Author Topic: Obama Offers a Beautifully Packaged Lie  (Read 33507 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Obama Offers a Beautifully Packaged Lie
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »
This is one of my letters to Obama about the FDA having increased powers over dietary supplements.

Message sent to the following recipients:
Representative Emanuel
Senator Durbin
Senator Obama

<snip>

Sincerely,

Me
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the response From Obama.

<snip>

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

His response was wrong and ridiculous, like I've said in the past, Obama is too self serving and tries to sugar coat his statements.

You think Barack Obama wrote that???  :rofl_2:

I think he agreed with it. Any other original thoughts??  ..-)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
This is one of my letters to Obama about the FDA having increased powers over dietary supplements.

Representative Emanuel
Senator Durbin
Senator Obama

April 28, 2007

[recipient address was inserted here]

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

All Americans know that the FDA is in need of an overhaul. However, I
adamantly oppose S.1082, the Food and Drug Administration Revitalization
Act of 2007,  which is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Monday
afternoon, April 30, as well as any House companion bill.

I am outraged that this legislation creates a business relationship
between the FDA and private industry for the purpose of designing and
marketing drugs (pages 105-125 of the bill). We do not need an "FDA, Inc."
The lack of transparency between FDA management and the pharmaceutical
industry is one of my greatest concerns-how could the Senate possibly
consider legislation that places the FDA in charge of licensing
arrangements with private industry?

As one of the 150 million consumers of dietary supplements, I also find it
appalling that S.1082 gives the FDA new powers to attack dietary
supplements (pages 106-107).  We do not need more legislation that will
allow the FDA, at its whim, to suppress access to safe, natural health
options and dietary supplements.

This entire package of pharmaceutical industry-friendly FDA reform does
nothing to protect myself or my family from another Vioxx catastrophe.

1) I oppose the pharmaceutical industry funding the FDA for new drug
approvals, which S.1082 not only allows but increases. This is a conflict
of interest. 2) I demand that an independent office within the FDA be set
up to monitor the safety of drugs already on the market. The Institute of
Medicine has already told us that the FDA's current management is
dysfunctional; I want real reform at the FDA. 3) I want full disclosure of
all clinical trials, not the watered-down pharmaceutical industry-friendly
version in S.1082 that allows drug companies to hide their problems. 4) I
want all conflicts of interest removed from FDA advisory panels. There is
no need to have industry-sponsored "experts" voting on drugs which they
receive money to promote.  S.1082 supports the status quo; it is time for
meaningful change.

S.1082 tries to do too much at once and does nothing properly. Under the
pretense of drug safety, the real agenda of the legislation is to turn the
FDA into a drug company and increase FDA regulatory power that can be used
to attack dietary supplements. This 262- page bill was passed out of
committee without a hearing, and there is no report on it so members of
Congress do not even know what it contains. Please vote no on S1082 and on
the House companion bill.

Sincerely,

Me

Thank you for contacting me regarding the impact of the FDA Revitalization Act (S.1082) on dietary supplements. I appreciate hearing from you.

Research continues to demonstrate the necessity of a nutrient-rich diet for good health. At the same time, we are finding that society as a whole is consuming more processed, less nutritious foods. Often, individuals rely on supplements to ensure the proper intake of necessary nutrients.

Through the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994, Congress established supplement definitions, created a supplement commission, and established an Office of Dietary Supplements at the National Institute of Health (NIH). This was a positive step in both recognizing the benefits of supplements, as well as the need for proper regulation.

I share your distaste for unnecessary federal regulation. While I understand your concern with protecting access to dietary supplements, S.1082 should not unduly hinder such access and, indeed, is intended to provide consumer protection. It seems to me that we are doing a disservice to the public at large by not examining all possible risks and adverse health consequences associated with the use of dietary supplements. I do not see this as an attack on access to dietary supplements, and I hope that the information with which I have provided you will alleviate your concern.

On May 10th, S.1082 passed in the Senate and is now being considered by my colleagues in the House of Representatives. Although this is considered a "must pass" bill because the user fees that pharmaceutical companies pay the FDA for the drug review process are due to expire on September 20, 2007, I expect passage will face several obstacles. I will continue to work with my colleagues to take timely action on legislation, and you may be certain your priorities and concerns are on my mind.

. Again, MyName, thank you for writing. Please stay in touch in the days to come.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

His response was wrong and ridiculous, like I've said in the past, Obama is too self serving and tries to sugar coat his statements.

I was hoping he would give me a more solid response, like his real reasoning behind his vote. Just too superficial.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »

Representative Emanuel
Senator Durbin
Senator Obama

<snip>

Sincerely,

Me

<snip>

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

I smell staffer. Was the writing all shaky? Maybe it was Micheal J Fox.  :whistling:
But I agree. It's his policy, and his opinion. Right or wrong.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »

Representative Emanuel
Senator Durbin
Senator Obama

<snip>

Sincerely,

Me

<snip>

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

I smell staffer. Was the writing all shaky? Maybe it was Micheal J Fox.  :whistling:
But I agree. It's his policy, and his opinion. Right or wrong.

And what's your take on it? That's what I'm looking for, an opinion. True that you have to be up on the issue to really get into it. Just looking for opinions if anyone has one.  :cool:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »

And what's your take on it? That's what I'm looking for, an opinion. True that you have to be up on the issue to really get into it. Just looking for opinions if anyone has one.  :cool:

I don't know enough to have a take so I'll have my staffer write something up....

As you know I oppose all governmental interference with the free market (with the exception of legislating monopolistic practices). The FDA should not be in bed with the pharmaceuticals. I agree with you whole heartedly.
Please vote for me. :shiny:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:18:52 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »

I don't know enough to have a take so I'll have my staffer write something up....

As you know I oppose all governmental interference with corporations (with the exception of legislating monopolistic practices). The FDA should not be in bed with the pharmaceuticals. I agree with you whole heartedly.

You're sounding more presidential all the time. But give me more.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »

As you know I oppose all governmental interference with corporations (with the exception of legislating monopolistic practices). The FDA should not be in bed with the pharmaceuticals. I agree with you whole heartedly.

I got nothin'
What's a Vioxx catastrophy (dare I ask)?

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »

I got nothin'
What's a Vioxx catastrophy (dare I ask)?

The drug was linked to thousands of heart attacks and strokes, the FDA tried to do a cover up when there was evidence of the drug not being safe, protecting Merck, the drug giant. People were dying and the FDA seemed to be protecting the company.

911 was nothing compared to the number of deaths that could of been avoided by action from the FDA, do you understand?

Here's one story about it if you care to read about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-10-12-vioxx-cover_x.htm

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2008, 05:57:55 AM »
the thing I dislike the most about Clinton was the he did nothing to prevent Talibans/Osama/Al Qadea. He didnt notice the danger at all and was too passive with Afganisthan turning into a crazy state with the talibans and the bombings of US embassies in Africa.
Then you may find this link of some interest!
http://clintoncrimes.tripod.com/ClintonsBinLadenGateMotherofallScandals/id4.html

One of the main reasons I voted for Bush twice is that he was the last person terrorists wanted to see in the white house. From what I've seen the GOP is the more "country safe" ticket right now. People seem to forget the terrorists when nothing happens for awhile, not everybody but many. It's still not over!!!

I hear you but why is Bin Laden, and many of his others, still out there if Bush was to be the man? 

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »
the thing I dislike the most about Clinton was the he did nothing to prevent Talibans/Osama/Al Qadea. He didnt notice the danger at all and was too passive with Afganisthan turning into a crazy state with the talibans and the bombings of US embassies in Africa.
http://clintoncrimes.tripod.com/ClintonsBinLadenGateMotherofallScandals/id4.html

One of the main reasons I voted for Bush twice is that he was the last person terrorists wanted to see in the white house. From what I've seen the GOP is the more "country safe" ticket right now. People seem to forget the terrorists when nothing happens for awhile, not everybody but many. It's still not over!!!

I hear you but why is Bin Laden, and many of his others, still out there if Bush was to be the man? 

thanks Monster! interesting read!
probably terrorist groups will always be out there in the future trying to attack the western countries.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
Swish,

Speaking as a Pharmacist, there are many dietary supplements that go unchecked and are found to contain actual drugs (often times dangerous) or analogs of drugs.  There are often harmful impurities found as well.  Many of these companies are fined and their illegal products pulled off the market.  While there are many great supplements out there, we have seen way too many that contain illegal, harmful, unclaimed, supratherapeutic, or subtherapeutic agents.  More oversight is needed in the dietary supplement area.  That's my 2 cents. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »

They capture who they can. No one can get then all, and more are being found out about all the time. You misunderstood my post, I didn't say Bush could get any terrorist he wanted.
I think Bush was the strongest man to defend our country against them.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:01 PM »
Swish,

Speaking as a Pharmacist, there are many dietary supplements that go unchecked and are found to contain actual drugs (often times dangerous) or analogs of drugs.  There are often harmful impurities found as well.  Many of these companies are fined and their illegal products pulled off the market.  While there are many great supplements out there, we have seen way too many that contain illegal, harmful, unclaimed, supratherapeutic, or subtherapeutic agents.  More oversight is needed in the dietary supplement area.  That's my 2 cents. 

Thanks for your input but I disagree to some extent. Because these companies have essays done by independent labs, it's just not as official as the FDA's regulatory process. The same goes for food, some can have pesticides, stored in rat infested areas and so forth. No FDA oversight is needed.
When was the last time we heard about deaths attributed to vitamins or supplements. The biggest problem is not life threatening with the vits and supplements, it's having the required dosage. The cases you mentioned are extremely rare. If it wasn't rare the FDA would have already used it as an argument to persuade the senate and congress to give them that power but they haven't had anything serious to stand on, you can believe me or check it out yourself.

Many share your opinion however.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:32:56 PM by swish »

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »
Colin Powell endorses Obama.  He should try recruiting Powell to be his Sec of Defense.  That would provide folks with comfort and maybe pick up a few extra votes....

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
Colin Powell endorses Obama.  He should try recruiting Powell to be his Sec of Defense.  That would provide folks with comfort and maybe pick up a few extra votes....

Powell; who is a major partner at Kleiner Perkins which is one of the big money players behind Obama.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »

Powell; who is a major partner at Kleiner Perkins which is one of the big money players behind Obama.
Oh my, what a surprise.... :\
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »
Do you guys think the Powell endorsement was about race.  You know I'm for Obama, but I think there may be a racial element involved here as well.  I asked myself, would Powell endorse Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden?  The answer I came up with was "no way."  They have almost the same philosophy as Obama, so what is the difference?  hmmmmmmmmm  I still hope Obama wins anyway, but just saying....

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »
Do you guys think the Powell endorsement was about race.  You know I'm for Obama, but I think there may be a racial element involved here as well.  I asked myself, would Powell endorse Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden?  The answer I came up with was "no way."  They have almost the same philosophy as Obama, so what is the difference?  hmmmmmmmmm  I still hope Obama wins anyway, but just saying....

Powell has never struck me as very race conscious. I think it has to do with partnerships rather than race.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #278 on: October 20, 2008, 08:02:07 PM »

Doubt it. Barack was still black 3 months ago, so if the Powell endorsement was purely based on race, he would have endorsed Obama long ago. I think it's interesting how McCain supporters are never faced with such a question. On Meet the Press this past Sunday, he gave very detailed, well thought out, convincing reasons for supporting Obama.

One thing we should take note of is the fact that the republican party has been taken over by neo cons, true conservatives no longer call the shots in the republican party. People like Powell and  Buckley are true conservatives or RINO's as they are sometimes called. So, his endorsement of Obama has a lot to do with the fact that he as well as many true conservatives do not like the direction the republican party is headed as well as the McCain campaign tactics. I truly believe that his endorsement of Senator Obama is genuine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:07:40 PM by Pacer »
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »

Colin Powell on Meet the Press
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs43RR7IiNU[/youtube]
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.