Author Topic: Womens hockey, what a farce!  (Read 3013 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Womens hockey, what a farce!
« on: April 08, 2005, 03:27:03 PM »
Why are they still holding this lame excuse of a sport at the international level.    Continue holding it in the U.S and Canada, and if they need be in other countries too, but put an end to the pitiful international circuit.   The European and Asian representatives only fall into a deeper and deeper rut, as Canada and the U.S are able to humiliate not the just the balance of their opposition, but teams like Sweden and Finland, the best of the pathetic rest.    I dont know why they even keep this sport in the Olympics.   Here are some scores from preliminary play of the World Womens Hockey Championships:

Pool A

Canada defeats Kazaghstan 13-0
Canada defeats Russia        12-0
Canada defeats Sweden      10-0

Pool B

United States defeats China         8-2
United States defeats Germany    7-0
United States defeats Finland        8-1

Dont get me wrong, some 8-1, 8-2, 7-0, or even 10-0 games are acceptable from the best; but the closest game the U.S had was 8-2, and the closest game Canada had is even more telling, 10-0.  

They held semifinals today.   I dont know why they even bothered holding them.   The U.S and Canada could skate half the game on their ass and still beat anybody, apart from one another.    They should have just given everybody a break, and came back for the inevitable Sweden-Finald bronze medal game, and the U.S-Canada gold medal game.

These are examples of scores, another telling sign is the repetive results at every key placement.    If one individual is a repetitive gold medalist, you may be able to just admire their greatness and their ability to withstand the challenge of their
opposition year after year.    However all three top three spots are excessively repetetive.   Canada has won every Womens World Hockey Championships Gold so far, 8 in total.   U.S likewise has won silver all 8 times.   Finland has won bronze 7 of the 8 times, the one exception being 2001 when they chose to keep something like 10 of their top 12 players out of the tournament to do certain training.    It isnt a competition, it is mockery of elite sport.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »
The funny part for me was that I didn't even know there was women's hockey.  Sounds like the US and Canada are doing som eserious mopping up.  From an outsiders view a few years ago, the same could be said for Serena and Venus for the first week of a slam.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
The funny part for me was that I didn't even know there was women's hockey.  Sounds like the US and Canada are doing som eserious mopping up.  From an outsiders view a few years ago, the same could be said for Serena and Venus for the first week of a slam.  :)

Well even when Venus and Serena were totally dominant, and at one point around Wimbledon 2003 when they won their semis 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-1; I was starting to criticize the competitive levels of womens tennis too; they still had to give more effort,
fact some semblance even if small of danger going into a later round match, and they still faced a higher level of resistance, than what Canada and the U.S face in womens hockey.

The 2002 Winter Olympics gives a great example as well.   In a round robin game Canada beat Sweden 11-0, yes 11-0.
One might assume, in an eight team tournament, Sweden would finish 8th of 8th, or at the absolute best, 6th perhaps.   They managed to win the bronze medal.   Canada won the gold with a 3-2 win over the U.S in the final.   So the eventual gold medalist beat the eventual bronze medalist 11-0 in their head to head confrontation.   Was there a more pathetic bronze medalist in all of Salt Lake, than the Swedish womens hockey team.   I highly doubt it!

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 05:39:14 PM »
Kittens, you dont get better by throwing in the towel.  You get better by playing against the BEST.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 07:06:12 PM »
Yes, and the other countries, outside of Canada and the U.S, have gotten better at something in the last 8 years alright!
They have gotten alot better at being alot worse than Canada and the U.S, and continuing the make the games that much more embarassing and farcial!!      It isnt a World Championships or Olympics, when it comes to womens hockey, it is a circus act   except for the Canada-U.S final.     ..-)