Author Topic: Obama Offers a Beautifully Packaged Lie  (Read 35973 times)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Re: Obama Offers a Beautifully Packaged Lie
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
You guys call that a 'debate'?

Holy s**t, I'm smarter than I thought.

Hardly. ..-)
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
Now that McCain is clearly in trouble, he is going to resort to character assasination (his only and last hope).  Just sit back and watch it unfold...
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
Looks like Palin has impressed some people.  :cool:

Fred Barnes
Fri Oct 3, 1:53 AM ET

Washington (The Daily Standard) - The moment when Sarah Palin knew she was winning last night's debate with her vice presidential opponent Joe Biden came after the subject had turned to nuclear weapons. Palin had talked about nukes as a deterrent and said it was important to keep them out of the hands of dictators who are enemies of America. Then she turned to moderator Gwen Ifill and asked, "Can we talk about Afghanistan real quick?"

Afghanistan? The impression Palin had left in television interviews with ABC's Charles Gibson and CBS's Katie Couric was that she was ill-equipped to discuss issues like that. She just didn't know enough to talk about foreign policy and other weighty matters with even a minimal level of comfort. And this meant she simply wasn't up to being vice president should John McCain win the presidency.

But by that point in the debate--two-thirds the way through--Palin was brimming with self-confidence. She knew she could handle any issue likely to be thrown at her by Ifill. She knew Biden would not outmatch her. So she purposely tackled an issue on which he was expected to have an advantage.

He didn't. She insisted the "surge principles" that had proved effective in Iraq would work in Afghanistan. Biden claimed the commanding general in Afghanistan disagreed. Then Palin said, no, the general didn't disagree, and she spelled out how "the counterinsurgency strategy" favored by McCain (and her) would work.

If that episode didn't demoralize Biden, a senator from Delaware for 35 years, it should have. For it showed she had passed the biggest test any vice presidential candidate faces--a test the media was ready to declare she'd failed. Was she capable of being vice president? Based on her debate performance, the answer was yes.

Not that she came close to matching Biden's experience or extensive knowledge of issues, especially foreign policy issues. But she was conversant with every issue, domestic and foreign, that came up in the 90-minute debate and talked with seeming confidence about them.

She may have passed two other tests as well. Did she once more energize the conservative base of the Republican party as she had when McCain picked her a month ago? Probably. And was her performance strong enough to change the direction of a campaign that has seen Barack Obama widening a lead over McCain in recent weeks? Maybe.

For sure, she did one remarkable thing aside from handling Biden with ease. She undid the negative impression that had been created by her avoidance of most of the media and hardened when the two TV interviews went poorly. Her image was that of someone unqualified to be vice president and uninformed on major issues.

Changing an image overnight is difficult. Ronald Reagan managed it when he debated President Jimmy Carter in 1980 and blew away the widespread notion that he was a warmonger. But I can't think of other examples of this, at least in presidential or veep debates.

Two more things. Palin appeared to be in a good mood during the debate, just as she was when delivering her acceptance speech at the Republican convention four weeks ago. That made her more appealing than Biden, who came off, at times anyway, as less cheerful than he normally is.

And Palin wrote her own closing statement, or so I was told. It included what seemed like an invitation to Biden to have more debates. "I would like more opportunity for this," she said. I suspect Biden wouldn't.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
Looks like Palin has impressed some people.  :cool:

Fred Barnes
Fri Oct 3, 1:53 AM ET

Washington (The Daily Standard) - The moment when Sarah Palin knew she was winning last night's debate with her vice presidential opponent Joe Biden came after the subject had turned to nuclear weapons. Palin had talked about nukes as a deterrent and said it was important to keep them out of the hands of dictators who are enemies of America. Then she turned to moderator Gwen Ifill and asked, "Can we talk about Afghanistan real quick?"

Afghanistan? The impression Palin had left in television interviews with ABC's Charles Gibson and CBS's Katie Couric was that she was ill-equipped to discuss issues like that. She just didn't know enough to talk about foreign policy and other weighty matters with even a minimal level of comfort. And this meant she simply wasn't up to being vice president should John McCain win the presidency.

But by that point in the debate--two-thirds the way through--Palin was brimming with self-confidence. She knew she could handle any issue likely to be thrown at her by Ifill. She knew Biden would not outmatch her. So she purposely tackled an issue on which he was expected to have an advantage.

He didn't. She insisted the "surge principles" that had proved effective in Iraq would work in Afghanistan. Biden claimed the commanding general in Afghanistan disagreed. Then Palin said, no, the general didn't disagree, and she spelled out how "the counterinsurgency strategy" favored by McCain (and her) would work.

If that episode didn't demoralize Biden, a senator from Delaware for 35 years, it should have. For it showed she had passed the biggest test any vice presidential candidate faces--a test the media was ready to declare she'd failed. Was she capable of being vice president? Based on her debate performance, the answer was yes.

Not that she came close to matching Biden's experience or extensive knowledge of issues, especially foreign policy issues. But she was conversant with every issue, domestic and foreign, that came up in the 90-minute debate and talked with seeming confidence about them.

She may have passed two other tests as well. Did she once more energize the conservative base of the Republican party as she had when McCain picked her a month ago? Probably. And was her performance strong enough to change the direction of a campaign that has seen Barack Obama widening a lead over McCain in recent weeks? Maybe.

For sure, she did one remarkable thing aside from handling Biden with ease. She undid the negative impression that had been created by her avoidance of most of the media and hardened when the two TV interviews went poorly. Her image was that of someone unqualified to be vice president and uninformed on major issues.

Changing an image overnight is difficult. Ronald Reagan managed it when he debated President Jimmy Carter in 1980 and blew away the widespread notion that he was a warmonger. But I can't think of other examples of this, at least in presidential or veep debates.

Two more things. Palin appeared to be in a good mood during the debate, just as she was when delivering her acceptance speech at the Republican convention four weeks ago. That made her more appealing than Biden, who came off, at times anyway, as less cheerful than he normally is.

And Palin wrote her own closing statement, or so I was told. It included what seemed like an invitation to Biden to have more debates. "I would like more opportunity for this," she said. I suspect Biden wouldn't.

Somewhere in Alaska, a small village is missing an idiot. 

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »
Somewhere in Alaska, a small village is missing an idiot. 

:rofl_2: Quite joking around, this is serious business.  :)

Here's the latest electorial college forecasts. This is done state by state.
I'm in Obama country and surrounded (Illinois).  :Boxing:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2008, 06:43:13 AM »
If you have not watched this, you should.

McCain.KeatingEconomics.com

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

I saw it, thanks for the link.

Now I want to hear the whole story. From the other side, there must be more than one angle.

I noticed that the report said McCain had exercised bad judgement, but the way the video went it seems that criminal activity had occured. Something does not add up.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2008, 04:35:30 AM »

Now I want to hear the whole story. From the other side, there must be more than one angle.

I noticed that the report said McCain had exercised bad judgement, but the way the video went it seems that criminal activity had occured. Something does not add up.

Was there an investigation, charge, or conviction?  I must have missed it or else there was another conspiracy / cover-up.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
There was no conviction, althought there arguably should have been.  There was definitely some seriously shady behavior from McCain that shows him for what he is: Reckless on the economy, the number one issue facing him in this election.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
There was no conviction, althought there arguably should have been.  There was definitely some seriously shady behavior from McCain that shows him for what he is: Reckless on the economy, the number one issue facing him in this election.
The vid sure made him sound sketchy but I am always leary of potential Swift Boating this time of year.... :whistle:

Any idea why there was no conviction?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »
Excuse the langauge but I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this:

I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

Was there an investigation, charge, or conviction?  I must have missed it or else there was another conspiracy / cover-up.

I didn't know anything about it till I saw the video. The way the video looked it seems there should have been some kind of repercussions.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »

That's a GAS!!! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2008, 07:27:17 PM »

Good one. :rofl_2:
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »

Very funny! 

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »
The vid sure made him sound sketchy but I am always leary of potential Swift Boating this time of year.... :whistle:

Any idea why there was no conviction?

I don't know why.  Maybe it was just typical politics.  I know I've been drinking the Obama Kool-Aid, so my opinion is obviously biased.   

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
Obama still up by about 8% in a new poll released today.  The desperate personal attacks being forged by McCain and Palin are not working.  The economy is failing miserably and McCain is out there taking personal shots at Obama, while Obama plays it cool. 

Basically, this one is in the 3rd set, Obama has a 5-1 lead and he is serving it out....

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »
Obama up by double-digits nationwide.  More importantly, he is up in key states.  Looks like we are about to see the first minority president.  I think it will be a great day and a long time coming.  This shows that we have come a long way here in the US, with the exception of the "older generation."

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »
Obama up by double-digits nationwide.  More importantly, he is up in key states.  Looks like we are about to see the first minority president.  I think it will be a great day and a long time coming.  This shows that we have come a long way here in the US, with the exception of the "older generation."
Too bad he's not the best man for the job..... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
Too bad he's not the best man for the job..... :whistle:

Sure he is....he's smart, has good people skills and is well-liked around the world, he is a natural born leader, and he has worked for what he has achieved.  He's not a typical silver-spoon politician like Bush or McCain, who both have more money than we could ever dream of.  Obama started from humble beginnings and has reached his goals through hard work, intelligence, and good strategy.  He deserves more credit than you are giving him.