Author Topic: VAMOS RAFA !!! (Post match-reviews, pictures,articles, videos etc. about Nadal)  (Read 381709 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God

No one is perfect, not even Nadal. He's been classy for the vast majority of his career, and I applaud him for that (:applause:). But everyone has their moment and Nadal it was the Wimbledon incident with Sodderling. He didn't excatly act mature and gracefully there. Sodderling was the worse for the encounter, but Nadal didn't handle it welll either.
Soderling is one of the worst players in the tour. horrible personality and no friends. This article is about Rafa as a human being more than as a tennis star on Centre Court. In Fact, Nadal is emerging as the most human player in ATP, he has just started his own Foundation.
bottom line Dmas: Rafa is very good as human being tand also as a player. I admire him for that. ATP tour is full of freaks

And good people can do bad things when roused. In this instance neither Nadal, nor Sodderling acted mature, or with grace. I'm not making a blanket statment on Nadal. I do like his attitude.
My point is, he ain't perfect. He makes mistakes and acts out just like every other human being on the face of the earth. Like Saint Federer, like Saint Santoro. They all do dumb things on court because they are on court, in the public eye for so much of their lives. They can't help it.
young Federer was not like Nadal.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061

No one is perfect, not even Nadal. He's been classy for the vast majority of his career, and I applaud him for that (:applause:). But everyone has their moment and Nadal it was the Wimbledon incident with Sodderling. He didn't excatly act mature and gracefully there. Sodderling was the worse for the encounter, but Nadal didn't handle it welll either.
Soderling is one of the worst players in the tour. horrible personality and no friends. This article is about Rafa as a human being more than as a tennis star on Centre Court. In Fact, Nadal is emerging as the most human player in ATP, he has just started his own Foundation.
bottom line Dmas: Rafa is very good as human being tand also as a player. I admire him for that. ATP tour is full of freaks

And good people can do bad things when roused. In this instance neither Nadal, nor Sodderling acted mature, or with grace. I'm not making a blanket statment on Nadal. I do like his attitude.
My point is, he ain't perfect. He makes mistakes and acts out just like every other human being on the face of the earth. Like Saint Federer, like Saint Santoro. They all do dumb things on court because they are on court, in the public eye for so much of their lives. They can't help it.

Hey!  Leave Roger out of this argument! :rofl_2:  Everyone matures differently... (thank god Roger did even if it was a little late!) ;-()

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Nadal will face Novak Djokovic tomorrow!! 

H2H Rafa 6-3
2008 ATP Masters Series Indian Wells CA, U.S.A. Hard S Djokovic 6-3 6-2
2007 Tennis Masters Cup China Hard RR Nadal 6-4 6-4
2007 ATP Masters Series Canada Hard S Djokovic 7-5 6-3
2007 Wimbledon Great Britain Grass S Nadal 3-6 6-1 4-1 RET
2007 Roland Garros France Clay S Nadal 7-5 6-4 6-2
2007 ATP Masters Series Rome Italy Clay Q Nadal 6-2 6-3
2007 ATP Masters Series Miami FL, U.S.A. Hard Q Djokovic 6-3 6-4
2007 ATP Masters Series Indian Wells CA, U.S.A. Hard F Nadal 6-2 7-5
2006 Roland Garros France Clay Q Nadal 6-4 6-4 RET

Djokovic haven't even won a set on clay against Nadal yet.  I wonder will it be different tomorrow?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com

That's meaningless. It's not about comparing people. It's about human nature. Federer loses his temper and acts foolish at times even now. look at how he handled the shot spot at Wimbledon last year.
You are not getting my point. I don't think we should put these people on such high pedestals. They are human, we are human. We all screw up at times. They are not infallable. We need to admit, or accept that fact, or we will always be disappointed in them in the end. Everyone falls off their pedestal eventually. I fell off mine years ago, and I'm not even trying to get back on it.
That's the point I'm trying to get accross. It's just not a good idea to worship these people too much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Nadal emerging as the most level headed and mature of all the jokers on the circuit? ://

Still 21-years of age, he appears to tower over even the veterans when it comes to handling himself and others on and off the court.

He turns a snide remark by an opponent into an arrow that blows over his head, thereby not only taking the sting out of the hit but in a weird way endears the shooter. Remember when Ljubicic made an unfriendly remark after a match. Nadal’s reply? “I have a very good relationship with Ljubicic. I don’t want to lose it because of this”.

You think Ljubicic felt stupid for even saying it? You bet!!!! That incident bonded the two even more instead of tearing them apart, as it would have happened had it been any one else on the receiving end of that barb.

Nadal never responded to Federer’s open and public attack on him about him being ‘one-dimensional’. Since it was just the opposite of what Federer expected coupled with his friendly and respectful attitude when they met next after that incident, Federer just couldn’t help but fall for Nadal’s charm and big heartedness.

And then when everyone was piling on Federer for his poor showing, Nadal stood up for Federer and supported his friend in his time of need. You think that will remain with Federer for sometime? You bet!!!!!

Contrary to usual belief, the real man is the one who forgives and who controls his anger.

Despite being provoked by even Djokovic in his pressers, Nadal has refused to take the bait. Instead he has showered Djokovic with praise for his recent success, bewildering Djokovic out of his mind. You think Djokovic likes Nadal more than Federer. You can freaking bet your wallet on that!!!

Nadal has addressed all his press conferences after every loss in a matter of fact way that displays his exemplary maturity and respect for his fellow players, fans and the sport of tennis. Is there any doubt who must be the most popular guy in the locker room. All that despite not being anywhere close to being fluent in English, first language of most players today.

He could have been excused for any outburst after the heart breaking loss at the Wimbledon finals last year in five sets to Federer. He had reached there by virtually scaling Mount Everest in his previous matches. In all he played three five setters in that tournament, one of them lasting over a year against Soderling.

Rumors about how he cried incessantly after he reached home after that loss, confirms how deep a dagger it was for him to come so close from so far and still not carry the prize home.

But he never let his emotions come in his way of praising Federer and everyone else for their support. That undoubtedly endeared him to fans and players alike in a way that’s special and to be proud of. His never say die attitude did the rest to propel him as one of the most likable player on the tour.

He has faced many adversities in his young career, but has never relinquished his fighting spirit on the court much to the delight and gratitude of tennis fans worldwide.

But through all that we have seen of Nadal in the years he has been on the tour, the one quality that shines above everything else is his sportsmanship. He truly respects his opponent, and makes an extra effort to ensure he does step on anyone’s toes. Remember when Soderling imitated him at last year’s Wimbledon after Nadal raised the ball in his hand to signal new balls?

Most people think, based on his track record, that Nadal didn’t mean to demean or irritate Soderling with that gesture. He was just following the rules. But did Nadal respond even then? No. He looked at Aunt Tony and zipped it.

However, the wrath did come out through his racket, which is where it should be limited to if you are a true sportsman.

Like I have said before, everyone can be a sportsman when things are all rosy and dandy. What’s the big deal in that? Even my goat or even I can do that. The real test is when you are being irritated and called out in a humiliating manner by others and you not only just restrain yourself, but you say things that makes the other person feel shameful and remorseful for even having said something like that.

It’s called class. You freaks will not understand.

I hope he is rewarded for his understanding and incredible degree of restraint in a way that is good for him. You see, we as mortals don’t know if getting to No. 1 in the world is good for him. Only our Creator knows that.

Despite all his handicaps, Nadal is emerging as the most human players of them all.

Great job, Nadal, we are proud of you.
agree with that word to word conchita.......rafa is indeed the most mature,humble,down-to-earth guy on tour just like what pete was in his hey days..... :)
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
That's meaningless. It's not about comparing people. It's about human nature. Federer loses his temper and acts foolish at times even now. look at how he handled the shot spot at Wimbledon last year.
You are not getting my point. I don't think we should put these people on such high pedestals. They are human, we are human. We all screw up at times. They are not infallable. We need to admit, or accept that fact, or we will always be disappointed in them in the end. Everyone falls off their pedestal eventually. I fell off mine years ago, and I'm not even trying to get back on it.
That's the point I'm trying to get accross. It's just not a good idea to worship these people too much.

I side with dmast. People overdo the personalities, particularly the off-court ones.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God

I side with dmast. People overdo the personalities, particularly the off-court ones.
how many people do you know has started a foundation to help when they are 21 years old??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God

how many people do you know has started a foundation to help when they are 21 years old??
Conchita, they all HAVE to do it (and can afford it). That part is all PR as well as a tax deduction  :\ .

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God

A lot. And it's not Nadal himself who decided that.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
Great match! No one is as strong mentally as Rafa, Djoker did a great job, but I'll be we won't be doing any Rafa impressions for awhile!  :rofl_2:

Vamos, Rafa

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
this clay season pretty much reminds me of the 2006 clay season.......rafa isn't playing his best tennis by any means but somehow getting the job done quite comfortably at the end........

VAMOS RAFAEL!!! u beauty.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God

You just keep Nadal up there on his pedestal. You will ultimately be dissappointed. Just keep worshipping.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
i ll be delighted to see rafa serve a good old bagel tomorrow against federer........ :))

Offline Alex

• Tennis God

Hamburg, 17 May 2008

Press Conference with RAFAEL NADAL

Nadal - Djokovic 7:5, 2:6, 6:2

Q: It was a very special match.

NADAL: Well, I think special because we played very good tennis, at a very good level. It was an amazing match. I think Djokovic played very good on clay. Especially today. But the conditions weren't very good for me, because I prefer it a little bit faster. The ball stayed very low, so he got more Chances. But I probably played one of my best matches.

Q: Do you really enjoy it when you are out there or do you just focus?

NADAL: Yes, of course I like the pressure and I like matches like today. I liked this match because I think we played at a very good level. I felt very fast on court, running very well.

Q: Novak said you were the best defensive player ever in tennis.

NADAL: I won't say anything about this. Thank you for this compliment of him.

Q: Were you surprised about the way you ran on court today?

NADAL: Yes, I was very fast. Yesterday I was also feeling very good physically. Well, I'm probably in good form. I am a bit tired now, but it was a very tough match today. I don't know how it will be tomorrow, but it will be difficult.

Q: Can you talk about tomorrow, playing Roger?

NADAL: Well, I play in Roger's home, because he won here 4 times, this is probably his best clay court. I don't know, it will be a very tough match. Probably the ball here doesn't get the same topspin as in Roland Garros, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome too. So it will be a little bit different and more difficult, too. It will be tough, too, because he played a little over an hour and I played over 3 hours. I hope, this doesn't effect me too much tomorrow.

I will go on court with my best motivation. This is a Mastes Series where I haven't won so far, so that is a special motivation for me, too. Just go on court, and try my best.

Q: Do you feel better now compared to last year?

NADAL: You know, last year I was very tired, mentally tired. This year not. I prefer it like last year, because I played Rome with 100% condition, this year I didn't play Romewith a good condition. All the tournaments in this short season are very important for me and I lost one, that's tough for me. I had Sunday for rest, and I started this tournament not feeling too sure, because I didn't practice too much before the tournament, because I had the blister. I didn't play too well against Potito, but I got better every day and I played a very good match today. I need a little bit more for tomorrow.

Q: Do you feel ready to play again tomorrow?

NADAL: You have to wait until tomorrow morning, it depends how you feel in the morning when you wake up. Hopefully yes, I have to be 100% if I want to have chances to beat him.

Q: Now that the match is finished, are you pleased that you saved the no 2 ranking?

NADAL: I am happy to be in the final of Hamburg. Save the no 2, sure it's important for Roland Garros. But the important thing is that I am improving, I am doing a very complete season. I am happy for that. Later, we will see when the season finishes.

Q: On court you said Djokovic will be the next no 1.

NADAL: I think so, because he played very good, he's a tough player, so he probably has very good chances to become no 1. He will have very good chances in the next years, because he's very good and he's very young.

Q: What was the decisive moment in the match?

NADAL: It was important when I saved the two balls for 4:0, because he was playing very well, and if I managed 4:0 it would be impossible for him to come back. If you lose the first set, at least stay in the set, don't lose it 6:1, 6:2. Afterwards in the first set the first break was important.

Q: And the last game of the match?

NADAL: Yes, it was very tough, it was unbelievable, I had some very good chances, I missed a forehand volley, because I didn't know if his ball was out or inside. It was tough, but it was also a very good end to the match.

Q: When it was important, your first serve was very good.

NADAL: I think I served well on the important moments. This week I am serving much better than in Monte Carlo, and better than Rome, for sure.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Congrats to all rafa fans for 'biting' the hamburg trophy.........king is always king n today's victory just reaffirms that........cool, vamos!  :)

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!

LOL, it's not something that anyone at that age would normally consider even if they had the money.  Rafa is a n exceptional individual outside the court and that definitely shows.  I would also like you to tell me how you know "a lot" of 21-year olds develop a foundation....

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God

LOL, it's not something that anyone at that age would normally consider even if they had the money.  Rafa is a n exceptional individual outside the court and that definitely shows.  I would also like you to tell me how you know "a lot" of 21-year olds develop a foundation....

Many of these multimillion dollar babies (athletes) have foundations. It's part of their 'giving back to the community' effort. I put that in quotes not so much as sarcastic, but because it's frequently done. Nearly every player on every team that has a huge contract, and many of the more successfull tennis players (Federer, Roddick, Blake, Sharapova etc...) have a foundation to benefit their own favorite charity. They do it perhaps out of feeling for society, and they do it because it's good marketing. In fact if they don't do it they find the people from their community don't give them nearly the slack that those same people who do have a foundation get. If a baseball player making $10 million a year is hitting .200 and has a foundation, he will hear about it from the fans, but it won't be nearly as bad as if he didn't have a charitable foundation.
It wasn't nearly as commonly done just 5 or 6 years ago when Federer was Nadal's age, but you can bet if an athlete has a multimillion dollar contract, he has a PR firm, or agent who has PR people and they have a foundation of some sort. It just makes good business sense. As an added benefit it can be written off in their taxes. That is if they haven't taken up residence in a tax haven, like Monte Carlo. It's crass, but there you go.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
hey, i just read a news thingy that Rafa said Djoko would probably pass him and he's knows that and realizes he'd just have to work harder or something. I didn't realize that Djoko will pass him. Boo. :(

Sorry, if this has been covered already.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
hey, i just read a news thingy that Rafa said Djoko would probably pass him and he's knows that and realizes he'd just have to work harder or something. I didn't realize that Djoko will pass him. Boo. :(

this yr's wimbledon will make a lot of things clear.......the points difference now btn rafa n djoko is 300 odd n djokovic is seemingly closing in on that 2nd position.......we wud love to see rafa becoming no.1 this yr. without losing his no.2 position. don't we?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God

this yr's wimbledon will make a lot of things clear.......the points difference now btn rafa n djoko is 300 odd n djokovic is seemingly closing in on that 2nd position.......we wud love to see rafa becoming no.1 this yr. without losing his no.2 position. don't we?

I don't know if Djokovic can gain much ground unless Nadal really lays an egg at either tournament. Djokovic got to the semis of both tournaments last year. Nadal got to the finals of both and won the French. So how many points can Djokovic gain? Fact is he has some to loose as well.

An ambition fulfilled