Author Topic: Which racquet to choose for tennis elbow?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Richt

• New Poster
Which racquet to choose for tennis elbow?
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:22:03 AM »
Hello guys,

I'm recovering from a tennis elbow injury and have gotten the advice to try a 'nicer' racquet for the arm. I now play with Yonex RDX500 (Pim-Pim Johanssons old ones actually :) ) which I think is quite soft and flexible but I thought I might see what other similar racquets there are.

I've tried the Babolat AeroPro Drive a couple of times but from what I've heard and felt that one is a bit tougher and also stiffer -> worse on the arm.

Can you guys offer me some advice on what to think about when choosing a new racquet without increasing the risk of further injury?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Which racquet to choose for tennis elbow?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
I have heard of people using the Pro Kennex racquets for the elbow friendlier racquets.  Not sure if they still make them or not though.  My friend seems to think they went out of business.

Welcome to the forums!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »
My suggestion is to look at your strokes and your string before you look at your racquet. Have a pro look at your backhand (if it's onehanded) and your serve.
Common cause of tennis elbow are; bent elbow at contact with a one handed backhand, improper arm postion or over torquing of the arm on the server (especially when trying to hit it with topspin), and to a lesser extent straight elbow when hitting forehands.
If these fail, or you don't what to go the pro route, softer strings, and lower tension can also help.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Richt

• New Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:24 AM »
Cheers for the welcome, there's quite a bit to read here so I think i'll stick around! :)

My technique has already been analyzed and corrected. As dmastous said the probable cause for the injury was over torquing of the arm when hitting a forehand. It feels better now when I play. I've also tried to play with different strings with lower tension.

Any more racquet ideas?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »
I wish I knew of some ideas but I am not the best with equipment.  Dmast is our local equipment guru. 

Glad to hear you will stick around.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline djinni9

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »
Cheers for the welcome, there's quite a bit to read here so I think i'll stick around! :)

My technique has already been analyzed and corrected. As dmastous said the probable cause for the injury was over torquing of the arm when hitting a forehand. It feels better now when I play. I've also tried to play with different strings with lower tension.

Any more racquet ideas?

Hi, I play with a Volkl C10. I've tried other 'player's' racquets and none even come close to the comfort of this stick. I also have two classic Pro Kennex player's frames, they're indeed wonderful but not as great as the Volkl. i've never had any problem with my arm (elbow, shoulder, or wrist) with this frame, even on days when i played 5-6 hours. Besides, it's a truly great racquet in many aspects, suitable for baseline grinding or net play. Also, I would recommend Technifibre strings (unless you go for gut); the discontinued 515 was the best, IMO, now they have NRG2, a bit stiffer; and x-one biphase. read some reviews and try them. and, yeah, string just below medium recommended tension.

Offline rustygrooser

• Tennis Player
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:35:21 AM »
I am using Babolat aero blast.  But last month I got this tennis elbow.  I have been using it for almost 2 years.  Now I switched to Babolat Drive OZ.  I have tested it the other day.  I am not yet sure if my tennis elbow was gone.  Will keepp you posted.