Poll

Who will win a major first: Murray or Jankovic?

Andy Murray
Jelena Jankovic

Author Topic: Murray vs Jankovic: Who will win a major first?  (Read 14029 times)

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Murray vs Jankovic: Who will win a major first?
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:12:10 PM »
Both Andy Murray and Jelena Jankovic just made their first ever major final at the US Open. Both lost in straight sets against a juggernaut (Serena/Federer). Both are still relatively young (23 for Jankovic, 21 for Murray). Both are ranked in the top 4 in the world (2 for Jankovic, 4 for Murray). Who will win a major first?

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
Re: Murray vs Jankovic: Who will win a major first?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »
Andy Roddick.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 03:57:26 AM »

Jankovic doesn't seem to have the attitude to won in big moments. Atleast, that is the impression I have got. She seems happy to make it to the big ocassion and then lose.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:12:10 AM »
I say JJ because she is more likely to get to a final and play against someone she can beat than Murray is.  Murray will have to beat at least 2 or 3 really tough players to get it done. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
I'd have to say Murray is more capable, but I think Janks is more likely.
Murray has to get through at least 3 dedicated professionals in Nadal, Federer and Djokovic, in addition to a host of up and comers.
Janks' competition are the Williams sisters, who seem to have dedicated themselves to tennis, but still don't play enough, Shrieks, who is injured, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova and perhaps Dementieva. All of who suffer from nerves, and none of whom can hold their serve in a big moment.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:19:17 AM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »
Jankovic, because the women are just unpredictable at times...She has a real shot at the French Open in my opinion. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »
Jankovic might be the most likely to win the French Open.   I really cant see a Williams ever winning that particular slam again.    I would like her chances in a rematch with Ivanovic even if Ana gets back on track.   Dementieva might never win a slam at this point, she really blew her shot at the French and U.S Open both this year, she is getting old to keep doing that.     Safina is looking more and more like a headcase in the big matches.
Sharapova wont win the French even if she returns healthy as a big force on tour.   

I actually think Jankovic will win the French next year probably.   So I think the only way Murray gets in first I think is if he wins the Australian Open, and while he could it is more likely not to happen then to happen.  Anyway Jankovic could be in the top 3 or 4 to win there herself, and while the Williams are more capable there then they are at the French at that point they are also much more vurnerable there then Wimbledon or the U.S Open, in fact Venus hasnt been past the quarters there in forever it seems.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:24:28 PM by kittens25 »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
Murray has Nadal, Roger and Novak.......one of them will eventually get him on hardcourt Slams, no chance on clay or grass!

Offline Borovnia

• Tennis God
  • March 27th 1999 - August 9th 2008
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »
My vote for Jelena, Andy had a great chance, it might be a long time before he has a second one.

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
Jelena if I had to pick one. Too many tough guys to wade through for Murray to get a Slam in the next 3-4 years.

However, she seems to be more content showing off her flexibility and watching t.v. then she does really committing to the task at hand. I'd of thought she would have outgrown that type behavior by now. But the comp. isn't as strong so I could see her winning one before Andy.

I wouldn't be surprised if neither ever won a major.
Marching Towards the Abyss.............

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline Tatiana

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »
Jankovic.

Even though Murray is a better player, it is harder to win slams for men these days than for women now .... WTA is so unpredictable anyone can win....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:04:53 PM by Tatiana »

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
It seems pretty strong in Jelenas favor so far.   What is in her favor is more the WTA field vs the ATP then her own abilities vs Murrays.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 12:39:11 AM »
I said Jankovic just because of the disarray the WTA is in right now.  Heck, with so many injuries, there may be a lot of different winners.  I think it'll be easier for her to win first since there are not a lot of higher ranked players that she has to go through.  Murray will possibly have to still go through the big 3 before he can win... (which may happen), but Jankovic has a better shot (to me).

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
Jankovic most likely will win a slam first.  Murray has no chance to win RG, and I don't think he would win Wimbledon either.  His best chance is on hardcourts but I think Djokovic and Federer are still better than him on hardcourts. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
Jankovic most likely will win a slam first.  Murray has no chance to win RG, and I don't think he would win Wimbledon either.  His best chance is on hardcourts but I think Djokovic and Federer are still better than him on hardcourts. 

If Murray fit i Fancy him 2 win the Australian Open,so i think he win a slam first.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »

If Murray fit i Fancy him 2 win the Australian Open,so i think he win a slam first.

We wouldn't think you would say anything less sid. :rofl_2:

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »
This poll might never get decided.