Author Topic: VAMOS RAFA !!! (Post match-reviews, pictures,articles, videos etc. about Nadal)  (Read 382515 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
I guess I was wrong about Uncle toni, he's doing a good job. Another coach in retrospect might have derailed Rafa. Kind of got caught up in all the discussions when he was having a dry spell. I always knew he'd so well on clay, now he seems to have a better game all around, it's good news for all of tennis. I think with Djokovic on his heels it lit a fire under him.  :cool:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
I guess I was wrong about Uncle toni, he's doing a good job. Another coach in retrospect might have derailed Rafa. Kind of got caught up in all the discussions when he was having a dry spell. I always knew he'd so well on clay, now he seems to have a better game all around, it's good news for all of tennis. I think with Djokovic on his heels it lit a fire under him.  :cool:

Really! :whistle:  I don't think you were the only one. :rofl_2:

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
Want to just see how stupid some journalist are! :;:-| This was posted on another board:  (It's just amazing what these players are expected to answer!)

And here's feisty Rafa answering, dare I say, stupid question at Queens:
Q: your wife won the women's final are you happy to win as a couple

NADAL; My wife! I'm not married...

Q: I mean your girlfriend Ana

NADAL; She's not my wife, she's not my girlfriend next question please...

I would have loved to have seen the journalist's reaction after those answers.
Nadal said in his blog in Miami about Ana "" she is a very beautiful person ".  :)

Oh god damned I don't want Ana get hooked up with him in any way  :mad1:
and Corretja said at RG that Ana is a member of his tennis club in Barcelona.
Nothing to complain about that..I know that this is Nadal thread but you know,he isn't so much 'popular' in our country... :))
no problem, he is also not popular in this forum!  ;-()

There are a few of us here that think Rafa is amazing. Ana should be so lucky as to hook up with Rafa.  :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Here's a good article on Nadal:

Can Rafael Nadal Become King of Grass, Too?
By TOM PERROTTA
June 20, 2008

Rafael Nadal, Wimbledon champion. Three years ago, it was unthinkable to string those four words together. Nadal lost in the second round at the All England Club in 2005 to Gilles Muller, and looked befuddled doing it. He couldn't return Muller's serve. He couldn't control his forehand or adjust to the low bounces of grass. He seemed out of position, and late to the ball, at every turn.

Rafael Nadal of Spain plays a backhand during the Men's Singles final match against Roger Federer of Switzerland during day thirteen of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 8, 2007 at London, England.

Nadal's transformation since then has been nothing short of miraculous. Wimbledon begins Monday and Nadal, the finalist in each of the last two years, has elevated himself from long shot to co-favorite to win the title, alongside five-time defending champion Roger Federer. At the Queen's Club in London last week, Nadal delivered his best performance on grass, beating the two best servers in tennis — 6-foot-10-inch Ivo Karlovic and Andy Roddick — and world no. 3 Novak Djokovic in successive matches. That's as difficult a draw he's ever faced in any tournament, and he aced it.

Confidence, dedication, and tactics have played equal roles in Nadal's ascent on grass. A win at the French Open always lifts Nadal's spirits, but this year's title in Paris has given him more confidence than ever. He didn't lose a set the entire tournament and lost four games in the final against Federer. Compared to years past, he's better rested, both mentally and physically. His win at Queen's Club will only increase his belief.

As for technique and tactics, Nadal has steadily improved his game in the last three years. Even on clay, he no longer relies on defensive wizardry as he once did. He hits harder, flatter, and deeper forehands from time to time, more often on grass. Nadal's topspin forehand gives opponents fits on clay because it bounces so high. On grass, the topspin has another use: Anyone who approaches the net has to lunge to volley a dipping passing shot. Numerous times in the Queen's Club final, Djokovic popped up a volley and then watched the next shot sail past him.

Nadal's game works well on grass for two other more subtle reasons. His left-handed serve is the weakest part of his game — but grass, as Andy Roddick explained last week, improves it.

"I think the thing that helps him out the most as far as surface is the grass really helps out his serve," Roddick said. "He gets kind of the lefty hook in there. It really stays low. If you leave a return hanging, he's very good at taking that first ball and hitting it."

On hard courts, Nadal's serve sits up and begs to be punished. On grass, it keeps his opponents off balance and gives Nadal room to operate.

Nadal's footwork is perhaps the most important ingredient to his success on grass in recent years. Clay and grass are the sport's slippery surfaces. On clay, players remain balanced by sliding to a stop. Sliding on grass, however, results in stumbles and tumbles. Unlike Djokovic, Nadal rarely loses his balance. On clay, he slides only when necessary and one rarely sees him do it on hard courts. If there's a weakness to Djokovic's game (besides his occasional inability to suppress frustration), it's his body control. A coach of a top player recently described Djokovic to me as "wobbly," a word that perfectly suited the Serb's unbalanced movement in the Queen's Club final. On hard courts, Djokovic can get away with that. On grass, he finds himself out of position.

The paradox of Nadal's ever-improving grass-court game is that among the top three seeds, he remains the most vulnerable to outliers (his serve, though more effective on grass, does not produce many free points, so it's more difficult for him to compensate for lapses in the rest of his game). The earlier part of this tournament might be the trickiest for him, yet once he's into the quarterfinals, he'll be very difficult to beat, perhaps more difficult than Federer and certainly Djokovic. This year, there are fewer early-round threats to Nadal. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who pummeled Nadal at the Australian Open and plays his best tennis on grass, recently had knee surgery. Radek Stepanek may miss the tournament. Tomas Berdych hasn't played well since returning from an injury. Other powerful, go-for-broke players — the kind who trouble Nadal on fast surfaces — are slumping (Richard Gasquet, Marcos Baghdatis, Mikhail Youzhny, and Dmitry Tursunov, to name a few).

With those men either missing or hurting, Nadal should have an easier path when the draw is disclosed today (he might get so lucky as being in the opposite half of the draw as Federer and Djokovic, who could be drawn as potential semifinal opponents). Karlovic could pose a problem for Nadal, and so could a player such as Philipp Kohlschreiber, the high-wire act who lost to Federer in last Sunday's final in Halle, Germany. James Blake has given Nadal trouble before, but he's nowhere near as effective on grass as he is on hard courts. Robin Soderling extended Nadal to five sets at Wimbledon last year, but his mind is no match for the Spaniard's. One could add a few hard-hitting, big-serving youngsters — Ernests Gulbis, Jeremy Chardy, Marin Cilic — to this list, but even then, it's hardly a frightening collection of would-be upset artists.

Federer has won 59 straight matches on grass. If he wins another seven this year, he breaks Bjorn Borg's record of five consecutive Wimbledon titles. If Nadal wins, he'll be the first man to win the French Open and Wimbledon back to back since Borg in 1980. Once again, history is on the line at Wimbledon. This time, though, Federer might not be the one who makes it.

Mr. Perrotta is a senior editor at Tennis magazine. He can be reached at tperrotta@tennismagazine.com.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
For you Nadal fans:

Where am I?
HOME COMMENT Blogs
 Rafael Nadal - Times Online - WBLGRafael Nadal blogs exclusively for timesonline.co.uk during Wimbledon fortnight. Subscribe to a feed of this blog at http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/rss.xmlFriday, June 20, 2008
Back in London and feeling good on grass
 Hi everybody,

I am back in London and back writing this blog. First of all I would like to thank this newspaper for giving me this opportunity to write this blog again here during WIMBLEDON and thanks to all you readers for following me and reading what a non writer like me does. I hope I don't make too many mistakes.

I feel great back here in London, or better if I say at Wimbledon. I had a great week in London after Roland Garros playing at the Artois Championships at Queen's. I didn't think I could win it when I was travelling on the Eurostar (without air conditioning by the way) with my parents and a couple of my team. We went straight from the station to the club to practice and when I first hit my ball the sensations were different. I did feel better on the next day playing doubs and the feeling got better and better every day. So great win, my first title on grass and really looking forward to this year's Wimbledon.

I decided after lifting the trophy to change a bit my plans and went to Mallorca to rest for 3 days. I only got back here to London yesterday and had my first practice at Wimbledon yesterday. As I say I was supposed to come back to London on Monday or Tuesday the latest to start preparing for Wimbledon.

But changed that since I needed 3 days of rest. I have only been at home 8 days in the last 4 months and that's also "thanks" to the fact that I lost 1st round in Rome. Otherwise it would have been only 4 days... Tough. So I needed those 3 days at home, playing golf, being with my family and friends and forgetting a bit about tennis.

I was supposed to play today an exhibition at Hurlingham Club but had to cancel since I did not feel ready to play and could not cheat to the people there. I feel I needed to practice a bit more here and so I decided to cancel that participation.

In any case here we are and l hope you will follow me this Wimbledon.

Thanks. Rafa

03:04 PM in My diary | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0) | Email this post

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Want to just see how stupid some journalist are! :;:-| This was posted on another board:  (It's just amazing what these players are expected to answer!)

And here's feisty Rafa answering, dare I say, stupid question at Queens:
Q: your wife won the women's final are you happy to win as a couple

NADAL; My wife! I'm not married...

Q: I mean your girlfriend Ana

NADAL; She's not my wife, she's not my girlfriend next question please...

just imagine rafa's face answering those questions......hahahahahaha
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Dallas, thanks for those articles.good read indeed.......considering the present form of rafa, i don't feel federer or djokovic or anyone else is the main opponent for rafael in this wimbledon.......the opponents of rafael are fresh grass,rains and an inspired server.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
I'll bet a little Xisca sugar kind of helped him out a bit too! Vamos, Rafa.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
why doesn't xisca come to the court for rafa's matches? is rafa so shy or what?

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
masters series theme-1
 [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-JRBC797s[/youtube]

masters series theme-2
 [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTn1H1sdjP0&feature=related[/youtube]

i like these AMS tunes than the current tunes that are being used since the start of this year.......wish they will change back to these tunes some time in the future during masters series broadcast on TV.......

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!

She does go to many matches, although she doesn't always sit with the family in camera shot, she'll be a bit away with someone else. I think she and Rafa both are attempting to keep their relationship as private as possible and don't want to invite questions about themselves. She is also attenting university, so she has responsibilities to school. She's a hometown beauty tho' and they seem to be very much in love. I hope they live happily ever after when she completes school and he's completed his professional tennis career (or before he's completed the career, that would be good too)!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
b]the opponents of rafael are fresh grass,rains and an inspired server.......[/b]
worst thing is that he will not get top priority in possible rain delays/order of play til QF because Andy Murray is in the same half of the draw.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God

Maybe she finds his matches boring.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!

That's what I thought too  :))
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God

maybe she is too kindhearted to watch the slaughtering that rafa does to others, like he did in the RG final 08......

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God

She does go to many matches, although she doesn't always sit with the family in camera shot, she'll be a bit away with someone else. I think she and Rafa both are attempting to keep their relationship as private as possible and don't want to invite questions about themselves. She is also attenting university, so she has responsibilities to school. She's a hometown beauty tho' and they seem to be very much in love. I hope they live happily ever after when she completes school and he's completed his professional tennis career (or before he's completed the career, that would be good too)!
that's better than sharing the limelight......yes, let's hope so......but it's strange that the cameramen can't find her at least once during the telecast of matches.......

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
b]the opponents of rafael are fresh grass,rains and an inspired server.......[/b]
worst thing is that he will not get top priority in possible rain delays/order of play til QF because Andy Murray is in the same half of the draw.
point! but no worries at all.....our king can fight it out......vamos!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
here's an article from tennis.com, the author's views on the current championships and his predictions......i liked the final prediction straightaway.......

Forecasting the Fortnight
Posted 06/20/2008 @ 3 :16 PM

Did I say the high point of the year was the clay season? Well, I may have to adjust that assessment. Bill Simmons aside, I’m feeling a little more anticipation than usual for Wimbledon this year, both from inside and outside the hardcore tennis-fan community.

That anticipation is all coming from the men’s side, where there’s something of a theme emerging: Namely, is the king dead, and if so, who’s going to bury him? As they have with the clay season, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, with a little help from their cocky little brother, Novak Djokovic, have managed to elevate the drama and importance of even the most prestigious tournament in the world. I wrote a few years ago that the Nadal-Federer rivalry was likely to last because each one has what the other wants: Nadal has Paris, Federer has Wimbledon. It’s what’s still driving both guys, and what’s driving the sport of tennis overall. Here’s hoping they meet again—an entire era of tennis would come to a head if they play again on Centre Court.

There’s nothing quite so dramatic on the women’s side, just another wide-open draw and questions about each of the top contenders.

I’ll be heading to the tournament myself this weekend and blogging from the site through the first week. For now, the draws are out, so let’s see what we might be seeing over the next fortnight. Yes, I said fortnight—it’s that time of year. Savor it.

And if you're down on sportswriters, try reading a few good ones discussing the tournament here.

The Women
First Quarter
Ana Ivanovic has answered all possible questions, doubts, and criticisms so far in 2008, so why not throw another at her: Is she ready to go back to back, something her predecessor at No. 1, Justine Henin, could never pull off. There are some semi-obstacles in her quarter: Cibulkova, Paszek, Schnyder, Szavay, and Chakvetadze, though I wouldn’t pick any of them over Ivanovic, who made the semis here last year. Still, I think one of the big hitters will expose Ivanovic’s not-fully-formed counterpunching abilities later in the tournament.
Darkhorse: Dominika Cibulkova, who has some sporadically good results this year
Semifinalist: Ana Ivanovic

Second Quarter
Serena Williams and Svetlana Kuznetsova are slotted for the quarters here. Neither is completely predictable or reliable, but there’s no one I can find who qualifies as a threat to them. Bartoli is on Serena’s side; Cornet, Li Na, and Radwanska are on Kuznetsova’s. Of those, only Radwanska seems genuinely dangerous; she beat Kuznetsova at the Aussie Open this year. I thought Williams was ready to roll in Paris, but she misfired for two sets. Grass is more her thing; she’s won here before and is 4-1 against Kuznetsova lifetime. The Russian’s athleticism should help her on grass, but she’s never been past the quarters at Wimbledon. That’s not going to change this year.
Darkhorse: Agnieszka Radwanska, a good player who’s slowly getting better
Semifinalist: Serena Williams

Third Quarter
OK, here we have a floater who's a possible threat. Lindsay Davenport, who sat out of Eastbourne last week with a knee injury, is scheduled to meet 5th seed Elena Dementieva—yes, Elena Dementieva is the 5th seed at Wimbledon—in the third round. The winner of that may get Maria Sharapova, the top seed in the section, in the quarters. That is, if Sharapova gets past Dinara Safina, who beat her in Paris on her run to the final. Is Safina ready for a letdown after her superb clay season? This would be the place: She’s never been past the third round at Wimbledon—maybe her brother’s famous grass-court allergies run in the family.
Darkhorse: Nadia Petrova, who's in the final at Eastbourne this weekend; she’s on Sharapova’s side of this quarter.
Semifinalist: Maria Sharapova

Fourth Quarter
This is Venus Williams’ time to shine, and looking at her draw there’s no reason to think she won’t do it again in 2008. That doesn’t mean it will be easy; last year, Venus survived two early-round scares before she found her game in a big way. Are Sania Mirza, Flavia Pennetta, or Daniela Hantuchova capable of finishing her off if she has a bad day? In theory, yes, but I’m not going to bet against Venus at Wimbledon anymore. Her quarterfinal opponent may be Jelena Jankovic, the No. 2 seed—yes, Jelena Jankovic is the No. 2 seed at Wimbledon—but I don’t think grass is a good surface for the counterpunching Serb against Venus.
Darkhorse: Caroline Wozniacki, who played some good tennis in Eastbourne and is slotted to face Jankovic in the third round, unless of course she’s upset by her Canadian doppleganger, Aleksandra Wozniak, in the second
Semifinalist: Venus Williams

Semifinals: Ivanovic d. S. Williams; V. Williams d. Sharapova
Final: V. Williams d. Ivanovic

The Men
First Quarter

Long live the king, for the moment. His draw isn't easy, but there’s no standout spoiler in there either. Soderling has given him trouble in the past, and he might see him in the round; Monfils, in the third round, should be at his bizarre best on grass; Lleyton Hewitt has won the tournament; and Fernando Gonzalez, a potential fourth-rounder, has beaten Federer within the last year. And those guys are all in his half of this quarter. The bottom half looks pretty barren from here—Ferrer, Berdych, Ancic, Llodra are the most interesting names. Like Sampras before him, Federer is a new man each year on grass, and I expect that once he’s whipped off a couple straight-setters, he’ll have his old confidence back. If he gets Djokovic in the semis, sparks are going to fly. My prediction: Federer shows real anger. And wins.
First-round match to watch: Ancic vs. Llodra
Spoiler: Robin Soderling, who could get Federer before he’s rolling, in the second round.
Semifinalist: Roger Federer

Second Quarter
So, in case you haven’t heard, Novak Djokovic is in Federer’s half this time—don’t you just want to skip ahead to that one right now? First, Djoko’s got to get past a pair of heavy hitters, Berrer and Safin, in the first two rounds, and potentially another, Wawrinka, in the fourth. The bottom half features the lucky 10th seed, Marcos Baghdatis, and that guy again, David Nalbandian—why does that name make everyone smile and shake their heads these days? I wouldn’t be shocked if the quarterfinal pitted Djokovic against a surprisingly tough grass-courter, Feliciano Lopez.
First-round match to watch: Marcos Baghdatis vs. Steve Darcis, two solid ball-strikers
Spoiler: Ivo Karlovic—always annoying, but he lives too dangerously to win a bunch of matches in a row at a Slam.
Semifinalist: Novak Djokovic

Third Quarter
Not getting bumped up in the seedings worked out pretty well for Andy Roddick. He ended up across from Nikolay Davydenko, and in a soft-looking section of that quarter to boot—Roddick's fourth-round opponent might be James Blake. The question is: Who’s coming out of the other side? I refuse to bet on Davydenko, but that leaves, who? Mathieu? Ljubicic? I'm glad I don’t have to pick that one, because I think Roddick will beat whomever it is.
First-round match to watch: For Americans, Donald Young vs. Jesse Levine; for connoisseurs of the sour, Dmitry Tursunov vs. Nicolas Mahut
Spoiler: Jeremy Chardy—because the French can play on grass, and because I hope he doesn’t disappear
Semifinalist: Andy Roddick

Fourth Quarter
The match that must stick out to everyone right away is a potential second-rounder between Rafael Nadal and Ernests Gulbis. The Latvian Lip has to get past a theoretically-dangerous-on-grass John Isner. If he does, this will be a tricky one for Nadal. Gulbis serves big, goes for broke, and won't be intimidated—they must have a class in self-confidence at the Pilic Academy. Grass should hide Gulbis' weakness, the inconsistency of his forehand. Then again, the long swing he uses there is exploitable, if Nadal can get it there with pace. (Which he obviously can.) After that, Rafa has semi-tests against Kiefer and his old friend Youzhny. Not an easy draw, but Nadal is lucky that his potential quarterfinal opponent is Richard Gasquet, who could go down in the first round to Mardy Fish. Either way, Nadal will get stronger as he goes. This is his best chance so far to win the tournament he wants more than any other, and he’s going to start to taste it during the second week. We'll see how he reacts; he's got a pretty good track record of holding up under maximum pressure so far.
First-round match to watch: Fabrice Santoro vs. Andy Murray—this is about as crafty and exasperating as tennis gets. Fabrice, who’s playing his last Wimbledon, should get his wish and be granted a chance to play on Centre Court for the first time.
Spoiler: Sebastien Grosjean—does he have one more run to the quarters in him?
Semifinalist: Rafael Nadal

Semifinals: Federer d. Djokovic; Nadal d. Roddick
Final: Nadal d. Federer

for the source, visit http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2008/06/forecasting-the.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by shankar21 »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
point! but no worries at all.....our king can fight it out......vamos!
he starts on tuesday! and he will be the last of the top 3 to play in possible rain delays.
he has preserved his tank full for this wimby......come what may, bring more! he cries!!! 

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Rafa made the front page of people.com :yahoo:

Tennis Hotshot Rafael Nadal Has a Secret Girlfriend

Wimbledon is about to begin – but female fans of Rafael Nadal have one less reason to cheer this year.

Turns out the supposedly single tennis ace has a long-running love match with a girl from his hometown of Majorca. In fact, the 22-year-old has reportedly been dating Maria Francisca Perello for three years – and the two were recently photographed frolicking in the surf.

"My nephew always maintained he was single," the jock's trainer and uncle Toni Nadal tells Britain's Mail on Sunday. "It was a well-kept secret but actually his girlfriend is waiting for him in Majorca."

He added, "I guess a lot of girls will be upset to know the truth."

They have to be the cutest couple. :wub: But this isn't a surprise to me.. at least, his big fans know Xisca.