Author Topic: Obama Offers a Beautifully Packaged Lie  (Read 35847 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Obama Offers a Beautifully Packaged Lie
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »
NOTHING in politics is genuine.  :whistle:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2008, 08:35:05 AM »
Do you guys think the Powell endorsement was about race.  You know I'm for Obama, but I think there may be a racial element involved here as well.  I asked myself, would Powell endorse Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden?  The answer I came up with was "no way."  They have almost the same philosophy as Obama, so what is the difference?  hmmmmmmmmm  I still hope Obama wins anyway, but just saying....

Doubt it. Barack was still black 3 months ago, so if the Powell endorsement was purely based on race, he would have endorsed Obama long ago. I think it's interesting how McCain supporters are never faced with such a question. On Meet the Press this past Sunday, he gave very detailed, well thought out, convincing reasons for supporting Obama.

One thing we should take note of is the fact that the republican party has been taken over by neo cons, true conservatives no longer call the shots in the republican party. People like Powell and  Buckley are true conservatives or RINO's as they are sometimes called. So, his endorsement of Obama has a lot to do with the fact that he as well as many true conservatives do not like the direction the republican party is headed as well as the McCain campaign tactics. I truly believe that his endorsement of Senator Obama is genuine.

I hope you are right, although in the end it doesn't really matter.  There are so many whites out there who will not vote for Obama based on his race.  It's truly a shame that the racial dynamics are really becoming strong in this race.  I think an Obama loss, as unlikely as that loooks right now, would set this Nation back 50 years.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »
Do you guys think the Powell endorsement was about race.  You know I'm for Obama, but I think there may be a racial element involved here as well.  I asked myself, would Powell endorse Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden?  The answer I came up with was "no way."  They have almost the same philosophy as Obama, so what is the difference?  hmmmmmmmmm  I still hope Obama wins anyway, but just saying....

Powell has never struck me as very race conscious. I think it has to do with partnerships rather than race.

I've always thought Powell was a good guy, if not sometimes misguided by the Bush admin.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »

Doubt it. Barack was still black 3 months ago, so if the Powell endorsement was purely based on race, he would have endorsed Obama long ago. I think it's interesting how McCain supporters are never faced with such a question. On Meet the Press this past Sunday, he gave very detailed, well thought out, convincing reasons for supporting Obama.

One thing we should take note of is the fact that the republican party has been taken over by neo cons, true conservatives no longer call the shots in the republican party. People like Powell and  Buckley are true conservatives or RINO's as they are sometimes called. So, his endorsement of Obama has a lot to do with the fact that he as well as many true conservatives do not like the direction the republican party is headed as well as the McCain campaign tactics. I truly believe that his endorsement of Senator Obama is genuine.

I hope you are right, although in the end it doesn't really matter.  There are so many whites out there who will not vote for Obama based on his race.  It's truly a shame that the racial dynamics are really becoming strong in this race.  I think an Obama loss, as unlikely as that loooks right now, would set this Nation back 50 years.

Well, maybe they can look at the 'white' side of him instead? :innocent:  His mother is white, his dad was black.  I know... I know... in American if you have even a drop of black blood in you, you're considered black.   :rofl_2:

Man, I'm going to be in Washington, DC ON election day.  I bet it will be crazy there.  And yes, I have already voted! :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2008, 05:25:31 AM »

Well, maybe they can look at the 'white' side of him instead? :innocent:  His mother is white, his dad was black.  I know... I know... in American if you have even a drop of black blood in you, you're considered black.   :rofl_2:

Man, I'm going to be in Washington, DC ON election day.  I bet it will be crazy there.  And yes, I have already voted! :))
DC on election day?  WOW!
Any plans as to where you'll be watching the election results roll in during the day/evening?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »
This probably has something to do with me not being an American and understand the politics very well and the love for baseball, but this is one of the most stupid things I have ever read:

US Republican presidential candidate John McCain has accused his rival, Barack Obama, of supporting both teams playing in the baseball World Series.

The baseball championship series begins on Wednesday, and both teams - the Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies - are from key swing states.

Senator McCain said Mr Obama backed the Phillies when in Pennsylvania and rooted for Tampa Bay when in Florida.

But the Obama campaign said that its candidate was a Chicago White Sox fan.

An important election and McCain is having a go at his rival for supporting 2 teams?  :Confused:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »
This probably has something to do with me not being an American and understand the politics very well and the love for baseball, but this is one of the most stupid things I have ever read:

US Republican presidential candidate John McCain has accused his rival, Barack Obama, of supporting both teams playing in the baseball World Series.

The baseball championship series begins on Wednesday, and both teams - the Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies - are from key swing states.

Senator McCain said Mr Obama backed the Phillies when in Pennsylvania and rooted for Tampa Bay when in Florida.

An important election and McCain is having a go at his rival for supporting 2 teams?  :Confused:
...or an indication of someone unwilling to take a stand on something as simple as baseball team. :Confused:

Or perhaps he just doesn't care..... :Confused:      How UnAmerican! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »

...or an indication of someone unwilling to take a stand on something as simple as baseball team. :Confused:

Or perhaps he just doesn't care..... :Confused:      How UnAmerican! :rofl_2:

Or willing to sell his allegiance for a few votes. But really, who cares. That pretty much describes any politician, including McCain. Who is he; getting on a high horse?

An ambition fulfilled

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2008, 08:10:52 PM »

Any plans as to where you'll be watching the election results roll in during the day/evening?

Well, I'm going to meet another poster here earlier that day to put a face with a name. Then I'll probably hang around the hotel that night because  I'm sure it'll be crazy there.  My hotel is about 3 blocks from the Capitol building too.  The rest of the week will be busy in conferences and I have to do a presentation on that Thursday.  I can relax after that presentation.  Hopefully it'll be a "good" week for me as far as the votes go...

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »

Well, I'm going to meet another poster here earlier that day to put a face with a name. Then I'll probably hang around the hotel that night because  I'm sure it'll be crazy there.  My hotel is about 3 blocks from the Capitol building too.  The rest of the week will be busy in conferences and I have to do a presentation on that Thursday.  I can relax after that presentation.  Hopefully it'll be a "good" week for me as far as the votes go...

euroka lives out that way. Don't blow off euroka, Dallas. He liked us O.K., so just don't make an ass of yourself when you meet him and you'll get along just fine.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:41:25 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2008, 08:43:15 PM »

euroka lives out that way. Don't blow off euroka, Dallas. He liked us O.K., so just don't make an ass of yourself when you meet him and you'll get along just fine.

Yes Euroka and I will be meeting earlier that day.  And I NEVER makes an ... out of myself!  Never, ever!!!!! I'm cool, and calm.  The only one I may go overboard and really make an ...out of myself is when and if I ever meet Roger the man himself!!! :rofl_2:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »

Yes Euroka and I will be meeting earlier that day.  And I NEVER makes an ... out of myself!  Never, ever!!!!! I'm cool, and calm.  The only one I may go overboard and really make an ...out of myself is when and if I ever meet Roger the man himself!!! :rofl_2:

You mean you don't .. ..-).. over a certain Swiss tennis player (or two)

An ambition fulfilled

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #292 on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »

You mean you don't .. ..-).. over a certain Swiss tennis player (or two)

:)~

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #293 on: October 26, 2008, 11:18:05 PM »
Alaska's largest newspaper endorses Obama

4 hours ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The Anchorage Daily News, Alaska's largest newspaper, endorsed Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama Sunday after declaring Gov. Sarah Palin "too risky" to be one step away from the Oval Office.

"Like picking (Republican presidential candidate John) McCain for president, putting her one 72-year-old heartbeat from the leadership of the free world is just too risky at this time," The Daily News said.

The newspaper said Obama "brings far more promise to the office. In a time of grave economic crisis, he displays thoughtful analysis, enlists wise counsel and operates with a cool, steady hand."

The Daily News said since the economic crisis has emerged, McCain has "stumbled and fumbled badly" in dealing with it.

"Of the two candidates, Sen. Obama better understands the mortgage meltdown's root causes and has the judgment and intelligence to shape a solution, as well as the leadership to rally the country behind it," the paper said.

The Daily News said Palin has shown the country why she is a success as governor. But the paper said few would argue that Palin is truly ready to step into the job of being president despite her passion, charisma and strong work ethic.

"Gov. Palin's nomination clearly alters the landscape for Alaskans as we survey this race for the presidency — but it does not overwhelm all other judgment. The election, after all is said and done, is not about Sarah Palin, and our sober view is that her running mate, Sen. John McCain, is the wrong choice for president at this critical time for our nation," the paper said.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #294 on: October 27, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »

4 hours ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The Anchorage Daily News, Alaska's largest newspaper, endorsed Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama Sunday after declaring Gov. Sarah Palin "too risky" to be one step away from the Oval Office.

"Like picking (Republican presidential candidate John) McCain for president, putting her one 72-year-old heartbeat from the leadership of the free world is just too risky at this time," The Daily News said.

The newspaper said Obama "brings far more promise to the office. In a time of grave economic crisis, he displays thoughtful  :rofl_2:analysis, enlists wise counsel and operates with a cool, steady hand."

The Daily News said since the economic crisis has emerged, McCain has "stumbled and fumbled badly" in dealing with it.

"Of the two candidates, Sen. Obama better understands the mortgage meltdown's root causes and has the judgment and intelligence to shape a solution, as well as the leadership to rally the country behind it," the paper said.

The Daily News said Palin has shown the country why she is a success as governor. But the paper said few would argue that Palin is truly ready to step into the job of being president despite her passion, charisma and strong work ethic.

"Gov. Palin's nomination clearly alters the landscape for Alaskans as we survey this race for the presidency — but it does not overwhelm all other judgment. The election, after all is said and done, is not about Sarah Palin, and our sober view is that her running mate, Sen. John McCain, is the wrong choice for president at this critical time for our nation," the paper said.

Not to mention that Palin's husband wants Alaska to break apart from the US.  Is that patriotic?   :rofl_2:

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #295 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »

4 hours ago

The newspaper said Obama "brings far more promise to the office. In a time of grave economic crisis, he displays thoughtful analysis, enlists wise counsel and operates with a cool, steady hand."

Well that's a slap in the face to the Republicians... :rofl_2:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #296 on: October 27, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
It's in the bag. It's been in the bag in the primaries.
Sometimes, though, it's not really a good thing to get what you wish for.
In this case the democrates will control both the executive and the congress. They will be in near complete control. But we won't be any better off than we are now, or were 4 years ago. In fact it may very well be much much worse. And it will be blamed on Obama, and the democrates, just like it was with Carter in the '70s.

An ambition fulfilled

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #297 on: October 27, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »
It's in the bag. It's been in the bag in the primaries.
Sometimes, though, it's not really a good thing to get what you wish for.
In this case the democrates will control both the executive and the congress. They will be in near complete control. But we won't be any better off than we are now, or were 4 years ago. In fact it may very well be much much worse. And it will be blamed on Obama, and the democrates, just like it was with Carter in the '70s.

Well, if the Republicans get control it'll be much much worse so we can't win then... but I still rather see a change somewhere than the way it's going now.  (just me).

I've already voted.  What about you guys?  I went the first day of our early voting since I'll be traveling on the actual voting day.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #298 on: October 27, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »
Dmast, the chances of it getting worse has to be very very low! 

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #299 on: October 27, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
I voted last night on an absentee ballot.