Poll

Who is the most overrated player in tennis?

Andy Roddick
4 (36.4%)
Roddick, Andy
3 (27.3%)
Andrew Stephen Roddick
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Who is the most overrated player in tennis?  (Read 18837 times)

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Who is the most overrated player in tennis?
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »
 ..-) This guy is awful.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: Who is the most overrated player in tennis?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:42 PM »
I could say the same about your avatar. :dunno:

There is a rule on MTF that says you're not aloud to start a thread with intention of bashing a single players. I think the rule should be applied here. :innocent:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:46 PM »
And your point is?  ..-)

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
I hate Roddick. The worst part is that every commentator always excuses his s**tty attitude while calling someone like Safin a headcase even though both exhibit the same behavior, the only difference being that Safin is slightly more physical while doing so. I hope Gulbis wins - he's really very good and promising. DOWN WITH RODDICK.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »
It's interesting. There are players I don't like -- Sharapova, Ivanovic, Murray, Djokovic to an extent, Federer, Ljubicic -- but I don't watch them play. If you hate Andy (and obviously think he is the only overrated player in tennis, which is not at all his fault), then why in the world are you watching him? :dunno: I mean, that doesn't even make sense to me. ..-)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »
I see a difference between Safin and Roddick. Roddick seems to exhude a more positive energy, while Safin has a negative energy.
But that's what I see. :dunno:
But have fun with it.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 11:56:22 PM »
DirtyKash, you must really hate Andy now.  :rofl_2:

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:48:47 AM »
It's interesting. There are players I don't like -- Sharapova, Ivanovic, Murray, Djokovic to an extent, Federer, Ljubicic -- but I don't watch them play. If you hate Andy (and obviously think he is the only overrated player in tennis, which is not at all his fault), then why in the world are you watching him? :dunno: I mean, that doesn't even make sense to me. ..-)

Because it's the only match on TV?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:03:04 AM »
I agree with BGT here.  If you don't like the guy... cut the television off.  Why "torture" yourself by watching him? :innocent:

Personally I would have voted for Nalbandian, but that's just my opinion.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »

Because it's the only match on TV?

USA isn't the only channel on TV. :)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
I agree with BGT here.  If you don't like the guy... cut the television off.  Why "torture" yourself by watching him? :innocent:

I don't think Nalbandian's overrated. He's just very inconsistent. At hte end of last year, he raped everyone.

I think Gasquet's a bit overrated.... as well as Sam Querry--they show him too much.
And Chakvetadze, Gonzalez, and Andy Murray at times.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »
 :)>>>>

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 08:43:44 PM »
:)>>>>

Shoot...

Andy's not overrated... he's just kind of stayed at a constant level while the field has kind of stepped up. Of course he can make improvements in his game, but he's at the point now where the habits are all pretty much ingrained.

Gasquet has the ability to rape everyone, but the mentality is just not there.... His backhand is like the most amazing one-handed ever though in my opinion.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »

I don't think Nalbandian's overrated. He's just very inconsistent. At hte end of last year, he raped everyone.

I think Gasquet's a bit overrated.... as well as Sam Querry--they show him too much.
And Chakvetadze, Gonzalez, and Andy Murray at times.

I said overrated because every grand slam his name is mentioned as a possible winner. YET, he has made it to ONE grand slam final in his career.  ONE final.  Even Roddick has made it to more grand slam finals than that and has even won a grand slam.  YET Nalbandian's name keeps coming up - and still he disappoints at a grand slam again.  When your career is over (whether it's correct or not), people will remember how many grand slams you've won.  Sure he's made some SFs, etc., but for a guy with that much supposedly talent - to only have made ONE slam final???? I don't think his name should be mentioned as a possible winner at any of the slams.  Period.  (but you know, maybe I'm bias). :whistle:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 09:22:23 PM »
It's Andy, but not Roddick  :whistle:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »

at the end of 2005, David defeated Federer and won the Masters Cup 6-7(4) 6-7(11) 6-2 6-1 7-6(3).
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »
It's Andy, but not Roddick  :whistle:

Well Murray is over hyped, but that's excusable. I mean the Brits really have to grab what the can and run with it.lol

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »

at the end of 2005, David defeated Federer and won the Masters Cup 6-7(4) 6-7(11) 6-2 6-1 7-6(3).

I'm not saying he hasn't had some good wins... But for what people say about how "talented" he is, even those few wins don't equal what he should have had by now.  The guy is not that young, yet he only have a total of  8 Career titles!  Players can get that many in 1 year.  And since you brought up that match above, he had to beat a wounded Roger who was coming back from being on cruches right before that tournament and it still took him 5 sets to win.  So there! :rofl_2:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

I'm not saying he hasn't had some good wins... But for what people say about how "talented" he is, even those few wins don't equal what he should have had by now.  The guy is not that young, yet he only have a total of  8 Career titles!  Players can get that many in 1 year.  And since you brought up that match above, he had to beat a wounded Roger who was coming back from being on cruches right before that tournament and it still took him 5 sets to win.  So there! :rofl_2:
he has defeated 8 times Federer!!!
He is one of only four active players to have achieved the semifinals or better at all four Grand Slams, along with Roger Federer, Marat Safin and Novak Đjoković.
Nalbandian is one of the two men to beat Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic since they assumed #1, #2 and #3 positions; the other being Andy Roddick.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:59:06 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »
Too bad Nalby seems to be on the downside lately....
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!