potro appeared to be cruising on his service game, getting up 30 love easily. But Federer used his chip backhand to make del Potro bend and a couple of unforced errors knotted the score. A good backhand volley by the Fed gave him break point, and, remarkably, he broke del Potro to reach 4 all. He then held with gathering confidence, exploding on a cross-court backhand to clinch the game.

Fourth Set: Del Potro 4, Federer 3
Del Potro wins a scintillating 21-stroke rally, then wins over the crowd by high-fiving kids in the first row. Now he looks in control of the match as he holds to go up, 4-2. But Federer rights his ship with a tough hold. Once again, a del Potro challenge reverses a point for Federer and a momentary look of deep annoyance crosses Federer’s face.

Fourth Set: Del Potro 3, Federer 2
Despite his height, del Potro serve appears to be slowing. He saves a break point with a fine forehand cross-court, and holds for 2-2. On Federer’s serve, del Potro opens with two bludgeoning forehands to get to 0-30. Two unforced errors by Federer give the break to del Potro. What could have been a 4-1 lead for Federer is now a 3-2 lead for del Potro.

Fourth Set: Federer 2, Del Potro 1
Del Potro saves two break points, and holds with a 100-mph forehand cross-court winner. Federer responds with good serving and aggressive play. A factor in the match could be conditioning. Recall that del Potro grew fatigued last month in the Montreal final against Andy Murray. Look for Federer to move del Potro. But what awesome ball striking, especially from del Potro.

Fourth Set: Federer 1, Del Potro 0
Serving first, Federer holds and looks to have recovered his mental ballast. Will del Potro be able to let go of his lost opportunities in the third set? Can the Fed capitalize on the changing momentum?

Federer Wins Third Set, 6-4
Federer Leads, Two Sets to One
An unusual break gives Federer the third set. Del Potro missed another easy overhead, then a letcord winner off of a rare forehand underspin approach shot gave Federer a 0-30 lead. Del Potro tied the score at 30-30 before seriously blinking and hitting two double faults to give Federer the third set. What a strange, emotional, dramatic set of tennis. Del Potro has hit a handful of forehands harder than seems possible.

Third Set: Federer 5, Del Potro 4
An old adage in tennis says that you haven’t broken until you’ve held. Del Potro got broken by Federer after his first loose game since early in the second set. Federer let out a warrior’s whoop after securing the break. A very important turn in the match. Federer seems to have regained his service rhythm, but del Potro continues to hit with blistering force. Federer saves a break point and again yells to celebrate. He holds, but gets upset when del Potro challenges a sideline call after a delay. On the changeover, Federer exchanges angry words with the chair umpire Jake Garner for allowing del Potro so much time.

Third Set: Del Potro 4, Federer 3
Del Potro holds with ease and knots the score at 3-3. Federer raises his first-serve percentage and starts the game with two forehand winners. Then, at 30-0, Federer committed two unforced errors, mis**tting a forehand and then a backhand to get del Potro to 30-30. Another two unforced errors and del Potro seizes the break. Federer looks profoundly frustrated.

Third Set: Federer 3, Del Potro 2
Federer will lose this match if he can’t find a way to let go of what he perceives as the unjust overrule by Hawk-Eye. Del Potro, by contrast, looks fresh and energized. He fails to capitalize on Federer’s funk, which could come back to haunt him. Who can raise his level and win this pivotal set? Del Potro looks to be playing better, but Federer has hung on. Remarkably, the crowd seems to favor the young Argentine.

Third Set: Federer 2, Del Potro 1
Del Potro holds easily, with Federer mis-hitting several shots in the tricky wind. He still seems angry. His body language has changed from an enthusiastic artist showcasing his talents, to an upset, almost petulant look as he tries to regain his emotional equilibrium. After turning away a del Potro break point, Federer holds, but he is fortunate to be up at this point of the third set.

Third Set: Federer 1, Del Potro 0
For Federer, this was important game to hold serve. He needs to get past the disappointment of losing the second set, which was achingly close to being in his column. A huge factor in the match will be who handles his emotions better.

Del Potro Wins the Second Set, 7-6 (5)
Match Is Tied
The extraordinary mental toughness of Roger Federer was tested as much by Hawk-Eye as by his heavy-hitting opponent, Juan Martin Del Potro. The two split the first six points, then switched ends of the court. Del Potro served at 4-3 with the wind at his back, and hit a huge first ball forehand winner followed by a backhand winner up the line to move to 6-3. With the set on his racket, the Argentine badly misplayed an overhead, then missed long on a ground stroke. At 6-5, he converted on his third set point with a bid inside-out forehand that brought the crowd to its feet. The match is tied at one set apiece, and we’ve got a great match unfolding.

Second Set: Del Potro 6, Federer 6
Federer still seems miffed by the Hawk-Eye overrule. He challenges a call himself — unsuccessfully — which is his way of showing his disdain for Hawk-Eye. Nonetheless, he holds, and we’re in a tie-breaker.

Second Set: Del Potro 6, Federer 5
Two thread-the-needle forehand passing shots down the line give del Potro a break. He looks visibly more confident, and his ground strokes have gained force. At 30-30 on Federer’s serve, the ball was called out by the linesman, but del Potro won after challenging the call. This irked Federer, who has let his displeasure with the Hawk-Eye instant replay system be known.

Second Set: Federer 5, Del Potro 4
After a mis-hit forehand to go down, 0-15, Federer hits three straight first serves to go up, 40-15. Another mis-hit forehand, followed by an aggressive approach and forehand volley winner bring del Potro to deuce. But Federer again attacked the net, hitting a tough shoestring backhand volley which the Argentine ripped just wide on a forehand down the line passing shot. Federer’s serve continues to be erratic, but he holds after two unforced errors by del Potro. It’s a missed opportunity for del Potro. But he holds at love to set up the dramatic moment in the match.

Second Set: Federer 4, Del Potro 3
The blustery conditions on court have hurt both players on their first serves. Federer holds with an ace –- only his third of the match. Del Potro holds relatively easily, in what seemed like the quickest two games of the match. Federer is two service holds away from a two-set lead. Can del Potro break him and make a match of this? Can Federer hold him off and jump out to a huge lead?

Second Set: Federer 3, Del Potro 2
Federer continues to attack the net, but plays his first loose service game, he gets down, 15-40, on a misplayed volley and a forehand pulled wide. Fed digs in though, and forces del Potro to commit three errors. At deuce, after an apparent Federer ace, the point is replayed when del Potro claimed he wasn’t ready, and the Argentine got to break point. Federer holds, however and del Potro is beginning to show some frustration. On del Potro’s serve, he nails three big serves to get to 40-15, but Federer chipped and looped in some brilliant counterpunching to even the score at deuce. A successful challenge of an apparent del Potro ace up the T –- a rare occurrence for Federer — got him to break point. The two battled through a long game, with del Potro finally holding to keep himself just one break down.

Second Set: Federer 2, Del Potro 1
This is the most Federer has come to the net in a Grand Slam final. He is using drop shots, lobs, stop volleys and all three spins to befuddle the powerful del Potro, who has yet to find his rhythm. The serve looks forced , but he steadies himself to hold. Federer plays a behind the back half volley which del Potro puts away on game point.

Federer Wins the First Set, 6-3
Federer is using the chip off both sides to neutralize when del Potro is ripping the ball. A stealthy sneak forward followed by a deft drop volley got Fed to 0-30. Del Potro saved three set points at 0-40, with Federer playing a bit too many touch shots. A double fault on the first point at 5-3 by Federer gave del Potro a brief opening, but he could not capitalize, and Federer holds at fifteen.

First Set: Federer 5, Del Potro 2
A surprise chip and charge on del Potro’s second serve worked beautifully, and Federer attacked the net again to get to 30 all. Federer has the Argentine off balance and uncertain tactically, but del Potro staves off a break point with a strong point from the baseline followed by two unreturnable serves. The lost break chance seems to have shifted momentum to del Potro, as Federer’s first serve percentage dropped and del Potro jumped out to a 0-30 lead. A great second serve at 30-30 and an inside in forehand winner gave Fed the game.

First Set: Federer 4, Del Potro 1
After a solid hold from del Potro, the Argentine pulled back to return from a deeper position. Federer is not giving del Potro any angles, waiting for the right ball to move the 6-foot-6 del Potro into the corner. A sweet drop shot by Federer followed a sharply angled pass to get to 30-love. An athletic scissor kick overhead clinched the game.

First Set: Federer 3, Del Potro 0
Federer breaks del Potro in a long game, hitting two astonishing shots on the run to earn the break. Federer is hitting a lot of balls deep up the middle to handcuff the Argentine. Federer is also slicing his backhand to blunt del Potro’s pace and keep the ball low. Trouble for del Potro if his first serve woes continue.

Offline giovanni0914

• Tennis Player
JUAN martin del potro champion US OPEN 2009
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline fgzhu88

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2009, 02:26:27 AM »
lol I'm on the bandwagon.   :)~  I'll go so far as to predict del Potro to be a future #1 and defend his US Open next year

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
lol I'm on the bandwagon.   :)~  I'll go so far as to predict del Potro to be a future #1 and defend his US Open next year

:whistle: :whistle:  :ZZZZZ)
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
lol I'm on the bandwagon.   :)~  I'll go so far as to predict del Potro to be a future #1 and defend his US Open next year

I hope so, he have the game and mentality to do that..definitely