Author Topic: Nadal out of the US Open....  (Read 263 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Nadal out of the US Open....
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:32 AM »
Just heard....  :whistle:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
Re: Nadal out of the US Open....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »
Indeed.

Rafa's career coming to an end?  The older he gets the harder it has to be to keep coming back from injuries like this.  Maybe bags one more French Open to make it an even 10 and rides off into the sunset...

Meanwhile I imagine Federer will be out there until he is 50.  He is the male Navratilov!!

The Logo Knows!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
Indeed.

Rafa's career coming to an end?  The older he gets the harder it has to be to keep coming back from injuries like this.  Maybe bags one more French Open to make it an even 10 and rides off into the sunset...

I said many years ago that Nadal's style of play, the abandon he plays with, and the effort in all of his shot making, are far more taxing on his body than Federer. I predicted than that he would be done by now. I was wrong.
But he does take longer to come back from injury than other players. Maybe he uses it to recover, and take a break. Maybe he doesn't want to risk further injury, Maybe he's just enjoying his time off too much. But I doubt he's done. That may come soon enough, but not now.
I think he will come back and dominate next year. Then something will happen just like it has the last couple years he's dominated. He's still got a few years left in his career though.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
But these injuries are occurring more frequently now than before. Sure he comes back, but then something else happens to him. The older he gets - the harder it will eventually become. All it takes is for you to become a half-step slower, or hitting the ball just a little slower and you've lost your edge. For Rafa, he can't afford to be a little slower with the game he plays. First it's the foot, then the knees, now the wrist...what will it be next, because you know it will be something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
Speaking of the US OPEN...on Directv starting Tuesday, CBS SPORTNATION (Chanel 221), will be showing live qualifying matches from 12:00 noon- 8:00 pm each day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »
I dont know.

Rog is just a tennis nut.  A true outlier.  That is why he is willing to put up with the travel / time of the tour even with 4 kids. 

Rafa on the other hand, I dont think he has that kind of mentality.  You can see how much not just physically, but mentally and emotionally the toll of the tour takes on him.

You are probably right that he will hang on a few more years.  No matter what happens, he is always the odds on fav at the french.  But he is getting injured more often now.  And he isn't getting any younger.  I wouldn't be surprised if he call it a day if he won 10 French Opens. 

10 wins at a single Major is an unassailable record.  He could be comforted with that :D
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Dmas, good to see you posting again  :).

Logo, every true tennis fan wanted Rafa to play. Unfortunately, many people question everything about Nadal and his injuries. Many things don't make any sense.

I wish him well.

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
There is nothing to question about Nadal.  He is injury prone.  Always has been always will be.

Before the days of Rog The Invulnerable, other top players got injured too.  And some like Borg retired young.  It is just the pressure of the tour. 
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Nadal just got a random injury is all.

He should be fine and ready to go when healed up.

Offline tennis lessons

• New Poster
  • Tennis, the sport of a lifetime.
    • Tennis Instruction
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
My only concern is Nadal's injuries are happening more frequently...
He's still young though and I believe he has alot left in him!  ://

Tom Grupa, CEO @ Lessons.com
Looking to improve your Tennis skills?
We have over 400 tennis instructors for private Tennis Lessons

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »
welcome to the board  :). Yes, Nadal is a young man ... if we talk about his tennis millage, he is not. However he's been able to recover so many times and win big tournaments, so let's be positive.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
welcome to the board  :). Yes, Nadal is a young man ... if we talk about his tennis millage, he is not. However he's been able to recover so many times and win big tournaments, so let's be positive.

I read somewhere that Nadal is mid-twenties, but his knees are 50+.
I don't foresee Nadal lasting as long as Federer (obviously). But I do think he will be done within 5 years. It's not just miles. Federer has lots of miles, it's stress. Its the viciousness with which Nadal hits the ball. He is better at letting a point go where he doesn't have a chance to win a it earlier. He plays a more offensive game now than he did 7 or 8 years ago, winning quicker points, coming to the net more. But that damage has already been done, and he still puts so much torque on his body and so much stress on his legs with each shot he hits.
Some are saying he seems to be getting injured more often. I don't see that. I think he is in a pattern where he dominates for a year, then takes a year off. It's been that way for about 4 or 5 years. I see that pattern continuing for a couple more iterations. I don't think he is done playing, or dominating.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:07:16 AM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
Dmas, I do believe that Fed is very smart player and he doesn't want to get into long rallies. Nadal's game has been always so physical.  He won many of his matches by simply wearing down his opponents.

I find many things strange when it comes to Nadal and his 5,6,7 months holidays but I will not go there. I just don't know. I look at his pictures and sometimes he looks skinny, then he comes back on the tour and  looks like Rambo ... Anyways, I wish him well.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
Dmas, I do believe that Fed is very smart player and he doesn't want to get into long rallies. Nadal's game has been always so physical.  He won many of his matches by simply wearing down his opponents.

I find many things strange when it comes to Nadal and his 5,6,7 months holidays but I will not go there. I just don't know. I look at his pictures and sometimes he looks skinny, then he comes back on the tour and  looks like Rambo ... Anyways, I wish him well.

If you watch the way Federer swings the racquet, and compare it to the way Nadal swings his racquet, that's one of the most physical aspects of Nadal's game. Nadal's swing takes much more effort that Federer's. Nadal's whole game is more physical. Everything Nadal does on the court is more physical than any other player.
Ferrer's game is very physical, but his actual stroke production is not that physical. Not even close to Nadal's.
This is why his body breaks down like it does.

An ambition fulfilled