Author Topic: My New Strings.  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
My New Strings.
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »
 It was that time again to get restrung ( my racquet of course ).
I have a Head liquidmetal stick, 107 inches squared.
My old set up was wilson sensation duo(a hybrid) at 62lb mains for the poly and 60lb for the crosses.
The strings lasted a year and I was happy.

As a side note:
After awhile the strings lost all power and caused my game to improve without me knowing it till recently.
I always took short swings with hardly any follow through till my strings just wouldn't give me enough to keep the ball deep. Then I started swinging harder and harder with full follow through, finally.
I got my waist into it also to give me more power, now the swing looks like it's supposed to.

To get it restrung is a daunting task for me, so many strings, tensions, hybrids etc.

So to get some help I went to Mark Campanile. An awesome and unbelievably knowledgeable guy. We talked awhile about my game and what I wanted and came up with a solution.

http://www.theracquetman.net/biography.html

So I got 60lb on the mains and crosses.
Main: Pacific x-force 18. 
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2006/08/pacific_xforce_18.html

Crosses: Tecnifibre NRG2 16.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-NRG16.html

It's going to be a couple weeks till I get to try it out and will come back with my results which I'll post.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: My New Strings.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:02 PM »
Why will it take a couple of weeks to give them a go yo?

I hope you like them.  I am not a big advocate of leaving strings in your racquet too long due to the loss of power.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:27 PM »
Why will it take a couple of weeks to give them a go yo?

I hope you like them.  I am not a big advocate of leaving strings in your racquet too long due to the loss of power.

That's as soon as I can get on the court, I just hope the strings turn out well, it can look good as far as specs but as you know, the court is the real test.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:50:22 PM »
i restring at least once a month, if i dont break my strings.  leaving poly too long is just a recipe for disaster, both for ur game and ur arm
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:39:44 PM »
i restring at least once a month, if i dont break my strings.  leaving poly too long is just a recipe for disaster, both for ur game and ur arm

I'll agree with that. Poly loses it's tension much worse than any other string.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 04:52:44 AM »
Yo, nice job recognizing the impact fading strings have on your game! :))

I'm confused as to why your stroke seemed to lengthen as the tension dropped. :Confused:  Or perhaps was it that the poly just went dead? :confused1:

Most guys I know only care about how the strings feel when they first get the racquet strung.  After that, they tend to accept any tension/feel loss in favor of having the strings last as long as possible.  Some of these guys only play a couple times a week and so pretty much anything but gut lasts 6+ months for them.  The thought of cutting out a set of poly after a month or so is beyond their comprehension.

Good luck with your new set up.  Wise move consulting an expert and discussing your game before selecting strings.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:50:32 AM »
I know the tension drops and the strings (especially polys) lost power if they are left in too long. 

Here is what I have never understood:
If the strings lose tension, and lower tension equals more power, then how do the strings lose power?  I'm not saying they don't, because I have noticed they do seem to lose a bit of pop....

Does anyone know why this is the case? 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
I know the tension drops and the strings (especially polys) lost power if they are left in too long. 

If the strings lose tension, and lower tension equals more power, then how do the strings lose power?  I'm not saying they don't, because I have noticed they do seem to lose a bit of pop....

When they lose tension, it's because they lose elasticity, which is what gives strings power. It's slightly different than just lower tension.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:11:17 AM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »

When they lose tension, it's because they lose elasticity, which is what gives strings power. It's slightly different than just lower tension.
Aha!  Thanks D!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:27:05 PM »

Sounds like a good answer.  I'll buy that.   Thanks. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »

Sounds like a good answer.  I'll buy that.   Thanks. 

Ok. You can use PayPal. :shiny:

Send what you can afford.  :whistling:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Yo, nice job recognizing the impact fading strings have on your game! :))

I'm confused as to why your stroke seemed to lengthen as the tension dropped. :Confused:  Or perhaps was it that the poly just went dead? :confused1:

Most guys I know only care about how the strings feel when they first get the racquet strung.  After that, they tend to accept any tension/feel loss in favor of having the strings last as long as possible.  Some of these guys only play a couple times a week and so pretty much anything but gut lasts 6+ months for them.  The thought of cutting out a set of poly after a month or so is beyond their comprehension.

Good luck with your new set up.  Wise move consulting an expert and discussing your game before selecting strings.

yep, I'm one of those guys, I'll play a set of strings as long as possible but the effort to hit a hard ball was too much. I just hope the full swings stay around.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
I'd say keep the long swings Swishman and change your gear if you need more control!  Strokes not Pokes! ;-()

Are you using the Liq. Metal Radical Oversize?  Looks like a decent upper level stick that should offer enough control for us mere mortals.

Good luck with the new strings.  I'd love to hear any feedback once you've tried them out a few times!

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
I'd say keep the long swings Swishman and change your gear if you need more control!  Strokes not Pokes! ;-()

Are you using the Liq. Metal Radical Oversize?  Looks like a decent upper level stick that should offer enough control for us mere mortals.

Good luck with the new strings.  I'd love to hear any feedback once you've tried them out a few times!

It's 107 inches, a pretty good stick as far as I know and I'll give some feedback on the string performance in a few weeks.

I don't think I'll ever go back to short swings, it feels really good to turn into the ball with some power.   :cool:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »

It's 107 inches, a pretty good stick as far as I know and I'll give some feedback on the string performance in a few weeks.

I don't think I'll ever go back to short swings, it feels really good to turn into the ball with some power.   :cool:
:thumbs-up:  That's what I'mtalkin' 'bout!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »

Just add more upswing and exchange that excess power for spin.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »

I don't think I'll ever go back to short swings, it feels really good to turn into the ball with some power.   :cool:

Having to condense the swing if you do not want to do so stinks.  A free swinging motion is always encouraged.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 05:28:30 PM »

107 inches is pretty much an oversized racquet. That may give you more power than you want. If you are getting too much power, you may consider something like a 98 sq inch instead.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »

107 inches is pretty much an oversized racquet. That may give you more power than you want. If you are getting too much power, you may consider something like a 98 sq inch instead.

You're probably right, if this setup doesn't work I'm ready to make a change, for now I'll try to use more topspin to keep the ball in. If so I'll talk to Mark (reference my first post), I'm surprised that he would show such interest to someone just off the street like myself.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »

that sounds right to me, I really had to whack the ball to get pace. I was thinking along the lines that less tension led to more power also but loss of elasticity must come into play, I don't see any other reason for the lack of power.
Thanks, D!