Author Topic: Quotes within quotes within quotes  (Read 9289 times)

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Quotes within quotes within quotes
« on: September 02, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
Just thought I'd suggest something to improve the readability of the board. In replies, do we really need quotes within quotes within quotes? Sometimes, in long threads, you get a post where you have a quoted text and then in the next post, you have the quote within the quote plus the reply. Why not just quote the last reply only? Sometimes, it gets really heavy and you end up having the same text repeating itself ten times on one page because people reply with quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes, etc.

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Why am I reading this same text again?
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

where you quote only the last post that you want to respond to, instead of the 15 posts that were quoted before hand? Not sure if I'm making sense here.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Quotes within quotes within quotes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:27:36 AM »
I try to remove posts from quotes that I do not need.  I agree though, it gets to be a lot.  Doubly hard to sort through when browsing on my phonage...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »
You are clearly making way too much sense!   :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »
Just thought I'd suggest something to improve the readability of the board. In replies, do we really need quotes within quotes within quotes? Sometimes, in long threads, you get a post where you have a quoted text and then in the next post, you have the quote within the quote plus the reply. Why not just quote the last reply only? Sometimes, it gets really heavy and you end up having the same text repeating itself ten times on one page because people reply with quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes, etc.

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

where you quote only the last post that you want to respond to, instead of the 15 posts that were quoted before hand? Not sure if I'm making sense here.
I try to remove posts from quotes that I do not need.  I agree though, it gets to be a lot.  Doubly hard to sort through when browsing on my phonage...
You are clearly making way too much sense!   :rofl_2:

Couldn't agree more with all of you  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:12:35 PM »

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

Stop overquoting! This is clogging up my computer screen.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:07:19 AM »
Maybe you didn't quite get that one dk

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »
I got it. Why do you think I overquoted myself? To prove the point that it clogs up the screen!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:26:50 PM by DirtyKash »

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »
Is there a way to just quote the last post without going in and deleting out the previous posts?   I don't have time for all that. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
Is there a way to just quote the last post without going in and deleting out the previous posts?   I don't have time for all that. 

You could click reply, and then go down and choose the original post you want to quote (instead of the one that has numerous quotes in it).
But it doesn't really take too much time to just hightlight the posts in the middle and delete them.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »

You could click reply, and then go down and choose the original post you want to quote (instead of the one that has numerous quotes in it).
But it doesn't really take too much time to just hightlight the posts in the middle and delete them.

Either way still takes a bit of time to be careful to get the post that you want or to remove the crap that you don't want! 

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:38:27 AM »

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

What kind of idiot would quote quotes?  You've got to be totally clueless to do that....
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

What kind of idiot would quote quotes?  You've got to be totally clueless to do that....

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

I rest my case.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

I rest my case.

Yea, your right...I don't know who these people think they are!
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

Instead of this:

Text
More text
Even more text
Yet more text
Again more text!

Why not just have:

Again more text!

I rest my case.

Yea, your right...I don't know who these people think they are!

They're probably people that can only be described as having nothing between the ears!  :zipped:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »
What the..................... :;:-|

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
Back to the original point: there should in theory be a way to fix the quote feature so that it only quotes the last post, and not every single post that was made. I think that would help. Just my two cents.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »
Back to the original point: there should in theory be a way to fix the quote feature so that it only quotes the last post, and not every single post that was made. I think that would help. Just my two cents.

Exactly!  I would be interested to know if this feature exists or could be added!? 

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
I did not see anything, I will continue to look.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »
OK, so apparently I have the option.  But what does everyone prefer?  It would be set one way or the other.  Apparently you cannot have both.
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 07:41:51 AM »
OK, so apparently I have the option.  But what does everyone prefer?  It would be set one way or the other.  Apparently you cannot have both.

That makes it kinda tough but I guess only quoting 1 post would be slightly better.   That would end the 100 quotes of coffee man smiley!   ;-()