Author Topic: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon  (Read 30188 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: The Juan Martín del Potro Bandwagon
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
Potro should be there.

Del Potro Hopeful of Miami Return
March 9, 2010 · Print This Article

Reigning US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro remains hopeful of a return to the ATP World Tour during the upcoming Miami Masters event in Florida.

Sustaining a wrist injury last fall, del Potro has not seen court action since losing to Marin Cilic in five sets at the Australian Open.

The current world No. 5 has reportedly not encountered any pain during his recent training sessions.

I heard today on the local news that he started to feel pain in his wrist again after a training session. And aparently, today, he is not going to miami.

Bad news... I hoped he would return in Miami. Hope he gets better soon!
I was really looking forward to his return, I just hope this won't be a lingering problem.
 :(

Offline InGale

• Tennis Player
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »
Potro should be there.

Reigning US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro remains hopeful of a return to the ATP World Tour during the upcoming Miami Masters event in Florida.

Sustaining a wrist injury last fall, del Potro has not seen court action since losing to Marin Cilic in five sets at the Australian Open.

The current world No. 5 has reportedly not encountered any pain during his recent training sessions.

I heard today on the local news that he started to feel pain in his wrist again after a training session. And aparently, today, he is not going to miami.

I was really looking forward to his return, I just hope this won't be a lingering problem.

Yup, so did I... Disappointed he had to withdraw, but it's better for him to withdraw now and continue his treatment rather than going to Miami and getting an injury again. Hope he'll be back soon!

BTW, judging by your sig. pic., we both have the same favorite players  :drinks:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:49 AM »
Loved the US Open final. No pushing go there.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »
Potro should be there.

Yup, so did I... Disappointed he had to withdraw, but it's better for him to withdraw now and continue his treatment rather than going to Miami and getting an injury again. Hope he'll be back soon!

BTW, judging by your sig. pic., we both have the same favorite players  :drinks:

Yep, those are my players.  :drunk:

Offline Aces

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2010, 05:29:19 AM »
hello guys
I like Del Potro very much I think he can win a lot of GS if he stays healthy which is what I doubt

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »
hello guys
I like Del Potro very much I think he can win a lot of GS if he stays healthy which is what I doubt

He has a good team and just finished growing(I think), he'll be OK.
I'm looking foreward to him returning too.
I would be very disappointed if he doesn't make #1 and at least a few more GS's.

He works on all aspects of his game and should get better.

Offline Aces

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
hello guys

He has a good team and just finished growing(I think), he'll be OK.
I'm looking foreward to him returning too.
I would be very disappointed if he doesn't make #1 and at least a few more GS's.

He works on all aspects of his game and should get better.

fingers crossed
he's an all around player really Great Serve Big Striking off both wings moves well for his height maybe he isn't as good at the net but he doesn't need it very much

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »
 :scared:

Del Potro demonstrates a perfect point of contact for a power serve. At 6'6", Juan Martin has an inherent advantage in serving, and he adds almost another foot to his height of contact with a leg thrust that lifts him off the ground. Leaning into the court and meeting the ball at full arm extension, Juan Martin will deliver maximum forward power from a high starting point that will help him angle the ball into the service box.

The position of his hips and the twisting of his upper body indicate that Juan Martin is hitting this forehand in a semi-open stance, which gives him a fairly even mix of rotational and linear power production. Del Potro's height may largely explain why his grip is closer to Eastern than to the more common (among the pros) Semi-Western. The main advantage of more western grips is to handle higher balls, but when you're as tall as Juan Martin, fewer balls seem high to you and more balls seem low, where a more western position is weaker.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
Potro is out of Monte Carlo and Barcelona.  :(

The story is in spanish, looks like tendinitis in the wrist from what I can make out.

http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/News/Sport/Tennis-Del-Potro-problemi-al-polso-e-stop-prosegue_220450241.html

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
Horrible luck for Potro. May the big galut get well in time for Madrid at least.

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »

The story is in spanish, looks like tendinitis in the wrist from what I can make out.

http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/News/Sport/Tennis-Del-Potro-problemi-al-polso-e-stop-prosegue_220450241.html

its in italian, if it would be in spanish I could have translated..

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »

its in italian, if it would be in spanish I could have translated..

Shows what I know.  :paper bag:

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »

translation:

Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro will not play in Monte Carlo and Barcelona. The newspaper La Nacion said that the 21 year old is bothered by problems with his right wrist tendon. Del Potro, No. 5 ATP, just visited the United States and was seen by Dr. Richard Berger. The stop, could mean Del Potro will also miss Rome. The Argentine, at this point, is expected to return to action May 10 at Madrid.

Wow, that's pretty messed up...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:30:07 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »

translation:

Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro will not play in Monte Carlo and Barcelona. The newspaper La Nacion said that the 21 year old and bothered by problems with his right wrist tendon. Del Potro, No. 5 ATP, just visited the United States and was seen by Dr. Richard Berger. The stop, could mean Del Potro will also miss Rome. The Argentine, at this point, is expected to return to action May 10 at Madrid.

Wow, that's pretty messed up...

Thanks Babb's...  An Italian scholar!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »
Doesn't look to good. Even after all this time.

Del Potro's wrist still injured; tour return unclear
Ticker - Friday, April 9, 2010

The swelling on Juan Martin del Potro's wrist has not fully subsided and it is not clear when he will be able to return to the tour, according to his physiotherapist Diego Rivas.

Del Potro has not played since the Australian Open.

"It's just working and waiting to see the best time to play again," Rivas told Argentine radio, but said the U.S. Open champion would not require surgery.—

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he has surgery in the end...

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »
I hope it doesn't come to surgery, but it has been quite awhile and the wrist is still swollen, I would think it should have been healed a long time ago.

Potro is an exciting player, I like to see how the top players try to handle his game, and also to see if he's still progressing (getting better).

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: April 10, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he has surgery in the end...
Which end? :confused1:

That sounds serious, super serious.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »

Oh Lord, I think it's Safin.

After getting in a argument with Serena.  :rofl_2:

Looks like he needs a decent meal.  ://

Hey, "What's going on Bro' "

The ballet classes are finally paying off!  ..-)

Do I have a pair or not?  :)~

Count Potro.

A complete waste of the "precious stuff".  ;-()

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
The deadly forehand.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGodD1fMfHY[/youtube]

At 6'6", Juan Martin Del Potro needs quite a knee bend to get a two-handed backhand ready for a low ball. With a one-handed slice, he could expend less energy, but without topspin, he couldn't hit the ball as hard and keep it in the court. In this photo, the position of Del Potro's racquet, well below the ball, indicates that he does intend to use topspin.

Juan Martin is using the most common two-handed grip, with his right hand in a Continental position and his left in an Eastern forehand position. His stance is slightly closed, but not enough to interfere with his swing. Generally, the bigger and stronger a player is, the less backswing he needs to generate power, and a more compact backswing has the advantage of simplifying timing and certainty of contact.