Author Topic: VAMOS RAFA !!! (Post match-reviews, pictures,articles, videos etc. about Nadal)  (Read 391258 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
WOW! I did not see Rafa losing that one :( he really did just use this tournament as a vacation. Now if only he could pull the plug on Tokyo next week!

No, he was playing well and he really wanted to win this match. It was just... an accident.

He was playing well today yes. But his preparation was a vacation right before the tournament and then a day before his first match at 200km trip to plant some flowers for some event over there, that's not the preparation of somebody who is 110% committed to the tournament, and nobody can blame Rafa for that, I'd just like to see him off next week now before Shanghai but doesn't seem as though it will happen.
:Confused:  That just makes no sense to me.
We can only hope that he is doing the best he can to enjoy family, life, and tennis.

I agree a longer break after the Open seems to make the most sense to many fans.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
We can speculate, but the fact is that if he had made one of those break opportunities in the second set, now we would be talking about how well is playing in this fast surface and how unbeatable he seems.

Of course, this is not a major, nor a M1000, but 99 times out of a 100 he would have won this match, so I don't think we have to find a logical explanation for what happened, 'cause I guess there isn't any.
Afreed.
It illustrates how some points in a match are just more important than others.
Usually Nadal seizes the opportunity in those instances.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Simkim

• Tennis Addict
Despite the fact that Nadal should have won this match, we also got to give credit to García López, he held himself pretty well and played some great points in the key moments.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
We can speculate, but the fact is that if he had made one of those break opportunities in the second set, now we would be talking about how well is playing in this fast surface and how unbeatable he seems.

Of course, this is not a major, nor a M1000, but 99 times out of a 100 he would have won this match, so I don't think we have to find a logical explanation for what happened, 'cause I guess there isn't any.
Afreed.
It illustrates how some points in a match are just more important than others.
Usually Nadal seizes the opportunity in those instances.

let's talk about the second set.
I was quite sleepy and don't remember too well but that was how the match unfolded:
GGL starts the 2nd set with no confidence, Rafa has at least 10 break points in the the first 3 games with GGL serving. he doesn't break because he makes two many unforced errors. This gave confidence to GGL who starts to save break points with winners and big serve.
the turning point, at 3-4, Rafa has triple break points, 0-40 to break and serve for the match. GGL saves all of them with big winners and Rafa is very frustated, he looks to his box and uncle Toni is not there. He has no clue what to do in order to break, he is not reading the serve of GGL. GGL takes control of the match at 4-4, excellent striking the ball and with big serves. Rafa will not have more break points, 16 bp in the 2nd set,  Rafa just 2 points away from victory at 54 and 65 but GGL holds serve. The momentum has shifted, then comes the tie break, GGL races to a 4-1 lead and plays a great tb while Rafa is becoming more and more frustated. The set last more than 1 hour.
third set, Rafa is the one struggling with confidence and starts to have trouble in his service games. GGL is in full control, no more break points chances for Rafa in the entire set and GGL is so lucky than he breaks in his only bp of the match. that's enough, Rafa has no clue what to do in order to get back in the match and GGL wins playing an excellent 3rd set.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:22:14 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
He was playing well today yes. But his preparation was a vacation right before the tournament and then a day before his first match at 200km trip to plant some flowers for some event over there, that's not the preparation of somebody who is 110% committed to the tournament, and nobody can blame Rafa for that, I'd just like to see him off next week now before Shanghai but doesn't seem as though it will happen.

that's not correct, Rafa arrived to Thailand on wednesday, september 22, spent 6 days on vacations with friends in Hua Hin, during those days he visited some budhist monks and made the plantation of the tree/flower in Hua Hin, same place than his luxury hotel. Then he went to Bangkok on tuesday for his 1st practise session, hitting with Monaco. His first match was on Thursday.
The big party time was at Manacor just after the USO, in Thailand he was just relaxing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:11:38 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Nadal vs Garcia-Lopez, 6-2, 6-7 (3), 3-6 in 2h43', 2nd set tb!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjRCCRzgnig[/youtube]

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Rafa Nadal, our Golden Career Slam Champion in Tokyo!! :cool:

Rafael Nadal is welcomed to Tokyo by Japanese actress Maiko Ito.

1st round, Nadal Makes Tokyo Debut, Works Hard To Beat Giraldo

Rafael Nadal, the first ATP World Tour No. 1 to compete at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships since Roger Federer won the 2006 title, was forced to work hard on his Tokyo debut Tuesday.

The top seed defeated Colombia’s Santiago Giraldo 6-4, 6-4, hitting four aces and saving all four break points he faced for victory in one hour and 50 minutes. Giraldo, a two-time quarter-finalist this year, struck eight aces past Nadal in the pair’s first meeting since March 2008 at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

"I started a few games at 0-30, he was playing very aggressive," said Nadal. "I was also a little bit tired, not a lot of energy today."

Last week in his first event since completing the career Grand Slam at the US Open, Nadal lost to Spanish compatriot Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the PTT Thailand Open semi-finals in Bangkok.

Nadal has compiled a 62-8 match record on the season, highlighted by six titles including Roland Garros (d. Soderling), Wimbledon (d. Berdych) and the US Open (d. Djokovic).

All eyes were on Rafael Nadal Tuesday on his Tokyo debut.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:31:49 AM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
2nd round, Raonic No Pushover For Nadal

Canadian qualifier Milos Raonic proved to be no pushover for World No. 1 Rafael Nadal on Thursday at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships.

Nadal saved four break points at 2-3 in the second set, before raising his level to win three of the next four games to complete a 6-4, 6-4 victory in 73 minutes over the 19 year old, who will become Canada’s top player – just out the Top 150 – on Monday. Sumo wrestler Hakuho Sho conducted the coin toss ahead of the match.

"It was a good win for me against a difficult player," said Nadal. "He can become a very good player. I don't know when, but he will be very close to the top positions. I was under big pressure to break his serve, I did very well to convert two out of two break points."

Nadal is looking to win his 43rd tour-level title at the ATP World Tour 500 hard-court tournament this week. He has an ATP World Tour-best 63-8 match record on the season, highlighted by three Grand Slam championship titles at Roland Garros (d. Soderling), Wimbledon (d. Berdych) and the US Open (d. Djokovic).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:35:12 AM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Rafa Nadal in the quarterfinals of Tokyo!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKuVrN4zNQs[/youtube]

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Quarterfinals, Nadal curbs Tursunov resurgence

ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal curbed Dmitry Tursunov’s resurgence in form Friday as he defeated the former Top 20 player 6-4, 6-1 to reach the semi-finals at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfsdW3gSaE[/youtube]

The Spaniard, who is making his debut at the ATP World Tour 500 hard-court tennis tournament, squandered an early 4-2 lead in the first set, but broke again in the ninth game before closing out a one-set lead. He then raced through the second set, winning six straight games from 0-1 down to seal victory in 72 minutes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT2jK8ieeZ8&translated=1[/youtube]

“I played a good match, but he also made more mistakes after losing the first set,” assessed Nadal. “It's good for the confidence to keep winning after taking an important title like the US Open. When I go on court and I see a full stadium like here today, it is very nice. It is good for everyone.”

The 27-year-old Tursunov, who made his return to the tour at Roland Garros following two left ankle surgeries, was contesting his first ATP World Tour quarter-final of the season after wins over No. 7 seed Ernests Gulbis and Richard Gasquet. The Russian has won just three ATP World Tour matches this season and has fallen to No. 432 in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings.

In stark contrast, Nadal improved to a 64-8 match record on the season and is two wins away from winning his seventh tour-level title of the year, the 43rd of his career. The 24 year old, whose recent US Open victory saw him become the seventh man in the history of the sport to win the career Grand Slam, has already qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in November.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:00:00 AM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Semifinal, Nadal Saves 2 M.P., Plays Monfils In Tokyo Final

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal saved two match points to beat Viktor Troicki 7-6(4), 4-6, 7-6(7) in two hours and 39 minutes Saturday for a place in the final of the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships. The Spaniard now has a 55-4 season record against players outside the Top 10.

World No. 54 Troicki came within two points of victory at 6-5, 30-15 in the third set, having recovered from 3-5 down, and squandered match point opportunities at 6-5 and 7-6 in the tie-break. The Serbian, who saved one match point against Jurgen Melzer in the second round, hit 26 aces and won 74 per cent of service points.

"It is frustrating, even if I won the second round here after being match point down," said Troicki. "I still think it was a great match from both of us."

Nadal, who hit 18 aces, converted two of four break point opportunities to improve his ATP World Tour-best match record to 65-8 on the season. He takes a 6-1 record over France's Gael Monfils into his eighth tour-level final of the year (6-1).

"The match was very close, he played well the whole time," reflected Nadal. "The worst part of the match was when I lost my serve serving for the match; I was not happy with how I played the last few games. But the important thing was that I got the win this time, unlike last week in the Bangkok semi-finals [against Guillermo Garcia-Lopez]. Maybe [that experience] also affected me a bit today."

Looking ahead to the meeting with Monfils, Nadal said: "Gael is one of the best players in the world, big serve and [he is] one of the fastest players."

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:13:11 AM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Nadal vs Troicki :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7Vy5edYXw[/youtube]

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Nadal Wins Seventh Title Of Year   :))

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal won his seventh tour-level title of the season, and the 43rd of his career, Sunday as he defeated Gael Monfils 6-1, 7-5 in the final of the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships in Tokyo.

The Spaniard improved to a 7-1 record in finals this season, with his only defeat coming in Doha (l. to Davydenko) in January. He completed a clean sweep of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay-court tournaments in Monte-Carlo, Rome and Madrid, before winning three successive majors at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open.

"Every tournament is very important; it is nice to win another big title like this one," said Nadal. "I won a lot this year but I have to appreciate how difficult it is and how much hard work you have to do. I improved a lot my serve and it is a big thing on a surface as quick as here in Tokyo."

Nadal dropped only one set during his debut appearance at the ATP World Tour 500 hard-court tennis tournament in Tokyo; he was forced to save two match points in a third-set tie-break against Viktor Troicki in the semi-finals. The Mallorcan is the fourth player this year to win an ATP World Tour title having saved a match point at some stage during the tournament, following Nikolay Davydenko (Doha), John Isner (Auckland) and Sam Querrey (Belgrade, Los Angeles).

The 24-year-old Nadal, who has already secured his place at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, earned 500 South African Airways 2010 ATP Ranking points and $261,500 in prize money.

In his eighth meeting with Monfils, Nadal recorded his seventh victory over the Frenchman. The top seed raced to a one-set lead, breaking serve in the second and sixth games. Monfils was stronger on serve in the second set, hitting seven aces as he kept Nadal at bay, but the Spaniard was able to convert his only break point in the 11th game and served out victory in 77 minutes.

"Gael is a great player; I played very well today and that's why I won," said Nadal. "I wasn't really tired after the semi-final [against Troicki]. [Gael] beat me before in Doha in 2009 and we had other tough matches."

Nadal improved his ATP World Tour-best match record to 66-8 (35-7 on hard court) this season. The left-hander was playing in his second tournament since victory at the US Open, where he became the seventh man in ATP World Tour history to complete the career Grand Slam. Last week he reached the semi-finals in Bangkok (l. to Garcia-Lopez).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:10:17 AM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Nadal enjoying holidays with friends in Thailand, the mansion was a gift of the Thai event organisers! one night there costs 5000 euros :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ib9yhl4Xo[/youtube]

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Rafa with the trophy in Tokyo!!! :cool:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Tokyo Final, Nadal d. Monfils 61 75 in 77 minutes  :)

Nadal entering on the Ariake Coliseum!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSxyIws0Og[/youtube]

highlights!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6T0Sjrj-8&translated=1[/youtube]

last game!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_TEbVRKGrU&translated=1[/youtube]

trophy presentation!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4l5xX1znds&translated=1[/youtube]

interview!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XFZ_4ms-E&translated=1[/youtube]

BRAVO RAFA!!!!!!!  :)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
to celebrate Rafa's title, a great video with a collection of truly great points by Rafa!  :)) fantastic!   ://

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-hUixML7Iw&translated=1[/youtube]

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro

Vamos Rafa. 7 titles and counting. Where does it end?  :)~

Rafa amazes me daily.  :gleam:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Fan, Thank you so much for all those great pictures!!!  :cool:

I forget the websites where you can find recent pictures, I was using them in the deleted Simon player forum!   :(

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Look at this video at the end (after the lady comes on).  Shows that Roger and Rafa are great friends.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMCOUEL8Avc [/youtube]