Author Topic: String Machines???  (Read 2035 times)

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
String Machines???
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:04:29 PM »
I live an hour from Vegas and every time I need a racket strung, it means 2 trips into town.  Its almost impossible to get someone to do it while I wait, so I leave it and come back in a couple or three days.  I am getting sick of the hassle.  So I am looking into getting one for myself.  My nephew plays on the local high school team, and so I would probably end of doing his and half the teams as well. 

I was very tempted by the price of the EAGNAS cheaper electric machines, but I did a little research here before posting and I see that EAGNAS is a name to stay away from.  So that leads me to a few questions.....

My questions are....

1 - Are the ones with the "drop weight" good enough quality.

2 - What are the good brands??  I have looked at GAMMA X and GAMMA Progression.....Any good??

3 - Are the "Hand Winders" accurate?? 

Lots of questions, and only about $400-$500 to spend.  Thanks.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: String Machines???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
I think your price point pretty much locks you into a drop weight, or a used lock out type. If you can find a good Ektelon you'd be doing good.
Drop weight stringers are fine, but they take a little longer to do a racquet.
What you really need to keep in mind is quality of material. Eganas is not the way to go from what I've heard. They are cheap, but are made cheap as well, and the service is off the charts bad.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
Yes, I have officially stepped of the EAGNAS avenue.  I am leaning towards the Gamma X6 FC ($498).  I wish I could swing the extra $$ for the Gamma X-ST.  I will keep an eye on Ebay or CraigList for one.  Any other brands that you might advise??  What about the Mutual Power stringers??  They look very sturdy??

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »
Yes, I have officially stepped of the EAGNAS avenue.  I am leaning towards the Gamma X6 FC ($498).  I wish I could swing the extra $$ for the Gamma X-ST.  I will keep an eye on Ebay or CraigList for one.  Any other brands that you might advise??  What about the Mutual Power stringers??  They look very sturdy??

I don't know much about Mutual Power. I heard of them a few years ago, and haven't heard anything bad. They were locked into some sort of battle with Eganas over some technology (which they both probably stole from someone else).
Personally, if I had the cash I'd get a Babelot Star 5. It's $3K, but it's the equal of some $5K machines. I want to get an electronic stringer someday, but I just don't have the need for one right now.
I don't care much for Gamma's strings, but their stringers are decent. So are Alphas.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
That Alpha 4000 looks like a nice setup.  Maybe I will have to dig through the cushions on the couch to find another $100 and spring for that one.  ..-)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
Jamesdster and I use the Klippermate, it is less than $200.00 and it is a drop weight.  I do not notice any difference between my racquets when I go from one to another in terms of strong tension.  I like the Klippermate. 

I have seen some nice Gamma ones too.  But the cheapest drop weight has done me well for the last 7 years!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »
WOW.....thats a nice endorsement.  7 years.....sweet.  Maybe I will save some $$$.  That would be a nice surprise to the wife.  I haven't even looked at the Klippermate.  Thanks.

Another questioin.....is a 6 point mount important???  Or is a 2 point good enough??

Thanks.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »
That Alpha 4000 looks like a nice setup.  Maybe I will have to dig through the cushions on the couch to find another $100 and spring for that one.  ..-)

Alpha is a solid stringer, and they have fantastic customer support.
Kipper is a good drop weight as well. I have no experice with drop weights though.

I think the more support for the frame you can get the better. I only have two (head and neck) and I can see the frame move on each cross string pull.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:07:29 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
I have always used a 2 point, but don't get me wrong, I would rather have a 6 point. 

I string for a handful of guys, and I think the Klippermate does a perfectly fine job.  Drop weight is drop weight as far as I am concerned.  If I had money to burn back when I bought it I might have looked at more expensive stringers, but who knows if it would of made a difference.  I like my Klippermate.  They are life time guaranteed and they have held true to that so far.  If I have had a problem they have resolved it at no cost to me.

I wonder if I can get them to pay me for saying all of that?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »
I have always used a 2 point, but don't get me wrong, I would rather have a 6 point. 

I string for a handful of guys, and I think the Klippermate does a perfectly fine job.  Drop weight is drop weight as far as I am concerned.  If I had money to burn back when I bought it I might have looked at more expensive stringers, but who knows if it would of made a difference.  I like my Klippermate.  They are life time guaranteed and they have held true to that so far.  If I have had a problem they have resolved it at no cost to me.

I wonder if I can get them to pay me for saying all of that?

Probably....  :whistling:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
Jamesdster and I use the Klippermate, it is less than $200.00 and it is a drop weight.  I do not notice any difference between my racquets when I go from one to another in terms of strong tension.  I like the Klippermate. 

I have seen some nice Gamma ones too.  But the cheapest drop weight has done me well for the last 7 years!

Add me the the happy Klippermate User family.  I love the little thing!  It works great.  I even string my friends' racquets and they love the results.  I don't care if you get it or not because there really is nothing in it for me, but if you're on a budget and still want a nice string job, Klippermate is a solid choice. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!