Author Topic: Beginner`s Question  (Read 1792 times)

Offline TijmenK

• New Poster
Beginner`s Question
« on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »
Hi All,

Although I am already 22 years of age, I believe it is never too late to start playing tennis  :))

Last year I have mostly been working out in the gym getting some muscles, but that is getting quite boring! So I started playing tennis with  a friend of my, we are getting really dedicated to the game!!
Now we have played for a week with simple borrowed rackets and are now confident to get really serious start taking lessons and practice… (I believe I learn this game fast and be able to put much time in it.)

Now my question is what the best thing to do is with getting a new racket.

My situation is that money is not a big problem.. I can afford myself an Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 or  Babolat AeroPro Drive Cortex. (I have almost bought an Babolat AeroPro Drive because Nadal uses the same, it can`t be an bad racket than.. right?   :)~ But then I read that it is only useful for pro`s…..)
As a child as I am, I really want an good racket better yesterday that today. A racket for the future that is good enough and I can get used to. (I know it doesn`t make me an good player but it will help me get there!)

Is it really important to start with an simple racket instead of an expensive (specialized) one?

As far as I know my type of playing, I train myself to stay at the baseline and try to get some effects in the ball and hit them hard!!! (Still very difficult but I am learning :D)
What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Beginner`s Question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
Well, like we have said in the past, as a beginner a great racquet will do you no better than just a racquet.  If money is not an issue then swing by Tenniswarehouse and check out their tweener racquets and see if anything suits your fancy.  Tweener racquets are for beginners and (I think) players racquets are the nex tstep from there.

Welcome to the game and welcome to the forums!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
Well, like we have said in the past, as a beginner a great racquet will do you no better than just a racquet.  If money is not an issue then swing by Tenniswarehouse and check out their tweener racquets and see if anything suits your fancy.  Tweener racquets are for beginners and (I think) players racquets are the nex tstep from there.

If you have a need to spend money then go for it. Spend away. Better yet, go pick up a racquet at Sports Authority for $39.99 and then send me the $100 you save.
The bottom line is if you are just starting to play tennis, buying a players racquet isn't going to be helpful for you. Find out who you are before you start looking for the perfect racquet.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »
Wait a minute!  I would rather have the money you save.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »
Wait a minute!  I would rather have the money you save.  :)

It's MINE!  :Sword Fight:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »
Well shoot, if you are going to use swords you can have it!
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »
Well shoot, if you are going to use swords you can have it!

:yahoo:  :grind dance:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 07:48:07 AM »
Dmast didn't elaborate enough I fear.  What Dmast was saying is find out what type of player you are and get a racquet that suits your style.  Some people have long strokes, some people have short compact strokes.  Some like heavier racquets and some like lighter.  In the end, the best advice here is to demo racquets.  Just ask the places that sell them if you can demo some of their racquets.  You get to take them for a week and see how they feel to you...............then you will have a better idea what you like. 

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »

I agree with that. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!