Poll

How do you hit passing shots?

Favor cross court most often
Favor down the line most often
Right at the player or lob most often
Favor one of the above more than others (explain)
I equally mix it up because I am a tennis God

Author Topic: Passing shots poll  (Read 4449 times)

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
Passing shots poll
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:57 AM »
I try to mix up my passing shots as much as possible.  I don't lob too much, but I do mix it up as much as possible to keep them guessing.  The crosscourt shot is obviously the safest bet, but it can also be predictable.  Therefore, I generally use about a 65/35 crosscourt to down the line ratio, with an occasional lob or shot right at the player mixed in for good measure.  This seems to work pretty well for me.

What do you guys do to win points when the opponent is at net?
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Re: Passing shots poll
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »
forehand i will go sharp crosscourt 90% of the time.  i hit with a lot of spin so it usually gives me something floaty i can put away on the second shot.  on the backhand i tend to go for the kill right away, maybe 40-30-30 between crosscourt, down the line or an offensive lob
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
I mix it up but not because I am a tennis god.  I think it all depends on what shot was hit to me, where my opponent is on the court, what side they like to protect, if they move early, what side I am hitting off of, etc.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
These days down the line is all I have left. I used to love hitting sharp crosscourt roll shots off the forehand side, but I can't hit them anymore.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
These days down the line is all I have left. I used to love hitting sharp crosscourt roll shots off the forehand side, but I can't hit them anymore.

My cross court dipper on the forehand side is not what it use to be either.  I think a lot of that has to do with the fact I play hardly any singles.  I can hit a cross court forehand no problem, but the nasty dipper, not so much.
Scott Baker

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
It's all about variety for me, but I'm no tennis god :rofl_2:. Down the line, crosscourt, dipper, lob. It helps to open up passing shot angles. I do like to introduce the lob early on(hopefully a good one) so your opponent knows that you have it and will respect it, which again will open up passing angles.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:27:03 PM by Pacer »
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »
It's all about variety for me, but I'm no tennis god :rofl_2:. Down the line, crosscourt, dipper, lob. It helps to open up passing shot angles. I do like to introduce the lob early on(hopefully a good one) so your opponent knows that you have it and will respect it, which again will open up passing angles.

We used to say the passing shot is a two shot shot. Your inital shot is not an attempt to pass, but designed to get your opponent off balance while not really giving him (or her) too much opportunity to hit a winner. Down the line was normally the first shot, crosscourt the next, or back down the line if your opponent is too hasty in covering the cross court.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 06:47:19 AM »

Pacer, in our world, you are a tennis God!   :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:08:19 AM »

You are both Tennis Gods according to your T4U title.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:09:05 AM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »

I think we're all tennis gods here. A lot of people here know their stuff. ;-()
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »

We used to say the passing shot is a two shot shot. Your initial shot is not an attempt to pass, but designed to get your opponent off balance while not really giving him (or her) too much opportunity to hit a winner. Down the line was normally the first shot, crosscourt the next, or back down the line if your opponent is too hasty in covering the cross court.

That's a good point. I think many people fail to realize that the initial passing shot doesn't need to be an outright winner. You can use it as a setup shot to get a favorable reply. A well struck shot that produces a weak volley is the better play in my book. Most importantly, it alleviates the pressure from feeling you need to hit an outright passing shot winner in order for the shot to be effective.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:14:02 PM by Pacer »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »

We used to say the passing shot is a two shot shot. Your initial shot is not an attempt to pass, but designed to get your opponent off balance while not really giving him (or her) too much opportunity to hit a winner. Down the line was normally the first shot, crosscourt the next, or back down the line if your opponent is too hasty in covering the cross court.

That's a good point. I think many people fail to realize that the initial passing shot doesn't need to be an outright winner. You can use it as a setup shot to get a favorable reply. A well struck shot that produces a weak volley is the better play in my book. Most importantly, it alleviates the pressure from feeling you need to hit an outright passing shot winner in order for the shot to be effective.

Hmm... this is a real gem here, one I hadn't thought of before. I had a similar epiphany almost a few years ago where I saw Connors playing and then saying something to the effect of your first volley is your setup volley, you don't aim to win points off it, so its ok that you are not right on the net for your first volley and your first volley sets up a tough return for your opponent which you then finish off with a proper volley. a two step process. I was like "wow that's amazing" after that and am in a similar position now.

That said, the passing shot usually is given in a tough situation. So you don't have the full freedom most of the times to put the ball where you want so I feel you are almost just going for the winner because if you are in a tough position, you either 1) go for the winner/passing shot and make it, 2) go for the winner/passing shot and miss 3) go for a tough return and miss 4) go for a tough return and make it and draw an error or 5) go for the tough return and make it and have the ball put away by your opponent.

While i do admit making your opponent play the extra tough volley is important, I jsut go for the winner.

and I can't hit cross court passing shots too well. I try and sometimes make it but I am not confident. So I go down the line. Or lobs, I like lobs too.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »

Hmm... this is a real gem here, one I hadn't thought of before. I had a similar epiphany almost a few years ago where I saw Connors playing and then saying something to the effect of your first volley is your setup volley, you don't aim to win points off it, so its ok that you are not right on the net for your first volley and your first volley sets up a tough return for your opponent which you then finish off with a proper volley. a two step process. I was like "wow that's amazing" after that and am in a similar position now.

That said, the passing shot usually is given in a tough situation. So you don't have the full freedom most of the times to put the ball where you want so I feel you are almost just going for the winner because if you are in a tough position, you either 1) go for the winner/passing shot and make it, 2) go for the winner/passing shot and miss 3) go for a tough return and miss 4) go for a tough return and make it and draw an error or 5) go for the tough return and make it and have the ball put away by your opponent.

While i do admit making your opponent play the extra tough volley is important, I jsut go for the winner.

and I can't hit cross court passing shots too well. I try and sometimes make it but I am not confident. So I go down the line. Or lobs, I like lobs too.

Well, ideally you want to play the percentages. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't play the low percentage shot from time to time. I call it my Nadal moments. :rofl_2: It just feels so good when it lands in. :))

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »

Well, ideally you want to play the percentages. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't play the low percentage shot from time to time. I call it my Nadal moments. :rofl_2: It just feels so good when it lands in. :))

I talk a good game, but I don't play smart tennis, and I don't play percentages well in singles. I don't know my limitations anymore, so I'm always trying to hit shots I just can't hit anymore.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »
It's awfully tempting to go for that winner. 
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »
I like to mix it up, I think it's the smart play.  Helps to keep the opponent off balance.
That being said, when I'm under pressure and on the run, I always hit down the line on both wings. :)&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
That's the shot I have the most confidence in and it feels soooo good to land those!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

I talk a good game, but I don't play smart tennis, and I don't play percentages well in singles. I don't know my limitations anymore, so I'm always trying to hit shots I just can't hit anymore.

Is it because you don't play singles much these days? I don't play much doubles at all. When I do, I find it somewhat hard to adjust to, especially when playing against a very good team. I played some doubles earlier this year, but I felt like my teammate carried me really. I have a pretty good serve and good volley skills but for some reason I'm just not a good doubles player.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »

Is it because you don't play singles much these days? I don't play much doubles at all. When I do, I find it somewhat hard to adjust to, especially when playing against a very good team. I played some doubles earlier this year, but I felt like my teammate carried me really. I have a pretty good serve and good volley skills but for some reason I'm just not a good doubles player.

Volleys are about the only thing I have left that I feel confident in. My volley stroke is very simple and I think I've always had good hands so it's almost natural. I'm tall and used to have a good serve, and overhead. The serve is average now, and the overhead is poor,  I don't get lobbed often, and I'm pretty quick about the net. Doubles takes advantage of my natural aggressiveness on the court. I can attack knowing I don't have as much court to cover.
I have never played singles much. In college I played about 60/40 singles/doubles. After college it was about 30/70 singles/doubles. Now when I get on court at all, it's nealry always doubles. When I did play singles, it was drilling or just knocking the ball around, sometimes plying 11s, but not playing many matches. So my singles experience may be that of a 3.0 player while my doubles experience may be at 5.0 (though the skills are not there anymore).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:09 PM »

Hey, those are the shots that keep you coming back! 

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »

Volleys are about the only thing I have left that I feel confident in. My volley stroke is very simple and I think I've always had good hands so it's almost natural. I'm tall and used to have a good serve, and overhead. The serve is average now, and the overhead is poor,  I don't get lobbed often, and I'm pretty quick about the net. Doubles takes advantage of my natural aggressiveness on the court. I can attack knowing I don't have as much court to cover.
I have never played singles much. In college I played about 60/40 singles/doubles. After college it was about 30/70 singles/doubles. Now when I get on court at all, it's nealry always doubles. When I did play singles, it was drilling or just knocking the ball around, sometimes plying 11s, but not playing many matches. So my singles experience may be that of a 3.0 player while my doubles experience may be at 5.0 (though the skills are not there anymore).

Yeah, I played a lot more doubles in college myself, coach wanted it that way. I think the biggest issue with doubles for me is my style of play. I like to work the point with the intention of grinding my opponent down. So it's hard for me to abandon that mentality when playing doubles because it's my natural play style. But hey, right about now I wish I could play period, doubles, singles, whatever. Not even being able to practice, makes things pretty boring these days.