Author Topic: Notes from Cincinnati Masters Tournament - August 2014  (Read 617 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Notes from Cincinnati Masters Tournament - August 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »
Hi Dallas,

....and Cilic's game declined. I certainly did not expect to see Stan serving better than Cilic. Cilic called for a trainer at the end of the first set and received treatment, I am told, for his upper right arm. So this might account for part of it. Still, after he came up to speed, you could really see why Stan won the AO.:applause:

Mertov also thought Monfils played well last night and predicted a good match tonight.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:55:43 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
I watched Djokovic from the motel TV, losing to Robredo 6-7. 5-7.  Nole played a very sloppy match.  :mad1: .
Few of the redeeming features that I saw in the match against Simon the other night.

Needed to get out of the sun for a few hours
Going over to see the Federer - Monfils match tonight .  Hoping for excitement.   :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:38:11 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »
It was a disappointing match. Frankly, I have never seen Federer play so poorly, yet Monfils mostly failed to take advantage of it. OK, it did go to three sets but little of it was exciting  ;>). Fed showed some but not very much of his famed court artistry. Monfils had the occasional impressive shot. I have seen him play a lot lot better, memorably in Washington a few years back. Mostly the serving was no better than routine with too many double faults. Fed won 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. A win, perhaps, but not worth the price of admission.  :hell-no:

I cheered myself up afterwards by going to Court 3 to see Ferrer finish off Youznhy at 7-5, 6-0. It's clear from the score that it was not nearly as mindboggling as the unforgettable match with Kohlschreiber yesterday but I'm told that Ferrer recovered from being down a break at something like 2-3 in the first set.  :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »
It's amazing how much s**tty play this year at Cincy. Maybe it's the heat and also nobody feels motivated!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 05:36:54 AM »
A new day.  :))

My first thoughts are to go and see Pospisil and Sock play doubles. Later on, I'd like to see how Raonic does with Fognini :)>>>> . But for a couple of bad shots in the tie-break, Johnson could well have been the player there. It's a pity that things are decided on so little.

Later in the day, Robredo - Ferrer (should be a good one) and Murray - Federer  will follow on center court.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:50:22 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »
Today was a good day for lots of tennis in the sun. I was out from 10 until after 5 and came through nicely by using sunscreen with SBF 70. The stuff they hand out at the tournament has SBF 30 and is not strong enough as I found out a couple of days ago.

I started off with a doubles match: Pospisil/Sock vs Peya/Soares. I'm not familar with the strategies of doubles play but I did want to see the former pair in action as they were Wimbledon winners, having beaten the Bryan brothers there. I was not aware that their opponents are no 3 in the world so the fact that Pospisil and Sock beat them in a spirited game adds additional lustre to their reputation. Score was 6-2, 5-7, 10-7. It was a fun match!
While this match was going on Benneteau had a victory over Wawrinka, which surprised everybody. I did not see the match and have not had an account of it from anybody yet.

Then Raonic and Fognini followed. When Fognini lost his opening service game, I said to myself "There goes the first set  :\ . Indeed it followed: Raonic 6-1, and the second set at 6-0 was even more decisive. Fognini called the trainer for treatment of an apparent thigh injury after the first set so he was not in good shape and his tennis was nowhere near as good as it was against Hewitt. It was good to see that Raonic has other talents besides his monster serve such as nice work at the net. He moves well for such a large fellow.

Ferrer vs Robredo was the match I enjoyed most. It went for way over 2 hours with Ferrer characterisictically squeezing out a win at 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. Mertov pointed out that these two must have played each other hundreds of times and indeed scoring was as close as could be, more so than the above numbers indicate. There were many long rallies and much beautiful tennis with well constructed points. Ferrer plays Benneteau in the semis tomorrow whch should be interesting.

I did go back for the Federer- Murray match tonight. As people like Dallas will already know, Roger won 6-3, 7-5. There was much more vintage Federer tonight but I still would not call it a great match. Both players had their clumsy moments. I enjoyed it a lot, especially seeing some of the masterstrokes that Fed pulled off. This time it was worth the price of admission. He plays Raonic tomorrow. Remembering his past talent at reading an opponent's serve (e.g. Roddick's) I expect he will come through OK.
He's my pick for the winner of the tournament now.  :winner:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:30:58 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »
Great stuff Euroka.

Bennetteau - Wawrinka match was weird.  Wawrinka cruised through the first set, than Bennetteau went for broke in the beginning of the second set, and broke Wawrinka in a key game.  From that point on the Swiss got progressively worse, sometimes missing easy put-away shots.  Bennetteau, seeing that trend, simply kept the ball in play in the third set and Wawrinka self-destructed into a routine third-set win for the French.  He was sometimes missing outside the doubles' alley, it was a really bad performance at the end of the day for Wawrinka.

I saw you in the evening session from a distance but I was going back and forth between that match and the Halep-Sharapova match which turned out to be fantastic.  Until the Fed-Murray match was over, there was only a small crowd there (see my write-up on Mertov's Tennis Desk, link is in the above thread).  And it was mostly a loud group of Romanians with flags, like a Fedcup match.  Once the crowd came from the men's match, it became packed, including the standing room only area above the stands, the "ring" area. 

Tomorrow's men's semifinals are interesting in that one of them is a surprise semifinal, and the other pits the two most consistent players of the summer.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 04:22:48 AM »
Thanks, Mert. I am having some more trouble with the flaky internet connection and/or my 10+ year old (now almost expendable) laptop. I'll try to post after today and tomorrow's events but I may end up treating my laptop the way Fognini treats his racquets so please understand if I go silent.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:37:25 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »

I saw you in the evening session from a distance but I was going back and forth between that match and the Halep-Sharapova match which turned out to be fantastic.  Until the Fed-Murray match was over, there was only a small crowd there (see my write-up on Mertov's Tennis Desk, link is in the above thread).  And it was mostly a loud group of Romanians with flags, like a Fedcup match.  Once the crowd came from the men's match, it became packed, including the standing room only area above the stands, the "ring" area. 

Tomorrow's men's semifinals are interesting in that one of them is a surprise semifinal, and the other pits the two most consistent players of the summer.

Seemingly back on line.  :)
You were lucky to have freedom of movement last night. As you might have seen, I was very much squashed in place.

Now off to the semis.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »
Serena - Wozniacki went OK. Serena played brilliantly at times but one wishes she would do it more often. She is through to the final 2-6, 6-2, 6-4. It took her a while to get going  but I didn't mind as I had to wait until 3pm for the men's match. At least, it was quiet with no shrieking.  :zipped:

The Benneteau - Ferrer match was classic Ferrer  :)) . It took Ferrer also a while to get going. Benneteau is a tall guy with a big power game and I surmise that Ferrer has not played him much (as distinct from Robredo yesterday). Until 3-3, Ferrer was systematically hitting the ball long. After that score he went into his "run everything down" strategy  and the match finished with a win at 6-3, 6-2.Tomorrow will be his Cincy final,and he will face Federer or Raonic. I don't think much of his chances unless the winner of tonight's semi has a bad day.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:38:50 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
I'll be polite and charitable and restrict my remarks to the Ivanovic - Sharapova match (won by Ivanovic with score 6-2, 5-7,-7-5 ) by saying that it contained most of the features that Alex and I complained about recently over at Mertov's Tennis Desk. The night was pleasant and the match, to say the least, interesting but it certainly was not inspirational.  :mad1:

Federer was playing the best I have seen him play in quite a long time in his match against Raonic which he won comfortably at 6-2, 6-3. Raonic never got his ground game going in the first set but was a lot better in the second. Still, he missed many first serves (although there was one that clocked at 142mph). Fed plays Ferrer in the final tomorrow. It will be a very different game but I expect the outcome to be the same.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:21:02 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »
I'm back in Washington in time to watch the men's final, remotely.
7 hours, 50 minutes, door to door again.
Wanted to avoid predicted bad weather on Monday. :rain:

:edit. That was a pretty good final.  Even though Federer won, Ferrer certainly performed creditably.  :)

It has really been great seeing all the great tennis this last week.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:55:37 PM by euroka1 »