Author Topic: Tennis ball machine reviews???  (Read 2674 times)

Offline 10usnut

• Tennis Player
    • http://www.tennisladder.org
Tennis ball machine reviews???
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:22:36 PM »
Howdy,

It's been a while since my last post (darn work getting in the way of things ;).  However, I'm hoping to purchase a tennis ball machine by the end of this year and currently like the silent partner models but would like to know what other folks are using and their experiences with it.  I've searched the newsgroups and web and can't find anything too recent (don't get me started on that lame review in tennis magazine...).  Also, folks who have them (any model)..how much of an improvement has been to your overall game?

Well, back to work.

chris
Work or live in the Triangle (NC)???
Why not compete on the online tennis ladder
@ www.tennisladder.org

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 05:12:25 PM »
I wish I knew more about them but I do not.  I loved hitting with them in high school though.

Here are a few links:

http://www.collinstennismachines.com/

http://www.tennis101.com/ball_machines.htm

I hope they help.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline T rat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 05:19:35 PM »
I just bought a Lobster elite 2 and it has been a great asset.  It simulates play situation with both vertical and horizontal mixing in the course of th occelation (sp).  It has really helped my eleven year old define her quickness (one shot in one corner the next possibly in the other...Also it hits both topspin and backspin very well, helping her prepare better for the obiquitous topspin pushers in her age bracket.

It's easy to use and the battery has stayed fully charged through our longest workouts (so far 3 hours).

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 07:39:24 AM »
Quote from: "T rat"
I just bought a Lobster elite 2 and it has been a great asset.  It simulates play situation with both vertical and horizontal mixing in the course of th occelation (sp).  It has really helped my eleven year old define her quickness (one shot in one corner the next possibly in the other...Also it hits both topspin and backspin very well, helping her prepare better for the obiquitous topspin pushers in her age bracket.

It's easy to use and the battery has stayed fully charged through our longest workouts (so far 3 hours).

Thanks for the info.  In the past, I scoffed at the Lobster as being inferior but have continued to find good comments such as yours.  Did you buy yours direct from Lobster or were you able to get it cheaper than the standard $1299?

Have a great day!

Offline T rat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:45:35 AM »
I could find no discounts at all so I just bought it from Lobster.

This machine outperforms the machines that our two clubs in town have, I'll have to check what brand they are (I forgot).

The thing that was a huge selling point to me was the weight (40 lbs) and mobility...Easily lifted into my truck or trunk.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a Lobster. We have 3 ball machines here at Pierce College, a Lobster, a Tennis Tutor and a really big one that you can't backpack around. If you want something reliable and easy to move around, then get a Tennis Tutor. You can get a used one for around 600 bucks (don't quote me on that though).
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline 10usnut

• Tennis Player
    • http://www.tennisladder.org
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 12:16:07 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
I wouldn't recommend a Lobster. We have 3 ball machines here at Pierce College, a Lobster, a Tennis Tutor and a really big one that you can't backpack around. If you want something reliable and easy to move around, then get a Tennis Tutor. You can get a used one for around 600 bucks (don't quote me on that though).

Is the Lobster one of the newer ones or an older pneumatic machine (one with the long tube that sounds like a banshee???)
Work or live in the Triangle (NC)???
Why not compete on the online tennis ladder
@ www.tennisladder.org

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »
It's one of those older model. It sounds like a vaccum cleaner with a long tube. They have a new model?
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline T rat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 01:50:38 PM »
The older ones certainly have issues and I wouldn't hae gotten one, but the elite 2 is really great.