Poll

Who is the most overrated player in tennis?

Andy Roddick
4 (36.4%)
Roddick, Andy
3 (27.3%)
Andrew Stephen Roddick
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Who is the most overrated player in tennis?  (Read 19585 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Who is the most overrated player in tennis?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
I agree with BGT here.  If you don't like the guy... cut the television off.  Why "torture" yourself by watching him? :innocent:

Personally I would have voted for Nalbandian, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think Nalbandian's overrated. He's just very inconsistent. At hte end of last year, he raped everyone.

at the end of 2005, David defeated Federer and won the Masters Cup 6-7(4) 6-7(11) 6-2 6-1 7-6(3).

I'm not saying he hasn't had some good wins... But for what people say about how "talented" he is, even those few wins don't equal what he should have had by now.  The guy is not that young, yet he only have a total of  8 Career titles!  Players can get that many in 1 year.  And since you brought up that match above, he had to beat a wounded Roger who was coming back from being on cruches right before that tournament and it still took him 5 sets to win.  So there! :rofl_2:
he has defeated 8 times Federer!!!
He is one of only four active players to have achieved the semifinals or better at all four Grand Slams, along with Roger Federer, Marat Safin and Novak Đjoković.
Nalbandian is one of the two men to beat Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic since they assumed #1, #2 and #3 positions; the other being Andy Roddick.

Again, I'm not saying he hasn't done anything in his career!  That's not it.  I'm saying that he hasn't done enough in his career with what he has been blessed with.  With the game he has, he should have had at least 1 grand slam if not other grand slam finals.  I mean, Roddick's name came up as being the most over-rated, YET Roddick has been #1, and Roddick has a grand slam and Roddick has made other grand slam finals.  So why would someone say Roddick is the most over-rated when, to me, he's done more than Nalbandian!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »
I agree with BGT here.  If you don't like the guy... cut the television off.  Why "torture" yourself by watching him? :innocent:

Personally I would have voted for Nalbandian, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think Nalbandian's overrated. He's just very inconsistent. At hte end of last year, he raped everyone.

I think Gasquet's a bit overrated.... as well as Sam Querry--they show him too much.
And Chakvetadze, Gonzalez, and Andy Murray at times.

I said overrated because every grand slam his name is mentioned as a possible winner. YET, he has made it to ONE grand slam final in his career.  ONE final.  Even Roddick has made it to more grand slam finals than that and has even won a grand slam.  YET Nalbandian's name keeps coming up - and still he disappoints at a grand slam again.  When your career is over (whether it's correct or not), people will remember how many grand slams you've won.  Sure he's made some SFs, etc., but for a guy with that much supposedly talent - to only have made ONE slam final???? I don't think his name should be mentioned as a possible winner at any of the slams.  Period.  (but you know, maybe I'm bias). :whistle:

I agree with Dallas for once here.   As I mentioned his best surface by far is indoors, this has been proven, and there are no grand slams indoors.  Of course he might well have the talent to have done it somewhere else, despite his best surface by far being indoors.  However if he hasnt managed to do it or even come close enough (1 final where he was spanked) this far into his career, for whatever reason that he isnt pulling it off, then it isnt likely to happen now.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 01:12:23 AM »
Ironically Nalbandian's best chance to win a grand slam was the one Andy Roddick won, the 2003 U.S Open.  He had MATCH point in the 3rd set tiebreaker, had been outplaying Roddick all day, and he just couldnt finish it, fell apart in the 4th and 5th sets, and that was it.   Roddick in the final played a very tired Ferrero who was handcuffed by some ridicilous scheduling and Roddick overpowered him and cruised.  Nalbandian (and Roddick for that matter) would have a great shot vs Ferrero on a fast hard court in any case, but in Ferrero's condition Nalbandian would have been a virtual certain to win.    That was Nalbandian's big opportunity to win a slam, it didnt happen, and it isnt going to come again for him.   

Another was the 2006 Australian Open where he choked multiple times vs Baghdatis in the semis and lost a match he never should have lost given all the leads and chances he had., and where Federer who was clearly in subpar form at that event was waiting in the final.   That was probably the only slam Federer won so far where he lost sets in 4 straight rounds, even with a relatively tame draw.

I guess another might have been the 2004 French Open where he played a horrible semifinal vs Gaston Gaudio, a player he was very capable of beating even on clay.   The in the final a choking Coria was waiting.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:48 AM »
i would not call nalbandian an overrated player.........actually he is an underachiever for his talent.........players like hewitt and roddick are overrated..........they simply don't have the game to take it to quality players like nadal, federer or djokovic when at best but nalbandian can.........
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:21:44 AM by shankar21 »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 04:22:32 AM »
i would not call nalbandian an overrated player.........actually he is an underachiever for his talent.........players like hewitt and roddick are overrated..........they simply don't have the game to take it to quality players like nadal, federer or djokovic when at best but nalbandian can.........

But can you imagine Hewitt or Roddick losing 6-3 6-4 6-2 to Monfils?  :rofl_2: Nobody is saying he's not talented and dangerous to top players, just as Karlovic is dangerous, but Nalby has totally wasted his talent, yet people always expect him to threaten at slamsm then he loses to somebody absolutely hopeless: this year it's been Ferrero, Chardy, Dancevic and Monfils, all of which he has played absolutely terribly in and been thrashed.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 05:05:01 AM »
But can you imagine Hewitt or Roddick losing 6-3 6-4 6-2 to Monfils?  :rofl_2: Nobody is saying he's not talented and dangerous to top players, just as Karlovic is dangerous, but Nalby has totally wasted his talent, yet people always expect him to threaten at slamsm then he loses to somebody absolutely hopeless: this year it's been Ferrero, Chardy, Dancevic and Monfils, all of which he has played absolutely terribly in and been thrashed.
KS, do you know that Nalbandian has been injured this summer? and probably needs operation at the end of year.
to put Ferrero in the same sentence-category as Chardy or Dancevic makes me laugh.
and I dont think people expects Nalby to do well in best of 5 sets. 
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 05:11:19 AM »

I see what you are saying but why is such an underachiever less deserving of being termed overrated then a less talented player who maximizes their abilities.    I actually find a lazy underachiever, if anything, more deserving of the "overrated" tag as they continue to dissapoint and frusterate their supporters, and waste talent.   Roddick and Hewitt are not sensational talents or legends of the game, but nobody is calling them that.  They are hard workers who have pretty much maxed out what they could do in their careers with 1 or 2 majors, multiple Masters titles, and staying near the top as long as each did.   

Actually look at it this way.  Nalbandian has much more natural ability then either Roddick and Hewitt and still has managed to achieve significantly less.  So who is most likely to be overrated here.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 05:49:15 AM »
KS, do you know that Nalbandian has been injured this summer? and probably needs operation at the end of year.
to put Ferrero in the same sentence-category as Chardy or Dancevic makes me laugh.

I didn't know he'd been injured, though this year has been particularly bad, he has always been poor in slams.

I put JCF in that same category because, relative to Nalbandian, he is a weak player, just as Chardy and dancevic are, and it was a big shock to see him beat Dave in Australia

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 05:56:12 AM »
Ferrero is past clearly past his prime.   Of course when one grades him as a player it is on his current ability which is nowhere near his peak of 2000-2003, and no longer anywhere near the elite of the game.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 06:22:04 AM »

I didn't know he'd been injured, though this year has been particularly bad, he has always been poor in slams.

I put JCF in that same category because, relative to Nalbandian, he is a weak player, just as Chardy and dancevic are, and it was a big shock to see him beat Dave in Australia
JCF has also been injured all this summer, the injury came after Rome and didnt play Hamburg, he played with the injury at RG and Wimby but he could not play at Toronto, Cincinnatti and the USO. JCF has a very sad story of injuries. In Australia JCF was in good form lost to Ferrer in a close battle, he made the final in Auckland -lost to Kohli. Ferrero has a plague of injuries since 2004.
JCF year has been similar to Hewitt, Lleyton injured after Maimi only playing RG, Queens and Wimby until sadly the only option was operation.
Ferrero is 84-33 in GS, He is also one of only a handful of players in the tennis open era to have reached the quarterfinal stage of all four Grand Slam events. he is former nº1, FO champion and Davis Cup hero in 2000. The same as Dancevic and Chardy.
Nalbandian is 77-28 in GS made semis in all grand slams, Roddick is 86-29 in GS, he has never reached the 3rd round at RG since debut in 2001.
Hewitt is 115-37 in GS, only player with Moya to win at least 1 title each season this decade. Moya is 78-44 in GS.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 07:01:01 AM »

but also imagine hewitt or roddick reaching the semis of RG!  and karlovic is dangerous? to whom? only to those whose brains are stuck at the first gear........a clever one will always get better of karlovic.........nalbandian is a class apart and has some game and finesse than those over rated players......... i agree that he is been under-performing a lot due to some reasons but you never know, players like him can have that purple patch all of a sudden by finding their lost rhythm and sometimes that could prove to be enough to propel them towards a slam victory.........the same can't be said to roddick or hewitt.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 07:18:37 AM »

I see what you are saying but why is such an underachiever less deserving of being termed overrated then a less talented player who maximizes their abilities.    I actually find a lazy underachiever, if anything, more deserving of the "overrated" tag as they continue to dissapoint and frusterate their supporters, and waste talent.   Roddick and Hewitt are not sensational talents or legends of the game, but nobody is calling them that.  They are hard workers who have pretty much maxed out what they could do in their careers with 1 or 2 majors, multiple Masters titles, and staying near the top as long as each did.   

Actually look at it this way.  Nalbandian has much more natural ability then either Roddick and Hewitt and still has managed to achieve significantly less.  So who is most likely to be overrated here.
actually, i am someone who rather prefer to side with players touching the highs and lows than some  players who are constantly ordinary lingering at the same level, because it's better to taste something great even if you fail most of the times, than just being constantly substandard and achieving nothing great........among nalbandian, roddick and hewitt, if you ask me who has the most realistic chance of winning a slam from here on, i would always vote for nalby for his talent, persistence and ability to outlast anyone on his day.just that he is mentally not that strong.........i am not saying that nalbandian will definitely win a slam by the end of his career but he is capable of it........i am not at all sure about roddick and hewitt.........and when people make comments, 'roddick can still win US' or 'hewitt can win australia' or 'nalbandian can win a slam',  the last one seems to me to be close to reality than the first two........hence i feel roddick and hewitt are over rated........no way they are going to win slams in this competition.........sorry if i am being harsh on them but that's the reality........

p.s. the slams that roddick and hewitt won will never convince me to believe that rod and hew are better than nalby.......i am a strong believer in the saying that 'stats don't ALWAYS tell the entire story'.........
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:20:55 AM by shankar21 »

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
Roddick's on court behavior is very poor!   Did you guys notice Roddick and Gulbis talking crap to each other on a change over............and when Roddick hit a FH at Gulbis at the net as hard as he could only to net the shot? 

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
Roddick's on court behavior is very poor!   Did you guys notice Roddick and Gulbis talking crap to each other on a change over............and when Roddick hit a FH at Gulbis at the net as hard as he could only to net the shot? 

I think Roddick and Blake both have a problem with Gulbis, when Blake played Gulbis earlier in the season, he smashed a backhand at his face. Gulbis dodged it and it went into the crowd :head-smack: I think there's something we don't know there.

Having said that, Roddick doesn't seem to see an ethical problem with bodyshots: he was actively encouraging Nishikori to play them at him when they played earlier this year.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
[*sarcasm]Andy can be so mean :blue: [*/sarcasm]

Come on you guys! This is a sport, not a Candy Land super marathon. If you are at net, it's a perfectly legitimate play to aim at the person. It's actually pretty smart. :whistle:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »

Come on you guys! This is a sport, not a Candy Land super marathon. If you are at net, it's a perfectly legitimate play to aim at the person. It's actually pretty smart. :whistle:

It's a game, and it is at least the custom to apologise if you do. It depends what you're trying to do: if it's to cramp your opponents next shot, it's smart, if it's to hit them, it's hardly indicative of a nice person  :whistle:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »

It's a game, and it is at least the custom to apologise if you do. It depends what you're trying to do: if it's to cramp your opponents next shot, it's smart, if it's to hit them, it's hardly indicative of a nice person  :whistle:

The smart play, if your opponent is at the net, is to hit it hard at or near your opponents right hip (if he's righty). Not only is that a hard volley to hit, but if he can't handle it there's a good chance the ball will hit him which is also means you win the point. No apologies necessary.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »

The smart play, if your opponent is at the net, is to hit it hard at or near your opponents right hip (if he's righty). Not only is that a hard volley to hit, but if he can't handle it there's a good chance the ball will hit him which is also means you win the point. No apologies necessary.

Though if you're playing with other men, and you miss the hip by about 6 inches, you may want to apologise  :whistle:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

Though if you're playing with other men, and you miss the hip by about 6 inches, you may want to apologise  :whistle:

Why?  Your opponent won't hear you.  He'll be in so much pain that he won't hear or see a word of your apology. :innocent:

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
I just love how cool I am....
total exclusion.
Be the change that you seek.