Poll

Who will win a major first: Murray or Jankovic?

Andy Murray
Jelena Jankovic

Author Topic: Murray vs Jankovic: Who will win a major first?  (Read 15292 times)

Offline LATONYACH30

• Tennis Player
Re: Murray vs Jankovic: Who will win a major first?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »
 :)>>>> Murray...Andy Murray...for AO '11 :)>>>>
   BOOK IT! :)>>>> :rofl_2:

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 03:58:15 AM »
If it doesn't happen today for Murray, it might never happen. This is his best chance and he's letting it slip.

Offline NadalGrafboy

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 05:39:43 AM »
Neither will ever win a major.   Actually Jankovic won the mixed doubles so I guess only she will.   :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »
If it doesn't happen today for Murray, it might never happen. This is his best chance and he's letting it slip.
I think we'll be seeing more of him in slam finals.
Let's hope he brings a different attitude on court next time.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

Murray can play aggressive, as we have seen him do against Rafa and Federer before. I still believe that he will win a slam one of these days.  he needs a full time coach that can change his passive mentality especially in big matches.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Wow! What a great poll this turned out to be.

Kind of useless to vote now, but in 2008, you're way ahead of your time, DK. :good:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 06:32:23 PM »
lol, funny thread.

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 04:58:07 AM »
They want win GS. :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
:)>>>> Murray...Andy Murray...for AO '11 :)>>>>
   BOOK IT! :)>>>> :rofl_2:

So much for this 'insight'! :rofl_2:

Offline NadalGrafboy

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
Neither will ever win one.   Thus there is no answer.  Unless you mean mixed doubles.  In that case it is Jankovic beating Murray to one, as did Murray's brother (with Jelena's help).

Offline NadalGrafboy

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »

That depends.  If Djokovic keeps playing as he is now, if Nadal's body holds up a few more years, if Del Potro returns to top form, if Cilic fulfills his potential, and if generation 1990 or later became major contenders in the next year or two, or if even half of those things transpire, Murray might well never make another slam final again.   I think he is probably deflated now and his own level might never surpass or even reach the level he has already reached from late 2008-early 2011.   

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

That depends.  If Djokovic keeps playing as he is now, if Nadal's body holds up a few more years, if Del Potro returns to top form, if Cilic fulfills his potential, and if generation 1990 or later became major contenders in the next year or two, or if even half of those things transpire, Murray might well never make another slam final again.   I think he is probably deflated now and his own level might never surpass or even reach the level he has already reached from late 2008-early 2011.   
I counted 5 IF's there NGB.

Surely it will be tough for any player to take out Raf or Nole in a final.  I think Murray's got the game but needs an attitude adjustment to give him a real shot at a slam.  Only time will tell I guess. 

btw  Nice to see DPot's form improving.  It should be a great year for tennis fans!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline NadalGrafboy

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
OK I will make it more direct shall we:

1. I expect Nadal and Djokovic to be ranked above Murray for the next 3 years atleast, by which point is over Murray wont even be a threat to win a slam anymore if he hasnt yet.

2. Murray will not beat Djokovic in a slam ever, except maybe at Wimbledon if they meet in say the quarters, but that would definitely not lead to the title.   Murray will not beat Nadal in a slam ever again unless maybe it is in a hard court slam BEFORE the final, which wont lead him winning the trophy anyhow.

3. While his complete dominance of the game is probably over, Federer will continue to own Murray whenever they meet in slams, especialy in a slam semi or final, until the day he retires.

4. I expect Del Potro to pass Murray in the rankings before the year is over, and to start beating Murray regularly despite their H2H history to date.

5. I expect atleast 2 of Cilic, Raonic, Berankis, Tomic, Dimitrov, Harrison, to pass Murray in the rankings sometime before the end fo 2012.

6. Murray will never win the French Open.

7. Murray will never win Wimbledon with the pressure and with Nadal and Federer such forces there for several more years atleast.

8. Despite it being his best surface and by far best chance Murray will have an extremely hard time ever winning a hard court slam with the likes of Djokovic, Federer, Del Potro, Nadal and others to contend with there.   And in the future some of the 1990 or later guys whose games translate best to hard courts.

9. Due to his playing style in slams guys like Roddick, Sodering, Wawrinka, Youzhny, and others can upset Murray on any given day in a slam.

So I would not be at all surprised if Murray not only never wins a slam, but never even reaches another final.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:49:58 PM by NadalGrafboy »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »

1. I expect Nadal and Djokovic to be ranked above Murray for the next 3 years atleast, by which point is over Murray wont even be a threat to win a slam anymore if he hasnt yet.

2. Murray will not beat Djokovic in a slam ever, except maybe at Wimbledon if they meet in say the quarters, but that would definitely not lead to the title.   Murray will not beat Nadal in a slam ever again unless maybe it is in a hard court slam BEFORE the final, which wont lead him winning the trophy anyhow.

3. While his complete dominance of the game is probably over, Federer will continue to own Murray whenever they meet in slams, especialy in a slam semi or final, until the day he retires.

4. I expect Del Potro to pass Murray in the rankings before the year is over, and to start beating Murray regularly despite their H2H history to date.

5. I expect atleast 2 of Cilic, Raonic, Berankis, Tomic, Dimitrov, Harrison, to pass Murray in the rankings sometime before the end fo 2012.

7. Murray will never win Wimbledon with the pressure and with Nadal and Federer such forces there for several more years atleast.

8. Despite it being his best surface and by far best chance Murray will have an extremely hard time ever winning a hard court slam with the likes of Djokovic, Federer, Del Potro, Nadal and others to contend with there.   And in the future some of the 1990 or later guys whose games translate best to hard courts.

9. Due to his playing style in slams guys like Roddick, Sodering, Wawrinka, Youzhny, and others can upset Murray on any given day in a slam.

So I would not be at all surprised if Murray not only never wins a slam, but never even reaches another final.
More ambiguity mixed in with many good points.  I wouldn't be surprised if Murray doesn't win a slam either.  Then again, I won't be surprised if he does.

Nothing is a foregone conclusion, that's why they still play ALL the matches instead of just goin' 'round handin' out trophies and checks.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline NadalGrafboy

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »
Yeah of course, Donald Young could in theory win a slam one day.  It just has a 0.00001% chance to happen.   Murray could win a slam, but I think he is far more likely at this point to never win one, and it wont surprise me in the least if he never even makes another final.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
Monster, of course, it's always a good omen to have Kitty aka NadalGraffanboy's biased opinion, who tend to go through identity crisis every now and then. Remember the laws of nature? The opposite is usually true. What happens to humans when they know some things? They pretend to know it all.

But you are a wise man, Monster and that is a very rare find these days.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 03:21:40 AM »

all excellent points, welcome to the forum........i don't think even a lucky draw can save murray the way he keeps choking in slam finals.........he is not lendl anyway.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 06:32:40 AM »
Yeah of course, Donald Young could in theory win a slam one day.  It just has a 0.00001% chance to happen.   Murray could win a slam, but I think he is far more likely at this point to never win one, and it wont surprise me in the least if he never even makes another final.
Using Donald Young as an analogy for Murray's chances of winning a slam??? :confused1:

I guess we should leave it to the pros who set the betting odds to determine his actual chances.

What bugs me is people who claim to know what's going to happen in the future (usually fanboys and girls) and then don't use logic to back up their opinions.

Silly me, I should be used to that here at T4U! :)~

Competition at the top of the ATP is getting fierce which is great for tennis fans.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »
Monster, of course, it's always a good omen to have Kitty aka NadalGraffanboy's biased opinion, who tend to go through identity crisis every now and then. Remember the laws of nature? The opposite is usually true. What happens to humans when they know some things? They pretend to know it all.

But you are a wise man, Monster and that is a very rare find these days.
NGB is one of the sharpest posters here and I enjoy discussing tennis with him.  I like his passion for the game and it's players.  :thumbs-up:

We all know that the rude 'fortune-teller' fan drives me nuts but I don't think NGB is in that category.  Any discussions that we've had, have been and will continue to be civil. :)

I've often been called rare, but never wise.
Too much of a reactionary still, though I've come a long way since me youth. :PHEW:)

MT's unwise predictions-

Nadal has a better than average chance of winng RG this year. :))

Wimbledon is going to be an absolute dogfight :)>>>>, perhaps the one surface where Fed can outfox the power players.  Or maybe not.

USO can DJoker finish the year as strong as he started?  Will Rafa remain uninjured (separate odds offered on this!!!) and have any legs left?  Will Fed or Murray sneak by into another final?
Too many questions at this time. :confused1:

YEC, my favorite non-slam of the year.  Love the round robin format with the top 8. 
This one's a crapshoot as well. :))

Like I've said before, it's gonna be a helluva year for tennis fans!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »

all excellent points, welcome to the forum........i don't think even a lucky draw can save murray the way he keeps choking in slam finals.........he is not lendl anyway.........
Actually, he never left.
It's Kitty.
Like you, he changed his name.
CONK da ball!!!