Author Topic: My New Strings.  (Read 4279 times)

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
Re: My New Strings.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
I know the tension drops and the strings (especially polys) lost power if they are left in too long. 

Here is what I have never understood:
If the strings lose tension, and lower tension equals more power, then how do the strings lose power?  I'm not saying they don't, because I have noticed they do seem to lose a bit of pop....

Does anyone know why this is the case? 

When they lose tension, it's because they lose elasticity, which is what gives strings power. It's slightly different than just lower tension.

Sounds like a good answer.  I'll buy that.   Thanks. 

Ok. You can use PayPal. :shiny:

Send what you can afford.  :whistling:

Ummmm...that would be...like....nothing.... :whistle: :whistle:
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 09:59:09 AM »
I know the tension drops and the strings (especially polys) lost power if they are left in too long. 

Here is what I have never understood:
If the strings lose tension, and lower tension equals more power, then how do the strings lose power?  I'm not saying they don't, because I have noticed they do seem to lose a bit of pop....

Does anyone know why this is the case? 

When they lose tension, it's because they lose elasticity, which is what gives strings power. It's slightly different than just lower tension.

Sounds like a good answer.  I'll buy that.   Thanks. 

Ok. You can use PayPal. :shiny:

Send what you can afford.  :whistling:

Ummmm...that would be...like....nothing.... :whistle: :whistle:

I can accept that!  :king:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »
It was that time again to get restrung ( my racquet of course ).
I have a Head liquidmetal stick, 107 inches squared.
My old set up was wilson sensation duo(a hybrid) at 62lb mains for the poly and 60lb for the crosses.
The strings lasted a year and I was happy.

As a side note:
After awhile the strings lost all power and caused my game to improve without me knowing it till recently.
I always took short swings with hardly any follow through till my strings just wouldn't give me enough to keep the ball deep. Then I started swinging harder and harder with full follow through, finally.
I got my waist into it also to give me more power, now the swing looks like it's supposed to.

To get it restrung is a daunting task for me, so many strings, tensions, hybrids etc.

So to get some help I went to Mark Campanile. An awesome and unbelievably knowledgeable guy. We talked awhile about my game and what I wanted and came up with a solution.

http://www.theracquetman.net/biography.html

So I got 60lb on the mains and crosses.
Main: Pacific x-force 18. 
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2006/08/pacific_xforce_18.html

Crosses: Tecnifibre NRG2 16.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-NRG16.html

It's going to be a couple weeks till I get to try it out and will come back with my results which I'll post.

Well, I took my new setup out for a test run, played 2 matches. There was no difference from the old setup I had, none that I could notice. Possibly the new strings and tension was setup to be the same? If that was the intention then it worked. I guess I'm disappointed, I thought there would be some noticeable positive changes. The good part is that I have to lay into the ball to get some pace on it.

Anyways I'm keeping these strings till spring.
At that time I'll probably get a new racquet as well.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »
Well, I took my new setup out for a test run, played 2 matches. There was no difference from the old setup I had, none that I could notice. Possibly the new strings and tension was setup to be the same? If that was the intention then it worked. I guess I'm disappointed, I thought there would be some noticeable positive changes. The good part is that I have to lay into the ball to get some pace on it.

Anyways I'm keeping these strings till spring.
At that time I'll probably get a new racquet as well.

Sweet.  You know, today I was thinking that alot of the thought we put into strings is mental.  For example, today I played basically not so great, and I was thinking about my strings (too loose, not good enough, the wrong brand).  Then, I turned it around a bit and all of the sudden the strings were great.  Once you dabble in stringing, it becomes mental warfare!  Stringers beware....
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
Sweet.  You know, today I was thinking that alot of the thought we put into strings is mental.  For example, today I played basically not so great, and I was thinking about my strings (too loose, not good enough, the wrong brand).  Then, I turned it around a bit and all of the sudden the strings were great.  Once you dabble in stringing, it becomes mental warfare!  Stringers beware....

I spent a lot of time researching strings, and then just gave up trying to figure it out. Too many strings, in what racquet at what tension etc. I don't want headaches, just to have some fun playing.