Author Topic: Martial arts training  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Martial arts training
« on: April 08, 2005, 03:07:01 PM »
I'm considering starting martial arts training to help get myself back into proper condition. I'm wondering is there one form that is better than the other? I don't know allot about martial arts other than what I've seen on Kung Fu movies, but I hear it's good training for tennis. I hear you can get some training videos too, Has anyone taking Mrtial arts? and what is the best form?
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Martial arts training
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 03:42:30 PM »
Beats me.  I took Jiu-Jitsu in college which was a freaking plast.  1/2 stand up fighting and 1/2 ground fighting.  I liked the ground fighting a lot, especially since that is where most street fights end up.  It is basically lethal wrestling.  I learned a lot, it didn't help my tennis, but I can defend myself nicely.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Lucile

Martial arts training
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:13:01 PM »
Well I know  not one thing about martial arts but I took up Kick boxing a couple years ago. And I'll tell you I'm in the best shape of my life at 45 years old. I'm fitter and stronger then I was when I was 25. Kick boxing is the best decision I've ever made and yes my tennis game has improved immensely, I play better then I ever had and can last much longer. Kick boxing will help you get conditioned very quick and will give you balance, good footwork, flexibility, coordination, and develop your reflexes. You should think about it, you won't regret it.

Anonymous

Martial arts training
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 06:07:02 PM »
I'ts funny that this subject came up because I'm about to start a Kung Fu class on Monday. Like you I don't know allot about martial arts but I can't see why it wouldn't help with tennis and I think it would also help with focus. It couldn't hurt to try it out.

Anonymous

Martial arts training
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »
Oh yeah and yoga is amazing to it really helps me with concentration and focus and ofcourse flexibility.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Martial arts training
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 06:32:42 PM »
Kick boxing sounds really cool. I tried yoga and I felt like I was going to break something but I'm gonna take it up again but I'm going to try beginners yoga though.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Anonymous

Martial arts training
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 07:33:53 PM »
Yes if your gonna start yoga you should take a begining class otherwise you'll be out of your league. I've been doing yoga for 13 years, there are some real good videos out there too.

MC Ill Guest

Re: Martial arts training
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 05:53:13 AM »
Quote from: "Pacer92110"
I'm considering starting martial arts training to help get myself back into proper condition.
For conditioning, you can't beat kick boxing and tae kwon do.  In a street fight, kick boxing is much more effective, and in general a kick boxing workout will tire you out a lot quicker than tae kwon do.  Tae Kwon Do has it advantages (flexibility, better concentration, beautiful kicks...), too, but it requires a lot more dedication than kick boxing.
I'm wondering is there one form that is better than the other? I don't know allot about martial arts other than what I've seen on Kung Fu movies, but I hear it's good training for tennis. I hear you can get some training videos too, Has anyone taking Mrtial arts? and what is the best form?
Overall, I think the speed, explosiveness, strength, balance, endurance, and power you develop in kick boxing will translate pretty well to the tennis court.  The real advantage in the case of tennis is the hand speed and coordination you'll develop by boxing that you can't from Tae Kwon Do.  The latter isn't great for hand techniques.

If you want kung fu, I recommend wing chun.  It's pretty good in street fights and it develops incredible hand speed and feel, great for volleys.  Kenpo, or Kempo, Chinese or otherwise, is also great for developing hand speed and power.  But I can't vouch for Kenpo having never taken it.  

If you want to kick ass in a one on one street fight, like Scott said, a grappling style is best.  But it won't necessarily get you into better shape.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Martial arts training
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 12:57:04 PM »
Wow you seem pretty knowledgeable about martial arts. So it seems like Kick boxing is the best form for conditioning, So I'm going to try that out and see how it goes. Hopefully it will get me back in proper condition by the summer. Thanks for all the info I really appreciate that.