Author Topic: VAMOS RAFA !!! (Post match-reviews, pictures,articles, videos etc. about Nadal)  (Read 374750 times)

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
Congratulations to rafa, what a match today! This guy is absolutely amazing, you cant assume a thing with this fellow. We are used to see this thing with rafa, but not in the masters cup against the andy´s.
I wont say that he will win tomorrow because its not cool being a fed fan too, but I cant see how he can loose, murray was the one I thought it could but, it wasnt. Also when Im watching him im thinking that even with a great shot from the opponent, he will get it, and that left arm will surely put the ball on the other side again. 

This was a year of first times for rafa, why not the WTF too?

Congratulations again, a pleasure to see a match like today. Hope tomorrow we´ll have something like that.

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro

And for last... My favourite moment of this season:

Thank you Rafa.  :cool:

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Some awesome photos posted here, mate! Thanks again, to Rafa, for the sensational play throughout the year!!

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
All Davis Cup R1 News

Nadal returns to action against Belgium

MARCA
Nadal is the number one Spaniard at Charleroi against Belgium, from March 4 - 6 as he has promised the captain Albert Costa

A Rafael Nadal, after completing the Grand Slam in New York, he just need the Masters Cup and TMS of Cincinnati, Shanghai and Paris as attractive challenges still missing on his "titles." But for now, the Spaniard has been re-aligned in the Davis Cup in 2011, after having been low in five of the last seven rounds.

Nadal is the number one Spanish at Charleroi against Belgium, from March 4 to 6 . So he has promised the captain Albert Costa and therefore will take a month off from circuit tournaments between Australia and Indian Wells.

The return of the Balearic Islands is one less problem for the coach, who only has to call three others to accompany him. Costa, who has been following his players in Valencia and in the masters tournament in London will travel to Melbourne Park in January before making the first call of the year. In the captains' meeting he will propose the presence of Hawkeye in qualifying for fast indoor courts.

Nadal: a private plane to play the Davis

AS.com

Rafa Nadal will defend the colors of Spain in the Davis Cup tie against Belgium in March. The Federation and the number one team in the world have devised a plan so he can keep the appointment with the national team, without interfering too much in his tournament schedule.

From 4 to 6 March, in Charleroi, Spain will play against Belgium's first round World Group Davis Cup 2011. The president of the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET), José Luis Escañuela, and captain, Albert Costa, confirmed to AS that the participation of Rafael Nadal, world number one, is guaranteed by the Spanish team in the indoor event the Spiroudome in Charleroi, presumably on track very quickly. "Always, leaving aside the risks of any injury" qualifies Albert Costa.

"Talks with Nadal and his team are closed. There is a total agreement and Rafa will play in Charleroi, low points and closed and agreed upon. Be integrated in the team and, if we have won all three points and the tie is resolved Saturday, Rafa will have a private plane at his disposition to fly to the U.S. spring season tournaments," advised Escañuela, who spoke face to face with Nadal in London.

Indian Wells.

The first Masters U.S. 1,000 of the spring season at Indian Wells (Palm Springs, California, hard court) begins just after the initial Davis Cup qualifying. Nadal in Indian Wells defends the 360 points in the semifinal of 2010 when he was defeated by Ljubicic. Date on which these points fall in the ranking: 21/03/2011.

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
Rafa's Confirmed 2011 Schedule

Nadal returns to action against Belgium

On the road:

Doha (January 3)

AO (January 17-30)

DC (March 4-6)

IW (March 7-20)

Miami (March 21-Apr 3)

Monte Carlo (April 11-17)

Barcelona (April 18-24)

Madrid (May 2-8)

Rome (May 9-15)

RG (May 23-June 5)

Queens (June 6-12)

Wimbledon (June 20-July3)

#

* Rogers Cup
    * Toronto, Canada
    * Hard

#

* W&SF Group Masters
    * Cincinnati, U.S.A
    * Hard

#

* US Open
    * New York, U.S.A.
    * Hard

#

* Rakuten Japan Open Tennis
    * Tokyo, Japan
    * Hard

#

* Shanghai Rolex Masters
    * Shanghai, China
    * Hard

#

* BNP Paribas Masters
    * Paris, France
    * Hard

Vamos Rafa!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:12:30 AM by fan »

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
STAGE SET FOR EPIC ENCOUNTERS AS DRAW IS ANNOUNCED FOR MUBADALA WORLD TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
Berdych, Bagdatis, Soderling and Tsonga to Entertain Abu Dhabi on a Thrilling Opening Day

The draw for Abu Dhabi has been released and Rafa will play either Tomas Berydch or Marcos Baghdatis on December 31 at 5 pm local time which is 8 am EST.

Full Schedule

Mubadala World Tennis Championship
US$ 250,000 (Winner Takes All)
Venue: Abu Dhabi International Tennis Complex
The draw (World ranking in parenthesis):
December 30
3.00 pm - Marcos Baghdatis (20) vs Tomas Berdych (6)
5.00 pm - Robin Soderling (5) vs Jo-Wilfred Tsonga (13)
December 31
3.00 pm- Roger Federer (2) vs (Winner of Soderling-Tsonga tie)
5.00 pm- Rafael Nadal (1) vs (Winner of Baghdatis vs Berdych tie)
January 1, 2011
3.00 pm - Third place match
5.00 pm Final

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
RAFA UP FOR LAUREUS AND USSA AWARDS

12 04 2010, SPAIN

After enjoying the best season in his career yet, Rafa Nadal has been honoured with two nominations in two of the world’s most prestigious sports awards.

First up, the world No.1 joins a host of world class sportsmen challenging for the prestigious 2011 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award. He faces stiff competition from the likes of Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, Formula 1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel and footballers Lionel Messi, Diego Forlan and Andres Iniesta (among others) but you will have to wait till early January to find out the names of the six nominees.

The chosen six will then be voted upon by the Laureus Media Selection Panel and the winner, chosen by the Laureus World Sports Academy, will then be unveiled during a televised Awards Ceremony in Abu Dhabi on Monday, 7 February.

AMERICA'S SPORTS UNIVERSITY AWARDS
Rafa is also one of the twelve nominees up for the 2010 United States Sports Academy (USSA) Male Athlete of the Year Award, USSA has announced in their website.

Sharing the honor alongside Rafa is Pound for pound king and Philippine congressman Manny Pacquiao, Drew Brees of the United States, the New Orleans quarterback who helped won the Saints' first ever Super Bowl; Kobe Bryant (US, basketball) of the NBA world champions Los Angeles Lakers; Ashton Eaton (US, track and field) who set a world record in heptathlon; Roy Halladay (US, baseball) who threw a perfect game in the regular season; Jimmie Johnson (US, auto racing) who won his fifth consecutive NASCAR championship; Phil Meckelson (US, golf) who won the 2010 Masters and his 4th major championship; Cameron Newton (US, college football) who led Auburn to a 12-0 record; David Rudisha (Kenya, track and field) who broke the world record in 800 meters twice; David Villa (Spain, soccer) who powered Spain to the FIFA world cup title; and Shaun White (US, snowboarding/skateboarding) who won the gold medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Both awards are a huge recognition for the world No.1, who this year has won six titles, including three successive Grand Slam championships at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open. His victory at Flushing Meadows saw him become the seventh man to win the career Grand Slam. He finished the season as runner-up at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

2010 TITLES BREAKDOWN

•   Japan Open (Outdoor/Hard)
•   ATP Grand Slam - US Open (Outdoor/Hard)
•   ATP Grand Slam - Wimbledon (Outdoor/Grass)
•   ATP Grand Slam - Roland Garros (Outdoor/Clay)
•   ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (Outdoor/Clay)
•   ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (Outdoor/Clay)
•   ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (Outdoor/Clay)

Voting is open now for the United States Sports Academy male and female athletes of the year.

The voting runs through Dec and you can vote for Rafa here:

http://ussa.edu/ballots/athlete-of-the-year/

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
Nadal To Model For Armani

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal is set to follow in the footsteps of football stars David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo by modeling for Italian designer Giorgio Armani.

It was announced by the fashion house on Friday that the 24-year-old Spaniard will be the global testimonial for Emporio Armani Underwear and Armani Jeans for the spring/summer 2011 collections. The first campaign to feature Nadal will launch in February.

The Spaniard is currently preparing for the 2011 ATP World Tour season and next week will join forces with Roger Federer for two special exhibition matches in Zurich and Madrid to benefit the Roger Federer Foundation and the Rafa Nadal Foundation. (Watch the Nadal-Federer exhibitions live.)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/12/Other/Nadal-To-Model-For-Armani.aspx

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
Rafa Nadal named 2010 ITF World Champion

12 14 2010, Spain

Press Release by the ITF - The ITF announced today that Rafael Nadal (ESP) and Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) are the 2010 ITF World Champions. This is the second time Nadal has been honoured, while Wozniacki becomes the first Danish player to receive a senior ITF award.

Bob and Mike Bryan (USA) are named Men’s Doubles World Champions for a record seventh occasion, while Gisela Dulko (ARG) and Flavia Pennetta (ITA) become Women’s Doubles World Champions for the first time.

Youth Olympic champions Juan Sebastian Gomez (COL) and Daria Gavrilova (RUS) are the 2010 ITF Junior World Champions, while the ITF Wheelchair World Champions are Esther Vergeer (NED) and Shingo Kunieda (JPN). Vergeer becomes world champion for a remarkable 11th successive year, while Kunieda wins the award for the fourth year running.

The ITF World Champions will receive their awards at the annual ITF World Champions Dinner on Tuesday 31 May, in Paris, during Roland Garros.

Rafael Nadal became only the seventh man in history to win a career Grand Slam when he won the US Open trophy in September. The 24-year-old also captured his fifth Roland Garros title and second Wimbledon crown to regain the year-end No. 1 ranking from Roger Federer. With an Olympic gold medal and two Davis Cup titles to his name, the Spaniard has now won all of tennis’s major prizes.

Nadal said: "It is an honour to be named ITF World Champion for the second time. After a difficult year in 2009, it was an amazing feeling to regain the No. 1 ranking and finally win the US Open. My goal all the time is to keep improving and be a better player each year than I was the previous year."

Caroline Wozniacki became the fourth-youngest woman after Martina Hingis, Monica Seles and Steffi Graf to earn the year-end No. 1 ranking. The 20-year-old was the most consistent player on the circuit, earning a tour-high six titles, in Ponte Vedra, Copenhagen, Montreal, New Haven, Tokyo and Beijing. She is the first World Champion from Denmark since Kristian Pless was named Boys World Champion in 1999.

Wozniacki said: “What an honour it is to be named ITF World Champion. To be listed with all the former ITF World Champions is something I am really proud of. I had a great year in 2010 and I’m training hard to have an even better year in 2011. I’m already looking forward to the ceremony in Paris.”

ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti said: “This has been another memorable year for tennis, culminating in Serbia’s triumph in the Davis Cup Final. Rafael Nadal has proved himself to be one of the greatest competitors in the sport’s history, while Caroline Wozniacki has shown a strong determination and continuous commitment to the game to earn the women’s No. 1 ranking at such a young age.”

Bob and Mike Bryan are Men’s Doubles World Champions for the seventh time in eight years. The brothers won 11 titles without losing in a final, including two Grand Slam successes at the Australian Open and US Open. By winning their 62nd title in Los Angeles in August, they set a new record for career doubles titles won by a team, and went on to improve this figure to 67 by the end of 2010.

Bob Bryan said: “It is a great honour to receive another World Champions award from the ITF. Our goal is to perform our best at the most important tournaments and to be given this award for 2010 means we accomplished this goal. We want to thank everyone at the ITF who work hard to improve our sport and look forward to another awards banquet.”

Gisela Dulko (ARG) and Flavia Pennetta (ITA) enjoyed an outstanding year in their first full season together, winning seven titles including the WTA Championships. In the process they established a winning streak of 17 matches, the longest on the tour for three years. Dulko follows compatriot Paola Suarez, who was Doubles World Champion between 2002-04, while Pennetta also helped Italy win its second successive Fed Cup title.

Dulko said: "I don't have words to express my joy. I still can't believe it. I think I'll realise what we achieved in the future. This year we didn't expect to end the year being No. 1, but I am sure that we earned it. We were consistent in many tournaments."

Pennetta added: “To be named Women's Doubles World Champions by the ITF is a great honour for me and Gisela. This prestigious award is the crowning achievement of a fantastic year lived with a great friend.”

The ITF’s selection of its senior World Champions is based on an objective system that considers not only performances in the Grand Slam tournaments and respective tours, but also gives weight to performances in the two ITF international team competitions, Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas.

Juan Sebastian Gomez is the first ITF World Champion from Colombia after enjoying a breakthrough at the inaugural Youth Olympic Tennis Event in Singapore, where he won the singles gold medal. In a year when the four majors were won by different boys, the 18-year-old from Bogota edged them all out for the year-end No. 1 ranking. Gomez also won the Grade 1 Banana Bowl in Brazil and three doubles titles.

Gomez said: “Winning the Olympic gold medal and hearing the Colombian national anthem on the podium is something that I will always remember but cannot describe with words. As world champion, I have the confidence to keep working hard to achieve my ultimate goal of being the number one player on the tour.”

Daria Gavrilova is Russia’s first world champion since 2006 after saving her best performances for the biggest events to secure the year-end No. 1 ranking. The 16-year-old won the Youth Olympic Tennis Event unseeded and went on to capture her first Grand Slam title at the US Open. Gavrilova also led Russia to a successful title defence at the Junior Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals.

Gavrilova said: “I'm really proud to be the 2010 Junior World Champion after the most successful year in my career. When I claimed the junior No. 1 spot after winning the Youth Olympic Games, my only goal was to keep this position and win a Grand Slam title. I'm really happy I reached all my goals after working really hard.”

Esther Vergeer won a remarkable 400th successive singles match en route to the year-end No. 1 wheelchair tennis ranking for the 11th consecutive year. Despite playing a reduced schedule, she won all five singles tournaments contested, including Roland Garros, US Open and NEC Masters. Unbeaten since January 2003, the 29-year-old was honoured in the opening night ceremony at the US Open.

Vergeer said: “I did not expect to become the No. 1 again, especially because this was a year where I did not play a lot of tournaments. But the results I had this year were very good again. Working with Sven Groeneveld is putting new motivation and a new level of tennis in me.”

Shingo Kunieda secured the year-end No. 1 wheelchair tennis ranking for the fourth year running. The 26-year-old has captured six singles titles in 2010, including all three Grand Slam singles events. His three-year unbeaten streak of 106 matches was ended in the semifinals of the NEC Masters, but he remains the dominant figure in the men’s game.

Kunieda said: “I am very honoured to be world champion four years in a row. I could only achieve it because of my all supporters. I would like to keep working hard and continue to improve my tennis.”

ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti said: “I would like to pay tribute to all the ITF World Champions for 2010, who have contributed to another successful year for the sport.

Courtesy of the ITF

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/content/rafa-nadal-named-2010-itf-world-champion

Facebook pics...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:03:12 PM by fan »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
What's amazing to me is how quickly Nadal started breaking/setting records on clay. This is what I've come up with so far.

at the 2005-2006 clay court season Rafa first started breaking/setting new records:
* youngest ever to win the MC/Barcelona/Rome/RG quadruple(Muster was 27 when he did it)
* best undefeated start to a career on best-of-5 clay
* beating Vilas cc streak
* winning the MC/Barcelona/Rome/RG quadruple a 2nd time(Muster had done it in 1995)
* winning the MC/Barcelona/Rome/RG quadruple a 2nd consecutive time
* best RG start to a career 14-0, beating Wilander's 13-1

maybe there is more he did in 2006 that I'm not aware of. I know from 07 on he would set many more records, but 2006 kicked it off.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
I can't wait for the start of the season. In the meantime you can check out Rafa doing his christmas dance...  :))

http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/bLrgmeEQKYlgPjm13pe6

On a serious note...

RAFA IS SPANISH ATHLETE OF THE YEAR

12 28 2010, Mallorca, Spain

Rafa Nadal wins 3 Grand Slams after suffering a knee injury – ‘Dedication, sportsmanship, hard work, will, humility, sacrifice, and discipline”, those are his values.

“I see a universal Spaniard”, said Julio Iglesias before triggering a huge round of applause. This beautiful phrase was spoken last Wednesday evening during a gala in Madrid at the ‘Palacio de Cibeles’, and it was referring to an incredible man, Rafa Nadal.

The Spanish tennis player won Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open in 2010. He re-claimed the No.1 ranking and at 24, he became the youngest tennis player ever to win all Grand Slams. When we asked fellow sportsmen who they thought was the ‘Spaniard of the year’, they all chose Rafa Nadal.

During the last couple of weeks alone he has been honored by the BBC, and the ATP. But the interesting thing is, all of that success and accolades, all those celebrations and praise only cover a small percentage of his persona, the athlete. What truly makes Rafa and amazing man is what he does when he’s not winning, when his life has turned ugly.

During Julio Iglesias’ speech, at the gala organized by the Rafa Nadal foundation, a beautiful video of the world No.1 was showcased in huge screens for the evening’s special guests. From politicians, to fashion icons, sport stars and celebrities, they all stared intensely at the screen as the footage rarely showed Rafa’s victories, but instead, it focused on the challenges he has had to endure during his career. Multiple injuries, his quarterfinal loss against Robin Soderling at Roland Garros, his quarterfinal withdrawal at the 2010 Australian Open when he was playing against Andy Murray, the times when everything around him was full of doubts and no one believed he could win again.

Then it all turned into silence as the following words appeared; ‘Dedication, sportsmanship, hard work, will, humility, sacrifice, and discipline”. - True success doesn’t come from winning.
That was the message Rafa wanted to send.

Success comes from your values. They have helped him overcome his most difficult adversities and have played a key role in building a legendary career. Success, the world No.1 explained, doesn’t come in the shape of trophies; it comes from taking chances.

Behind each and every one of his biggest victories there has been a philosophical approach. The day he won his first Grand Slam (Roland Garros), instead of letting his new found fame and tennis status get to his head, he followed his coach (and uncle) Toni Nadal’s advice to practice first thing in the morning to go over everything he had done wrong and needed to improve.

From an early age, Rafa has been taught the art of appreciation, hard work, and humility. His coach and family have always reminded him that being good at playing tennis doesn’t make him a hero. “No, that is a term reserved for those who risk their lives in order to save others,” Uncle Toni once said. “Just because he can hit a yellow fluffy ball over a net well doesn’t make him any better than anyone else,” and he knows that.

It is perhaps that kind of upbringing that has allowed him to value the unique opportunity he has to help change other people’s lives. In 2009, Luzzi, an Italian player died of leukemia. “I spoke to Rafa”, said Paula, his mother. “about how we could help sick people like my son get looked after from home instead of the hospital.” “He kindly used his image to support the Foundation, donated one of his racquets for auction, and made a monetary contribution”. That’s where he started, and not long ago he opened up a school in Anantapur (India).

He has a huge challenge ahead of him in a few weeks, if he wins the Australian Open, he will become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four Grand Slams in a row. But when talking to him, it’s clear the ‘Rafa Slam’ is not where his mind is. Right now, his goal is to continue his mission to teach others the values that have helped him become who he is today.

Written by JUAN JOSÉ MATEO from elpais.com

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
Rafael Nadal is the winner of the exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi. Nadal defeated Roger Federer in the final 7:6, 7:6.

Congratulations on I hope he keeps the high level.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
I can't wait for the start of the season. In the meantime you can check out Rafa doing his christmas dance...  :))

http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/bLrgmeEQKYlgPjm13pe6

On a serious note...

RAFA IS SPANISH ATHLETE OF THE YEAR

12 28 2010, Mallorca, Spain

Rafa Nadal wins 3 Grand Slams after suffering a knee injury – ‘Dedication, sportsmanship, hard work, will, humility, sacrifice, and discipline”, those are his values.

“I see a universal Spaniard”, said Julio Iglesias before triggering a huge round of applause. This beautiful phrase was spoken last Wednesday evening during a gala in Madrid at the ‘Palacio de Cibeles’, and it was referring to an incredible man, Rafa Nadal.

The Spanish tennis player won Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open in 2010. He re-claimed the No.1 ranking and at 24, he became the youngest tennis player ever to win all Grand Slams. When we asked fellow sportsmen who they thought was the ‘Spaniard of the year’, they all chose Rafa Nadal.

During the last couple of weeks alone he has been honored by the BBC, and the ATP. But the interesting thing is, all of that success and accolades, all those celebrations and praise only cover a small percentage of his persona, the athlete. What truly makes Rafa and amazing man is what he does when he’s not winning, when his life has turned ugly.

During Julio Iglesias’ speech, at the gala organized by the Rafa Nadal foundation, a beautiful video of the world No.1 was showcased in huge screens for the evening’s special guests. From politicians, to fashion icons, sport stars and celebrities, they all stared intensely at the screen as the footage rarely showed Rafa’s victories, but instead, it focused on the challenges he has had to endure during his career. Multiple injuries, his quarterfinal loss against Robin Soderling at Roland Garros, his quarterfinal withdrawal at the 2010 Australian Open when he was playing against Andy Murray, the times when everything around him was full of doubts and no one believed he could win again.

Then it all turned into silence as the following words appeared; ‘Dedication, sportsmanship, hard work, will, humility, sacrifice, and discipline”. - True success doesn’t come from winning.
That was the message Rafa wanted to send.

Success comes from your values. They have helped him overcome his most difficult adversities and have played a key role in building a legendary career. Success, the world No.1 explained, doesn’t come in the shape of trophies; it comes from taking chances.

Behind each and every one of his biggest victories there has been a philosophical approach. The day he won his first Grand Slam (Roland Garros), instead of letting his new found fame and tennis status get to his head, he followed his coach (and uncle) Toni Nadal’s advice to practice first thing in the morning to go over everything he had done wrong and needed to improve.

From an early age, Rafa has been taught the art of appreciation, hard work, and humility. His coach and family have always reminded him that being good at playing tennis doesn’t make him a hero. “No, that is a term reserved for those who risk their lives in order to save others,” Uncle Toni once said. “Just because he can hit a yellow fluffy ball over a net well doesn’t make him any better than anyone else,” and he knows that.

It is perhaps that kind of upbringing that has allowed him to value the unique opportunity he has to help change other people’s lives. In 2009, Luzzi, an Italian player died of leukemia. “I spoke to Rafa”, said Paula, his mother. “about how we could help sick people like my son get looked after from home instead of the hospital.” “He kindly used his image to support the Foundation, donated one of his racquets for auction, and made a monetary contribution”. That’s where he started, and not long ago he opened up a school in Anantapur (India).

He has a huge challenge ahead of him in a few weeks, if he wins the Australian Open, he will become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four Grand Slams in a row. But when talking to him, it’s clear the ‘Rafa Slam’ is not where his mind is. Right now, his goal is to continue his mission to teach others the values that have helped him become who he is today.

Written by JUAN JOSÉ MATEO from elpais.com

This bloke has to be the most fearsome athlete on the tour. The last season, if possible, was even more impressive - for his ability to overcome his injuries, as well as his perseverance. Watching him through the course of the clay court season was to witness a God at work! The ultimate role model for today's youth!

Offline fan

• Tennis Pro
I agree completely. A true ambassador of tennis and sport in general. Not to mention what he has and what he probably will achieve in the future.

It seems Rafa and Roger are spending an awful lot of time together.  :)

Rafa in Doha...

VAMOS!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:31:41 AM by fan »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Water tennis, where you never want to let the ball bounce  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Nadal to delay trip to Melbourne to recover   January 7, 2011
Rafael Nadal, who has been struggling with flu this week, lost 6-3, 6-2 to Nikolay Davydenko in the semifinals of Doha and says he will remain in the city for a couple of days before traveling to Melbourne.

"I stay here because I have to get healthy before I travel," he said. "Going by plane sometimes makes you worse. And at the same time I don't have anything to do right now in Australia."

Nadal said he knew during the first set he was in no condition to win the match. "I thought about retiring for a moment," he said. "I felt real bad, but, you know, is difficult for me to go off court. It's not nice for the crowd, not nice for the tournament, not nice for the opponent, too."

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Rafael Nadal, who has been struggling with flu this week, lost 6-3, 6-2 to Nikolay Davydenko in the semifinals of Doha and says he will remain in the city for a couple of days before traveling to Melbourne.

"I stay here because I have to get healthy before I travel," he said. "Going by plane sometimes makes you worse. And at the same time I don't have anything to do right now in Australia."

Nadal said he knew during the first set he was in no condition to win the match. "I thought about retiring for a moment," he said. "I felt real bad, but, you know, is difficult for me to go off court. It's not nice for the crowd, not nice for the tournament, not nice for the opponent, too."
Ya gotta love it!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God

Ya gotta love it!

I warmed to that too  :). The slightly fractured english adds genuineness to the statement.

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
hi
i know what "VAMOS RAFA"  means in spanish    but what is the correct translation to english
LET'S GO RAFA      or
COM'ON  RAFA  ?

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God

Nadal refuses to make excuses for defeat
Wednesday, 26 January, 2011
By Alexandra Willis

Rafael Nadal had already broken every tennis heart around the world when he soldiered through his quarterfinal match against David Ferrer, clearly injured, clearly in pain, but refusing to do himself or his opponent the ignominy of retiring. And the Spaniard clambered even further into the public's affections when he sat in front of the world's tennis media to explain the reasons behind that decision.

"I had a problem during the match, in the very beginning," said Nadal. "After that, the match was almost over. So that's what I can say. But you know what, for me is difficult come here and speak about. In Doha I wasn't healthy. Today I have another problem. Seems like I always have problems when I lose, and I don't want to have this image, no? I prefer don't talk about that today. If you can respect that, will be a very nice thing for me. Thank you."

Refusing to make excuses for the loss, and heaping praise on friend and compatriot Ferrer, Nadal explained that in his mind the nature of tennis is that there are positive and negative moments, and today's defeat, although devastating, was one of the many peaks and troughs that go hand in hand with being a professional tennis player.

"The tennis career, you have higher moments and lower moments. I had almost all the time very, very happy moments and very nice moments in my career. That's part of the sport. Last year I was very lucky. I was healthy most of the year. I was playing unbelievable during all the year. This year I did I think all the right things to start the season playing really well. And, seriously, I was playing like this in the first exhibition in Abu Dhabi. After that starts the problem. Was a difficult month for me, no? That's part of the sport. Accept; keep working; try my best in the next tournament. That's what I can do."

The cruel irony is that Nadal had finally recovered from the virus that cut short his season opener in Doha, and was feeling better than he had done since arriving in Melbourne. But the after-effects of that virus, the weakening of his body, no doubt played a part in the injury he sustained in the opening games of the match against Ferrer.

"I felt fantastic the last couple days. I practiced very good yesterday. I had a fantastic warmup today before the match. Only feeling that I can say was very positive. I started the second week, and when the second week started, everything was better and better for me: the health, sweat, the level of tennis. Everything was better and better."

"The only problem was a little bit of unlucky. In general, I had a virus. When you have a virus, your body goes down and you have more risk of everything. That's probably what happened. That's the simple thing."

But Nadal was adamant that at no point did he consider retiring from the match, having been forced into that situation against Andy Murray at the same juncture at Australian Open 2010.

"I hate the retirements, so this wasn't the day. I did last year. I hate that moment. I didn't want to repeat that."

Nadal will fully assess his injury, believed to be to his left thigh, over the coming weeks before deciding when he will be able to return to the court.

CONK da ball!!!