Poll

Should the rules be changed so that players are only allowed one serve?

No.  The rule is fine the way it is.
24 (85.7%)
Yes.  But only for the ATP.
2 (7.1%)
Yes.  For both WTA and ATP
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 15, 2008, 09:31:17 AM

Author Topic: The Serve  (Read 8267 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
The Serve
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
Ovg brought this up in another thread and I figured it was worth a poll.

What do you think and why?

Ovg-  "I'm techno challenged that's why I can't make a thread about the 1 serve idea,

but I'd sure like to know everyone's opinion on it."
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: The Serve
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
I see someone voted for ATP only.

"You've come a long way baby!" ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:20:45 AM »
I took 2 serves.

I wouldn't want such a fundamental change to the game.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
2 for me as well.  I think it is critical to the game to have variety.  I think going to just one serve would contribute to the ongoing decline in variety in the game.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »
I'm with keep it as it is. While 1 serve would make it more challenging to hold serve without doing 2nd serves all the time, it would also lose variety. What would we do without a 1st serve? There would hardly be any aces anymore unless players took the risk to do a big serve.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
I'm with keep it as it is. While 1 serve would make it more challenging to hold serve without doing 2nd serves all the time, it would also lose variety. What would we do without a 1st serve? There would hardly be any aces anymore unless players took the risk to do a big serve.

It's interesting you bring up the return of serve. Many people point to the racquet technology and advances making the serve bigger and more powerful. Leading to more aces and more boring tennis.
But I recently read (and I think I commented on) an article that pointed out serve return statistics. It seems the technology has actually evened things about a bit. Returners today are having much better success than they did 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:38:46 AM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
My coach seems to think that tennis is slowly becoming a big man's game. So we were discussing it a bit and he believes since the taller dudes have a better trajectory, and therefore have bigger serves that are more consistent and reliable. That eventually as the game progresses and it becomes more of a big man's game the ATP may have to adopt this 1 serve policy to prevent serve domination and make the game more enjoyable for spectators.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
My coach seems to think that tennis is slowly becoming a big man's game. So we were discussing it a bit and he believes since the taller dudes have a better trajectory, and therefore have bigger serves that are more consistent and reliable. That eventually as the game progresses and it becomes more of a big man's game the ATP may have to adopt this 1 serve policy to prevent serve domination and make the game more enjoyable for spectators.
I think it's interesting there is a discussion regarding possible attempts to limit the serve in the future but no such discussion on limiting the current epidemic of baseline bashing. :;:-|

I've been using that smiley alot lately.... :Confused: :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »
Just for the record, I don't buy my coaches argument. I don't believe that tennis is becoming a big man's game. I've seen no evidence of that. I still hold that the ideal height for a tennis player is between 6 '1-6'3.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »

I do think the additional topspin that players use is also a part of the discusion. I'm watch Querry give the ultimate topspinner trouble because of that. Tsonga beat him because of it, I believe. These balls are all bouncing right into Querry's sweetspot.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »

I do think the additional topspin that players use is also a part of the discusion. I'm watch Querry give the ultimate topspinner trouble because of that. Tsonga beat him because of it, I believe. These balls are all bouncing right into Querry's sweetspot.

That's a good point. The big guys have an advantage on serve but also aren't as bothered by these high bouncing topspin balls because it just doesn't get as high up on them. And like you said much of the time it's in their target zone so they can stay on offense more often than other players.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
interesting answers.

i went with both atp/wta 1 serve. why? 'cause i have to be different.  :)~

besides, it'll never happen. and if it did, i don't mind, I kind of hate the whole serve, serve, serve, serve... point is over game. It's very boring and even if rare, I don't want to see it.  :))

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:26:21 PM »
I think they should fine players if they go over 140mph.lmao
Be the change that you seek.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
I've thought about this too.

I had this pretty well thought out at one point, but now I see there are pros and cons and would probably change my vote to keep it as is.

Pros:
*IMO it would force players to construct points and develop all-court games. I think we'd see players with much more variety. :thumbs-up:

Cons:
*I'm afraid it would turn the ATP into the WTA-like breakfests.   :thumb-down:  :thumb-down:  If Cons out weigh the Pros, I'd leave things as they are. But I'd sure like to see it in WTT so we have a better understanding of exactly how it plays out.   :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:36:06 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »
Just for the record, I don't buy my coaches argument. I don't believe that tennis is becoming a big man's game. I've seen no evidence of that. I still hold that the ideal height for a tennis player is between 6 '1-6'3.

Believe it or not, 6' 1"-6' 3" a BIG MAN.  The average man in USA 5' 9". 

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
No way on this change for me...I like 2 serves. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 08:47:34 AM »

Is that not the waistline? :)~

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:24 AM »

lol  Brits are some of the fattest creatures that have ever walked this planet.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »

McDonalds. KFC. Burger King. TGI Fridays. What do they all have in common?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

McDonalds. KFC. Burger King. TGI Fridays. What do they all have in common?

You find them on every corner in London.