Poll

Should Federer get a racquet with a larger head size?

No. He has 13 GS w/ 90 sq.in
15 (60%)
Yes. 93-95 sq.in
8 (32%)
Yes. 100+ sq.in
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Should Federer move up from 90sq.in?  (Read 6476 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Should Federer move up from 90sq.in?
« on: September 21, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
Roger uses the smallest racquet on tour. And the missed backhands and some forehands aren't exactly rare. Can an extra few inches help him cut down on some of those and help him?

motivation: http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=140804

Essence of the article:

Six years ago, a young prospect named Roger Federer took a small 5-inch step that ended up being a giant leap in his career. Now, after a dozen major titles and 234 weeks at No. 1, it may be time for another 5-inch step...
...despite a landmark victory over Pete Sampras at Wimbledon (in 2001), he had yet to make it past the quarterfinal of a Grand Slam. The following spring, he made a bold decision right in the middle of the clay court season – switching to a 90 square-inch version of the Pro Staff (from an 85 square -inch). The larger sweet spot allowed him to hit fewer balls off the frame and reduce his unforced errors.

The results were almost immediate. In his second tournament with the new racquet, he won Hamburg for his first Masters Series title, producing a scintillating performance in the final against then-No. 4 Marat Safin and declaring it “the best game of my life.”

The following year he became Wimbledon champion and soon afterwards started an unparalleled run at the top of the rankings, seducing everyone with his smooth technique and exquisite timing.

Federer himself isn't open to the option:
“No, I've always been very happy,” said Federer. “I never really tried a bigger head-size racquet. I don't think it would maybe help me much.
“I switched from 85 to 90 back in 2002 just before I won Hamburg. That was for me a big move because I was really shanking a lot of balls. Then I changed to a 90...Yeah, I mean, it's a great racquet for me."

Comparison sake:
Federer    90
Djokovic   93
Blake       95
Nalbandian 98
Roddick/Nadal   100

What do you think?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Should Federer move up from 90sq.in?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »
I guess he knows best... (I hope)... :))

Maybe he'll experiment during the 'short' off-season...but changing rackets can be pretty "iffy"

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »

Maybe he'll experiment during the 'short' off-season...but changing rackets can be pretty "iffy"

What's your vote?!?!?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »

What's your vote?!?!?

I said NO!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »

What's your vote?!?!?

I said NO!

:)~
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
There is some precidence. Sampras went from his Pro Staff 85 to a 95. He said it gave him more power on the backhand.
I also agree Federer knows what's best for him. I'd say (as I've always said when it comes to racquet preference) go with what makes you comfortable. If Federer is comfortable with his Tour 90, than there's no way he should switch.
However, if he is mis-hitting the ball alot (more than he has in the past) than it's not because he is incapable of playing with the Tour 90, it's because he's trying to do more with the ball than he has in the past. He's hitting up on the ball more to get more topspin, and that may make the move to a larger head a good idea.
But I still say (mental) comfort is more important.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
I voted yes.  It would benefit him at this point in his career. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »
a move to 93 would yield benefits without Roger feeling weird about it!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:43 PM »

I voted yes.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
I've always belived that he should...its about time...he's probably got the smallest one out there...even Sampras a la Fed stuck to the old racquet...these guys are geniuses...they adjust fairly quickly...he must change.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
I wouldn't say Yes if I hadn't noticed how many shanks and mis-fires he has endured this year. 
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »
It would be interesting to see if it would make a difference.  I would like to hear his personal take on it.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »
I think it's entirely personal preference and I can't think of anyone who knows Roger's game better than Federer himself......     except for maybe Rafa! ;-()

Didn't DavyD just switch to a tighter string pattern in an attempt to gain more control of his ratchet?

I would think any equipment change would require an adjustment in his game and I'm not sure the dividends warrant the investment of that time for Roger at this point in his career.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »
I think it's entirely personal preference and I can't think of anyone who knows Roger's game better than Federer himself......     except for maybe Rafa! ;-()

Didn't DavyD just switch to a tighter string pattern in an attempt to gain more control of his ratchet?

I would think any equipment change would require an adjustment in his game and I'm not sure the dividends warrant the investment of that time for Roger at this point in his career.

I think he went in the other direction. He swtiched to a more powerfull racquet in the spring and promptly won the Sony Ericsson.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »

I think he went in the other direction. He swtiched to a more powerfull racquet in the spring and promptly won the Sony Ericsson.
Not sure how his previous stick compares with the new one power wise but I thought I remembered the denser string pattern bit.  Perhaps we're both right!

April 24, 2008
Davydenko's Racquet Switch Leads to Spike in Popularity of Prince O3
Two weeks ago, Nikolay Davydenko put together a string of wins at the Sony Ericsson Open beating Andy Roddick and Rafael Nadal en route to capturing the biggest title of his career. His play on court, combined with the romantic story of how he switched from the Ozone Tour to the denser string pattern of the Ozone Pro Tour prior to his first round match, and how he used the same frame to march through the draw, are becoming something of tennis lore. His results and outspoken affinity for his "new" O3 racquet, have not only led to a surge in his popularity but created a noticeable spike in demand for the racquet as well.

"While it is sometimes difficult to ascertain whether there is a direct correlation between an athlete's on court performance and sales success, this is proof positive that it can make an impact given the fact that in the week immediately following his win, demand for the Ozone Tour and Ozone Pro Tour jumped considerably," said Linda Glassel, Vice President of Marketing for Prince. "In fact, from the week prior to Davydenko's picking up the new frame to the week following his win, we saw demand increase by nearly four times. When a player truly feels that a racquet has made a difference, it validates that there is something special."

Davydenko playtested the Ozone Pro Tour between the Pacific Life Open and Sony Ericsson Open and liked the feel of the denser string pattern immediately. He went into the tournament with a couple of the new racquets in his bag but favored one frame in particular and stuck with it throughout the tournament. During the trophy presentation, Davydenko told on-court reporter Mary Joe Fernandez that he would "keep this racquet forever". While he may feel differently as Prince introduces him to newer models moving forward, what is for certain is that his decision to pick up the Ozone Pro Tour, with its 18 x 20 (denser) string pattern, coupled with his championship run have proved to be an extremely positive combination for a Prince brand that is already seeing strong growth and momentum in the market.

With the win, Davydenko became the first Russian ever to win this prestigious event. In speaking openly about how comfortable he was with the Ozone Pro Tour, Davydenko piqued the interest of players globally, continuing the buzz around Prince's visible O3 racquet technology. Today, there are over 100 touring pros using various racquet models with O3 technology, and nearly everyone who has made the switch to an O3 frame has improved his or her ranking.

According to Tom Russ, Director of Touring Pros for Prince, "Nikolay is very in tune with his equipment. He was one of the first players on tour to switch to O3 and knew immediately that the denser pattern would give him added control. Players are very aware of what O3 technology has done to raise the rankings of their peers and new players are asking which O3 frame might take their game to the next level."

Following his win in Miami, Davydenko then went on to reach the finals of the clay court tournament in Estoril, Portugal. More recently, at the U.S Clay Court Championships in Houston, Texas, in only his eighth ATP event, Marcel Granollers-Pujols won his first title, using the Ozone Tour to beat James Blake and move his ranking from #84 to #54.

http://www.whatsalltheracquet.com/archives/018414.php
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
I guess Federer switched to a larger frame. It's a little over 100 I think. tennisfan found out, the frame was too large to hide and get away with!

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=10900.0

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »
I guess Federer switched to a larger frame. It's a little over 100 I think. tennisfan found out, the frame was too large to hide and get away with!

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=10900.0

I saw this in the other thread too.  At first I thought you had some news I didn't know... then I saw the video! :rofl_2:

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 01:05:46 AM »
No!  If it were up to Roger; I think he would move back down to the PS 85!  I think he was under pressure from Wilson to move up in size for marketing sales.  He plays better with a smaller head then the larger 90 he is using.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:08 AM »
No!  If it were up to Roger; I think he would move back down to the PS 85!  I think he was under pressure from Wilson to move up in size for marketing sales.  He plays better with a smaller head then the larger 90 he is using.

What do you make of his success that followed from his switch to the 90? He went from an occassionally brilliant player to a consistently brilliant player, winning his first masters and then eventually turning the tables on his rivals and owning the next 5 years. True it could have happened anyway considering he can play tennis no matter what but I think he too commented on it being a good change since he had way too many missed and framed shots earlier. One must realize that Federer's forehand, while less than Nadal, has more topspin than some can imagine, especially for his time period. A wider racquet definitely helped him I think.

now the racquet in your avatar is probably a little too much, just a little. maybe.  :)~ Welcome to the forums!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:44 AM »
No!  If it were up to Roger; I think he would move back down to the PS 85!  I think he was under pressure from Wilson to move up in size for marketing sales.   He plays better with a smaller head then the larger 90 he is using.
Do you have any facts to back up that statement or is it just a guess?  I don't think Mr. Wilson would be very happy if it's true!!! :))

Welcome to the forums and have fun. :)
CONK da ball!!!